I'm done with gamespot reviews

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

Why does gamespot go and give a game like Mass Effect 8.5. The game is a classic, their must be some people shaking their heads at gamespot, and going what did we just do. This is a joke and it makes Gamespot look bad.The gameshould have got a 9.5 or 10, I think its one of the greatest games every made.

Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts
get over it, if the game got a 6 and you still liked it what difference would it have made
kevbo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kevbo77
Member since 2003 • 656 Posts
Their review should not diminish the enjoyment that you receive when playing the game. It's a review, it's an opinion, so there's no reason to get mad. I agree with a lot of GS reviews but not all. I use other review sites as well to get a well rounded view of how a game is being reviewed. You shouldn't put all your eggs in one review basket.
ParadiseAwaits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ParadiseAwaits
Member since 2007 • 1410 Posts

Why does gamespot go and give a game like Mass Effect 8.5.This is a joke and it makes Gamespot look bad.The gameshould have got aone of the greatest games every made.

paul265

Gamespot is just doing their job.

RookWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 RookWolf
Member since 2007 • 404 Posts

lol fanboy... that's just great...

Mass Effect is overrated, that's why it got 8.5... there is nothing to push that game into a higher score despite how much you complain...

gotcha455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gotcha455
Member since 2006 • 2611 Posts

I've come to hate the fact that GS only does 8.0-8.5-9.0-9.5 ratings. Feels like a damn Play magazine review.

I also like to average out Gamespot & IGN's reviews. IGN tends to be more forgiving than GS across all platforms. As you can see, they game Mass Effect a 9.2 (I believe). That wasy if you think 8.5 was too harsh and 9.2 is too forgiving, 8.85 makes a nice middleground.

Of course, you can't let one persons review change the way you think about a game. That's all these reviews are - one man or one woman's opinion ona title.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts
after just getting through the first 3 hours i have to say its at least a 9 only real prob ive had so far is the loading its so often and messes with the frame rate at times
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#9 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

after just getting through the first 3 hours i have to say its at least a 9 only real prob ive had so far is the loading its so often and messes with the frame rate at timesGen007

That alone is enough to drop it below a 9 to me...

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

Mass Effect is overrated, that's why it got 8.5... there is nothing to push that game into a higher score despite how much you complain...

RookWolf

I'm no fanboy, but l've been playing games long enough to know that Mass Effect is up their with the Best and should besitting their proudly with its little gamespot gold award medal.

ParadiseAwaits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ParadiseAwaits
Member since 2007 • 1410 Posts
[QUOTE="RookWolf"]

paul265

I'm no fanboy, but l've been playing games long enough to know that Mass Effect is up their with the Best and should besitting their proudly with its little gamespot gold award medal.

The game just came out.

There's no way you can give an opinion on it, unless you beat it.

Have you even played the game?

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

[QUOTE="Gen007"]after just getting through the first 3 hours i have to say its at least a 9 only real prob ive had so far is the loading its so often and messes with the frame rate at timesAzelKosMos

its not bad enough to really mess up you exp with the game though its just sometimes youll be running and bam a load screen and its not like their long just annoying. A prob like that shouldnt knock it down below an 9 but def does keep it from being a 10 or perfect

Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
9 or 9.5 but 10? not even close, the game is plagued with framerate issues. Still a great game mind you,
MyndFlyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 MyndFlyte
Member since 2005 • 1103 Posts
It's peoples fricken opinion. Just like you have an opinion that it sound be a 9.5 or 10. Did it stop you from buying it? Probably not. Besides, 8.5 is still a good review by gamespot standards.
nosedive51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nosedive51
Member since 2005 • 1142 Posts
I don't think any site actually reviews games they just use whatever score they think will get them the most hits. Like U.S. news stations. None of them report anything they just sensationalize to get better viewership
_aen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _aen
Member since 2006 • 183 Posts
i've had it for nearly 10 days now, and that review is a bit unfair. at least a 9.0 in my book. Greg K would have given it a 9.5
hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 hazbazz
Member since 2005 • 7709 Posts
oh boo hoo, a game gets a lower score than you want, cry me a river. See that little word underneath the 8.5? It says great. They're saying its a great game. Stop acting like they're saying its a bad game, because they're deffinatley not.
It seems everyone on this website thinks anything below a 9.0 is bad.
toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

blue dragon got a 6.5 but i knew i would love it due to the combat system and story.

it faild mostly on the menu systems, due to it being slow. But then again Knights of the old republic had a slow menu system

-E-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -E-
Member since 2003 • 1333 Posts
It's just an opinion. I've also doubted Gamespot reviews before I've played games but have found out that Gamespot is really accurate. They might be off by .5 or maybe even 1 point in some circumstances, but the majority of reviews are spot on. People have to understand that not every game that receives tons of hype is going to be perfect. Besides, if the game is awesome for you, why the need to complain about a review? An 8.5 is still good.
y0urkn1ght14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 y0urkn1ght14
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts
well u also have to know that everyone has their own opinion (despite the fact they make bad ones) ;)
call4backup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 call4backup
Member since 2005 • 943 Posts
Their review should not diminish the enjoyment that you receive when playing the game. It's a review, it's an opinion, so there's no reason to get mad. I agree with a lot of GS reviews but not all. I use other review sites as well to get a well rounded view of how a game is being reviewed. You shouldn't put all your eggs in one review basket.kevbo77
exaactly...look around somemore and read other reviews. the review is beasically one persons opinion. if you have a different a opinion then so be it. if your looking on infomation on a game b4 you buy it look at other reviews, post a question on this forum (thats what its hear for) or ask your friends
zombieman666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#22 zombieman666
Member since 2006 • 3514 Posts

8.5 isn't even band he said it was great it just had a lot of small complaints that with out it them it probably would have got a higher rating 8.5 is only bad to you cause you have been to hyped for this game :(

RookWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RookWolf
Member since 2007 • 404 Posts
Because we all know that the game industry rises and falls based on Gamespot scores...
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
I don't get why people get so offended by review scores. Is it that you just want justification on your purchase with a nice tidy number?
GamingThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GamingThief
Member since 2007 • 652 Posts

I don't get why people get so offended by review scores. Is it that you just want justification on your purchase with a nice tidy number?msjr78

We like our nice tidy numbers!

ipath4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ipath4life
Member since 2006 • 1221 Posts
[QUOTE="RookWolf"]

paul265

well first of all, whatever gs gives games doesnt affect you as long as you enjoy the game, second of all, maybe gs considers that certain negative aspects weigh more heavliy in the final score of a game then you, and third of all i havent played the game so i cant really say what it deserved or didnt deserve.....and does anyon else think that kevin doent know what hes doing because most of his reviews are an 8.5, no diversity at all....

Mijis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mijis
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts
lol at the fanboys
-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
They gave Assassin's Creed a 9.0, yet it's plagued with bugs. And this gets an 8.5 for framerate issues....?
ipath4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ipath4life
Member since 2006 • 1221 Posts

8.5 isn't even band he said it was great it just had a lot of small complaints that with out it them it probably would have got a higher rating 8.5 is only bad to you cause you have been to hyped for this game :(

zombieman666

hype can kill games, but in this case it may have lead people to a belief that a game is better then it is....

Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts
Why do people care what score a game gets really? Its nothing I base my purchases off of ever. Its someone opinion that is no more important than my own.
Chrome_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chrome_Demon
Member since 2006 • 190 Posts

The only reason I am getting CoD 4 over Mass Effect is because I read IGN's review, and they said the game had glitches, plus my buddy said in a video review they talked about how sometimes the control input lags....

I mean really though, they gave it a 9.5 AND said all this stuff... so if GS gave it an 8.5.... eh, I dunno, maybe it really is glitchy.

And framerate issues.... seriously, I think the hype got me really excited for this, I'd be playing it now even, but this just makes me confused...

In ALL the tech demos that these companies have they always hype up the game, then when they play the whole copy, they just diss every minor flaw.... I think somethings wrong with the way people review games.

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CooVee
Member since 2005 • 2161 Posts
I think the biggest problem with GameSpot is the people who post on the forums. Hey thats just my opinion though.
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#33 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts
Just get over it, it is just based on one review and there are still many sites that review games. Look in other sites reviews and you can see they said it is fantastic. Reviews are for recommending games and then it is you who makes the final judgement of if you want to buy it or you don't. I use reviews as a source to see what I'm going to be purchasing and I also keep an eye out for opinions in reviews. If I'm looking for a game for single player like Bioshock and it had a complaint about it having no multiplayer then heck I'm still going to buy it despite what it says in the review.
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
I think the biggest problem with GameSpot is the people who post on the forums. Hey thats just my opinion though.CooVee
Bravo :lol:
bojingles4393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bojingles4393
Member since 2006 • 672 Posts

I think the biggest problem with GameSpot is the people who post on the forums. Hey thats just my opinion though.CooVee

yeah, that guy CooVee is a real jack***.

sonynhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sonynhater
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

Why does gamespot go and give a game like Mass Effect 8.5. The game is a classic, their must be some people shaking their heads at gamespot, and going what did we just do. This is a joke and it makes Gamespot look bad.The gameshould have got a 9.5 or 10, I think its one of the greatest games every made.

paul265

stop crying drama queen.

i actually like gamespots reviews, just becuase its an eight doesnt mean its bad. and no game can be perfect, becuase that would mean you could play it and not get frusterated, bored, or mad. in fact if a game was perfect, you could play it forever( i mean forever) and never get bored of it

tamsj04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tamsj04
Member since 2006 • 1928 Posts
What ever happened to thinking for yourself I haven't bought a game because of reviews for ages I buy games that interest me.
Mijis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mijis
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts
www.ign.com
matt2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 matt2012
Member since 2007 • 373 Posts

I think they have really been losing their touch. They've been marking down the scores of games too much for small things. They gave Call of Duty 4 a 9 just because the Campaign was a little short. To me that doesn't matter because the Campaign is so amazing that I have played through it 3 times already with more to come. Mass Effect does have a few small problems but does it really take away from the fun you have playing it that much? The game is amazingly fun and thats all I really care about. Isn't that what really makes a game good? Isn't the point of playing a game so that you can have fun?!
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts

RookWolf

haha Halo 3 was over rated and got a 9.5. but yea it SEEMS over rated although i have not played mass effect

K4ss3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 K4ss3r
Member since 2004 • 8697 Posts

[QUOTE="Gen007"]after just getting through the first 3 hours i have to say its at least a 9 only real prob ive had so far is the loading its so often and messes with the frame rate at timesAzelKosMos

I totally agree with you..
I mean, what do you guys expect? "Oh, this game is terricfic, but it's got some major framerate issues and load times are horrible.. I'll give it a perfect score!" (Now, I haven't played the game though, so I don't know how bad it is. But usually, it's enough to ruin the game experience, at least a bit, sometimes. :)
snipeshot11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 snipeshot11
Member since 2007 • 1006 Posts

If you think long loading times drop a game below a 9, you have real problems my friends...thats worse then the people that judge games by thier demo, or even worse the people who don't buy games because it has "bad graphics"

outbreak201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 outbreak201
Member since 2005 • 8372 Posts
ummm mass effect isnt that great of a game....i picked it up today...the gameplay is broken...graphics are to sharp and blocky...there is minor framerate problems when in combat......how ever the story is great.....but i think we all know that you dont need a good story for it to be an AAA game....*cough* halo 3 *cough*
snipeshot11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 snipeshot11
Member since 2007 • 1006 Posts
[QUOTE="paul265"][QUOTE="RookWolf"]

ipath4life

well first of all, whatever gs gives games doesnt affect you as long as you enjoy the game, second of all, maybe gs considers that certain negative aspects weigh more heavliy in the final score of a game then you, and third of all i havent played the game so i cant really say what it deserved or didnt deserve.....and does anyon else think that kevin doent know what hes doing because most of his reviews are an 8.5, no diversity at all....

haha forget about kevin, what about jeff giving tony hawks pro skater 3 a 10. Thats where I lost faith in all gs reveiws.

SaintsRowSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 SaintsRowSam
Member since 2006 • 2807 Posts

well everyones entitled to their opinion, but i always watch ign's review and gamespots and compare them to see wich one is more beliveble, this is a perfect example

IGN- Assassins creed 7.7

Gamespot- Assassins creed 9.0

IGN.- Mass Effect 9.4

Gamespot- Mass Effect 8.5

so u see there all different

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#46 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Mass Effect is my favorite game this generation so far on any system.. i cant get enough of this game and the amazing characters that are in it and the great story, sooo goood.

Deserves a 9.5 or 10 imo

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CooVee
Member since 2005 • 2161 Posts

[QUOTE="CooVee"]I think the biggest problem with GameSpot is the people who post on the forums. Hey thats just my opinion though.bojingles4393

yeah, that guy CooVee is a real jack***.

Ain't that the truth. I've been keeping my eye on him, he is trouble that one.

darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts
[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]

[QUOTE="Gen007"]after just getting through the first 3 hours i have to say its at least a 9 only real prob ive had so far is the loading its so often and messes with the frame rate at timessnipeshot11

If you think long loading times drop a game below a 9, you have real problems my friends...thats worse then the people that judge games by thier demo, or even worse the people who don't buy games because it has "bad graphics"

No, Mass Effect has real problems. Framerate issues as bad as what are supposed to be in mass effect (have yet to play it, going to friday) that warrents a drop in score.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Did you even read why the game got that score? Face it mass effect has some problems but it's still a great game,if it didnt have the problems it had it would of got a 9.
amapi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 amapi
Member since 2005 • 2404 Posts

RookWolf

Halo is overrated, that game got 9.5...what's your point?