Fixing lag for xbox live instructions (Sticky this)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crusher2002000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crusher2002000
Member since 2004 • 645 Posts

so u have been laggin really bad online? have u port forwarded ur router? here r instructions for anyone needing to port forward you router.

1. find your model number of your router (ex. mine is Dlink EBR-2310)

2. find your router on this list http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

3. click on xbox live 360 link

4. first make sure u have static ip on your 360 ( first paragraph there is a step by step guide on how to make one)

5. go back to the previous page and follow the steps to portforward your router

i personally did this and it fixed my lag. and before i couldn't voice chat with my friends it also fixed that.

ps. on p2p games u could still lag because ur running off of their connection. so if u still lag on p2p games (ex gears of war) that is y. also make sure u don't have multiple firewalls on ur computer (interfere with each other) and add xbox live on ur exception list for your firewall

LivingReceiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 LivingReceiver
Member since 2007 • 298 Posts
Thank you sir, will going through this process disconnect or reset my router?
crusher2002000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 crusher2002000
*BUMP*
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

so u have been laggin really bad online? have u port forwarded ur router? here r instructions for anyone needing to port forward you router.

2. find your router on this list http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

4. first make sure u have static ip on your 360 ( first paragraph there is a step by step guide on how to make one)

i personally did this and it fixed my lag. and before i couldn't voice chat with my friends it also fixed that.

ps. on p2p games u could still lag because ur running off of their connection. so if u still lag on p2p games (ex gears of war) that is y. also make sure u don't have multiple firewalls on ur computer (interfere with each other) and add xbox live on ur exception list for your firewall

crusher2002000

1. why are you running your connection thru your pc.

2. connect directly to the modem.

3. ALL that does is open up your NAT (network address translation) so that others can connect to you. having it on moderate or strict just means you wont be able to join and others wont be able to join you.

4. Port forwarding doesnt stop lag, just fixes your routing from a WAN connection to your LAN connection.

crusher2002000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 crusher2002000
[QUOTE="crusher2002000"]

darksusperia

3. ALL that does is open up your NAT (network address translation) so that others can connect to you. having it on moderate or strict just means you wont be able to join and others wont be able to join you.

4. Port forwarding doesnt stop lag, just fixes your routing from a WAN connection to your LAN connection.

1. because my pc is in a different room

2. if your pc is close yes that is what i would do but most ppl have their computer and 360 in different rooms

3,4. With less barriers between your network and other networks its quicker and more responsive. of course it won't fix lag 100 on p2p servers when other ppl could have restrictions on their connections

thronecth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thronecth
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts
I'm in agreeance with this guy as I'm very familiar with xbox 360 and networking with it. Lag is not going to be caused by having a strict NAT in most cases. It will keep you from voice chatting with people as you state, definately good of you to point out that port forwarding is available.
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
...or put the console in DMZ. Done.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darksusperia
[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="crusher2002000"]

crusher2002000

1. because my pc is in a different room

2. if your pc is close yes that is what i would do but most ppl have their computer and 360 in different rooms

3,4. With less barriers between your network and other networks its quicker and more responsive. of course it won't fix lag 100 on p2p servers when other ppl could have restrictions on their connections

1. you make no sense. " my pc & 360 are in different rooms so I connect to live thru my pc"...

2. Connect your 360 directly to the modem, dont run it thru your pc as that in itself can cause you lag.

3,4. you have no idea do you.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darksusperia
also, why is your pc, from my understanding of what youve said, handling your net connection? if your not on dialup, your modem should be handling the connection and acting as your network gateway for all pc's, ps3/360/wii etc.

connecting directly to the modem instead of routing through your pc and using it as a bridge will kill most of your lag internally for you.