GTA IV star only made $100,000

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bike749

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bike749
Member since 2005 • 829 Posts

Forget liberty - give us residuals or give us death. It's a sentiment shared by countless actors, and one most poignantly offered by Michael Hollick, better known as the voice of GTA IV's immigrant star, Niko Bellic.

In a New York Times article, Hollick revealed that he earned about $100,000 for 15 months of work recording dialogue for his role as GTA IV's protagonist. The game, however, has gone on to rake in over $600 million in a mere two weeks.

And Hollick won't see a dime of it.

"It's tough, when you see Grand Theft Auto IV out there as the biggest thing going right now, when they're making hundreds of millions of dollars, and we don't see any of it," Hollick told the Times. "I don't blame Rockstar. I blame our union for not having the agreements in place to protect the creative people who drive the sales of these games."

The pay discrepancy stems from the fact that Hollywood has yet to make provisions for electronic media, including video games or the Internet. Instead, actors get paid standard Screen Actor's Guild day wages for their work (roughly $730), leaving them out of the lucrative residual loop should a property become financially successful. When it becomes as successful as GTA IV, an actor could be out literally millions.

Hollick is also peeved that he received no additional compensation for lending his voice to the game's massive marketing blitz.

"The first GTA 4 trailer generated something like 40 million hits online, and that's my voice all over it, and I get nothing. If that were a radio spot, I would have. Same thing for the TV ads. I recorded those lines for the game, but now they're all over television."

Further muddling matters is the fact that numerous artists, programmers and engineers contribute to the creation of a virtual character like Niko Bellic. Where, execs claim, do you draw the residual line?

We suspect they're about to find out. The issue bears a distinct resemblance to last year's writer's strike, leading many to speculate a similar battle between the Actor's Guild and Hollywood this summer. After spending a few weeks playing GTA IV, I wouldn't bet against the Niko. Have you seen what that guy would do for money?

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/gta-iv-star-only-made-100-000/1215423

especensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 especensor
Member since 2006 • 3180 Posts
that is stupidly unfair. he should've gotten at least a bit more than what he got.
Avatar image for oOoOoGibboOoOoO
oOoOoGibboOoOoO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 oOoOoGibboOoOoO
Member since 2008 • 57 Posts

being honest this is just stupid before he started voice acting he should of just asked how much would he get in the end

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

I like how he ONLY got $100,000. Not bad for a bit of voice work.

While I am sympathetic but he really has no right to complain. Everyone knew GTA IV was going to be a mega hit. And if he didn't read the fine print before signing the contract then he has only himself to blame.

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts

being honest this is just stupid before he started voice acting he should of just asked how much would he get in the end

oOoOoGibboOoOoO

He knew exactly how much he would get. Then he probably read a few articles talking about how much Rockstar is making and decided he wanted some. $100k for 15 months is damn good money, plus all of the publicity is priceless.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

While I am sympathetic but he really has no right to complain. Everyone knew GTA IV was going to be a mega hit. And if he didn't read the fine print before signing the contract then he has only himself to blame.

capthavic

I agree, for the most part. That amount of money for voice work seems pretty good. Didn't people used to complain about actors' incredibly high compensations? Now we're complaining that someone isn't being paid an exorbitant amount.

Voice actors just are not the driving force in video games that movie stars are in film. I appreciate Michael Ironside in Splinter Cell, or Keith David in, well, everything, but they still would have been great games without them. Think with me here...has bad voice work ever ruined a game? I can think of bad games that also had bad voice acting, and it just made things worse, but I'm hard pressed to come up with a game where the voice acting was the deciding factor. Maybe someone else can think of one.

I'd be interested to know how much every other non-owner made during the GTA4 development cycle. I guess if everyone on the programming team and the art team made far more than $80,000/year, then yeah, this whole thing might be unfair.

gears90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 gears90
Member since 2008 • 626 Posts
O great now we're going to have a voice actor strike...
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
He didn't even know he was voicing GTAIV until he was doing the job for a while.
Avatar image for Keitarourashima
Keitarourashima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Keitarourashima
Member since 2004 • 1422 Posts

capthavic
He was two weeks in before he knew that it was GTA Iv being made, by then he was already under contract. He had other things to do like boradway shows and stuff at the time, so he's not like a bum sleeping in a trash can because of this.
mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
I'd take 100 grand in a heartbeat. That's a pretty good paycheck, he made about 100,000 dollars that year. Of course, compared to how much GTA made, that's ridiculous, but I wouldn't complain.
jiff_man12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jiff_man12
Member since 2005 • 88 Posts
same thing happened with the guy who voiced tommy vercetti.
scottie300z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 scottie300z
Member since 2004 • 418 Posts
[QUOTE="capthavic"]

Keitarourashima

He was two weeks in before he knew that it was GTA Iv being made, by then he was already under contract. He had other things to do like boradway shows and stuff at the time, so he's not like a bum sleeping in a trash can because of this.

So what? thats why you ask questions and not just take jobs. Did he not care what it was that he'd be a part of?

CCCRT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 CCCRT
Member since 2005 • 196 Posts
I don't understand when actors complain about money. They are getting paid to talk, and just for doing that amount of talking they make more money than most people ever will. I would take $100,000 for "acting" in a second.
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

I think the Studio Execs raise the best point. Who is Niko Belic? Someone drew him, someone animated him, someone mo-capped him and someone voiced him and so on.

To single out the voice isn't right, and it's not like this guy was the best, I'm sure there are a million other actors that could make an eastern Euro accent sound as good. Not saying this chap did a bad job, but if I look at it from the other side, this guy in no way should become a millionaire because of his work.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

same thing happened with the guy who voiced tommy vercetti.jiff_man12

I'm sure movie star Ray Liotta is doing just fine.

Toastman923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Toastman923
Member since 2003 • 385 Posts
Thats a pretty good sum. Someone above mentioned publicity, but on top of that, think of how many developers may want him in the future for voice work
AceofOpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AceofOpus
Member since 2008 • 61 Posts
He is a good voice actor, probably one of the best I have heard in a while. Since the game is so popular maybe he should have gotten some more money but I am sure the publicity helps. If he can pull of some different voices he could a big name in voice acting.
FLzthvikings87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FLzthvikings87
Member since 2007 • 721 Posts

[QUOTE="jiff_man12"]same thing happened with the guy who voiced tommy vercetti.Large_Soda

No ****. besides im certain ray liotta got enough money of off vice city. He wasn't some broadway actor who was willing to take a $100,000 pay check.

jiff_man12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jiff_man12
Member since 2005 • 88 Posts
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

[QUOTE="jiff_man12"]same thing happened with the guy who voiced tommy vercetti.FLzthvikings87

No ****. besides im certain ray liotta got enough money of off vice city. He wasn't some broadway actor who was willing to take a $100,000 pay check.

i meant that ray also wanted a bigger cut since he saw what a success VC was. i wasn't talking about the 100,000 part, jeez.

jstarzyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 jstarzyk
Member since 2004 • 3507 Posts
[QUOTE="oOoOoGibboOoOoO"]

SuperBeast

He knew exactly how much he would get. Then he probably read a few articles talking about how much Rockstar is making and decided he wanted some. $100k for 15 months is damn good money, plus all of the publicity is priceless.

Plus, what the company makes is of no consequence to him. He contracted for 100k. If he had wanted more, he should have bargained for it. If more was not available, then Rockstar could have contracted someone else. If the game had sold only one copy, he still would have made his 100k!
Bison_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bison_Green
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="SuperBeast"][QUOTE="oOoOoGibboOoOoO"]

jstarzyk

Plus, what the company makes is of no consequence to him. He contracted for 100k. If he had wanted more, he should have bargained for it. If more was not available, then Rockstar could have contracted someone else. If the game had sold only one copy, he still would have made his 100k!

I completely agree with this guy.If he was contracted for 100,000,well then thats all he should get.Whether the game is succesful or not should have nothing to do with it.

FLzthvikings87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FLzthvikings87
Member since 2007 • 721 Posts
[QUOTE="FLzthvikings87"][QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

[QUOTE="jiff_man12"]same thing happened with the guy who voiced tommy vercetti.jiff_man12

i meant that ray also wanted a bigger cut since he saw what a success VC was. i wasn't talking about the 100,000 part, jeez.

then voice actors and actors who to voice overs need to be alittle smarter when it comes to signing contracts for such roles. sign a contract with a clause in it that states for ever $100,000 worth sold you get such and such percent. If you use your voice for the trialers you get such and such percent.

sergeantscul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sergeantscul
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts
Its his fault he didnt ask for more. And im assuming he didnt know JACK **** about GTA, because if he knew anything... he realize this is going to be a multimillion dollar making game...
Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts

same thing happened with the guy who voiced tommy vercetti.jiff_man12

Ray Liotta. I would've accepted the money regardless. It would've made my day.

Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts

Being in a GTA game, and getting paid? lol i wouldn't mind that at all.

yucky_straw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 yucky_straw
Member since 2007 • 1225 Posts
Why is he complaining now? He knew how much they were going to pay him before he took the gig. He also had to of known that GTA4 would be the biggest video game release ever. So at the time it seems that $100,000 for doing the voice of the star character didn't seem so bad to him. But now that he has seen the inevitable big numbers GTA4 is doing he wants more money. It's his own fault if he undersold his talents.
xxxMoreBeerxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xxxMoreBeerxxx
Member since 2006 • 993 Posts
ONLY $100,000 for using his voice and maybe walking. Sounds more than enough to me. When he works a real, physical job making $10 hour then he can complain but when he makes as much as a doctor for doing nothing there is something wrong.
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
Maybe he should have gotten a bit more than $100,000. I don't know. But it's not like he programmed the game. His voice acting is a very small part of the production of the game as a whole.
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts
Thats a lot of money for some voice work. He should just shut up and enjoy all that money.
rrandolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rrandolph
Member since 2006 • 203 Posts

lol, I disagree with you guys. I believe you're all speaking from your own personal finance situations and yeah sounds likes $100,000 would set you guys for life! News flash it won't. lol. It has nothing to do with reading contracts or him wanted more $ after the sucess of GTAIV or anything like that. It has to do with residual income! Are you guys kidding me? We all listen to this guy everyday, some of us for like 5-8 hrs a day. That's a full days job for most and you think he should have gotten $100,000. Someone mentioned it earlier that he should have not signed the contract unless there was a provision to be paid according to sales. I think that's exactly what he's saying don't you? Seems to me right now he is saying that is not allowed to happen for some reason. Some crazy video game or internet rule (I forgot how he put it). I have a question for you guys. Do you even know how much money GTAIV has made? And the voice of Niko gets $100,000. U got to be kidding me.

It's no different than voice acting for one of those cartoon animated movies. Even if you guys don't agree he should at least get paid everytime the commerical airs. Come on. Every other media operates in that fashion. I'm not saying the guy is poor or anything but what's fair is fair.

rrandolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rrandolph

Thats a lot of money for some voice work. He should just shut up and enjoy all that money.mimic-Denmark

LMAO, OMG u guys r hilarious. $100,000 isn't alot of money. LMAO $100,000 doesn't even buy you a house today. LMAO. What r u guys talking about.

Avatar image for NOWHEREFADED120
NOWHEREFADED120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NOWHEREFADED120
Member since 2005 • 157 Posts
I cant believe members of the SAG get a min. of 750 a day for work. WOW!
rrandolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rrandolph

ONLY $100,000 for using his voice and maybe walking. Sounds more than enough to me. When he works a real, physical job making $10 hour then he can complain but when he makes as much as a doctor for doing nothing there is something wrong.xxxMoreBeerxxx

Wow, ok what dr. r u going to so I can know not to go to them. U have the cheapest dr. in the land. lol U might want to double that figure to get a dr.'s salary.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts

[QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"]Thats a lot of money for some voice work. He should just shut up and enjoy all that money.rrandolph

LMAO, OMG u guys r hilarious. $100,000 isn't alot of money. LMAO $100,000 doesn't even buy you a house today. LMAO. What r u guys talking about.

100,000 in fifteen months is a good amount of income. Over a lifetime it is absolutely nothing, but judging from the work he did (GTA IV) more work will be coming his way.
xkojimax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xkojimax
Member since 2006 • 1082 Posts
he deserves alot better... what a great VO.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
[QUOTE="oOoOoGibboOoOoO"]

SuperBeast

Exactly. 100,000 for 15 months, how is this bad? It's not like he's an Artist being exploited by Itunes or something...He didn't MAKE the game, he did some VO work...It's not even like he has the rights to the character.

He got more than enough, he had absolutely no creative involvement, why should he reap the benefits?

Your name in the credits for the main character, in this record shattering game, what more can you ask for?

I think it's funny how he's acting like he's being exploited like the writers strike...No sympathy. Comes off like a publicity stunt to me.

DWNSHFT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DWNSHFT
Member since 2004 • 4735 Posts
$100K for 15 months of having your voice recorded sounds like easy money. Definately nothing to complain about
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
It may not sound fair that he gets a 'massive' $100k, but when compared to others who do similar or smaller amounts of work, you'll see that it's not actually that much. Maybe he doesn't deserve more, but if so, then neither do other voice actors.
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

[QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"]Thats a lot of money for some voice work. He should just shut up and enjoy all that money.rrandolph

So, he should get a house for doing some voice work? People that save others peoples lives should be getting entire countries if we follow your logic then.

diablobasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 diablobasher
Member since 2004 • 5088 Posts

100k for 15 months and he's complaining?? He'll see no sympathy from me, what about those of use who do more than just talk into a microphone for a living hmm?

I should be complaining I get less than $900 a month.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
$100,000 and being the main character in the single largest piece of entertainment media ever released...he's fine.
out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts
100K , I dont even make that in 2 years. I'm done with actors.
Coffee_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Coffee_Blade
Member since 2008 • 707 Posts

He doesn't deserve any more than he got. There are people working real jobs for fourty plus hours a week while he sits in front of a mic. Honestly, there are plenty of people who could have voiced niko. He wasn't that important

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Some people in this thread are making statemtents as if Hollick were an actor who literally portrayed Bellic. This is simply not the case. Large_Soda already pointed out that a whole team of artists, performers, and programmers came together to create Bellic, not to mention the host of people who made everything else GTA4. If everyone of them is getting paid $80,000, then they're doing fairly well.

It's not like he could've demanded more anyway. So what if he said, "I'll only do this for two million dollars"? They'd laugh him out of the office, and find someone else who can do a Eastern European accent. It's not like he's irreplacable. You can't make Indiana Jones IV without Harrison Ford, but I'm pretty sure you can make Grand Theft Auto without Michael Hollick.

TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheBigTicket21
Member since 2004 • 30875 Posts
if he didnt understand the hugeness of GTA4 well than he screwed himself
Avatar image for mariomusicmaker
mariomusicmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 mariomusicmaker
Member since 2006 • 1426 Posts
he got atleast 2 years wages for 1 years worth of fairly easy work, why would you expect a % of the total profit? now the comercials, i agree but you should not be able to get money bassed on how much a game sells.
69ANT69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 69ANT69
Member since 2007 • 8472 Posts
sounds reasonable he only has to talk for a day or two, I wouldn't complain if I was given $100,000 just to lend my voice,
kyletoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kyletoker
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts
i dont know why they dont just give him a million, it wont even put a dent in rockstars wallet
Prodigy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Prodigy117
Member since 2006 • 998 Posts
Lol the way the guy who played Roman complained was much better...
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
[QUOTE="Keitarourashima"][QUOTE="capthavic"]

scottie300z

So what? thats why you ask questions and not just take jobs. Did he not care what it was that he'd be a part of?

Yeah what kind of an excuse is that?. Not once before or even during those two weeks did he ever ask what he was working on? I would think that would be the first thing you find out before you sign a contract.

And the second being how much you'll be paid.