HELP! My Xbox 360 won't display

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Please don't comment or offer advice unless you've read all my description below.
I won't respond to comments telling me to phone Microsoft or asking me questions that I've already answered.

Ok, so here's the background

Bought myself a new Xbox September 2008. It's plugged into my Phillips 42" LCS (42PFL9703D/79). Working perfectly in 1080p.

About3 weeks ago I took my Xbox into work so I could play whilst doing weekend server stuff (details not important:) ). I plugged a HDMI cable from the console into a HDMI > DVI converter which went into my 21" Viewsonic monitor (Can't remember resolution). Worked greatfor the two days.

When I returned home and plugged everything back into the Phillips TV I was presented with a black screen with the message "Video Format Not Supported" and no sound. I figured that the resolution from the monitor must have been retained so I performed the video reset (turn on using wired controller, hold Y and R until the console resets) but did not have any success. I tested this procedure plugged back into a monitor to ensure the process was actually resetting the video, it was.

Plugged the Xbox into the TV using composite (RCA) and it works fine...although very ugly.
Tried a different HDMI cable and different ports, no luck.

Took my Xbox to my kids' TV (Samsung 32" LCS - LA32B660K1FXXY). Plugged it in via HDMI and it works fine.

Thought it might be my TV so I borrowed my Brothers Elite, plugged it in to the Phillips TV via HDMI, it works fine. Plugged mine back in, same problem.

I've logged a call with Microsoft who want me to send my console in for a refurb replacement. This is fine, sort of, but I've heard horror stories about people being unable to use saves on differing consoles so I'm hesitant to do this yet. In particular I'm concerned because I'm waiting for ME2 to be delivered and have heard that people trying to import characters from ME1 (same HDD, different console) have been unable to do so due to something written in the save preventing piracy.

If one game does it potentially others will as well and I have a game library of around 90 games so I'm loathe to lose any work.

So my problem is that my Xbox 360 won't work on one particular TV since I plugged it in to the monitor. I have a feeling that the auto detect settings are somehow picking up that my 1080p TV is a monitor and putting the resolution up too high.

Does anyone have any advice or anything else I could try before giving up and sending my beloved console in to MS? I've waited about a month for a firmware update on the console but, alas, none have been forthcoming.

craigkelleigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 craigkelleigh
Member since 2005 • 329 Posts

Hi....Have you tried plugging it into your kid's TV and setting it as a lower resolution (say 720p or 1080i) and then plugging it back into your TV to see if it can pick up that the resolution has changed.....and might reset the video settings

(sorry - typing this as I think about your problem......)

Have you also tried plugging it back into the monitor and restoring the factory defaults - and then plugging it back into your TV

Or you could try using a VGA cable (not as good a quality as HDMI i know) and seeing if you can force your Xbox to accept your TV's resolution....or at least 'confuse' the auto detect feature

When I sent my Xbox to MS they fixed it and sent the same one back - you could insist you get your Xbox back (and not a replacement) and that way you don't have to worry about the saves....

hope this helps in some small way

:)

Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts

Was your 360 used or new??? if used then it probally was the previous owners fault...if new it might have some kind of bug in it or something....

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Hi....Have you tried plugging it into your kid's TV and setting it as a lower resolution (say 720p or 1080i) and then plugging it back into your TV to see if it can pick up that the resolution has changed.....and might reset the video settings

(sorry - typing this as I think about your problem......)

Have you also tried plugging it back into the monitor and restoring the factory defaults - and then plugging it back into your TV

Or you could try using a VGA cable (not as good a quality as HDMI i know) and seeing if you can force your Xbox to accept your TV's resolution....or at least 'confuse' the auto detect feature

When I sent my Xbox to MS they fixed it and sent the same one back - you could insist you get your Xbox back (and not a replacement) and that way you don't have to worry about the saves....

hope this helps in some small way

:)

craigkelleigh

Sadly I've tried connecting it to the kids TV, reducing the res and then plugging it back in. Have also done the same with the monitor. The only thing I haven't tried is plugging it into the Phillips TV via component or VGA and seeing if that will work. The only reason for that is because the TV is wall mounted and a right PITA to get down.

Thanks for the feedback regarding repairs. I'll keep that in mind and request a repair not a refurb when I actually send it off. Heard so many stories about the loss of saved games or DLC not working anymore etc that I worry about refurbs.

Also, when I upgraded from the 60gb console to the 120gb last yaer, I used the "digital rights transfer" thing. You're only allowed one of them per year for transferring content toa new console although I'd imagine they'd cover that if I did end up with a refurb.

isuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 isuperior
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
hey, man i have the same problem with mine i have the same tv. My tv wont display my xbox at times. ( I think the problem is you have to turn the tv on then the xbox for some reason if i turn the xbox on before the tv it wont display) I gess its a glitch or something, just wait a few minutes turn your tv on then your xbox it should work for some reason it does for me. Please reply if this helps or not if not ill look into it for you.
TheLaughingBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheLaughingBoy
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hi, I have the same problem! What did you do to fix it? Please say that you found out what caused the problem! :D

F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts
Sounds like an issue with your TV and not your xbox, try to fiddle with the settings and see if you can find a solution(sure you've done this already though.)
MvL_Chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MvL_Chris
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i have a xbox 360 which is one of the newest range and when i try use it with a HDMI cable it just doesnt come up at all on the screen any ideas?
TrooPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TrooPlayer
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts
[QUOTE="isuperior"]hey, man i have the same problem with mine i have the same tv. My tv wont display my xbox at times. ( I think the problem is you have to turn the tv on then the xbox for some reason if i turn the xbox on before the tv it wont display) I gess its a glitch or something, just wait a few minutes turn your tv on then your xbox it should work for some reason it does for me. Please reply if this helps or not if not ill look into it for you.

My friends tv did the same thing if you turned the xbox on first it wouldn't come on but if you did the opposite it worked fine.
Gata7483

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gata7483
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hey, I realize this thread is old, but did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having a nearly identical issue with my Xbox 360.