Hm my friend has a big question on hooking his 360 to Live.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TakaNui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 TakaNui
Member since 2004 • 3118 Posts

Well, my friends getting a 360 soon as a graduation present, and he wants to hook up Xbox Live but his parent won't allow him to stretch an ethrenet cord from his room to his router. His router is not wireless either. He has a Nintendo Wifi adapter he uses for his DS and Wii, so my question is this...

Assuming he buys a wireless adapter for his 360, can he connect it to his Nintendo Wifi adapter to get his Xbox Live connection? If not, what are his other options?

Thanks in advance.

dxy592

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dxy592
Member since 2006 • 1505 Posts
The simplest option (if there is no way he can plug the ethernet into his 360) is to get a wireless adapter for the 360 and a wireless router. I have no idea about the Wii since I don't own the console.
wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 wwedx
Member since 2006 • 2014 Posts
yes he could use the nintendo thing but he would also need to buy a wireless adaptor that cost about 100$$
TakaNui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TakaNui
yes he could use the nintendo thing but he would also need to buy a wireless adaptor that cost about 100$$wwedx
So, if he buys the wireless adapter, you know for a fact that it will work? he just wants to be sure before he buys this stuff.
TakaNui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TakaNui
[QUOTE="wwedx"]yes he could use the nintendo thing but he would also need to buy a wireless adaptor that cost about 100$$TakaNui
So, if he buys the wireless adapter, you know for a fact that it will work? he just wants to be sure before he buys this stuff.

I mean it will work in successfully connecting to the nintendo Wifi adapter.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Not really sure how or if that would work, and I doubt that anyone at MS or Nintendo would have tried to make it work.

TDC007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TDC007
Member since 2006 • 270 Posts

dont use wireless its a waste of money and you will lose signal alot it will also lag...

use a thing called a booster

it plugs into the power at the modem router and you plug the other near your xbox it works great

i have one at home it works great tell him to research it :)

and no im not god i just have all the answers :)

Avatar image for Golden_Ninja_11
Golden_Ninja_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Golden_Ninja_11
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
where can you get a booster?
TDC007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TDC007

where can you get a booster?Golden_Ninja_11

there really hard to find... when i go home ill tell you the name of it..the one i have is a netgear

its really the best way to go

bullsfan1512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 bullsfan1512
Member since 2006 • 53 Posts
by a booster, i'm think he's talking about a signal booster. its a add-on for your wireless router. it just makes the signal stronger (or simply reach father). and they are not hard to find. just get the name of your wireless router, go to your local electronics store and ask for a signal booster for it. lol. radio shack, compUSA, best buy....
TDC007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TDC007

by a booster, i'm think he's talking about a signal booster. its a add-on for your wireless router. it just makes the signal stronger (or simply reach father). and they are not hard to find. just get the name of your wireless router, go to your local electronics store and ask for a signal booster for it. lol. radio shack, compUSA, best buy....bullsfan1512

umm no i am not... it plugs into your power and amps the signal THROUGH the power its like 2 battery recargers that plug at both ends..... both have a ethernet port so yea its the best for online expecially gears

JC346

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 JC346
Member since 2007 • 4886 Posts
[QUOTE="wwedx"]yes he could use the nintendo thing but he would also need to buy a wireless adaptor that cost about 100$$TakaNui

It works fine. I have one and I have never had a problem with it.
Avatar image for 123321123321123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 123321123321123
ya i think
TakaNui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TakaNui
[QUOTE="TakaNui"][QUOTE="wwedx"]yes he could use the nintendo thing but he would also need to buy a wireless adaptor that cost about 100$$JC346

It works fine. I have one and I have never had a problem with it.

Ok, and again guys, sorry for reposts but he wants clarity, it WILL work on the Ninendo Wifi adapter?
Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts
I don't think it will work with the Nintendo thing to be honest. I'm not 100% sure; haven't used the Nintendo Adapter. Best thing to do is to get the Wireless Adapter (or, use Internet sharing on a laptop with Internet access) and get a wireless router. I don't know what the hell is that booster thing that guy is mentioning.
xixcanezxix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xixcanezxix

[QUOTE="bullsfan1512"]by a booster, i'm think he's talking about a signal booster. its a add-on for your wireless router. it just makes the signal stronger (or simply reach father). and they are not hard to find. just get the name of your wireless router, go to your local electronics store and ask for a signal booster for it. lol. radio shack, compUSA, best buy....TDC007

umm no i am not... it plugs into your power and amps the signal THROUGH the power its like 2 battery recargers that plug at both ends..... both have a ethernet port so yea its the best for online expecially gears

this is called a powerline adapter not a booster. its what directv uses for on demand and they do work very well and arent to expensive

ghost5891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 ghost5891
Member since 2004 • 1296 Posts
heres the best thing your friend can do. if he's already got the nintendo wifi adapter. go to gamestop or eb games, buy a USED wireless adapter for the 360. if it works keep it, if not return it. a used one is about 60 dollars and the return policy for the stores is 1 week if you just didn't like the item or 30 days if something was wrong with it. and if you go past the week then take it back and say it doesn't work. they don't test it, they just say ok and give your money back. easiest thing to do right there.
TakaNui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TakaNui

I have a wireless adapter for my 360, I can take it to his place and let him try it I suppose. We just want to be sure, thats why I also asked about other options.

Are wireless routers a hassle to install? Or is it just like plug in and youre good to go? And how much do they typicaly cost?