Is it worth it getting a 360 this late in gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

peruwolf93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 peruwolf93
Member since 2010 • 110 Posts

Given that the Xbox One has no backwards compatability, would you guys recommend getting an Xbox 360 now or wait for a price cut or don't get it at all? I have a PS3 and a Wii U but always wanted to play games like Halo or Gears of War, I'm just afraid the Xbox 360 won't get more support from Microsoft and the community will not be as big. I'm planning on getting an Xbox One at some point though.

Keegan_2634

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Keegan_2634
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

if you have lasted this long without playing those games then it will be smarter just wait for the new Xbox 1.

I'm not trying to come off as a jackass or something like that I personally had a xbox 360 and I found myself getting bored of Halo and gears of war quite fast due to crazy increase in sequels but I personally liked it for Alan wake that's about it.

So I would totally just wait for the new Xbox.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I have a PS3 and a Wii U but always wanted to play games like Halo or Gears of Warperuwolf93
Wait. There might be a price drop around the time of the X1. As for your other fears, both systems are officially "dying systems" at this point. Every month will see fewer and fewer games going into production and fewer devs working on the system. The community will shrink despite a growing number of consumers buying console as at this point, it's just the cheapskates buying the system now and they probably won't be paying for Live and playing online with you.
ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ShaineTheNerd
Member since 2012 • 1578 Posts
Just wait and get an Xbox One.
peruwolf93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 peruwolf93
Member since 2010 • 110 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess I just saved myself $300.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

If you waited this long, I would wait longer for a price cut.

You know one will eventually come, and don't buy that lower end model with no HDD.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidTy

[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"][QUOTE="peruwolf93"]I have a PS3 and a Wii U but always wanted to play games like Halo or Gears of Warwhite_sox

Wait. There might be a price drop around the time of the X1. As for your other fears, both systems are officially "dying systems" at this point. Every month will see fewer and fewer games going into production and fewer devs working on the system. The community will shrink despite a growing number of consumers buying console as at this point, it's just the cheapskates buying the system now and they probably won't be paying for Live and playing online with you.

I'd disagree. The PS3 is still receiving a lot of support.

It's had a lot of big titles already released this year:

• TLOU
  • NNK

and has a good mix of new and preestablished IPs coming soon:

• Ratchet and Clank
  • Gran Turismo
  • Beyond: 2 Souls
  • The Puppeteer

This is correct, and you didn't even include all the 1st party games like the highly rated and critically acclaimed 1st party MLB: The Show they released this year...main point is I agree, both systems aren't dying.

One company (X) is not supporting their machine with very much 1st party support for quite some time now and the other company (Y) is doing the opposite. Company Y did the same thing last generation as well, and the generation before that.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

Given that the Xbox One has no backwards compatability, would you guys recommend getting an Xbox 360 now or wait for a price cut or don't get it at all? I have a PS3 and a Wii U but always wanted to play games like Halo or Gears of War, I'm just afraid the Xbox 360 won't get more support from Microsoft and the community will not be as big. I'm planning on getting an Xbox One at some point though.

peruwolf93
it's going to be supported through 2016 so the sooner you get an xbox 360 the more time you will have to play all the awesome games it has on it. i say go for it and skip sbox one for at least the first year or 2 until they realize that no one wants kinect 2.0, have all the bugs worked out and have a huge library of great games - xbone is not backwards compatible.
John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
wait for price drop
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

grand theft auto 5.  yes.

vpacalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vpacalypse
Member since 2005 • 589 Posts

No way. The 360 has been stagnant for a while as far as excluives go.

If you find one for cheap, go for it by all means.

But the X1 would be the better option/ if you have patience/money.

LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

If you own a PS3 no.

If you don't, then yes a 360 is worth it.

GTA, RDR and various other multiplats that didn't make it to the PC.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

grand theft auto 5. yes.

drekula2

Oh yes baby.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#17 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Unless you are getting an Xbox One at launch, or near there, get a 360. The 360 will still be supported, or at least they're saying it will be.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Senor_Kami

[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"][QUOTE="peruwolf93"]I have a PS3 and a Wii U but always wanted to play games like Halo or Gears of Warwhite_sox

• TLOU
  • NNK

• Ratchet and Clank
  • Gran Turismo
  • The Puppeteer

Read what I wrote. The games you listed started production years ago. Once the PS4/X1 are out, you think major devs are going to devoting as much or more development to current gen systems as they are when current gen systems are the only consoles in town? Really?
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts
[QUOTE="white_sox"]

[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"] Wait. There might be a price drop around the time of the X1. As for your other fears, both systems are officially "dying systems" at this point. Every month will see fewer and fewer games going into production and fewer devs working on the system. The community will shrink despite a growing number of consumers buying console as at this point, it's just the cheapskates buying the system now and they probably won't be paying for Live and playing online with you.Senor_Kami

• TLOU
  • NNK

• Ratchet and Clank
  • Gran Turismo
  • The Puppeteer

Read what I wrote. The games you listed started production years ago. Once the PS4/X1 are out, you think major devs are going to devoting as much or more development to current gen systems as they are when current gen systems are the only consoles in town? Really?

it doesn't matter because if someone is coming from owning a wii only and has never played any of the multiplat xbox 360 or ps3 games then that means there's about 40 AAA epic multiplat games that can be played for 10-20 dollars each if they were to buy an xbox one or a ps3. for any wii owner, buying a xbox 360 or ps3 is a great deal because all the AAA epic games, that they have never played, are easily attainable for cheap and would provide at least 2 years of rock solid AAA gaming entertainment.
norsecrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 norsecrusader
Member since 2013 • 74 Posts
there will probably be another price cut around the time the xbox one comes out but they do look pretty cheap now. i think its well worth it its go lots of good games, i plan on playin my 360 quite a bit while i wait for next gen consoles to get a lil cheaper
WeskerTeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WeskerTeam
Member since 2010 • 1827 Posts

If you don't plan on using xbl then I would say don't bother.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

No way. The 360 has been stagnant for a while as far as excluives go.

vpacalypse

You ain't gotta like it, but the hood gon' love it!

Flamingpostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Flamingpostman
Member since 2006 • 1172 Posts

deffinatly get it for GTA5

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

No, especially if you PC game. If you don't pc game, there are quite a few titles that are shared with the xbox. But again, if you are a big pc gamer, then no. Even with a ps3 I can't say it's very worth it, only if you have some friends to play halo with.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidTy

deffinatly get it for GTA5

Flamingpostman

TC said he already has a PS3 so he can already get GTA5 on that.

His question is about buying a 360 (launch 2005) in 2013 considering he already has a Wii U, PS3, and in light of the Xbone's arrival this Xmas season.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
GTA 5 dark souls2 splinter cell black list exclusives halo series alan wake fable series and fable HD gears series go for it its not to late
jlevin860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jlevin860
Member since 2009 • 818 Posts

i wouldn't get it since u have a ps3. hold out for xb1 or ps4.

there has been no decent exclusives and none that i see coming out that warrant getting it. everything good u can get on ps3 for the end of this gen.

halo/gears/fable are definitely not worth it to get the console this late. 

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidTy

GTA 5 dark souls2 splinter cell black list(all multiplats TC can buy) exclusives halo series alan wake fable series and fable HD gears series go for it its not to late CTR360

It seems you didn't bother reading his Opening Post.

Again, you just named a bunch of games he can buy on his other systems the TC owns:

GTA 5 dark souls2 splinter cell black list he has access too.

TC said he already has a PS3 so he can already get GTA5, dark souls2, and splinter cell black list on that machine.

His question is about buying a 360 (launch 2005) in 2013 considering he already has a Wii U, PS3, and in light of the Xbone's arrival this Xmas season.

Thankfully, you did list exclusives and reasons to own a 360 in the rest of your post:

Fable series

GeoW series

Halo series

Alan Wake 1

gamer4life4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamer4life4
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I would get one; for the main reason that the xbox1 is not BC so you will miss out on all the extremely great exclusive titles that were for the xbox 360. Halo and forza's as examples. They are affordable right now...gamestop I believe has a refurbished slim for $125; not sure though so don't quote me.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Of course.  Tons of games, many of which will be cheap now that they've been out a while.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#33 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

From a financial standpoint, it is NOT worth it, considering the next gen is just around the corner. And it will not be backward compatible. So, if you want to make a good financial decision, i would not buy it now.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Senor_Kami

[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"][QUOTE="white_sox"]

• TLOU
  • NNK

• Ratchet and Clank
  • Gran Turismo
  • The Puppeteer

white_sox

I understand what you are saying. It's still an executive decision to start these projects on their current systems instead of delaying them until next gen. I have a hard time calling a system that has been getting a steady stream of first party support and is scheduled to get some big titles in the future as "dying".

I have a hard time calling a system (and I'm not slamming solely the PS3. EVERY current gen system is like this) that is going to get less and less developer support and is about to be replaced by it's successor anything but dying. Has there ever been a system that didn't see a decline in developer support once its successor came out, ESPECIALLY when it comes to the big AAA games that are going to occupy most of the discussion on gaming sites?
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Of course.  Tons of games, many of which will be cheap now that they've been out a while.

nyc05
This. Both systems have enough exclusives at this point to be worth it, but they will both most likely be getting a price drop soon.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#36 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
off course, the X1 won't be backwards compatible, so you should get it
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

[QUOTE="CTR360"]GTA 5 dark souls2 splinter cell black list(all multiplats TC can buy) exclusives halo series alan wake fable series and fable HD gears series go for it its not to late SolidTy

Again, you just named a bunch of games he can buy on his other systems the TC owns:

TC said he already has a PS3 so he can already get GTA5, dark souls2, and splinter cell black list on that machine.

Thankfully, you did list exclusives and reasons to own a 360 in the rest of your post:

Fable series

GeoW series

Halo series

Alan Wake 1

You forgot the Early Xbox 360 Rare games. Racing games like the Forza series, PGR3. The many XBLA exclusives. 

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="CTR360"]GTA 5 dark souls2 splinter cell black list(all multiplats TC can buy) exclusives halo series alan wake fable series and fable HD gears series go for it its not to late xhawk27

Fable series

GeoW series

Halo series

Alan Wake 1

You forgot the Early Xbox 360 Rare games. Racing games like the Forza series, PGR3. The many XBLA exclusives. 

Forgot?

You seem like you've become a lot nicer, but I'm honestly wondering if English your first language? We've spoken many times before in the past xhawk and confusion always seems to crop up. I've also noticed that kind of confusion in your encounters with other users over the years. Just a side point really, as I wonder how you came across those games as my choices (because they are not). You missed something that I hope to clear up. You see, all I did was quote the user (CTR360) and let him know he was correct in one part and incorrect in another part of his post.

I'm curious because I didn't forget those games, all I did was restate Gamespot USER CTR360's opinion and CTR360's post and corrected an aspect of his post because he failed to read the OP completely. CTR360 chose those games as highlighted in Green (Fable, Halo, GeoW, Alan...)

So, perhaps you should quote the CTR360's post and let HIM know he forgot early RARE games, Racing games, and XBLA. Why stop there though? Many users didn't mention those games, so you should quote them as well as CTR360. That's a LOT of quoting!

You should also know though, everyone's opinion differs and they won't recommend the same thing. Some users hate racing, some users hate platformers, so I don't blame CTR360 for not stating those games because his post = his opinion.

No one forgot anything as far as I'm concerned CTR360 posted what he felt was "WORTH IT" and you can do the same.

The TITLE OF THE THREAD: "Is it worth it getting a 360 this late in gen?" (More DETAILS in the OP)

Your post and opinion seem to indicate you desire early RARE, Racing, and XBLA games. One recommendation is to quote the TC and let him know you like those gamesand feel it's WORTH IT.

In fact, I could add more 360 games that YOU FORGOT (like Culdcept Saga that I liked better than any Forza game this gen) that released on 360 that I PERSONALLY own, but again, that would be incorrect because you DIDN'T FORGET them and I know this. You have your taste. CTR360 has his own taste. I have my taste. Together we can help the TC with forming an opinion on 360 software.

CTR360 didn't forget early RARE games, he didn't mention them for one reason or another (some weren't so good imo and by Metacritic so I don't blame CTR360).

Happy 360 gaming.

Finymin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Finymin
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
It's really not worth it unless you are planning on playing all the old games. If you can find a 360 cheap though, like £30 or whatever then it might be worth it.
bl00dline954

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bl00dline954
Member since 2013 • 140 Posts
I was trying to decide that same thing when I made the decision to return to gaming last month. I ended up just buying a slim 4gb one from Gamestop but if you trust people in your area, check Craigslist. I saw some pretty sweet deals on there, but I really didn't want a lot of the stuff they had packaged for the price and they didn't want to sell things separately so that's why I just went with Gamestop. Depending on how much time you have to play, I would make the decision. If you have a lot of time, get it until the One comes out. If you don't, than just wait.