Install games on 360???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pDbOy_26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pDbOy_26
Member since 2006 • 619 Posts

Hey guys i have some quick questions. I recently got a new elite with a 120 GB Hard Drive, As of right now I have i blieve 99 GB left. I don't download movies or anything like that.

So I thought since i have so much space, why not install some games on the 360.

So my question is do games change or differ when i install them???? Is it worth to install them????

How do you install them????

Thanks!!!!!

pDbOy_26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pDbOy_26

I just thought of something, Do i Install the whole game? Or just some data that allows me to have quicker load times? For example if i install COD MW2 do i still need the disc in?

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

-Reduces loading times even more for some games. GTA4 is probably one of the few that doesn't work 'as' well when it's installed. This is for offline load times only, as if one person online doesn't install their games, you're waiting for them.

-Less noise, a 12x DVD is spinning really fast to produce a lot of it, so when a game is installed, it runs for about 5-6 seconds looking for the verification code, once it's found, the DVD drive turns off and the game is played from HD

-Less heat, DVD drive produces the most heat, again, because it spins a lot. Wear-and-tear that it may accumulate from this is reduced.

-----to install: put the game in, let the game boot up to where you can start playing. Now it will appear in your game library, press the large X on your controller, go to dashboard, in "My Xbox" the 3rd box with game library, will list the games you've played. Select your game, it will give you 2-3 options. One will say 'install to harddrive'

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HavocV3

I just thought of something, Do i Install the whole game? Or just some data that allows me to have quicker load times? For example if i install COD MW2 do i still need the disc in?

pDbOy_26

yes, the disc needs to be in so it picks up the verification code, it's to prevent pirating. Not exactly 'useful' at first you might think, but it's worth the reduced noise and load screens.

pDbOy_26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pDbOy_26

I am actually more interested in less heat and noise, then load times. So if i install MOW2 it won't change the game, will it play just the same?, because i heard that halo 3 didn't work well with the install.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HavocV3

I am actually more interested in less heat and noise, then load times. So if i install MOW2 it won't change the game, will it play just the same?, because i heard that halo 3 didn't work well with the install.

pDbOy_26

I install every game I have, but I have heard H3 isn't an advised one. MW2 performs great, game I play most currently.

It might just be a few select games, as this feature is from late 2008 where GTA 4 and H3 were 6-12 months before it.

pDbOy_26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pDbOy_26

Sweet, i am giong to do that, thanks alot man.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HavocV3

Sweet, i am giong to do that, thanks alot man.

pDbOy_26

no problem.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

[QUOTE="pDbOy_26"]

HavocV3

yes, the disc needs to be in so it picks up the verification code, it's to prevent pirating. Not exactly 'useful' at first you might think, but it's worth the reduced noise and load screens.

and also not worrying about stressing the uber fragile 360 disc drive ;) i pretty much install all my games for this reason, plus alot less disc read errors!
Gamelova79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gamelova79
Member since 2010 • 191 Posts

I agree you should always install your games if possible.

To save hardrive space, if your not going to play a game every often then delete that install and you can always install it again later.

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I actually never even tried it before, so after seeing this thread I tried it and it sure is nice to not hear all that noise.

ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts

I install all my games. I just delete the ones I know I am not going to play for a long time, but with the amount of hours that get put into games I feel better using the HDD because it's less movement going on in the system. The shorter load times helps too.

siddesh267

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 siddesh267
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Did U know that xbox 360s have a 23% failure rate in the first 2 years of ownership! Which is pretty bad, if u ask me. Considering this u would want to give ur console all the chances NOT to fail by reducing stress on it. Installing games to the HDD is one great way of doing it.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#14 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Game generally run slightly smoother and load slightly faster. Some perform and load significantly better. But in a few rare instances, specifically Halo 3, they'll load slightly slower. Still, so long as it's not Halo 3 it's a pretty good idea to install. Regardless of what game it is you get the benefit of the xbox not actively reading the disc so your xbox is quieter and less likely to rrod. So long as you have the space I'd say it's worth installing your games. To install a game, from the dashboard where you normally launch your game press the Y button. This will take you to the games page and from there you'll find the option to install the game.
chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 chasingmaynard
Member since 2005 • 3416 Posts

I actually never even tried it before, so after seeing this thread I tried it and it sure is nice to not hear all that noise.

dovberg

Of all of the beneficial reasons, this one is why I do it^.

When I play my 360 usually my wife and son are asleep, so my house is very quiet. It really helps when playing a thriller game like Dead Space, FEAR 2, or Condemned when all you hear is the game and whatever noise your controller buttons make.The silence adds a whole new level to the eeriness.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
I only have a 60GB hdd, so with all the DLC I have, that means I can only install about 5-6 games at a time. I just install games I'm playing the most, and if I don't plan on playing an installed game for a while, I delete it off the hdd and install another. You with a 120GB hdd should have no problem installing every game you're currently playing. It's worth it to install games too because you don't have to hear the 360 make that terribly loud noise, and plus the wear and tear on the console is significantly reduced.
Limp_Laky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Limp_Laky
Member since 2003 • 505 Posts

if you delete the game does it ask you stuff about your saves? or are they just kept somewhere else and arent touched around the install games?

ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts

if you delete the game does it ask you stuff about your saves? or are they just kept somewhere else and arent touched around the install games?

Limp_Laky
installing games creates a dvd image file on your HDD that the system uses instead of the disc, so deleting it just deletes that image file. It has no effect on your game saves.
Urban_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Urban_Flow
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

I Started Installing Games To My HDD As Soon As We Got The Big Dashboard Update.....The Install Option IsReally Useful.Glad Microsoft Made It.

-ICON-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 -ICON-
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts
I install all my games. I dont really like to hear a plane taking off everytime I want to play a game.
chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chasingmaynard

New Question:

What happens if you hit the eject button while you are playing an installed game? (with the disc in the tray, obviously) Does an error message pop up, or do you go to the dashboard? (or neither...maybe...)

-D3ATH-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -D3ATH-
Member since 2008 • 615 Posts

New Question:

What happens if you hit the eject button while you are playing an installed game? (with the disc in the tray, obviously) Does an error message pop up, or do you go to the dashboard? (or neither...maybe...)

chasingmaynard
The game will close and you go to dashboard.
chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chasingmaynard

[QUOTE="chasingmaynard"]

New Question:

-D3ATH-

The game will close and you go to dashboard.

Oooooohh... they are so sneaky...

You've won this time Microsoft... YOU'VE WON THIS TIME!!!!