Help Please RedRing-O-Death

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hordak09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hordak09
Member since 2003 • 430 Posts

My buddy across the country just bought a 360 from BestBuy. He got home and tried to hook it up and he said he has the red ring of death and can't get anything working. The official thread is tooo deep to wade through. Quick question is should that light be on right away? Maybe his controler isn't hooked up or something?

Thanks.

Koinuboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Koinuboy
Member since 2004 • 3447 Posts
Check his power supply light. What color is it when the console is on?
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Descriptions of the problem are in the manual. Tell him to actually look through that. If he can't figure it out then he should just take it back.

also just because you don't feel like following the rules and using the sticky doesn't make it ok.

Clan_Crushbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Clan_Crushbone
Member since 2007 • 1501 Posts
I have heard of people still being able to use their system if its only 1 red ring. But if its 3 your system is toast. Either way, I strongly recommend your friend just send it in to Microsoft. They just upgraded the warranty to 3 years for any system failure.
TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TimothyB
Member since 2003 • 6564 Posts
The red ring of death is actually just 3 red lights, not an entire ring of lights. So which is it, 3 red lights, or 4, as 4 means a cable isn't connected right, like if the video cable isn't in all the way. Try having him remove the HDD, all cables, unplug, waith 5 minutes, then reconnect everything. But if it is 3 red lights, then return it right away.
xbill1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xbill1
Member since 2005 • 42 Posts

First, I would take it back to the retailer. They should replace it if it is a recent purchase. Also, try disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable. That could be the problem. You will find that advice on the Xbox website support page. Finally, check out the last couple of pages of the "Broken 360" discussion thread.

My buddy across the country just bought a 360 from BestBuy. He got home and tried to hook it up and he said he has the red ring of death and can't get anything working. The official thread is tooo deep to wade through. Quick question is should that light be on right away? Maybe his controler isn't hooked up or something?

Thanks.

Hordak09
Hordak09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hordak09
Member since 2003 • 430 Posts

Thanks everyone. He didn't answer his phone so I gotta guess its headed back to store.

I would bet it was something simple like some of ya'll pointed out. Thanks again.

pugsy44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pugsy44
Member since 2007 • 1682 Posts
Just sayin, but one time I had the RROD and all it turned out that one of the cords wasn't plugged in properly -_-
jpps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 jpps
Member since 2003 • 11950 Posts
If it is a full ring, check the cords. Not having them in all the way can cause it.