is microsoft making live's deathbed?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dsman418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 dsman418
Member since 2005 • 1755 Posts
do you think that microsoft is destroying live by offering most of the features you have to pay for on 360, for free on live. i think microsoft needs to make gold free on 360 or theyll kill live. wut do u think.
Avatar image for rougewarrior198
rougewarrior198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 rougewarrior198
Member since 2006 • 1425 Posts
If they could make it free, that would be awesome. That will never happen though.
Avatar image for Goldeneyemaster
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Goldeneyemaster
Member since 2003 • 6906 Posts
do you think that microsoft is destroying live by offering most of the features you have to pay for on 360, for free on live. i think microsoft needs to make gold free on 360 or theyll kill live. wut do u think.dsman418
It is $4 a month. Get over it.
dsman418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dsman418
If they could make it free, that would be awesome. That will never happen though.rougewarrior198
why not, this is what im arguing u see. there babying pc gamers and giving them free online play. which is what is expected on pc, but still if they made live on pc free(gold) then make like a platnuim for 360, then make gold free. and make sure gold has free online.
leebec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 leebec
Member since 2004 • 77 Posts
Its excellent value for money considering the functionality you get with the live service. Although Sony's looks flashier, you can't do half the stuff you can do with Xbox Live. $4 for the amount of enjoyment I get from it is nothing compared with subscription TV for example.
dsman418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dsman418
[QUOTE="dsman418"]do you think that microsoft is destroying live by offering most of the features you have to pay for on 360, for free on live. i think microsoft needs to make gold free on 360 or theyll kill live. wut do u think.Goldeneyemaster

look i pay i have gold. i dont mind paying for it, but if there gunna give the pc free online, give the 360. otherwise there bias
xJEST3Rx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 xJEST3Rx
Member since 2005 • 799 Posts
48 bucks a year is nothin. i doubt people who have enough money to buy a $400 console cant afford paying 48 dollars over a span of a year
dsman418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dsman418
Its excellent value for money considering the functionality you get with the live service. Although Sony's looks flashier, you can't do half the stuff you can do with Xbox Live. $4 for the amount of enjoyment I get from it is nothing compared with subscription TV for example. leebec
does any1 get it. ts not the price that bothers me it the whole concept.
dsman418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dsman418
48 bucks a year is nothin. i doubt people who have enough money to buy a $400 console cant afford paying 48 dollars over a span of a yearxJEST3Rx
uhh its the concept not the price. if they can afford to make it free on the pc, why not on the 360
xJEST3Rx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xJEST3Rx
the concept is if there are over a million XBL users and each has to pay 48 dollars a year that = 48 million bucks microsoft is making which is a pretty large sum if u ask me
IM_NO_NOOB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 IM_NO_NOOB
Member since 2005 • 151 Posts
its also free because no one would pay for it, its way to easy to play any game for your pc online, well any game that has online support that is, unlike 360 where you have only one choice, and thats live
0dazubeN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 0dazubeN
Member since 2006 • 1569 Posts
[QUOTE="dsman418"]do you think that microsoft is destroying live by offering most of the features you have to pay for on 360, for free on live. i think microsoft needs to make gold free on 360 or theyll kill live. wut do u think.Goldeneyemaster

Fo Sho.
Snake_Cro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Snake_Cro
Member since 2003 • 325 Posts
i dont mind payin 60 bucks a year but stupid things like gamer themes gamer pics and new patches or movies. i mean comeon these are things that shoud be free.
lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts
best 50$ i have spent on gaming
chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#15 chandlerr_360
Member since 2006 • 5078 Posts
Yeah, stop whining. And no, you are obviously not concerned with the "concept", so stop trying to cover up the fact that you hate paying the money, which in the end is helping MS, which is letting us gamers get awesome games, XBL service, and consoles that we all know and love. Get over it.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Only thing that I dont like is the lack of dedicated game servers, there is no excuse for it, we should have them.
GTZ2k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 GTZ2k3
Member since 2003 • 472 Posts
Just to clear things up, PC's Live is NOT free.  If you pay for XBL Gold, you get a free account for the PC.  But it still requires a gold subscription.
Rvdecwthug1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rvdecwthug1976
Member since 2005 • 4593 Posts

best 50$ i have spent on gaming

lge777

Same here, I have had my 360, 8 months now and I have never been happier as a gamer and Xbox live has kept me not playing games

Because other consoles that lacked online functions and various interactivities just bored me and I would go several months before even touching those consoles anymore

kyle_toker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kyle_toker
Member since 2004 • 4950 Posts
do you think that microsoft is destroying live by offering most of the features you have to pay for on 360, for free on live. i think microsoft needs to make gold free on 360 or theyll kill live. wut do u think.dsman418
i dont think so because the online for xbox is way better and people will pay for it
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
Only thing that I dont like is the lack of dedicated game servers, there is no excuse for it, we should have them.V4LENT1NE
100% correct. No more "shared web hosting" garbage.
needagoodname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 needagoodname
Member since 2007 • 1361 Posts

[QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"][QUOTE="dsman418"]do you think that microsoft is destroying live by offering most of the features you have to pay for on 360, for free on live. i think microsoft needs to make gold free on 360 or theyll kill live. wut do u think.dsman418

look i pay i have gold. i dont mind paying for it, but if there gunna give the pc free online, give the 360. otherwise there bias

1) It's "they're" biased, as in "they are" biased.

2) Think of it as cancelling out all the FREE demos and FREE map packs that some games like Gears of War get.

Seriously, I'd contemplate $50 a year for demos alone.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

I'm pretty ok with paying for live, because I know you get what you pay for. Yes PC has free internet gaming, but then again a lot of what you can play for free on the PC is not worth it. Bad laggy servers, cheaters, no universal voice. Many of the other features that live makes you pay for i'm completely happy with having to lay down a measly $50 a year to just have it all in one nice neat little package.

As far as live going to PC for free, I think if MS would have charged for it that would have been ok with me as well. But on the other hand I think  a whole lot of current PC gamers would have revolted because they are used to getting stuff for free. Now of course they aren't used to getting that nice little tidy package of features I reffered to earlier, but I doubt they'd even notice that in all there rage.

Live cost money, most things that are good do. 

needagoodname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 needagoodname
Member since 2007 • 1361 Posts
Also, if the cost was going to kill Live like you say, I think it would have happened sometime in the first 5 years it was out (if I'm correct in remembering that it came out in '02) I don't think NOW is going to be when people start declaring war on Live
8sardinr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 8sardinr
Member since 2004 • 146 Posts

[QUOTE="leebec"]Its excellent value for money considering the functionality you get with the live service. Although Sony's looks flashier, you can't do half the stuff you can do with Xbox Live. $4 for the amount of enjoyment I get from it is nothing compared with subscription TV for example. dsman418
does any1 get it. ts not the price that bothers me it the whole concept.

The concept of what? Paying for a service? Welcome to life buddy. 

flatline711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 flatline711
Member since 2005 • 2015 Posts
Only thing that I dont like is the lack of dedicated game servers, there is no excuse for it, we should have them.V4LENT1NE
Yeah. I say get some Dedicated Servers and have Gold Members play on those, while Silver Members play in Player Hosted games.
Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#26 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts
no because the feature that is 95% of live is multiplayer, and you still have to buy that
W_Birkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 W_Birkin
Member since 2006 • 250 Posts
lol its only like £40 for 12 month's, and it pwnz... well worth the money i think
ashghan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ashghan
Member since 2006 • 507 Posts
48 bucks a year is nothin. i doubt people who have enough money to buy a $400 console cant afford paying 48 dollars over a span of a yearxJEST3Rx
Yeh, but not all of these kids have credit cards. So unless they can use someone else's, they're screwed.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#29 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts
MS offers and delievers on excellent online whenever someone chooses to use it. You do not have to buy it, they are not forcing you, 50 dollars is more than reasonable with the content it holds.
ILostOnJeprody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ILostOnJeprody
Member since 2005 • 338 Posts
As much as I agree with the replies, I must say that everyone is ignoring the main point the original poster brought up. This thread is not about having to pay for Live's service. Rather, the original poster was questioning the fact that Live's multiplayer on PCs will be free while one will still have to pay to play online multiplayer on the 360. Unfortunately, the OP mistyped his first post and forgot to include the fact that he was referring to Live on PC. Still, he clarified in a later post. Basically, it seems as if nobody is taking the time to read the entire thread, as almost everyone keeps posting the same exact, unrelated fact that Live is relatively cheap. Please, before you respond, read all posts to gain complete knowledge of the topic and to avoid redundancy. I apologize for going off on this little rant, but I can no longer stand to read 15 of the exact same posts, none of which relate to the topic. To get back on topic, I suppose that it is slightly "unfair" that Live Silver on the PC will offer multiplayer, while the 360's silver package does not allow for online play. This would be excusable if Microsoft actually hosted dedicated servers, but they do not. Still, one must understand that Microsoft is a business, and as long as people will pay for a console's online multiplayer, Microsoft will continue to charge a fee.
Miniaaron777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Miniaaron777
Member since 2005 • 812 Posts

[QUOTE="xJEST3Rx"]48 bucks a year is nothin. i doubt people who have enough money to buy a $400 console cant afford paying 48 dollars over a span of a yearashghan
Yeh, but not all of these kids have credit cards. So unless they can use someone else's, they're screwed.

isn't there 1 year cards u can buy 

kyle_1865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 kyle_1865
Member since 2005 • 1025 Posts

so true, if you cant afford that, pathetic
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

haha, exactly....come on people....you bought the system...live should be nothing

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

[QUOTE="xJEST3Rx"]48 bucks a year is nothin. i doubt people who have enough money to buy a $400 console cant afford paying 48 dollars over a span of a yearashghan

umm...thats untrue....i dont have a credit card yet i have xbl :O....shocker isnt it?...no...its not....you buy xbl cards at any gaming store

stealthrodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 stealthrodent
Member since 2003 • 1508 Posts

Seriously, that's nothing.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11997 Posts
If they could make it free, that would be awesome. That will never happen though.rougewarrior198
agreed
sniperx999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sniperx999
Member since 2004 • 147 Posts

[QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"][QUOTE="dsman418"]do you think that microsoft is destroying live by offering most of the features you have to pay for on 360, for free on live. i think microsoft needs to make gold free on 360 or theyll kill live. wut do u think.dsman418

From what ive read, it seems to me that live PC will not be free, just like the xbox version.  now i may have misunderstood what i was reading but i think if pc gamers want the functionality of xbox live, theyre going to have to pay just like 360 users 

munsoned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 munsoned
Member since 2006 • 3064 Posts
[QUOTE="xJEST3Rx"]48 bucks a year is nothin. i doubt people who have enough money to buy a $400 console cant afford paying 48 dollars over a span of a yeardsman418
uhh its the concept not the price. if they can afford to make it free on the pc, why not on the 360

prolly b/c most have been payin for xbox live for about 6 years now.and pc owners are used to free online play what better way to get them to jump in then free play?
sonofabear17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sonofabear17
Member since 2006 • 1941 Posts
yea that would be cew if it was free
stormtrooper32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 stormtrooper32
Member since 2004 • 2221 Posts

Wow...complaining about $50 a year? Get a job :roll:

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts
[QUOTE="rougewarrior198"]If they could make it free, that would be awesome. That will never happen though.dsman418
why not, this is what im arguing u see. there babying pc gamers and giving them free online play. which is what is expected on pc, but still if they made live on pc free(gold) then make like a platnuim for 360, then make gold free. and make sure gold has free online.

When they start the live for PC the gold isn't going to be free not to mention Microsoft gets money for almost every computer sold because they provide the Operating System so playing games on PC was never exactly free.
SkillzLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SkillzLife
Member since 2005 • 735 Posts
according to the xbl gaming community microsoft is killing when it comes to activity, didn't they surpass like 4 million users lil while ago?
xJEST3Rx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xJEST3Rx

you can get the prepaid subscription cards duhhh
The_One_White

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The_One_White
Member since 2006 • 1417 Posts
Well to all people complaining just buy one less McDonalds a month and there you go....LIVE
death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
You have to pay for your internet = not free PC play. And most pc games have a subscription to play online. Your theory just went out the window.
death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
[QUOTE="dsman418"]do you think that microsoft is destroying live by offering most of the features you have to pay for on 360, for free on live. i think microsoft needs to make gold free on 360 or theyll kill live. wut do u think.SkillzLife
according to the xbl gaming community microsoft is killing when it comes to activity, didn't they surpass like 4 million users lil while ago?

They're on over six mil i think.
b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts
Xbox Live isn't free on the PC. There is still a gold subscription. With the gold, they get multiplayer achievements and will be included in Xbox Live matchmaking. It's not worth it as much on the PC, but they don't get everything for free.
spidermanc2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 spidermanc2k
Member since 2003 • 748 Posts
Paying 50 bucks for a whole year isn't that bad. Even though PSN is free right now, it is still not up to par with Live. However, if/when it does catch up to live as far as features and services, then I hope Microsoft will have some way of giving us Gold subscribers a little something extra.
Avatar image for SMASHED_ASPHALT
SMASHED_ASPHALT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SMASHED_ASPHALT
Member since 2007 • 1777 Posts

You could look at this way: $4 a month to give a game(s) long lasting appeal for possibly months with DLC & Multiplayer

-OR-

You could buy a new game, lets say every 6 months, and that would still cost you $10 a month for a $60 game.

It sure would be great if it was free. Everyone would love that so they wouldn't have to "skip McDonalds" even once a month, but even PC gamers have to pay for what would be DLC buy purchasing expansion packs (i.e. Shivering Isles) so it is really not free for them and they have to pay a fee for some multiplayer games anyways. But believe me when I say WE ALL wish it was free, that would be awesome.

J_Myster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 J_Myster
Member since 2004 • 127 Posts
Just to clear things up, PC's Live is NOT free.  If you pay for XBL Gold, you get a free account for the PC.  But it still requires a gold subscription.
GTZ2k3
GTZ2k3 is correct. Get your facts straight before you post a useless topic. I love it when people are too stupid to know that they are stupid.