I'm a noob looking for advice

This topic is locked from further discussion.

taco1908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 taco1908
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I used to have a Wii, but it was frustrating waiting for good games (Resident Evil 4 was sweet, but there was nothing after that), so I traded it for a new 360. I haven't got to play many games for I have been in school. But now my semester is ending and I'll have around 4 weeks off in which my plan is to vedge on the couch gamin-it-up.

Why question is a common one: Which game should i buy to play during this holiday season?

I have played (rented):

1. Gears of War 2: Maybe I just don't get it, but I wasn't impressed. I wasn't compelled in any way to play it. It just seemed pointless to me.

2. Far Cry 2: I was dissapointed with it. I watched all the videos on youtube and was excited about the engine and all its capabilities. However, the game seemed cheap: respawning enemies at road blocks, driving more than shooting...etc.

3. Call of Duty:WaW: This game was OK. I died many times via grenades and that got old really fast. I don't think that the game had enough depth. Shoot-duck-run-shoot-die-repeat. Of course I am not on XBOX live as of yet, so maybe that would make the game more fun?...maybe?

So now I am looking at either purchasing: Call of Duty 4, Dead Space, or Left 4 Dead (I am not a fan of RPG so Fallout 3 isn't on the short list)

COD 4: This game is a year old with a strong following, but I played COD 3 on the Wii and wan't impressed (nor with COD WaW). I think playingonline would be fun, but trying to play against guys who have been playing the game religiously for a year might get boring, e.g. Spawn-die-spawn-run-shoot-miss-die-spawn-die-spawn-die...etc.

Dead Space: I really enjoyed Resident Evil 4 and this looks llike itcould be a type of game that sucks you in and gives you a real gaming 'experience'. Player reviews have been impressive and that usually means better things than if the reviews by website review a game favorably.

Left 4 Dead: Online-co-op-mode sounds really fun, but the engine and graphics are said to be outdated. Plus the game only has 4 levels. (also I don't have a headset and I hear that it is almost necessary for the best gaming experience. This leads me to have to speand another 20$...Is Left for dead worth 80$?

-------------------------------------------

Any advice would be appreciated.

olpfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 olpfan
Member since 2004 • 836 Posts
COD4 is a number one buy. as for Dead Space you can decide on that yourself. personally i thought it was worth it, but im a hardcore survival horror gamer. And ya Left 4 Dead its much better having a mic, not sure why you dont have one they come with the system, anyway. Also Left 4 Dead is really fun playing with friends or online friends.
kimpachi14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kimpachi14
Member since 2008 • 299 Posts
cod 4 is very good and dont underestamate gears to it will suck you in whith its addicting online and compelling story
Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Cujo31
Member since 2002 • 2884 Posts
Hit up Dead Space. There is also Fallout 3 or Oblivion to keep you busy. Mass Effect too, and check out Cod 4 if you havn't.
-Mad_Rhetoric-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Mad_Rhetoric-
Member since 2008 • 1765 Posts
get: cod4, gears 2 don't get: dead space
TheKenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 TheKenny
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

I had a BLAST with Dead Space. Judging by your lack of enthusiasm about Gears 2, Far Cry, and CoD, I wouldn't go with another shooter.

However! Dead Space is relatively short- I beat it in a lazy weekend. If you have 4 weeks off and a lot of time to play, RENT Dead Space and play it at night with the lights off and surround sound turned way up for the best experience. 

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
If you think you're gonna be getting a gold subscription then go for L4D. CoD4 is very short (campaign wise) and the online multiplayer gets old fast (in my opinion.) There's a lot of cheapness associated with the multiplayer aspect and I personally hate the way you spawn in the game, sometimes right into the line of fire. It's just my opinion go for your gut instinct. Oh and might I make a personal suggestion, get Halo 3, it's cheap nowadays and it's a lot of fun both thru the campaign, co-op, and multiplayer.
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#8 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
Please use the Recommendation sticky. Thanks!