Gamespot a bit harsh?? - Lost Odessy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vicariouslyme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 vicariouslyme
Member since 2008 • 104 Posts
has gamespot been a bit harsh with the rating on lost odessy???
FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

No, that game got the score it deserved.

Why don't you read the entire review before posting?

Avatar image for Keitarourashima
Keitarourashima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Keitarourashima
Member since 2004 • 1422 Posts
Critics are meant to be harsh, and point out all the flaws in any game. Even with games u really love u wouldn't always set a perfect score for them right? Don't confuse ratings with enjoyment my friend.
LocalGod_TM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LocalGod_TM
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts
i dont think they were harsh... 7.5 is a good score for the game... its fun and all, like an oldschool ff, buit there is a lot of issues taht could have been smoothed out to make it perfect.
Anti-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Anti-Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts
[QUOTE="FearTheRain"]

vicariouslyme

why dont u stop being a dickhole n keep ur opinion to urself if ur gona be a mouth? i only asked n i asked people that have played the game not someone who goes by the review bawbag

Why don't you try acting like a 13 year old instead of a 12 year old? Btw, trying reading the review, kevin vanord say good things about the game, why don't you trying reading the review instead looking at numbers?

Edit: Lost odyssey is no doubt the worse jrpg i ever played with abunch of cliche characters. what is with kaim and his obnoxious, tough, heartless attitude? This game have humour but the humour weren't even funny. The villian is the obvious. The entire game was poorly done. Kaim should of been the only immortal in the entire game.
FFseries_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 FFseries_Fan
Member since 2006 • 1074 Posts

Gamespot & IGN Cant review Jrpgs..

/thread

look at kingdom hearts one and tew it got from 7.6 - 8.7 from IGN and gamespot

and its the best selling series in 21th century

soccerdude256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soccerdude256
Member since 2004 • 211 Posts

Matter of opinion people. Thats all it comes down too. I've only been playing the game for about 11hours (I think) and I'm probably about half way through the 2nd disc. I really love the game so far, hasn't gotten repetitive and I actually enjoy the puzzles in the game. I find myself more often than not immensed in the evolving plot and subplots and I really look forward to finding out how everything unravels.

I'll agree that picking the evil guy was easy, and I'm assuming that Kaim gives Gongora a taste of Justice in the end, but everything that happens between the start and the end is what makes the story. But hey, thats my opinion. One thing that you have to remember is that Gamespot is just portraying THEIR opinion on the game, and unfortunately alot of people consider these reviews to be like holy scripture.

Easy solution = PLay the game for yourself and form your own opinion :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a294b3b440e7
deactivated-5a294b3b440e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 deactivated-5a294b3b440e7
Member since 2004 • 858 Posts

Kane & Lynch

jmartin1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 jmartin1016
Member since 2003 • 1363 Posts
It's better than the number score indicates, if you like that kind of game. I agree. Hasen't left my disk tray for 2 1/2 weeks now.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

It's better than the number score indicates, if you like that kind of game. I agree. Hasen't left my disk tray for 2 1/2 weeks now.jmartin1016

I'm sure it has seeing how there are four discs. :P

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

FearTheRain

Yeah and after that how about you play the game? It was harsh. 8.5 at the worse. Long load times.. Riiiiiiiight.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
[QUOTE="vicariouslyme"][QUOTE="FearTheRain"]

Anti-Gamer

why dont u stop being a dickhole n keep ur opinion to urself if ur gona be a mouth? i only asked n i asked people that have played the game not someone who goes by the review bawbag

Why are you asking about people's opinion on the review if you don't care about reviews? Did you make a bet with someone that Lost Odyssey would be AAA? Yeah I think that's what you did. You made a bet with someone that Lost Odyssey would be AAA and now you need to be consoled by Internet men to prove some ridiculous point.

If you like the game then great, what the hell else does it matter?

smcg69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 smcg69
Member since 2005 • 352 Posts
Ive only played the 1st two hours of the game because it was only released here today. Going on 1st impressions I think that 7.5 is a bit low. I have to admit that I am a bit biased though. I love JRPG's, especially the final fantasy series and this is probably the closest thing I've seen to FF.
jmartin1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 jmartin1016
Member since 2003 • 1363 Posts

[QUOTE="jmartin1016"]It's better than the number score indicates, if you like that kind of game. I agree. Hasen't left my disk tray for 2 1/2 weeks now.sammyjenkis898

I'm sure it has seeing how there are four discs. :P

Nope still on disc one. 13 hours. I'm very thorough.

locoidontknow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 locoidontknow
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts
I would have given the game an 8.5, but saying that, you have to like this type of game. If Kevin didn't like this kind of game it would be a chore for him to play. So I could see someone who is not a fan of the genre scoring it low.
rawlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#17 rawlu
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts

I feel reviewers (not just gamespot) all underscored LO,JUST BECAUSE ITS TURN-BASED,IMO. & because of the TEST-DISC (or whatever?) they all used to review the game,that all had excessive loadtimes etc that the final retail versions dont.

why are they not RE-REVIEWING LO because of this? is what id like to know. their final ABSURDLY LOW score of 7.5 should not be just left their knowing full well that the defective disc's they used to review the game MUST OF reflected the final score.

LO deserves AT THE VERY LEAST an 8.5?,id give it ATLEAST a 9.0 myself because I LOVE TURN-BASED RPG'S/games & im LOVING LO! :-)

Nocturnal15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nocturnal15
Member since 2006 • 1476 Posts

Gamespot & IGN Cant review Jrpgs..

/thread

look at kingdom hearts one and tew it got from 7.6 - 8.7 from IGN and gamespot

and its the best selling series in 21th century

FFseries_Fan

Kingdom hearts? Best selling? The game was great no doubt about it, but there were alot of people who could care less about it as well as hate it. I played 1 & 2 to death and I must say its far from best selling.

Nocturnal15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nocturnal15

I feel reviewers (not just gamespot) all underscored LO,JUST BECAUSE ITS TURN-BASED,IMO. & because of the TEST-DISC (or whatever?) they all used to review the game,that all had excessive loadtimes etc that the final retail versions dont.

why are they not RE-REVIEWING LO because of this? is what id like to know. their final ABSURDLY LOW score of 7.5 should not be just left their knowing full well that the defective disc's they used to review the game MUST OF reflected the final score.

LO deserves AT THE VERY LEAST an 8.5?,id give it ATLEAST a 9.0 myself because I LOVE TURN-BASED RPG'S/games & im LOVING LO! :-)

rawlu

Its still an overall matter of opinion. You love any turn based RPG you get your hands on so you automatically recommend it. Not everyone loves turn based RPGs. Also there are people who play too much turn based RPGs that they could probably pick off everything wrong with the game that would warrant a score of 7.5. Quit stressing the score. What matters is that you enjoy it. If someone else doesnt than that's no sweat off your back and it shouldnt be.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Large_Soda

rawlu

So you're biased, surprise surprise. Does it really matter what score it got? The game is selling quite well and I doubt a review score is really going to push anyone over the edge to go play this game. You either love JRPGs or you hate them, an 8.5 instead of 7.5 isn't going to make anyone love them.

Nocturnal15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nocturnal15
Large_Soda made a great point. Gears Of War got great reviews EVERYWHERE and I passed up the game even though i like shooters.
rufnek69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rufnek69
Member since 2003 • 144 Posts

Love the LO. Awesome game, too much fun, involving story, fits the bill for a great jrpg on the 360 considering Blue Dragon was pure trash.

ikn3z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ikn3z
Member since 2003 • 586 Posts

Something I can't seem to understand.

Lost Odyssey is being bashed for the long load times, but it was the test disk. Actual load times are what is expected of a JRPG with random battles....score stays 7.5 with load times weighing it down.

Company of Heroes was RELEASED bugged up and major glitches all about. Awesome game, no doubt, but once the patch was released to fixed the issues, the score was raised to a 9. (Previously a...i forget, but not a 9)

I'd give the game an 8/10. It's fun, and when I play it, it's a blast, but it can't keep me for more than 1 hour, but that's 18 times i've sat down and played for an hour. Not bad considering my streak of playing games for 2 hours total.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

FearTheRain

I highly disagree. Why don't you PLAY the entire game before flaming?

andegelvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 andegelvil
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
well i dont know if the score was just but when i went to best buy and gamestop a week after its release they were both sold out, so i went to another gamestop in the area, all i'm saying is maybe people like playing games that are good and not just different
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
[QUOTE="rawlu"]

Large_Soda

So you're biased, surprise surprise. Does it really matter what score it got? The game is selling quite well and I doubt a review score is really going to push anyone over the edge to go play this game. You either love JRPGs or you hate them, an 8.5 instead of 7.5 isn't going to make anyone love them.

I don't think people have an issue with the score. I think they have an issue with why it got the score. Turn based combat and long load times. The long loads weren't in the release and criticizing a jrpg for having turn based combat is like criticizing gears for having gun fights. It is what it is. It's part of the genre.

But you're right about the love it or hate it. If people don't care for jrpgs they probably aren't going to like LO. But if people like games like FF or DQ then they will probably like LO. And it's getting really great word of mouth so that offsets the luke warm reviews. My personal feeling is that the reviewers missed the mark. But that's just me.

creebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 creebo
Member since 2004 • 79 Posts
At least he didn't go below the dreaded 6 score and get canned
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Large_Soda
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"][QUOTE="rawlu"]

brianpoetzel

I don't think people have an issue with the score. I think they have an issue with why it got the score. Turn based combat and long load times. The long loads weren't in the release and criticizing a jrpg for having turn based combat is like criticizing gears for having gun fights. It is what it is. It's part of the genre.

But you're right about the love it or hate it. If people don't care for jrpgs they probably aren't going to like LO. But if people like games like FF or DQ then they will probably like LO. And it's getting really great word of mouth so that offsets the luke warm reviews. My personal feeling is that the reviewers missed the mark. But that's just me.

I understand what you are saying, but I think that the reviewers are knocking the score down because they feel turn based games are "played out" in their eyes and while the game might be great to some, their general opinion is for the games to evolve or die.

I think that the amount of copies this game has sold is exactly what it would have been if the game was getting a 9.5 from every site. It already had those people sold from the second it was announced.

My ultimate point is not with this game, but the fact that there are constant threads featuring one persons opinion (typically a user), countering another persons opinion (a reviewer) and it is all for nothing. I just don't get why anyone would argue an opinion, you can have a different one, but trying to prove another one wrong, especially when claiming bias as the reason is plain idiotic.

soccerdude256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 soccerdude256
Member since 2004 • 211 Posts
[QUOTE="FearTheRain"]

Elann2008

I highly disagree. Why don't you PLAY the entire game before flaming?

*Claps* Touché! Good show old chap, way to tell him who's boss what? Haw haw haw haw haw :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
I think it deserved an 8 or 8.5 because it would take a long time to make that and you can tell the makers cared about the game, not just making a quick buck.
Avatar image for BunnyKillerKing
BunnyKillerKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BunnyKillerKing
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Gamespot reviews amount to nothing, they only post scores based on how much they get paid.
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
well a review is kind of meant to be harsh they point out the faults in the game
Avatar image for theonlyGAMESTER
theonlyGAMESTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 theonlyGAMESTER
Member since 2003 • 560 Posts

I think personal opinion prevails over the reviews in this game. If gamespot didn't care so much about innovation this game could have easily been in the 8.8-9.2 range.