GeOW's value rating of 9 is bullcrap

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for PotatoSandWitch
PotatoSandWitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 PotatoSandWitch
Member since 2007 • 843 Posts

I think the GameSpot rating of GeOW's "value" is pretty much bullcrap, since they emphasize single player way too much for most games (IMO multiplayer is far more important most of the time), but in GeOW's case it's like they forgot the single player lasted only a few hours.

Let's compare it to Halo2. The single player lasts around the same as GeOW's. There are different difficulties and co-op (yeah, no online but it was in 2004).

GeOW has 2 gametypes that are nearly identical (warzone/execution); assassination, which nobody plays, and territorries (annex). At launch it had 10 maps (pretty sure). In my opinion, Gears maps aren't special AT ALL. They are mostly symmetrical, and it seems in a lot of cases the designers put more effort into how they look instead of how they play. For people like me who really like online shooters, how a map looks isn't important as long as textures and minimal detail are existant.

Halo2 launched with maps that weren't all good but several that were very well designed (like lockout - lockout's awesome). It also had many more game modes (and the ability to create modes), a party system, and a multiplayer system that was way ahead of anything (still is too - kinda sad). All that for a 9 in value, the same score as GeOW's value rating, 2 years ago.

If Halo2 get's a 9 then GeOW get's a 5. People have been getting bored of its multiplayer since within a month or two of release.

I continue to think that people who say Gears of War is FAR better than Halo couldn't match up to the skill of "little kids" on Halo2 who they constantly complain about. Who cares what pitch their voice is in, long as they know how to play. Go play Gears of War and hold B the whole match; then quit when the host kills you with a shotgun from 15 feet away.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

i think the game deserved its score, but personally i feel the game is a little bit overrated

the game got REALLY old for me in only about a month 

ktm1255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 ktm1255
Member since 2006 • 423 Posts
i disagree
hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts
Well I wouldn't give its value a 5, but probably more like a 7-8. Yeah, I agree the multiplayer is pretty broken, but the single player is memorable enough to go back to it.
logicbombx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 logicbombx
Member since 2004 • 866 Posts
I've spent tons of hours playing the co-op and the multiplayer.  Just because you don't like it doesn't mean GS was wrong.  That is like saying, burnout is crap because I hate arcade racers.  This seems like a troll post to me.  Lots of people love the gears multiplayer, it is the #1 most played thing on Xbox live.  9 is a fair number because of the multiplayer plus, as I've said I've played through the co-op several times already.
Avatar image for HyperMetaDragon
HyperMetaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 HyperMetaDragon
Member since 2006 • 5345 Posts

I think the GameSpot rating of GeOW's "value" is pretty much bullcrap, since they emphasize single player way too much for most games (IMO multiplayer is far more important most of the time), but in GeOW's case it's like they forgot the single player lasted only a few hours.

Let's compare it to Halo2. The single player lasts around the same as GeOW's. There are different difficulties and co-op (yeah, no online but it was in 2004).

GeOW has 2 gametypes that are nearly identical (warzone/execution); assassination, which nobody plays, and territorries (annex). At launch it had 10 maps (pretty sure). In my opinion, Gears maps aren't special AT ALL. They are mostly symmetrical, and it seems in a lot of cases the designers put more effort into how they look instead of how they play. For people like me who really like online shooters, how a map looks isn't important as long as textures and minimal detail are existant.

Halo2 launched with maps that weren't all good but several that were very well designed (like lockout - lockout's awesome). It also had many more game modes (and the ability to create modes), a party system, and a multiplayer system that was way ahead of anything (still is too - kinda sad). All that for a 9 in value, the same score as GeOW's value rating, 2 years ago.

If Halo2 get's a 9 then GeOW get's a 5. People have been getting bored of its multiplayer since within a month or two of release.

I continue to think that people who say Gears of War is FAR better than Halo couldn't match up to the skill of "little kids" on Halo2 who they constantly complain about. Who cares what pitch their voice is in, long as they know how to play. Go play Gears of War and hold B the whole match; then quit when the host kills you with a shotgun from 15 feet away.

PotatoSandWitch

You're absolutely right about the symetrical Gears of War maps, "butcha ain't gonna be hatin' on ma Gridlock, foo, or else!"

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#7 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts
maybe you could of argued that back in Nov. 06, but here in May 07, no one gives a crap.
ag1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ag1002
Member since 2004 • 13499 Posts
pish posh
blahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 blahzor
Member since 2005 • 2287 Posts

Although i agree that Gears of War recieved a value higher then it should, and is slightly overrated, it is still amazing.  It's been more then 4 months since i got gears, and i'm still playing it.  The added maps and game mode give new life to the game, keeping it from being stagnant, though i personally would still be playing it for some time even if they had not added these.

It's single player is far too short(i thought it was significantly shorther then HL2, but that's me), however the achievements give extra incentive to play through it multiple times(first on hardcore, then insane after you unlock it as well as playing coop as dom). 

As you said, at launch it had limited game modes which were not differentiated very well.  This also deters from the value of the game.  However, gears of war has addictive gameplay.  ANd that, combined with it's many great maps(i strongly disagree with your point on maps, almost every map provides a unique experience, and almost every map is well created) and the incentive to play through the single player multiple times is what gives it great value.  Not to mention, it's a mind blowing experience the first time through with its cinematic presentation, gorgeous visuals, and intense gameplay.. that adds to the value significantly.  I always understood value was not merely how many hours you will log into a game, but whether it was worth the cash being fronted.. thus, the unique and amazing experience gears gives increases its value.

I would have given gears a value of 7 or 8 personally.  It's a killer app, and i wouldn't expect a killer app to ever have a value lower then a 7(or more precisely, i wouldn't expect a game that scores less then 7 in the "is it worht owning" depertment to be considered a killer app).

tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts

Its all a matter of opinion, I personally dont do much multi-player so I couldnt care about it exact opposite of you.  So for me and others like me the 9 makes sense.

Thanks for using paragraphs in your long rant but you havent swayed me.

-Sora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Sora
Member since 2004 • 15152 Posts
Lockout is an awful map.
butkis689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 butkis689
Member since 2003 • 1955 Posts
a review is someone's opinion, as is your own. you have no right to say right wheter it is right or wrong.
bubnux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bubnux
Member since 2006 • 1934 Posts
A review ia an "opinion", some are formed, others are bought and paid for, others are formed. IMO Gears is the best this particular console has to offer- online or off (shooter  wise).
LUK3isH3RE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LUK3isH3RE
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts
You're forgetting about a little thing called personal opinion here.
vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts

it's interesting to see someone compare gears to halo....origannality at its best..:?

and you take gamespots reviews seriusly?

Franchise2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Franchise2k6
Member since 2005 • 2052 Posts
playing it for 1 month makes it deserve a 9, but after that its pretty over-rated.. so repititive
Franchise2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Franchise2k6
Member since 2005 • 2052 Posts

Lockout is an awful map.-Sora

hahaha your funny 

Packt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Packt
Member since 2004 • 3380 Posts

i think the game deserved its score, but personally i feel the game is a little bit overrated

REforever101

Uh.... that doesn't make sense. 

Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts
Yeah Gears got old much quicker than I predicted apparently...
BikerPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 BikerPunk
Member since 2005 • 966 Posts

dont forget all the 9+ ratings it got from users too.....

i love the game, and can see a few more months of play in it for me personally.

MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts

i disagreektm1255

Along with hundreds of credible review sites. 

secondomen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 secondomen
Member since 2003 • 885 Posts
Great game = Great score.
bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
the multiplayer has like 50 glitches, host advantage sucks, lag, etc... but i still love playin it :D
death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
I agree with the over rated value. But not for you're reasons. Single player is far more important. If you didn't hav live ,i'd give it a 4 for value. My friend completed it in a day and hasnt played it since. Sheerly because he doesn't have live.
Spartan874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Spartan874
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts
i still love the game
jacksheets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jacksheets
Member since 2005 • 1747 Posts
I've played it almost every day since I bought it on the day it came out.  I'll give the value 10+.
3Venom6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 3Venom6
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
yeah id say 8.9 but 9.6 is just outrageous and so is 5
Avatar image for boomshakalaka88
boomshakalaka88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 boomshakalaka88
Member since 2007 • 283 Posts
The day Gears gets 50 more awesome multiplayer modes, 4 player co-op, no more host advantage, and all glitches and bullet lag are removed, Gears will be the best game in the world ever made.
evildoggey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 evildoggey
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts
Complaining about chainsaw and host kills is just as bad as complaining about little kids beating you. Just because GeoW isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean that the value rating should be any lower, their opinion of the game was that it had good value, which i believe, and their opinion is the only one that matters when reviewing a game.
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

maybe you could of argued that back in Nov. 06, but here in May 07, no one gives a crap.FlawlessSeasons

QFT... nonetheless, I agree that Gears was rated too high overall, except for the graphics and sound which I felt were both very impressive. I think that few people can argue with that. But if people have fun with it, then I don't care anyway. I liked the single player... don't care as much for the multiplayer but whatever. It's my money and I was as free to NOT spend it as to spend it. Assuming they live in the Western World (or much of the Eastern World), chances are the TC is free to do the same. 

DoomHawk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DoomHawk92
Member since 2006 • 311 Posts
We thank you for expressing your opinion, now I'm going to kill someone with my host shotgun from 15 feet away.
bleedingbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bleedingbunny
Member since 2006 • 43 Posts
I have figured it out there are always haters and people that love to complain about every fantastic game. Really the only people that dont like the multiplayer is those who get there as#e# handed to them because they suck. i hate when i lose a match it sucks the fun right out of it but if your good at the game yah love it. this game has taken too much of my life away but i still keep comin back. this game has the best multiplayer ever bare none
jdknight21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#33 jdknight21
Member since 2006 • 3282 Posts
I got at least 80 hrs. of MP, 20 hrs of SP and a couple hours of Co-Op.  That means I logged over 100 hrs. on the game in 2 months.  I would have logged alot more if the updates and after x-mas gamers hadn't came along and ruined it.  Putting 100 hrs. into any game I feel is worth a 10. 
ajax_on_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ajax_on_fire
Member since 2007 • 216 Posts
I have played since day one and I am still addicted, playing with friends really extends the value. It should definetley get the 9
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

I'd give Gears a 6 in value because the only time I touch it is when I have no friends on in RSV or a friend wants me to play with him.

The lack of gamemodes and gamebreaking glitches ruin the game and I honestly only play three or four of the maps.

kx6593

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kx6593
Member since 2004 • 1598 Posts
I agree I think GoW is very over rated. Sure it's a good game but nothing near a Halo Killer for me.
Pwnosaurus_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pwnosaurus_Rex
Member since 2007 • 291 Posts

graphics - 10

gameplay -8

sound - 10

value - 7

imo 

tilt - 9 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
deactivated-5f033ecf40fed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
Member since 2004 • 2665 Posts
i disagreektm1255
trickazzmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 trickazzmark
Member since 2005 • 463 Posts
it got that score because it WOWED the hell outta ppl when it 1st came out, but now...it would seem that it should be a lower score because of a lot of problems ppl are having with other gamers glitchin and cheatin etc. etc. which kills the mutliplayer and the bullet lag plus the steriod powered guns of the host, and the story mode is so short.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

Halo and Gears are both great games so just relax and let it go.

Avatar image for PotatoSandWitch
PotatoSandWitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PotatoSandWitch
Member since 2007 • 843 Posts

a review is someone's opinion, as is your own. you have no right to say right wheter it is right or wrong. butkis689
well, that's a stupid thing to say. of course i have a right to express my opinion over an opinion.

the reason i brought up Halo was to bring up another game (that everyone knew about) with the same value score that obviously has more value than GeOW. Yeah, you can play GeOW and have some fun for 3 or 4 months, but Halo2 remained extremely popular for a couple yeras. 

Complaining about chainsaw and host kills is just as bad as complaining about little kids beating you. Just because GeoW isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean that the value rating should be any lower, their opinion of the game was that it had good value, which i believe, and their opinion is the only one that matters when reviewing a game.evildoggey
It isn't nearly as bad to complain about flaws in gameplay than to complain about the "little kid" problem. If they really bother you, it is possible to mute them, although I usually end up muting the idiots who make fun of them every round.

You can't really "mute" stupid stuff in the game like massive host advantage and glitches. 

I got at least 80 hrs. of MP, 20 hrs of SP and a couple hours of Co-Op. That means I logged over 100 hrs. on the game in 2 months. I would have logged alot more if the updates and after x-mas gamers hadn't came along and ruined it. Putting 100 hrs. into any game I feel is worth a 10. jdknight21

If you play the right games, 100 hours is nothing. I'm absolutely sure if you add up the average hours people played Halo2 to GeOW in 10 years (when people have probably stopped playing) Halo2 will be far, far ahead of GeOW.

Halo and Gears are both great games so just relax and let it go.

capthavic
I'm not angry about the reviews or anything; and I view GeOW as a good game; not sad I bought it. Just saying that I think compared to other games' value scores on GameSpot, GeOW's is awkward and undeserving.
Big_T-Mac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Big_T-Mac
Member since 2005 • 6973 Posts

if theres no online coop there might as well not be any coop.

sure, it might not have the depth of halo2, but maybe halo 2 deserved a 10- value and gears deserves a 9.  cuz lets be honest, u can always find whatever game u wanna play on gears.

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts

i thought the value was well deserved.  IMO, GeoW was THE game that emphasized not only what next-gen was about, but what the Xbox 360 strengths were.

1) online co-op:  you simply can't just write this off.  not only was it online, but it focused on teamwork throughout the game.  it wasn't like any shooter where co-op was just single player with another player by your side and more enemies.  the game was designed with co-op in mind.  one thing that comes to mind was when you are underground at the imulsion plant and you and dom are separated in two paths.  on insane, just chugging through the maps will get you a quick death.  but working together, you can safely cross through: your teammate can be taking full fire from the opponent with wretches jumping right at him, but you will have a clear shot at the Locust taking fire at him.  then when you are done helping him, it quickly switches around where he helps you.

2) 8 players online = easy communication on teamwork.  i have played games like H2, PDZ, GRAW, etc... but Gears is one of the few games where teamwork is definitely needed (R6V falls in this category too).  when you play virtually all games where one team is talking and the other isnt... the team who talks to one another is smashing the other team to the ground.  communicating is not just a big part of next-gen gaming... but it was a focal point of one of Xbox 360's strengths: getting involved with this gaming community.

3) graphics. yes... considering this a factor may be shallow... but it doesn't change the fact that prior to the X360... people were wondering how big of a step in graphics next-gen was.  GeoW was the game that had people gasp at how great it is.  not to mention that GeoW compares well to many games that are coming out in the Fall of THIS YEAR (not all of them, but quite a few). 

menduco76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 menduco76
Member since 2006 • 650 Posts

I've spent tons of hours playing the co-op and the multiplayer.  Just because you don't like it doesn't mean GS was wrong.  That is like saying, burnout is crap because I hate arcade racers.  This seems like a troll post to me.  Lots of people love the gears multiplayer, it is the #1 most played thing on Xbox live.  9 is a fair number because of the multiplayer plus, as I've said I've played through the co-op several times already.logicbombx

It wasnt only gamestop that gave the game great ratings.  GOW got 9s and 10s ACROSS the board.  You have to look HARD...i mean REALLY hard to find ONE site that gave the game below a 9.4 .   Go try to find one.  If you do, im sure its the only one you will find.  Im sick of these people who think its so cool to complain about GOW.  You dont like it?  Play something else!  The game got awesome reviews ALMOST UNANIMOUSLY from the ENTIRE PROFESSIONAL GAMING COMUNITY for a reason.  To all those people I say suck it up and move on with yor life.  You opinion will NEVER be so important to contradict the millions (yes millions, including people who play games for a living) of people who love this game.  Im sick of hearing it man I cant take it anymore. 

anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 anandram
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

I have figured it out there are always haters and people that love to complain about every fantastic game. Really the only people that dont like the multiplayer is those who get there as#e# handed to them because they suck. i hate when i lose a match it sucks the fun right out of it but if your good at the game yah love it. this game has taken too much of my life away but i still keep comin back. this game has the best multiplayer ever bare nonebleedingbunny

^ well put, you guys that create threads just to bash gears have probably just been butt bashed in MP and come to GS crying about it and start bashing on GOW. Its so obvious that those of you who are crap at gears....dont play it. There's nothing not to love about GOW and if you cant see that then you have some serious gaming issues. Its not hard to figure out why its the most played game online, but there will always be people who troll it just because they can, and will.

Im not referring to those, who see that GOW just isnt their cup of tea, thats fine IMO. But why create a thread about how rubbish the GS review was etc, noone cares and neither does GS. You dont like = you dont play. quite simple.

For whoever said that GS's review is the most important....errrrr.....no. Just like anyone else it is just one persons take on it, and cannot be deemed as 'law'. I thank GS for finding out all the nitty gritty on games when they arrive, however the review and gameplay aspect should be taken with a pinch of salt.....you'd be better off seeing what the overall user review opinions were, as it would give you a better viewpoint on the game.

GOW has my utmost respect due to 2 reasons.....its a great game -duh, and also its the game that brought me back to 360 gaming, for a while i was dormant playing the 360 because there wasnt really anything that hooked me up. GOW WAS and STILL is the game that i come back to from day 1 of release......and thats pretty fantastic and a great achievement to Epic....coming from a hardcore gamer. I thank you Epic and await more great titles.

CtrlShift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CtrlShift
Member since 2006 • 134 Posts
Never before in videogame history has shooting stuff been so much fun. GeOW's rating was dead on.
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts

why is it that people who complain about those who complain about GeoW say that they automatically suck?  i like the game... a lot actually, but to say that there are no flaws in the game can be thought of as ridiculous as saying that the game sucks hard. 

Immortal_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Immortal_Evil
Member since 2007 • 2004 Posts
I;ve thrown hours and hours into this game, value rating is perfect.
therapyhiccup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 therapyhiccup
Member since 2005 • 1800 Posts
it hasnt gotten old for me. but then i dont play geow dialy for long periods of time. i started playing through the campaign a few days ago and even though i've completed it on insane, i still wanna play. and multi player is fun regardless of the glitches and quitters
blue_tape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 blue_tape
Member since 2007 • 2868 Posts
The review was written up by Jeff Gerstmann, who I believe would marry online multiplayer games if he were somehow able. Multi-player is an ultimately shallow experience, which is probably why so many people rate it as a feature above single or co-op campaigns that strive to tell a meaningful story.