(Hopefully) getting an xbox 360 for christmas... anything I should know?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mithost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mithost
Member since 2010 • 61 Posts

I put it on my list and since my sister knows what Im getting (parents tell her what im getting, tells me what she is getting)and she said it was "video game related" and "Our cousin has it" (our cousin owns an xbox 360), the signs are pointing to an xbox.

Anyways, I wanna know if there is anything I should know about the system, any games I should get (dont recommend shooters, I hate them with a passion.), and any things I should look out for with an xbox 360 so I can avoid mistakes that could end up having to deal with microsoft warranty staff.

Zaggmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Zaggmeister
Member since 2004 • 136 Posts

Put it on a sturdy, well ventilated area lying down on it's side. This will reduce ring burns and overheating issues, which would be your two big reasons to deal with customer service. As far as what games, what games DO you like to play? It's an easier question to answer if you have a preferred genre rather than one genre you can't stand.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#3 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Hmmmm...most of my experience on the 360 has been with shooters, as that's one of the big genres on the system. But you might go for Kinect, which seems to be geared toward more casual gamers.

nick0091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 nick0091
Member since 2004 • 640 Posts

Yes say goodbye to your loved ones as you're in for a treat. ;)

There are so many fantastic games to play and games to try. You have hundreds of arcade games, Indie games, 360 games. Movies on demand, T.V, Facebook, Twitter, Demo's, 1 vs 100, and so much more.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#5 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts
Just take care of it, and give the 360 a lot of room to breathe. You'll have fun. Don't overspend. People tend to when it comes to Xbox Live and their crappy Microsoft Points system forcing you to overspend.
Hepemania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Hepemania
Member since 2010 • 517 Posts

Keep it flat so you can pretty much avoid the disc scratching and of course give the fans a lot of breathing space.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Yeah, also hope you get it brand new and not used, as you don't know what is wrong with it or how long it may last, etc. For games, try Assassin's Creed (keep in mind though that #1 is nowhere near as good as #2, in a lot of peoples opinion), but it is still a fantastic game especiall yif you haven't played it before :). Also, try the Splinter Cell games, GTAIV, Rock Band/Guitar Hero is VERY addicting, and how about some WWE games? I believe you can still get (not sure) a free month of Gold when you set your Xbox 360 up to Xbox Live, so I don't think you have to worry about that... although, I would do a bit of research as I am unsure if that still happens.
Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

Yes say goodbye to your loved ones as you're in for a treat. ;)

There are so many fantastic games to play and games to try. You have hundreds of arcade games, Indie games, 360 games. Movies on demand, T.V, Facebook, Twitter, Demo's, 1 vs 100, and so much more.

nick0091

I thought 1 vs 100 was no more?

LionsBridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LionsBridge
Member since 2010 • 122 Posts
Install all of your games on your hard-drive first. Or at least the ones you play the most, very important.
Mithost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mithost

I guess I should have added some genres.

Im a fan or racing games, JRPGs and 2D fighters (Blazblue, street fighter), but Im really easy to please. I spent around 2 months completeing sonic advanced battle 2 o.o

Skargamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Skargamer
Member since 2009 • 2569 Posts
The Xbox 360 has a tendency to overheat so listen to Zaggmeister. Games that are awesome on the Xbox? There are literally hundreds of arcade and indie games for sale on XBL. I don't know about the games you like though. So you'll have to be more specific. And when you're buying stuff online with MS points, don't buy anything for you avatar. It doesn't make you cooler like so many other people think. And spend it games which are good (refer to gamespot). That's all I have to say so happy gaming! Oh and LionsBridge makes a good point too. If you're gonna be playing that games for hours on end and every single day,install it to your hard-drive (provided your parents get you the Xbox with a hard-drive [try to hint them into making you buy the new 250 GB Slim Xbox. ;)])
F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts
Make sure you install all you games on your HDD, this is crucial.
colganraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 colganraz
Member since 2008 • 319 Posts
get the latest xbox 360 250GB, the big old square one overheats, dies and makes lots of noise. dont get a pre owned xbox.
nick0091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 nick0091
Member since 2004 • 640 Posts

Im a fan or racing games, JRPGs and 2D fighters (Blazblue, street fighter), but Im really easy to please. I spent around 2 months completeing sonic advanced battle 2 o.o

Mithost

If you like old school JRPG's try Breath of Death VII indie game. It's only a $1 andI always recommend this game to classic RPG fans. (It's in my top 5 JRPG's of all time list, and that competes with Dragon Quest 3, Final Fantasy 1, etc.)

Stevo7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Stevo7991
Member since 2010 • 1319 Posts

Taking good care of it is what you should know.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ashley_wwe
Install all of your games on your hard-drive first. Or at least the ones you play the most, very important.LionsBridge
Not true. I don't like to say that, but it's not a requirement at all, to be honest :P. I have a 120gb hard drive and never done it in my life. [QUOTE="Mithost"]

Try the Final Fantasy games, and Tekken 6, Dead Or Alive etc. ;) As for racing games, what type? I will put them under categories for you :). Sim - Forza 2 and/or 3, Formula One 2010 (my brother has this on the PS3, so I haven't tried the Xbox 360 version yet, but I can't see it being any different) Arcade - Burnout Revenge and/or Paradise, Colin McRae DiRT and DiRT 2 (same as what I said for Formula One), Split/Second My favourites overall - Burnout Revenge and Paradise, DiRT 1 (need to play DiRT 2 more and get it for 360 in general), Split/Second and Formula One 2010 :).
Mithost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mithost

How ventalated does it have to be? I have this bookshelf thing my wii has never overheated on, and if I didnt use that I would need another table or something or put it on the floor.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ashley_wwe
Depends. If it's new you just need a decent amount. Mine is under my bed and it's fine. It just needs dusting often is all. Just make sure it has a fair amount. Basically, don't put it anywhere where it will be touching something else, or close to. Make sure every direction has quite a bit of space.
GodzillavsXenu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GodzillavsXenu
Member since 2009 • 180 Posts
The only thing you need to know is you'll be very happy in 2011, as you have boatloads of games to choose from and a lot of catching up to do. I rather envy you, it would be great to boot up Bioshock or Oblivion or Red Dead Redemption or Mass Effect or a bunch of others and experience them for the first time. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
erickb1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 erickb1983
Member since 2010 • 315 Posts

The only thing you need to know is you'll be very happy in 2011, as you have boatloads of games to choose from and a lot of catching up to do. I rather envy you, it would be great to boot up Bioshock or Oblivion or Red Dead Redemption or Mass Effect or a bunch of others and experience them for the first time. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.GodzillavsXenu

Thats what I can't wait to do either.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ashley_wwe
The only thing you need to know is you'll be very happy in 2011, as you have boatloads of games to choose from and a lot of catching up to do. I rather envy you, it would be great to boot up Bioshock or Oblivion or Red Dead Redemption or Mass Effect or a bunch of others and experience them for the first time. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.GodzillavsXenu
Hey, we still have our games that we haven't played ;). For example, I want all 3 of the F.E.A.R. games this Christmas. There are loads more too that I will eventually have to get... I am not the biggest Halo fan, but I would like to play ODST and Reach. I think Brotherhood is going to wait until next year now, with F.E.A.R. taking up a good amount of the money.
Thats what I can't wait to do either.erickb1983
You should really look forward to the Gears Of War series :D. Oh, and make sure you don't cover the ventilation holes on the top on each side ;).
Stevo7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Stevo7991

If your gonna ask for games or recommend them, please use the GR sticky.

One more thing, btw when I said take good care of it I'm gonna break it down for you.

1. Play it for less than a few hours per day.Continuous gaming is the reason why Xbox 360 gamers are suffering to the constant RROD, the more you keep it on then the more power its gonna consume resulting in more heat and damaging the Xbox 360. Yeah, the newer xbox 360 models may have a new chipset which reduces heat and consumes less power but that doesn't help you 100%. You still need to treat it the right way.

2.Make sure it doesn't get dusty. Lots of Xbox 360s get dusty which clogs up the air vents and then resulting in the console overheating and then gets the RROD.

3.Keep it horizontally instead of vertically. About thousands of players report that their disc drive doesn't open or that the disc is broken or scratched which means that the player can't play the game(unless they install it to HDD) and then has to make a replacement fee. When you keep it vertical, it may fall by accident and you don't want that, I mean these things cost like 200-300$, if your not taking care of your console then your just wasting that money. So thats why you must keep it horizontally.

If theres anything more, other peeps you may feel free to add more but these are ones that I know.

AbstraXxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AbstraXxion
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I put it on my list and since my sister knows what Im getting (parents tell her what im getting, tells me what she is getting)and she said it was "video game related" and "Our cousin has it" (our cousin owns an xbox 360), the signs are pointing to an xbox.

Anyways, I wanna know if there is anything I should know about the system, any games I should get (dont recommend shooters, I hate them with a passion.), and any things I should look out for with an xbox 360 so I can avoid mistakes that could end up having to deal with microsoft warranty staff.

Mithost
Assassins Creed Series is pretty cool, Final Fantasy 13
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#24 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
Take good care of it. Keep it in a well ventilated place, keep it dusted, and... buy good games for it. :D Madden 10 (if you like sports) PGR4 I was going to recommend Gears of War 2 but you said you hate shooters.
Mithost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mithost
And now christmas seems even further away, xP
Saul_Tigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Saul_Tigh
Member since 2010 • 65 Posts

Never move the Xbox while it is still powered on as it will critically damage the disk. , I did this to my original copy of Gears of War (thankfully got it replaced no charge).

jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

Well if you plan to get online you have to play for a subscription. Your best bet is to go ahead and shell out 40 clams and get a whole year. As far as games just go through like 2006-now on the gamespot New Releases and see what came out and all the reviews.

Personally i would go ahead and sign up for a gamefly account as well. Since you've never played many of the older titles that will save you a good bit of money and give you the option to play every game on the console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#28 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

THAT PEOPLE STILL PLAY OLDER GAMES.

And that older games are still great.

Xbox LIVE Gold is a must.

Don't be annoying online.

Stevo7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Stevo7991

For Xbox live, watch out for infamous 5 year olds whining ingame.

villatoro12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 villatoro12
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
get the latest xbox 360 250GB, the big old square one overheats, dies and makes lots of noise. dont get a pre owned xbox. colganraz
True. The new 360 can have the open tray problem?