Has anyone actually installed GTAV play disk to USB drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#1 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

Hi all

just wondering if anyone else has installed the play disk to a USB device? If so has anyone noticed any improvements over just running the game from the play disk? I installed the "install" disk to the Xbox HDD and just run the game from the play disk. I notice some pop up and frame rate drops (though I think this is to be expected) 

Thanks in advance 

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
From what I understand, it should help any framerate issues, though I haven't noticed any yet. Some of it could also depend on how old your 360 hard drive happens to be, as the one I have I just got a couple months ago, and everything else on the system loads quicker than from my old one. I tried to install disk 2 to an 8GB flash drive that met the 360 requirements, but it looks like disk 2 is just over the size to fit on it, so I didn't have an option to install to it.
bri000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bri000
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

i did since i only have the 4 gb box.  Never tried it before but formatted the usb drive ,  installed disc 1 and good to go though it took a good while to install. 

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

Rockstar have advised not to install the play disk... playing it off of the disk will give optimum performance.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

Rockstar have advised not to install the play disk... playing it off of the disk will give optimum performance.

adders99

They said that you shouldn't install it to your HDD.  The USB could be a different story since the console is still pulling the information from 2 different places.

I'd like to see any analysis.  It's an interesting idea.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I tried to install disk 2 to an 8GB flash drive that met the 360 requirements, but it looks like disk 2 is just over the size to fit on it, so I didn't have an option to install to it.Stinger78

Has to be a 16gig drive

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I installed the play disc onto the hard drive and the install disc onto a fast USB drive. The game runs great. I don't have the pop-ins that I had when I had both discs on the hard drive and the initial load is much faster.
bri000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bri000
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Stinger78"] I tried to install disk 2 to an 8GB flash drive that met the 360 requirements, but it looks like disk 2 is just over the size to fit on it, so I didn't have an option to install to it.Jaysonguy

Has to be a 16gig drive

it is, runs perfectly fine though I dont have much game time in yet but loads fast and looks nice

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

I have mine installed to a usb drive to cut down on DVD drive noise (old 360), and wear and tear. As far as I can tell it runs perfectly, haven't noticed excessive texture loading or pop-in.getyeryayasout

great!  how long does it take to instal the disc to the usb drive?

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I did. Works like a champ. Only popup is far, far away trees etc. when flying. I got a 16gb flash stick at Best Buy for $10, btw.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 donalbane

[QUOTE="getyeryayasout"]I have mine installed to a usb drive to cut down on DVD drive noise (old 360), and wear and tear. As far as I can tell it runs perfectly, haven't noticed excessive texture loading or pop-in.Talldude80

great! how long does it take to instal the disc to the usb drive?

20 minutes or so. It was a bit on the long side, but nothing too unbearable.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 donalbane

adders99
They advised you not to install the play disc to the hard drive. Eurogamer wrote an article confirming that installing the play disc to a USB drive (while the install disc is installed to the standard HD) works great. And I can confirm that this is the case. Don't be afraid. It does feel a bit like the N64 days with the ram upgrade expansion though lol.