This topic is locked from further discussion.

JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JoshChambers
Member since 2004 • 1646 Posts

So I have an chance to get a HD DVD player next week but I'm now having second thoughts about it. Would you get one?

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
I already I have one and I have not bought a movie for it in months!!  It's a nice player though.
Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

I got one with my new computer and it's ok. It's not a necessary thing.

RMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 RMage
Member since 2006 • 1176 Posts
HD DVD is the biggest ripoff in consumer products to date. If you have a high quality standard, you wont be able to tell the difference. My brother has a a HD TV and I couldnt really tell the difference between mine and his. Spend your money on drugs or something, at least you get what you paid for.
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts

If you have a nice HDTV, then by all means get one.  If not, then don't bother because it won't be any better than a regular DVD player without a Hi-Def television.  But honestly, I don't think HDDVD is going to be the winner in the format war, (I think Blu-Ray will pretty much dominate), but what do I know?

JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoshChambers

I have a nice HDTV so thats not a problem. As for the whole format war thats why I'm concerned. The only reason that I'm even reconsidering it is because of a deal wal-mart has appartently made to sell just HD-DVDs. Appartently Walmart sells 40% of all DVD's in the nation and basically if they only sale HD DVD it will hurt anyone who does not put there movies in that format. If anyone has the power to change the "format war" it would be walmart.

Of course I also dont want to have someone spend $200 on something that might be dead technology in 1 year.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#7 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
I love mine, but it's not necessary at all to have. It's a big leap in picture quality, but it's not big enough to make you want to repurchase your entire DVD library.
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts

HD DVD is the biggest ripoff in consumer products to date. If you have a high quality standard, you wont be able to tell the difference. My brother has a a HD TV and I couldnt really tell the difference between mine and his. Spend your money on drugs or something, at least you get what you paid for.RMage

Your money should be spent to have your eyes checked if you cant tell the difference between even an upconverted DVD and a HD-DVD.

tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tkemory

I love mine, but it's not necessary at all to have. It's a big leap in picture quality, but it's not big enough to make you want to repurchase your entire DVD library.spazzx625

I agree, I dont plan on replacing anything in my DVD library only buying new movies as they come out. 

I dont understand why they are releasing older movies in HD-DVD generally speaking the source isnt good enough to get your money out of the format.

JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JoshChambers
everyone is making this difficult. I dont think I've actually seen a poll where it is off by 1 vote. Anyone else have an oppinon?
dinb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dinb
Member since 2003 • 1185 Posts

I have it since I got a great deal on it. The differnece in picture is significant on my HDTV 50" plasma. If you live in the US then I would get it for sure since you can rent HD movies already.

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts

everyone is making this difficult. I dont think I've actually seen a poll where it is off by 1 vote. Anyone else have an oppinon? JoshChambers

You are not going to like this answer, but this is something that you are going to have to decide for yourself.  I do own the player and mostly because it was a relatively cheap purchase ($170) for me.  I just recently started buying more movies and own about 4 now (King Kong, Serenity, Batman Begins and Happy Feet).  Planet Earth is on the way and in the future I want to pick up the Mission:Impossible trilogy.  The quality of the picture is very good, but that will depend on the movie and quality of the transfer.  But it really has a lot more to do with your TV too.  If you have a good 1080p native TV and a 360 Elite, then this is a moot point.  But the picture still looks quite impressive on my 720p native (but 1080i capable) Toshiba.

One knock on the player, though, is that it can't support the new HD sound formats, only Dolby Digital.  But if you don't have a sound system capable of decoding those, as well as supporting a 7.1 or higher speaker format, that won't make one bit of a difference.

I'm not going to get into a big discussion about the format war.  I feel both will simply do decent and both will be around for quite a while.

So, again, its something that you will have to decide for yourself.  Its a good product for sure, you just have to decide if its worth it for you personally.

JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JoshChambers
bump
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts

[QUOTE="spazzx625"]I love mine, but it's not necessary at all to have. It's a big leap in picture quality, but it's not big enough to make you want to repurchase your entire DVD library.tkemory

I agree, I dont plan on replacing anything in my DVD library only buying new movies as they come out.

I dont understand why they are releasing older movies in HD-DVD generally speaking the source isnt good enough to get your money out of the format.

I'd actually disagree with that last statement. I own both Goodfellas and The Jerk on HDDVD and they look great. Yeah, they don't look as good as a new movie, but they still look much better than their DVD counterparts. 

aphex5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 aphex5
Member since 2006 • 128 Posts
Another point of interest with the format war is that over here in Europe HD-DVD's are almost non existent,even if u find somewhere that sells HD-DVD's the catologue of titles is terrible.We dont seem to have even a quarter of the titles that u have.Counter that with the fact that BlueRay movies are everywhere here since the launch of the PS3.I think HD-DVD is dead unfortunatly.
JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JoshChambers
bump
Muhannad_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Muhannad_basic
Member since 2002 • 3687 Posts
I honestly returned mine after two days because i thought the picture improvement isn't worth the $200 over a regular DVD player!
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tkemory
Another point of interest with the format war is that over here in Europe HD-DVD's are almost non existent,even if u find somewhere that sells HD-DVD's the catologue of titles is terrible.We dont seem to have even a quarter of the titles that u have.Counter that with the fact that BlueRay movies are everywhere here since the launch of the PS3.I think HD-DVD is dead unfortunatly.aphex5
Wierd, seems the reports I have read HD-DVD is doing better than Blu-Ray in Europe.  Maybe that is why you are having trouble finding them, people are buying them :).
secondomen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 secondomen
Member since 2003 • 885 Posts

HD DVD is the biggest ripoff in consumer products to date. If you have a high quality standard, you wont be able to tell the difference. My brother has a a HD TV and I couldnt really tell the difference between mine and his. Spend your money on drugs or something, at least you get what you paid for.RMage

Funny how the Mods will delete a post containing flaming and cussing but not delete a post blatantly telling some one to go buy "drugs".  Ignorance is bliss eh?  He could have been talking about cough medicine right? lol effin Mods. 

Any ways.  HDDVD BluRay w/e if you have the money and an HDTV why not.  I havent felt the urge to run out and buy a HDDVD player simply cuz Im a gamer and strictly game.  As long as I have my Games in HD I dont give a cuff like the eff werd reversed. 

darkagent0019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darkagent0019
Member since 2005 • 224 Posts

I would say no just because it is still way too early to get into a new format. I have a Pro X360 but will not buy the HD-DVD add-on. I bought Blu-Ray movies just because my PS3 can play them. If it didn't I wouldn't go out and buy an add-on or whatever.

So you should just wait. 1080p HDTVs are gradually going down in price. High definition movie players are gradually going down in price. Time will show which format will be dominant. So waiting would be a very good choice, in my opinion.

tonyleo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tonyleo01
Member since 2004 • 2255 Posts

I got both PS3 and the 360 add-on. When you're at Bestbuy shoping for your next-gen and see HD-DVD and Blu-Ray rack sitting side by side, you'll see that HD-DVD got a bunch of remastered older movies. Blu-Ray, on the other hands, got more new releases. I don't really justify my purchase toward my sony ps3 and I do like a lot of sony/columbia picture movies.

BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BeErBOnG29
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

HD DVD is the biggest ripoff in consumer products to date. If you have a high quality standard, you wont be able to tell the difference. My brother has a a HD TV and I couldnt really tell the difference between mine and his. Spend your money on drugs or something, at least you get what you paid for.RMage

I don't know which you're talking about, but in either case you're blind. There is a night and day difference between HD and SD... if you fail to see this, then I pity you. If you're talking about comparing an upconverting DVD player to an HD DVD player, there is still a large difference but not an extremely dramatic one.

AgentVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AgentVX
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts

If you got a new HD monitor, I would purchase one.  You get King Kong, a 360 remote and the HD-DVD player.  Picture quality on a HD monitor look noticeably better, at a cheap price.

And if you like me, I won't buy many/if any new releases.  I always start out with favorites from the past like LOTR, Matrix, Apocolyse Now, Snatch, Saving Private Ryan.........(not that all of these will come out on HD-DVD in the next while, if ever)

Regarding the format war, roughly under 2% of all movies sales come from HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.  Anyone saying that one will win right now is just guessing.  If the rumor of Wal Mart getting out cheap HD-DVD players this Christmas is true, then HD-DVD will have a great chance at winning the format war.  If not, then as it sits, Blu-Ray has recently surpassed HD-DVD and could possibly gain momentum, but then again it could falter.

Oh, the choices of jumping aboard a new format???

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
If the rumor of Wal Mart getting out cheap HD-DVD players this Christmas is true, then HD-DVD will have a great chance at winning the format warAgentVX
Walmart said its not true at all.
JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JoshChambers
Walmart denied they made a deal but did not say they were not still looking to make some kind of deal like that. They have openly said they want a cheap HD DVD player by christmas.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I say get it.  You wanna know why?  It upscales regualar DVDs to 1080p, and it's nice to not wear down the gaming DVD drive by watching movies.  So one drive for movies and one drive for games = longer lifespan of your 360.  Even if HD-DVD fails as a format, it's nice to have a high quality DVD player that upscales like a champ and helps your system last.
SpaceMatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SpaceMatt
Member since 2003 • 3588 Posts
I've got one, and I enjoy having it if only to have the ability to have two movies or a movie and a game in my 360 ready to go at a moment's notice. It's nice to just be able to come back to my room from class, play Gears or something, then start watching a movie without having to get up and change anything.
JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JoshChambers
anyone else have an opinion? I'm going to make a decision today if I am going to get it or not.
YourLastDay86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 YourLastDay86
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
I'd wait and see how the technology spans out. Personally, I wouldn't wanna fork out some serious cash just because my movie might look better...
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 teebeenz
I would suggest saing th cash for the big games at the end of the year and in the new year pick up a player for one of the formats.
matt3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 matt3456
Member since 2002 • 326 Posts

I say get it but make sure you get Planet Earth with it.  It came in the mail today so I watched some while my wife was on her lunch break.  She said it was giving her chills.  It looked amazing.

Blu-Ray isn't outselling hd-dvd by very much.  Right now it's a VERY close race in terms of sales but I think that the matrix trilogy will put hd-dvd over the top.

JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JoshChambers

I would suggest saing th cash for the big games at the end of the year and in the new year pick up a player for one of the formats.teebeenz

This isnt about saving money as my girlfriend would be buying it for me for my bday.

I find this topic quite intresting. I've seen the no's down by 5 or more and now the yes's are up by a few. It seems like most people are 50/50 on this.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

[QUOTE="teebeenz"]I would suggest saing th cash for the big games at the end of the year and in the new year pick up a player for one of the formats.JoshChambers

This isnt about saving money as my girlfriend would be buying it for me for my bday.

I find this topic quite intresting. I've seen the no's down by 5 or more and now the yes's are up by a few. It seems like most people are 50/50 on this.

Netflix's CEO just joined Microsoft's board, so maybe you shoud spend the money on the 120 gb hard drive.  We may one day soon be able to download Netflix movies over Marketplace.  That's the best way to get HD content to me... there's just such a limited library up there right now.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Blu-ray is a safer bet right now than HD DVD.

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 teebeenz
I've seen the no's down by 5 or more and now the yes's are up by a few. It seems like most people are 50/50 on this. JoshChambers
You are asking this on the 360 board, ask on the PS3 board or elsewhere and youd probably get more for BD.
jadkins555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jadkins555
Member since 2003 • 483 Posts
I would also recommend not getting it.  I bought one and regret it because there are simply so few movies available.  Also, when something does come out you may be intereseted in, it could end up being Blu-Ray exclusive.  In short, wait a year or more until more content is out there.
JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JoshChambers

I would also recommend not getting it.  I bought one and regret it because there are simply so few movies available.  Also, when something does come out you may be intereseted in, it could end up being Blu-Ray exclusive.  In short, wait a year or more until more content is out there.jadkins555

yeah but I have netflix which has a ton of HD DVD movies. I'm thinking now after researching this I do want to get it. More thoughts are always welcomed though.