This topic is locked from further discussion.

PigJiggin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 PigJiggin
Member since 2005 • 2238 Posts

I've been feeling a bit nostalgic recently and miss playing FF7 and FF8 on my PS1. I really want to play through a JRPG again but I can't decide between FF13 and LO. Does anyone have any recommendations between the two or advise getting a different JRPG for 360?

fatooosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 866

#2 fatooosh
Member since 2009 • 979 Posts

for me lo better

if you like classic turn based jrpg lo

try demo and youtube before buy

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

LO is way better.. it actually feels like a traditional JRPG

faheem_s_i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 faheem_s_i
Member since 2006 • 346 Posts
LO is much,much,much better.
jarvis008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 jarvis008
Member since 2008 • 518 Posts

Yeah LO is much better IMO.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Lost Odyssey feels much more like the Final Fantasy games of previous generations than Final Fantasy XIII. XIII feels like a Japanese developer that skipped focus testing and instead tried to figure out in house what an ADD western Modern Warfare audience might like, rather than simply making the types of games people have enjoyed for decades. They failed.

Blue Dragon is a decent traditional JRPG as well, and Tales of Vesperia is a lot of fun too. Some people would also recommend Eternal Sonata, but I would recommend you not do that to yourself.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I think what people are saying is that Lost Odyssey is turn-based, has a good story, and therefore is much more like the old FF games. Very fun and solid game. Having said, it seems like people are bashing that FF 13, which is dumb. It IS a great game and people that didn't like it were either too impatient or couldn't beat it.

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

Both great games. I'd recommend both as well as FF13-2.

However, if what you are looking for is something like the old FF games, I would get Lost Odyssey. Traditional turn-base rpg with a great story and characters.

qbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 qbell
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts
LO is old school ff aka awesome. ff13 lacks exploring and character, good game play though imo.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Lost Odyssey falls flat on it's face in gameplay and story. By no means is the combat BAD per-se... just incredibly boring. Lost Odyssey deserves God-like status for its method of developing its protagonist (Kaim) through use of multiple Dream Sequences in a collecition called "1000 Years of Dreams" or something to that effect. Game is worth playing just for those IMO. Moving, great stuff.

FFXIII is a much better game in my eyes though. Fast paced combat that feels sooo good. Typical JRPG characters, although they are made out to be a lot more "human" than in recent entries. The story there is great, but is told poorly and is hidden through a mess of encyclopedia entries. Dropped the ball there. Game gets major flak for its prolonged tutorial (Seriously, like 10 hours worth of a slow start) but once you get past that the game fires on all cylinders and it's a great ride.

I'd definitely recommend FFXIII over LO anyday.

HadronVulture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HadronVulture
Member since 2012 • 198 Posts
Lost Odyssey is definitely the game you should get over FF-13, LO has the feel of what a lot of the old FF games used to be like.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

For whatever reason I really started hating JRPG's this gen, used to love Final Fantasy and the like back in the day...

Anyway, the only JRPG I could get into at all this gen was Lost Odyseey, so you can take that for what it's worth, still couldn't finish it though.

gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts
Out of those two I've only played Final Fantasy XIII and I must say it is a good game if you are patient with it, on the other hand I've heard nothing but good things about Lost Odyssey.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#14 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Lost Odyssey, hands down.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#15 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5904 Posts

Lost Odyssey is the better game.

TheSkyPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheSkyPirate
Member since 2012 • 29 Posts
Tough decision since both titles have their own benefits and faults. Personally, I'd choose Lost Odyssey although I enjoyed both for separate reasons.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

Having said, it seems like people are bashing that FF 13, which is dumb. It IS a great game and people that didn't like it were either too impatient or couldn't beat it.

firefox59

Or, and this is a big or, it could have been because people were expecting Final Fantasy and what they got was the equivalent of a game that played itself, or a movie. It really that bad, but it wasn't what everyone considers Final Fantasy, again the reason people disliked it, and honestly this wasn't even close to being as good as previous ones. The story, characters, and gameplay weren't as good as others, and definitely not as good as Lost Odyssey.

What FF13 had going for it was visuals, presentation, a massive s*** ton of save points, a nearly automated combat system, and possibly the worst beginning in rpg history (because I love switching between every character in 5 minute intervals... it gets me more attached to them). You could also add the fact that it lacked exploration and freedom that others had, but that honestly didn't bother me all that much.

I had fun with FF13, but considerably less fun than previous FFs and certainly less fun with Lost Odyssey and I haven't even beaten Lost Odyssey, yet have beaten FF13. But then again I loved the stories, or memories, from Lost Odyssey and they are far better than the story of FF13.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

Having said, it seems like people are bashing that FF 13, which is dumb. It IS a great game and people that didn't like it were either too impatient or couldn't beat it.

Agent_Kaliaver

Or, and this is a big or, it could have been because people were expecting Final Fantasy and what they got was the equivalent of a game that played itself, or a movie. It really that bad, but it wasn't what everyone considers Final Fantasy, again the reason people disliked it, and honestly this wasn't even close to being as good as previous ones. The story, characters, and gameplay weren't as good as others, and definitely not as good as Lost Odyssey.

What FF13 had going for it was visuals, presentation, a massive s*** ton of save points, a nearly automated combat system, and possibly the worst beginning in rpg history (because I love switching between every character in 5 minute intervals... it gets me more attached to them). You could also add the fact that it lacked exploration and freedom that others had, but that honestly didn't bother me all that much.

I had fun with FF13, but considerably less fun than previous FFs and certainly less fun with Lost Odyssey and I haven't even beaten Lost Odyssey, yet have beaten FF13. But then again I loved the stories, or memories, from Lost Odyssey and they are far better than the story of FF13.

Ok, but again your saying you didn't like it cause it was different. *blank* forbid Square Enix for trying something different instead of making another FF game exactly like the others. That's why everyone is upset at Activision for COD and Ubisoft for AC. And if it didn't have the FF title people wouldn't have given it as much attention.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
LO was much better. Better world, characters, a lot of beautifully written stories about the main characters past.

It IS a great game and people that didn't like it were either too impatient or couldn't beat it.

Why wouldn't someone be able to beat FF13? Unless their A or X button breaks....
Mewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Mewi
Member since 2006 • 386 Posts

There are many RPGs for Xbox, why are these the only two the qualify ? lol

Just an FYI Final Fantasy series hasn't had a decent plot or well written story since FF6, although I'd like to put FF9 in there, but I havn't played it in so long I may want to recant that statement.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 firefox59
LO was much better. Better world, characters, a lot of beautifully written stories about the main characters past.

It IS a great game and people that didn't like it were either too impatient or couldn't beat it.Legolas_Katarn

Why wouldn't someone be able to beat FF13? Unless their A or X button breaks....

LOL. This coming from someone who has never played the game. The ignorance remains and perseveres.
_Doomsayer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 _Doomsayer_
Member since 2008 • 18616 Posts
Of the two, go with Lost Odyssey and skip Final Fantasy XIII entirely.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]LO was much better. Better world, characters, a lot of beautifully written stories about the main characters past.

It IS a great game and people that didn't like it were either too impatient or couldn't beat it.firefox59

LOL. This coming from someone who has never played the game. The ignorance remains and perseveres.

....Lost Odyssey, FF13, and FF 13-2 clearly show up in my list of completed owned/rented games or on my achievement/trophy list. As well as dozens of other RPGs. Why wouldn't I have played it

Lorindol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lorindol
Member since 2004 • 2589 Posts

I am going to say LO. I found it more enjoyable. FF13 had some cool things but didn't grab me as LO did.