How do you hack computers in Fallout 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trinexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Trinexxx
Member since 2008 • 883 Posts
I read the manual, but I still have no idea how to hack the computers :?
Avatar image for insomniac_loser
insomniac_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 insomniac_loser
Member since 2005 • 168 Posts
Yea im not quite sure how to do it either i keep on trying but i've only gotten it once. Any tips anyone?
Avatar image for NOS_MONSTER_666
NOS_MONSTER_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 NOS_MONSTER_666
Member since 2008 • 186 Posts
It's hard. Your supposed to choose words on screen and it will tell you how many letters you got right. So basically if it was Random, and you choosed road it would say 4/7 right. so you would have to REALLY think about it.
mclakers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 mclakers
Member since 2003 • 456 Posts
in the first level i had to kill the leader to get the code, in order to get out of the bunker. i have no idea
Bloodymassacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bloodymassacre
Member since 2007 • 391 Posts
Just like they said above. You choose a word, in the bottom it tells you how many letters were right, so pick another word with X amount of the same letters. If you only have one chance left to try, and aren't 100% sure, hit B and try again. It'll be another random word, however if you don't do that then the computer will be "locked" and you can't hack it period.
Avatar image for deactivated-586291ff5899b
deactivated-586291ff5899b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-586291ff5899b
Member since 2008 • 1261 Posts
I'm not clear on it either - the 1st computer I hacked was in the super-mart - I picked one word, it said I was 1/5 right, 2nd pick, 1/5, 3rd pick I was 4/5 right - for the life of me I couldn't figure out what the right pick was, so I randomly picked a last word for my last attempt before the would lock me out, and I got it right - wierd part was the word I chose didn't have that many letter that matched the one I got 4/5 right !!!So I have no clue either to be honest !!!
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

You can hack a "locked" terminal if you have the computer whiz perk.

Bloodymassacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bloodymassacre
Member since 2007 • 391 Posts

You can hack a "locked" terminal if you have the computer whiz perk.

capthavic

Ah, I didn't know that, thanks.

hex_ten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hex_ten
Member since 2006 • 139 Posts
Yeah, just like what was said up above. Pick two completely different words to start so you know which one is closest to being right, if both are 0/7 unlucky, press B and try again!
Avatar image for pacothelovetaco
pacothelovetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pacothelovetaco
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Don't forget the special characters that do some helpful things. Such as clearing past tries or even clearing all of your tries. The manual says they are two brackets facing the same way on the same line ( ]]).
BigSlipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BigSlipper
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
It's hard. Your supposed to choose words on screen and it will tell you how many letters you got right. So basically if it was Random, and you choosed road it would say 4/7 right. so you would have to REALLY think about it.NOS_MONSTER_666
No, that's not how it works. The thing to remember is that, in the above example, 4/7 isn't how many different letters are in the correct word. It's telling you which letters from the word you choose are IN THE RIGHT ORDER! So, for example: You have a seven letter word to guess... You try the first one on the screen, GUESSES. It tells you that you've got 4/7. This means that four out of the seven letters appear, in the correct word, in the same order as they do in 'guesses'. So you choose another... let's say, PRESSES. Now, it says you have 5/7. Ok, so you've got another try - you go for 'DRESSED'... correct! Computer unlocked...
johnny41252

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 johnny41252
Member since 2003 • 928 Posts

Make sure you save right before you try so if it gets locked just re-load your save and try again. :)

cthecoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 cthecoffee
Member since 2003 • 1432 Posts

heres how it goes, you need science to crack the harder ones, 25 for easy, 50 for average, 75 for hard. you get to pick 4 words before it locks but never let it get to that, stop at 3 and exit out and restart. i normally just got lucky around my 6th try by picking the first 3 words. but if you want to spend some time and get it right scroll though every line and every symbol. you'll see that you can highlight a few notes by just going over one, clicking this will take out one of the words and makes your job guessing easyer. but this takes more time so i just go with the first 3 words then exit and restart.

Booze_messiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Booze_messiah
Member since 2009 • 553 Posts
There is a good FAQ on it at Gamefaqs, thats how I learned to do it
tygr47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tygr47
Member since 2004 • 218 Posts
first off, choose the suffix and eliminate that. go for words ending in "ing" or "est" (cant remember the others, been awhile since i played). also, cant remember exactly (but sure someone here can help out) but there are symbols you can find to give you more chances. think maybe "{ }" and others like that together.
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts
[QUOTE="tygr47"]first off, choose the suffix and eliminate that. go for words ending in "ing" or "est" (cant remember the others, been awhile since i played). also, cant remember exactly (but sure someone here can help out) but there are symbols you can find to give you more chances. think maybe "{ }" and others like that together.

heres what i do, i never go past 3 unless there is only 1 or 2 that it could possibly on my last try 50% chance i'll take that any day..i wonder if your lick plays into that hum? ok i save then hack the computer. i chose a word by guess at the 1st. the ones that end with (ing, ed, est) and so on. ing, atleast in my game is the most popular so i logically go with that 1st every time. (my skill is at 100 so i only have like 10 words and even more obvious possibility) once you chose a word it will tell you how many youve gotten right. so if i picked a word "badly" and i have 0 right im not going to pick another word that sounds similar. if chose "blaster" and i got 5 right out of X amount of characters and "maser" is available id logically go with that option. i must add in that by looking at the ending of a word is only logical based, you could pick a word that ends with "ing" and and think that itd does end with that suffix but indeed be a word that ends with "ed" the correct letters do not go in order. oh and make sure you actually count the number of letters in a word lol. i love hacking in this its not way too simple...it makes you think a bit.
casllwchwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 casllwchwr

when you have to hack the overseers terminal to open the secret passage in vault 101, you dont actually need to kill the overseer or hack the terminal. look straight at the terminal and turn right. there is a cabinet or locker wotever. inside is a note with the password on it. all you need to do is take the note and you can get into the terminal

casllwchwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 casllwchwr

when you have to hack the overseers terminal to open the secret passage in vault 101, you dont actually need to kill the overseer or hack the terminal. look straight at the terminal and turn right. there is a cabinet or locker wotever. inside is a note with the password on it. all you need to do is take the note and you can get into the terminal

casllwchwr

tell me if its the same with you and if it helped.

Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hotwire246
Member since 2004 • 848 Posts
Don't forget the special characters that do some helpful things. Such as clearing past tries or even clearing all of your tries. The manual says they are two brackets facing the same way on the same line ( ]]).pacothelovetaco
Whoa I never knew that. Awesome. I'll give it a try sometime. Something people are forgetting to mention is that the letters you get correct are also in the correct PLACE in the word. So as someone said, if the word was RANDOM and you picked CONDOM, you would get 4/6, but if you picked INDOOR, you wouldn't get 3/6, you would get 1/6 (The last O is the only one correct).
ufcfan1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ufcfan1987
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts

I read the manual, but I still have no idea how to hack the computers :?Trinexxx

pretty much man just a process of eliminatio.pick a word and see how many letters you got right then look for the other words that match what you got right. but dont take all your shots at once. i did three tries then exited and came back and tried again that way it didint lock the computer.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Get your science and computer skills up and even use some mentats and guess a word.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts
Look on the Fallout 3 discussion page, there's a sticky that explains everything
lol1234wow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lol1234wow
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
alright guys i consider myself a fallout god because ive beaten the game 100% including all side things and addons 3 times. when you hack a terminal you will notice that it says very easy,easy,average,hard,and very hard. whenever you go up in the difficulty of the terminals the words in teh terminal will become longer and more difficult. the basic idea is that when you go to hack the terminal and you press a word it will say lets just 4/7 or something along those lines what you need to do is from that information evaluate which ones are not able to be the passwords based on the number of correct number of letters. you also mentioned about being locked out from the terminal,since you have 4 tries to hack the terminal you only attempt it 3 times. after you have attempted the third time stop back out of the terminal,go back in it and tryagain because you tries will be replenished to 4 again,however there will be different words. i hoped this helped.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
this thread is over a year old....
RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts
this thread is over a year old....chaoscougar1

So old that I used to post in boring gray font.