If i make a new account on my xbox, will i loose my DLC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chiodos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Chiodos-
Member since 2008 • 201 Posts

Topic :)

Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Kaim91
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

No, I don't think so. When you buy a DLC, you also buy a licence for that DLC so it's bound to the console you download it to. You can play that DLC regardless of what account you use. And if you buy a new Xbox sometime for whatever reason, you need to transfer the licences to the new console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#3 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
It's linked to the gamertag you have. The licensing issue Kaim is referring to regards whether you have to be connected to the Xbox that your content is licensed to. It really only makes sure you have to be connected to Xbox Live To use the content on another console with your gamertag in it.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

No, I don't think so. When you buy a DLC, you also buy a licence for that DLC so it's bound to the console you download it to. You can play that DLC regardless of what account you use. And if you buy a new Xbox sometime for whatever reason, you need to transfer the licences to the new console.

Kaim91

That is 100% wrong

Please research before posting info because the incorrect info there could cost someone hundreds of dollars

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="Kaim91"]

Jaysonguy

That is 100% wrong

Please research before posting info because the incorrect info there could cost someone hundreds of dollars

Then why don't you actually tell him what's right. :|
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#6 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
So there's no confusion: The items you download with your profile are only accessible with that profile. If you change accounts, you lose the DLC. If you don't like your gamertag or something about your profile, you can edit just about anything in your profile/account info, and you can change your gamertag for 800 Microsoft points. Hope this helps.
Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kaim91

[QUOTE="Kaim91"]

Jaysonguy

That is 100% wrong

Then please do explain to me how I was able to play Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky on my friends console with my own gamertag? I read the whole licence thing on the Xbox website, and that is how I understood it, so don't throw that crap at me. If I could do that, then why can't he?

Edit: Okay, let me explain in more detail. When I tried to load a save file in Mass Effect on my friends Xbox, then it only let me load the files in which I hadn't entered Pinnacle Station, which my friend didn't have. Therefore, we assumed that I couldn't load the save files where I had entered PS because it contained data from PS. But I was able to load one of the other save files and play Bring Down the Sky. So how could that be possible?

boardn720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 boardn720
Member since 2008 • 5310 Posts

The way I understand it is the DLC purchased is linked to your gamertag and accessable anytime you are logged into xbox live no matter what console you are logged into (if the DLC is on that hardrive). The DLC is also licensed to the console it was downloaded to so any gamertags on that console can also play it. If anyone can clarify i also would like to know for sure how it works.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

you wont lose the DLC but i dont think you will be able to use the DLC on the new account

killakar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 killakar1
Member since 2008 • 36 Posts

Anything bought from marketplace on a console can be used with any gamertag on the exact console at anytime now lets say you change the console then from that point you can only play the content with the gamertag that bought it inless you transfer content lisence over to the new console which will make it available for all tags to use once again i can 100% confirm this for the fact i own 4 Xbox360s and download content on all so i can play against my brother on live

Hope I Helped Clear This Up :D

boardn720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 boardn720
[QUOTE="killakar1"]

Anything bought from marketplace on a console can be used with any gamertag on the exact console at anytime now lets say you change the console then from that point you can only play the content with the gamertag that bought it inless you transfer content lisence over to the new console which will make it available for all tags to use once again i can 100% confirm this for the fact i own 4 Xbox360s and download content on all so i can play against my brother on live

Hope I Helped Clear This Up :D

Thanks man, thats the way I understood it too.
Chiodos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chiodos-
Member since 2008 • 201 Posts

So if i make a new profile, but on the same console, i can still get to and use the DLC i downloaded with the older profile?

Flamingpostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Flamingpostman
Member since 2006 • 1172 Posts

yes

cinemax237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 cinemax237
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts

why not pay the 800 Ms points? Are you willing to lose your friends list and your achievements you've gained that is if you have friends on Xbox and achievements.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jaysonguy

So if i make a new profile, but on the same console, i can still get to and use the DLC i downloaded with the older profile?

Chiodos-

Honestly just pay Microsoft to change your name, why can't you do that instead?

All the content is linked to the gamertag and it's because the gamertag is your Microsoft identity so all purchased are linked directly to you

None of the content you own is ever tied to the console. The content follows you around from console to console

To put it another way you will run into trouble by7 tagging along your old identity with your new identity, it's not a question of will it happen because it will.

Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kaim91

[QUOTE="Chiodos-"]

Jaysonguy

None of the content you own is ever tied to the console. The content follows you around from console to console

No it does not. You're the one 100% wrong here. Say you're playing at your friends Xbox, and you want to play a game with which you have some DLC. You put in your memory unit with your gamertag and save files on it, and when you start up the game, you won't be able to load your save file. Why? Because the save file contains data from DLC your friend doesn't have. It doesn't help recovering your gamertag either, because the DLC is not on your friend's hard drive, it's on yours. And even if you put the DLC in your memory unit it won't work because the licence for that DLC is bound to YOUR Xbox. I know this for a fact because me and a friend tested it.

Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kaim91

And to TC: You can safely make a new gamertag on your Xbox and play the DLC. It doesn't matter as long as you use the same console the DLC is stored on. But it might require you to be connected to Xbox LIVE. I don't know that for a fact though, but couldn't hurt to be safe.

boardn720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 boardn720
[QUOTE="Kaim91"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Chiodos-"]

No it does not. You're the one 100% wrong here. Say you're playing at your friends Xbox, and you want to play a game with which you have some DLC. You put in your memory unit with your gamertag and save files on it, and when you start up the game, you won't be able to load your save file. Why? Because the save file contains data from DLC your friend doesn't have. It doesn't help recovering your gamertag either, because the DLC is not on your friend's hard drive, it's on yours. And even if you put the DLC in your memory unit it won't work because the licence for that DLC is bound to YOUR Xbox. I know this for a fact because me and a friend tested it.

The DLC is tied to both the console and the gamertag, but if you delete your gamertag and the xbox breaks, gets RRoD ect. then will never be able to retrieve that DLC so the best move is to keep the orignal account and just pay to change the gamertag. At least that is what I would do.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Chiodos-"]

Kaim91

No, you're wrong

I do it all the time with my friend, she brings over games and DLC all the time and plays them on my 360

Nothing is tied to the console ever, the only time the console ever comes into things is if you have to change licensing rights to give the username a new "home" console

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jaysonguy

And to TC: You can safely make a new gamertag on your Xbox and play the DLC. It doesn't matter as long as you use the same console the DLC is stored on. But it might require you to be connected to Xbox LIVE. I don't know that for a fact though, but couldn't hurt to be safe.

Kaim91

No, not at all

The only way that will work is if the username that the DLC is tied to is on that console

Everything in the Microsoft service is tied to the username, 100% of every single process is tied to the user and not the hardware.

Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kaim91

Dude, that doesn't make sense at all. I tried doing that, it didn't work for me. And I assumed that was a security measure taken by MS to prevent people from buying DLC and then hand it out to all their friends. Why wouldn't they?

Edit: "hand out" was the wrong way to say it. Let's start over here. TC asks if he can make a new account on his Xbox and still be able to play his DLC, right? And I do realize now that the DLC might be bound to the gamertag, but not the gamertag alone. If he makes a new account, but do NOT delete the old one (as I believe he never asked about in the first place) it should work, right? As an argument, I recovered my friends gamertag to my console and tried downloading Bring Down the Sky for Mass Effect to my own console. It didn't work even when I was loged in to his gamertag. I kept getting an error message when I started up the game. Why? Because the licence for the DLC is bound to the console he originally downloaded it on until he transfers it. Am I wrong? If I am, then what is the right answer?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jaysonguy

Dude, that doesn't make sense at all. I tried doing that, it didn't work for me. And I assumed that was a security measure taken by MS to prevent people from buying DLC and then hand it out to all their friends. Why wouldn't they?

Kaim91

They can't hand it to their friends because it's tied to the user, unless the user is logged onto that machine it's impossible to use the DLC

Here's how it works

My friend is over and buys Kingdom for Keflings and some DLC for it on her username, she leaves my house and logs into her 360 at home and downloads the game and the DLC and they both work for her because the content is tied to her username. When I try to play Kingdom for Keflings after she's logged onto her 360 it wont work, that's because it doesn't have anything to do with the console it only has to do with the username.

Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kaim91

I get that what you are saying could be true, and I would like to believe you if it didn't contradict my own experiences. My friend downloaded the first Deathspank game, and I was easily able to play it with my own gamertag. It also worked with the forementioned Mass Effect DLC, but only if I played them on his console, not if I tried to transfer his games to mine. So if it is as you say, compared with my own experiences, then TC CAN start a new account and play his DLC, but only if he does not delete or move his old gamertag. That is the only logical explanation I can come up with right now.

killakar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 killakar1

ur dlc can be used on any console as long as your signed online so if you go to a friends house and wanna play your dlc just log on go to account management and then download history and redownload it to his console thus allowing you to use it as long as your online due to the fact its not the first console you downloaded it to to add to this u wont come in to any trouble making a new tag as long as you save your old tag incase of console changing to switch lisence from 1 to the next r if ur to lazy and u just wanna use on new console just sign ur old tag online on controller 2 and play with new tag on the first controller thus allowing use again without the lisence transfer im 110% correct cuz i cheat microsoft by downloading on my brothers console first so he can use anytime and then downloading on my 3 so i can use but have to be signed online which is ok seeing as i do it to play with him online on all the dlc and arcade games saves me buying twice :D

killakar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 killakar1

[QUOTE="Kaim91"]

Jaysonguy

They can't hand it to their friends because it's tied to the user, unless the user is logged onto that machine it's impossible to use the DLC

Here's how it works

My friend is over and buys Kingdom for Keflings and some DLC for it on her username, she leaves my house and logs into her 360 at home and downloads the game and the DLC and they both work for her because the content is tied to her username. When I try to play Kingdom for Keflings after she's logged onto her 360 it wont work, that's because it doesn't have anything to do with the console it only has to do with the username.

u r totally wrong sorry as i just posted when i log of my bothers console he can still use the content cuz i downloaded it on his first and any other console u play ur content on u must be online to allow use cuz his conlose was the first therefore content id is tied to his xbox

killakar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 killakar1

sorry to repost again but just wanted to prove my point i own 100 arcade games 20 themes 7 pic packs and 64 pieces of game add ons and i downloaded all to my brothers first so he owns the content id when i get home and log online and redownload all content again to my own consoles and then im able to use but if i log on my account but have no online connection i connect use cuz the xbox cant tell if i own for that reason but if my brother has no online connection he can still use it for the fact the content id is there