In your own opinion, how does Saints Row 2 compare with GTA IV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

This is not a game recommendation. I just want to see what you guys think. GTA IV is graphically more stunning and longer with Lost & Damned (supposedly) but Saints Row 2 is more arcadey and fun (supposedly). I haven't played either so I would like to know how you think these two compare.

tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts

i've only play gta 4 so i can't really judge them

chiko1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chiko1
Member since 2006 • 203 Posts

seriously i love the gta series but gta iv sucks i bought still have it dnt play it san andreas was wayyyyy better gta iv sucks it failed as for saints row i nerver played but i rather go for saints row beacause gta iv sucks that much i kinda hate the game alot may dissagree but that aint no 10 i give it a 6.0

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rza_rectah
Member since 2005 • 3959 Posts

i only played gta i dont want to touch that dirty clone game.

Zach68486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Zach68486
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
GTA4 is more for the story/realism. SR2 is just plain fun.
DohBoy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DohBoy122
Member since 2006 • 429 Posts

People think that these games are similar and they are not. SR2 is a game for lols. The story is meh but some of the extra stuff put in the game like insurance fraud and the other wacky minigames are very fun but the driving is unrealistic, the graphics are mediocreand the shooting is horrendus.GTA4 is a game for more serious gamers who enjoy a serious story (some people might find it boring but I didn't one bit), with realistic driving and and a very balanced difficulty. Also, some might not like the graphics in GTA4 either but look at the draw distance and detail put into the city, its the best I've seen in an open world game. I overall enjoyed GTA4 much more but SR2 has some great extras which I'd love to see in GTA.

jonnyglitch8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jonnyglitch8
Member since 2005 • 2530 Posts

Saints Row is more like the cartoon-ey aspect of just being **** brutal in hilarious ways. It's like.... when you make your character have a british accent, the first time you hear him say he wants to beat some ass, its just awesome. GTA just goes more towards a scorsese flick in all seriousness, not saying there arent funny moments, its just not trying to be as crazy as saints.

dirtydishko2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 dirtydishko2
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts

Rza_rectah
I second that. it's a shameful rip-off of an original which will always be better
Zach68486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Zach68486
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
[QUOTE="Rza_rectah"]

dirtydishko2
I second that. it's a shameful rip-off of an original which will always be better

Riiiight...you're missing out.
Avatar image for Penalty_of_Hero
Penalty_of_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 Penalty_of_Hero
Member since 2009 • 196 Posts

As most people say, Saints row is a clone and not the best one either. If you want one of the get GTA4 :)

StarStunna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StarStunna
Member since 2008 • 80 Posts

Gta 4 is boring compared to saints row but the gunplay is better than saints row. In saints row you cann customize your character but in gta you can only customize the clothes and they aint really dat good

joshllama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 joshllama
Member since 2006 • 160 Posts

I find Saints Row more enjoyable to do random stuff in, but GTA is more serious and actualy hasmore impressive visuals and the open world is much more detailed. Saints Row is more like a parody, but it is in no means a bad game. If I was you I would try playing both of them

chrizza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chrizza92
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts
I would go with GTA4
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

GTA IV is graphically more stunning and longer with Lost & Damned (supposedly) but Saints Row 2 is more arcadey and fun (supposedly). I haven't played either so I would like to know how you think these two compare.

Comic_Capers
Yes, that's pretty much it. GTA looks much better but to me Saints Row 2 is the far superior game. It's crazy, it's fun and it has funky characters. I enjoyed every minute of it. It depends on your taste. Either you want realism and like slowing down your car to drive it around a corner or you want to ride your motorbike while wearing a hot dog costume and swinging your samurai sword at pimps.
carlobrown174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 carlobrown174
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts

I found GTA IV to be more serious and Saints Row 2 to be more fun, I like them both, it just depends what mood i'm in.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

GTA4 was garbage in my opinion, it was the sims with guns

Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts
I love both of them. I think GTA4 is better. But Saints Row 2's soundtrack is amazing, GTA4's sucks :lol:
eagles_band

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 eagles_band
Member since 2008 • 2969 Posts

GTA IV all the way. Saints Row 1 was really fun, but the second doesnt even compare to GTA IV. Horrible driving, cartoony graphics, and a generic game world.

tinkles87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tinkles87
Member since 2005 • 155 Posts

Saints Row 2 has fingerless gloves. I spent like 3 hours all together looking for those in GTA 4... I'm still hopeful that the next DLC will include them

gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts

People think that these games are similar and they are not. SR2 is a game for lols. The story is meh but some of the extra stuff put in the game like insurance fraud and the other wacky minigames are very fun but the driving is unrealistic, the graphics are mediocreand the shooting is horrendus.GTA4 is a game for more serious gamers who enjoy a serious story (some people might find it boring but I didn't one bit), with realistic driving and and a very balanced difficulty. Also, some might not like the graphics in GTA4 either but look at the draw distance and detail put into the city, its the best I've seen in an open world game. I overall enjoyed GTA4 much more but SR2 has some great extras which I'd love to see in GTA.

DohBoy122
That basically sums it up. Couldn't of said it better myself.
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

GTA IV is better then SR2 in every way.

Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts

Saints Row 2 has fingerless gloves. I spent like 3 hours all together looking for those in GTA 4... I'm still hopeful that the next DLC will include them

tinkles87
I was pissed when I couldnt find them :lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
deactivated-5f5404ad8217e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts

GTA4 is a better game. Saints row 2 is more fun to screw around in.

2pac_makaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 2pac_makaveli
Member since 2008 • 1681 Posts
saints row 2 is more fun way more fun, a lot more like san andreas and past gta's then gta 4 is i played them both i sold gta4 and kept saints row, not to mention saints row 2's co-op is fun too
A_Hayes82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 A_Hayes82
Member since 2009 • 170 Posts

GTA IV is a really serious game and the world seems too big at times. You end up taking taxis everywhere to do missions so it doesnt take 20 minutes to get there. It just isnt as fun as previous gta games. I would go with San Andreas. Saint's Row is a lame knock off. Wish both of them were a lot better but they do have fun parts.

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

GTA IV was way to dry and serious imo but the graphics are way better. Saints2 is 100xs more fun though but it has cartoony graphics kinda.

MissMorphine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MissMorphine
Member since 2008 • 1156 Posts

well in my opinion. SR2>GTAIV. like most ppl said SR2 is more funn not that serious. pluz theres tons of custom characterization. the minigames are awesome. so like the SR2 trailer said. if u want a game where u can go to the bowling with a friend or to get a burger. then GTAIV is just the game for you.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

SR2 has local coop? Interesting...

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
I own both and prefer the realism and seriousness of GTA IV. It's kind of like this: GTA IV = Forza SR2 = Need For Speed Both are fun, just different kinds of fun.
Bman909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bman909
Member since 2009 • 535 Posts
i havnt got a chance to play saints row 2 yet but if u got live gta is pretty good. Gta kind of got boring to me after i beat the story mode there was really nothing else to do
chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 chasingmaynard
Member since 2005 • 3416 Posts

I bought GTA4 and returned it in a couple weeks. The story was okay, but the side "activities" (dates) that your "friends" constantly call you about were ridiculously annoying and the soundtrack was god awful. I bought SR2 and I still play it. The only thing the game makes you feel like you have to do is defend territories that you have taken over, just like in San Andreas.I won't lie, I feel that everyone should at least rent GTA4, but I don't think it is worth buying. With everything SR2 has to offer, it is definitely worth buying. Tons of customization, a decent story with more depth than GTA4 because it is an actual sequel, not just the next game in the lineup.

SR2 has checkpoints through the mission, so if you die or lose the mission you don't have to start ALL the way back from the start. This was a HUGE improvement over GTA4. Lost and the Damned fixes this, but GTA4 doesn't have checkpoints.

SR2 is just like San Andreas, which the majority of GTA fans will agree was the best in the series.

Oh, and the driving in GTA4 is horrible. I guess I'm alone on that one, but flipping cars gets really old. And if someone responds with "well don't try to go around a corner at 50mph". Why wouldn't I? It's a video game. I get plenty of sane driving time when I drive to and from work each day.

And to those that are talking negative about SR2 without trying it, that is the definition of ignorance. Grow up. At least try a game before you talk trash about it.

Rev

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba32555a6c71
deactivated-5ba32555a6c71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5ba32555a6c71
Member since 2005 • 325 Posts

I can't help but think ~50% of the people who say GTAIV only say it because it's GTA and have not even tried SR2. Anyway for me I got bored with GTAIVs story I didn't find any of the characters interesting and the plot twists were kind of meh to me considering I didn't care much about the characters(still finished it) but with saints row I was interested all the way to the end. Also with saints row 2 you can't go wrong with co-op. Saints row also has a much better soundtrack IMO. GTAIV did have better graphics and I must say GTAIV has a much better multiplayer(unless it's just you and a friend then SR2 is much better) free roam can be fun to mess around with friends and i though cops and crooks was fun(when you finally find a game and ALL your friends in the party connect to it), For me GTAIV was ok but Saints row 2 was much more fun.

Edit: I forgot to mention how much I like the customization in SR2. I like playing as my own character and even though I chose everything about my character appearance every where in the story he felt so right. it felt like the story\cut scenes were made just for my character. I also really liked collecting and customizing cars.

Star-Killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Star-Killer
Member since 2008 • 1883 Posts

GTA4 was garbage in my opinion, it was the sims with guns

JayQproductions
Agreed but I did enjoy the game but I enjoyed SR2 a lot more since it doesn't take itself to seriously and there's so much customization unlike GTA4.
jirca87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 jirca87
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

Graphics: GTA4 > SR2

Soundtrack: SR2 >>GTA4. I actually had to have music playing from my computer when driving in GTA4 because most of the music was crap.

Story: Tossup. GTA has a longer, and more complete story, but some things didn't make sense, like always wanting money despite havng nearly or over $1 million, or moving one islandwhile committing all sorts of crimes is an excellent way to hide from the mob. In relation to that, I felt too much time occurred between some of the big story events, which seemed too unrealistic.SR2had 3mostly unrelated storylines, but italso had some of thebest cutscenes I can remember (Gat's cutscenes and Maero's monster truck rally). And it didn't feel like you were just doing some missions for filler like it did for GTAIV.

Gameplay: SR2 > GTAIV. I didn't mind the driving in either game, though I did prefer SR2's a little more. A lot of it was pretty similar, but GTA4 had a good cover system, but SR2 added a nice ability to take hostages. Checkpoints were very useful in some of the harder missions in SR, whereas there were a couple of missions I hated in GTA4 because I'd get to the end, die, and have to redo it all. SR's side missions were also much more fun and varied. In GTA4 all you could really do is bowling, darts, pool, race, steal specific cars, and do wanted missions. SR on the other hand had various modes which were almost all completely different and well developed, whether it was throwing crazed fans into a propellor or driving a flaming vehicle. If youcare about customization, in SR 2 could could also customize your ownbody type, clothes, voice, walking style, taunts, your cars, and also your gang. In GTA4, you could only customize your clothes, and even that was significantly limited, especially when compared to SR2 or SA.

Replayability: SR2 > GTAIV. GTA4 had a better onlinemultiplayer, but SR had a story co-op. But As far as single-player goes, SR had a lot more to do once you beat all the missions due to the various activities.

Overall, I'd say SR 2 was the more enjoyable game, as it's more memorable, has more variety, and has much better replay value.

Kooyoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kooyoo
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts

I like SR2 a lot more than GTA 4

I just found it a lot more fun

GTA 4 has way better graphics and is more serious...to me it isn't as fun. The only time it's fun it when you go on mass killing sprees but that's it. In SR2 the missions are fun too (in my opinion).

Supertramp20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 Supertramp20
Member since 2008 • 350 Posts

i like gta4 a lot better

MrArmageddon8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrArmageddon8
Member since 2007 • 6846 Posts

Saints Row 2 is automatically better because GTA 4 is nothing more than a annoying cousin simulator.

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

Ive enjoyed the GTA games immensely, but the reason why I played the gta games, was the sandbox gameplay. I rarely agree with yahtzees reviews, because I think he dosnt review, but more entertain, but he was spot on in his review of saints row 2.

GTA 4 focused on story and realism, two factors which was notwhat I played the gta games for, and Ive had a ton of fun with saints row 1 and 2. City graphics better in GTA 4, but characters look better in saints row. Not to mention the gunplay is so much more fun and satisfying in saints row. Gotta love a game that can make the gunplay work without going over to autoaim, especially when we talk about consoles.

All the people that say clone, well, you guys play more then one fps game, right? So dont be that childish.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

I thought GTA4 was the bestter game but SR2 wins in entertainment.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I haven't played GTA IV yet, but I love Saints Row 2 and I've had more fun with the Saints Row series, than the GTA series.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#41 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts

Graphics: GTA4 > SR2

Soundtrack: SR2 >>GTA4. I actually had to have music playing from my computer when driving in GTA4 because most of the music was crap.

Story: Tossup. GTA has a longer, and more complete story, but some things didn't make sense, like always wanting money despite havng nearly or over $1 million, or moving one islandwhile committing all sorts of crimes is an excellent way to hide from the mob. In relation to that, I felt too much time occurred between some of the big story events, which seemed too unrealistic.SR2had 3mostly unrelated storylines, but italso had some of thebest cutscenes I can remember (Gat's cutscenes and Maero's monster truck rally). And it didn't feel like you were just doing some missions for filler like it did for GTAIV.

Gameplay: SR2 > GTAIV. I didn't mind the driving in either game, though I did prefer SR2's a little more. A lot of it was pretty similar, but GTA4 had a good cover system, but SR2 added a nice ability to take hostages. Checkpoints were very useful in some of the harder missions in SR, whereas there were a couple of missions I hated in GTA4 because I'd get to the end, die, and have to redo it all. SR's side missions were also much more fun and varied. In GTA4 all you could really do is bowling, darts, pool, race, steal specific cars, and do wanted missions. SR on the other hand had various modes which were almost all completely different and well developed, whether it was throwing crazed fans into a propellor or driving a flaming vehicle. If youcare about customization, in SR 2 could could also customize your ownbody type, clothes, voice, walking style, taunts, your cars, and also your gang. In GTA4, you could only customize your clothes, and even that was significantly limited, especially when compared to SR2 or SA.

Replayability: SR2 > GTAIV. GTA4 had a better onlinemultiplayer, but SR had a story co-op. But As far as single-player goes, SR had a lot more to do once you beat all the missions due to the various activities.

Overall, I'd say SR 2 was the more enjoyable game, as it's more memorable, has more variety, and has much better replay value.

jirca87
that guy culd have quoted my answer

Saints Row 2 is automatically better because GTA 4 is nothing more than a annoying cousin simulator.

MrArmageddon8
tht was funny
Evandemocracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Evandemocracy
Member since 2009 • 303 Posts
I Own Both And The Only Thing Similar Is They Both Have A Large Free Roam Environments And An Assortment Of Weapons And Cars Both Dont Play No Where Near The Same To The Missions And Activity's If You Played Both You'll Agree Even The Feel, the Appearance And Customization Differences Are Know Where Near Each Another And Both Have Glitches Especially Saints Row2