Is being a gamer something you're proud to be?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JeanAlex22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JeanAlex22
Member since 2011 • 307 Posts

I'm only 19 years old and games are generally a part of my life . . . I go out with my friends during weekends and play games at another friends house, then when we go home we still end up playing some more . . . But in contrast to what I said, gaming isn't everything for me, if I'm not playing with friends I only play for 4 hours max a day during weekends, no gaming during weekdays . . . Is being a gamer something you're proud to be? or not? Cause in my case I'd have to say no, because to me gaming is just a hobby and it severely interferes with your daily activities in excessive amounts and with your natural course of life . . . However I see alot of people online taking serious pride of calling themselves "real gamers" where in fact other people only see them as paranoid shut ins who have no life . . . What about you guys? are you proud to be labeled as a gamer? or if given a choice would you rather be a guy who's into basketball or getting drunk . . .

3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts
I love being a gamer. It's a part of who I am, and everyone knows that it is who I am. I accept myself for it.
RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

Love gaming cuz it something i can relax to. Get me? come home after a long day sit bak and kick some major butt haha. But on top of all that i do have a life. I have friends and family i hang out with. SO. i dont put video games as a major just a sidekick. Im actually out my house more then im playing video games lol

DrD3V1L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 DrD3V1L
Member since 2004 • 2064 Posts

I play in the evenings for around an hour or two, I'm not bothered what others think about me owning a games console.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

no reason to be ashamed of being a gamer unless you spend way too much time doing it and i mean extreme like you have seen sunlight in a week extreme. There is still a social stigma around games because they are still new when compared to other hobbies but It is a hobby like any other and should be treated the same as any other hobby. nobody would look at you funny if you said you read a lot or liked to do - it - yourself projects , ect. As with anything in life there is such thing as overkill but games are unfairly judged.

I mean many spend too much time on facebook but it isnt seen as a problem, thats considered normal.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Of course I am, but not to the point where I have to repeatedly let the whole world know about it.
kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts

no reason to be ashamed of being a gamer unless you spend way too much time doing it and i mean extreme like you have seen sunlight in a week extreme. There is still a social stigma around games because they are still new when compared to other hobbies but It is a hobby like any other and should be treated the same as any other hobby. nobody would look at you funny if you said you read a lot or liked to do - it - yourself projects , ect. As with anything in life there is such thing as overkill but games are unfairly judged.

I mean many spend too much time on facebook but it isnt seen as a problem, thats considered normal.

Gen007
pretty much this. i try and feel the crowd to see how much stigma ill get for it which is ironic as facebook games arent considered bad. rockband and dance central kind of games are accepted. yet throw out i love halo and its like NERD WHY YOU WASTING TIME ON DUMB GAMES yet the fact you just played rockband for 3 hours isnt a game or a waste of time....the wonderful double standard and irony all rolled into one nice package.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
Of course I am, but not to the point where I have to repeatedly let the whole world know about it.koospetoors
Basically what I was going to post. I'm no embarrassed in the slightest but I don't walk around screaming it either.
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zevvion
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

Proud isn't the right word. You're proud of your daughter or son. You're proud of your performance in a certain sport. You may be proud of your education and so forth. But for example, although very enjoyable, I never feel 'proud' for having sex or something like that. It's cool but don't feel proud. But it's not like I'm ashamed of it at all.

Same with gaming. It's enjoyable and definitely not ashamed. But I'm not proud.

sandlot76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sandlot76
Member since 2005 • 53267 Posts

I've always been a gamer and I love it! I grew up gaming thanks to my dad, now I'm a gamer and I'm raising my kid to be a gamer.

OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 OfficerLeach_
Member since 2010 • 419 Posts

Yes, I love being a nerd and being A MLG Gamer...But lately I been working my butt off for my newborn son.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

I think I'm proud to be a gamer, but I don't think I'm *really* proud..

I refuse to talk about it when I'm hanging out with friends. I dunno, while it's a hobby of mine, and the only thing I really do (I work out from time to time and stuff but, no one knows me for anything other than gaming and film) in society people will pretty much call me a lowlife (which I am) if I started speaking about video games. My knowledge on something that is probably so pointless? I don't know if knowing a lot about the gaming industry is a good or a bad thing. I mean, it's not getting me anywhere. But in the long run I don't really care.

Sometimes I sit back and think to myself why the heck do I know more about video games than anything else, it's not exactly impressive is it..

david60639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 david60639
Member since 2005 • 6951 Posts
In American society it's a "kid thing" so it hasn't been anything to be proud of in these 20's of mine.
gangstarapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gangstarapper
Member since 2003 • 105 Posts

I keep it on the downlow, real low.

Most people don't even know I game at all, and in between soccerpractice, work and college I don't think they would even know where I would find the time to play games. And I want to keep it that way. Because it just works.

YouVandal3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 YouVandal3
Member since 2007 • 1616 Posts

Heeey TC I really like watching Basketball haha

but yes i do enjoy video games, a lot of my friends to as well, not that embarassing. I know some actual attractive girls who play Duty as well which is strange.

Just gotta make sure it doesnt interfere with your life.

GamerChick2083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GamerChick2083
Member since 2010 • 481 Posts

I'm proud to be a gamer. All my friends know I'm a gamer. I even have a couple of co-workers who are also gamers. I'm the only female gamer they know of. I love to play video games, but they're not my whole life. I like to do other things.

Dal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dal25
Member since 2007 • 170 Posts
always! . don't mind what my friends said being addictive . Afterall i'm just being enthusiastic bout it !
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#19 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
I'm a gamer through and through. It's not my only hobby, and how much time I have to spend doing it ebbs and flows as the rest of my life gets busy.
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
In times of cell phone and facebook games basically everybody is a gamer in one way or another anyway. And I laugh at claims that gamers have "no life" when hobbies clearly are a part of life.
jburde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 jburde
Member since 2002 • 3357 Posts

I wouldn't say proud, though it is something I enjoy to do if I can find the time. Nothing wrong with discussing it either.:P I don't understand why people would feel ashamed, I would say that most, if not all, of the guys and some girls I know play video games at least occasionally. It seems that it's become a generally accepted hobby just like (though not at the same level) reading or playing an instrument.

BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BostonDieNasty
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

I'm only 19 years old and games are generally a part of my life . . . I go out with my friends during weekends and play games at another friends house, then when we go home we still end up playing some more . . . But in contrast to what I said, gaming isn't everything for me, if I'm not playing with friends I only play for 4 hours max a day during weekends, no gaming during weekdays . . . Is being a gamer something you're proud to be? or not? Cause in my case I'd have to say no, because to me gaming is just a hobby and it severely interferes with your daily activities in excessive amounts and with your natural course of life . . . However I see alot of people online taking serious pride of calling themselves "real gamers" where in fact other people only see them as paranoid shut ins who have no life . . . What about you guys? are you proud to be labeled as a gamer? or if given a choice would you rather be a guy who's into basketball or getting drunk . . .

JeanAlex22

whats there to be proud of?? dont get me wrong im a gamer been one since i was a about 5 when nintendo came out.. still play daily.. own all 3 consoles .. everyone i know knows i play... but whats there to be proud of?? thats kinda like saying im proud to watch tv or im proud of the 300 dvds i own

BoSnerdly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BoSnerdly
Member since 2011 • 184 Posts

Proud to be a gamer! What time a lotta people spend watching TV or Movies, I play games. Watching TV/Movie is too 'brain-dead' for me. I've got a very active mind, and I like that games always keep me thinking.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
...Sometimes I sit back and think to myself why the heck do I know more about video games than anything else, it's not exactly impressive is it...NirdBerd
I've made peace with this realization. Some people can tell you the rosters of half the teams in a sports league for the last decade. Some people can tell you what big budget movies are in the works and who's involved. Hell! Some people can actually speak Klingon! Folks like you and me know most of the details of just about anything going on the the games industry. The unfortunate part of this in my case is that no one I know offline shares my enthusiasm for all things videogame. Am I proud to be a gamer? I dunno- I've never really thought about it. Am I ashamed? Nope. Not one bit.
Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#25 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts

Yes its one of the few things that I can say I am pretty good at so yes I am proud gaming has been a big part of my life and is the one thing that can make me happy when all else fails.

Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

Yep, I'm proud to be a gamer. I don't try to hide it. And you know what? I have yet to meet anyone who dislikes me on the basis of the fact I play video games.

lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

Meh Gaming just IS. It's something to pass the time. Some watch other people lives on TV, I take pride in making you respawn :p.

piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
I feel a little weird cause most of the people I know doesn't own a gaming console. But is more like they're not willing to spend money on something like that. Gaming has taken a big part of my life but is not like it has gone to waste, I love gaming and I'll probably keep on gaming all my life or at least I don't plan to stop anytime soon. Am I proud of being a gamer, I'm not really sure, it's my hobby, I like it a lot, can't say enough about it, but I don't think I should take pride about it
youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#29 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

i'm a emcee, basketball player, andA PROUD gamer, been once since five and i'm 25.....i like games more now than i did back in the day

BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts
I get disgusted when i see people doing normal time & money wasting activities, its why am a gamer in the first place. I wouldn't say am proud, but am not ashamed either.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#31 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

im older and probably should be past my gaming phase, but im not. i wouldnt say im proud, but i really dont care what others think.

BoogieL0ve20xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#32 BoogieL0ve20xx
Member since 2010 • 81 Posts
Isht, I am MORE PROUD to be a Gamer than I am to be an American sometimes.... Video Games are beautiful pieces of work. First thing I crawled to was a Nintendo. A lot of people don't take me for a gamer until they see the Princess Peach tattoo I have on my arm.
I feel to be a gamer means that you obviously have a pretty decent imagination. Even if all your doing is playing the game, not creating or writing for it, your mind is still being exposed to things that maybe you couldn't concieve on your own. And screw what Movie Critic dude said, Game are art. Now, you probably shouldn't get too excited about your Gamerscore, that might be overkill. But, yeah, I'm PROUD AS FUDGE to be a Gamer!!
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

honestly.. i didnt feel like a gamer until like a few months ago..i was even laughing at people who said they were gamers....but now...now i will brag about it.

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

I'm proud to be a gamer. All my friends know I'm a gamer. I even have a couple of co-workers who are also gamers. I'm the only female gamer they know of. I love to play video games, but they're not my whole life. I like to do other things.

GamerChick2083
Cheers to you GC2083! I'm in the same boat. Work hard play hard and love to game. It's my happy downtime. Mu husband plays/records music & I play lots of games. It's all good and I even drag him into couch coop which we both love. Enjoying Portal 2 atm. Life is short, do what makes you happy! :)
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I don't understand why gamers are considered as having no life. I for one go to college, go to work, hang out with friends (playing board games, hiking, going on road trips, etc.) and also play video games. I would consider myself to "have a life" while also being a serious gamer. It's not like you have to choose between one or the other. I do what I enjoy doing, not what other people think I should do. Doing what others tell you instead of what you want is no way to live.
bluetadomonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bluetadomonk
Member since 2011 • 449 Posts
no i'm not proud that i sit around for hours mostly every day having lots of fun. I know that I could be doing better things with my life, i'm not saying i just sit inside all day but it's not something i'd brag about to my friends
Xunibagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Xunibagel
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts

Well the only time i was ashamed of being a gamer was when i was playing wow, but now that i have moved on to other stuff im proud to say im a gamer. (: