Epic To Charge For New Gears of War Content -- Mark Rein, Epic Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SPHYNXA
Member since 2003 • 2944 Posts

Well this appears to be the final stance on the saga that is "Microsoft forcing Epic to charge for new content for Gears of War". Mark Rein, in a post over at the Gears of War Forums has just stated that they will be charging for the new Gears of War content, but that it will be done in the same fashion as the Halo 2 map pack. Meaning that you can either pay for the content, or wait a "few months" for it to become free.

"Epic thinks the way to maximize the return on Gears of War is to give the maps away for free and Microsoft thinks the way to maximize the return on Gears of War is to sell the maps. So what we've agreed to do is to put these maps on sale at a reasonable price then make them free a few months later. They did this with the original Halo2 map pack and it was a huge success. Lots of people bought the maps and lots of people downloaded them when they became free. That's what is going to happen and it seems like a fair compromise for both companies and a win-win for Gears players. --Mark Rein

Thoughts?

jet2892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 jet2892
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts

Well this appears to be the final stance on the saga that is "Microsoft forcing Epic to charge for new content for Gears of War".  Mark Rein, in a post over at the Gears of War Forums has just stated that they will be charging for the new Gears of War content, but that it will be done in the same fashion as the Halo 2 map pack.  Meaning that you can either pay for the content, or wait a "few months" for it to become free.

Thoughts? 

SPHYNXA
Kinda stupid, but w.e ill get it free later on
theoryc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 theoryc2
Member since 2004 • 3203 Posts
I hope its later content that will be charged and not this update were getting very shortly.
-Zaku-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Zaku-
Member since 2005 • 15425 Posts
Great job MS :roll: I guess they had a compromise. MS can charge for it now but after a set time, Epic gets their way and can have the content made free as intended. Yet people will still 'buy' the content which is only making moves like this in the future more common.
contaminated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 contaminated
Member since 2005 • 5373 Posts
depends cause mass effect is around the corner and if it goes out on schedule i think that can make me wait.
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SPHYNXA
I hope its later content that will be charged and not this update were getting very shortly. theoryc2
Apparently according to some of the posts on there Epic Games has had four new maps ready for months, but refused to release them due to Microsoft wanting there to be a fee. So I would guess that this is strictly for those maps, and that the Annex gametype will be included in the free update.
crazymunda6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 crazymunda6
Member since 2004 • 1389 Posts
M$ wins once again....When is it coming out then?
crazymunda6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 crazymunda6
Member since 2004 • 1389 Posts

My Bad Double Post  :(

goallie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 goallie
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts
I will have no problem waiting for the maps to go free, I haven't touched the games online in weeks.
SHARPSHOOTER25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 SHARPSHOOTER25
Member since 2005 • 343 Posts

As "evil" as you think this move might be, it makes the most sense.

Put yourself in the shoes of one of the top executives of the gaming division of Microsoft. You have a game, that has reached Halo-esque heights in popularity and critical acclaim, and the developers are ready to release more content for it. Being that GoW has sold so many millions of copies, you havea HUGE market just for the download content. With the accessibility of the marketplace, you have an easy to use distributer. You want more money as part of a corporation, and a business's goal is to...MAKE MONEY!

SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SPHYNXA

WTF is M$'s problem? They are a billion dollar corporation, they don't make the games, they have no right whatsoever to force epic to charge for maps. It's downright wrong. Way to make a bad relationship with one of your number one exclusive franchises.bolt2448

Here was Mark Rein's explanation:

"Why does Epic not have control over this even though we created this content on our own time and our own dime?  Quite frankly Xbox Live Marketplace isn't our store.  It's Microsoft's store.  Like any retailer they have the right to figure out what goes on the shelves of their store and what price they sell it at.  They spend the money to operate the store and deliver the conent.  They've also spent billions of dollars to create and build Xbox and subsidize it's the price so you can afford it and we can make games for it.  As our publisher, they also invested tens of millions of dollars marketing Gears of War, and have done an awesome job for us, so they have a right to a good return on that investment"

bolt2448

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bolt2448
Member since 2006 • 1152 Posts

[QUOTE="bolt2448"]WTF is M$'s problem? They are a billion dollar corporation, they don't make the games, they have no right whatsoever to force epic to charge for maps. It's downright wrong. Way to make a bad relationship with one of your number one exclusive franchises.SPHYNXA

Here was Mark Rein's explanation:

"Why does Epic not have control over this even though we created this content on our own time and our own dime? Quite frankly Xbox Live Marketplace isn't our store. It's Microsoft's store. Like any retailer they have the right to figure out what goes on the shelves of their store and what price they sell it at. They spend the money to operate the store and deliver the conent. They've also spent billions of dollars to create and build Xbox and subsidize it's the price so you can afford it and we can make games for it. As our publisher, they also invested tens of millions of dollars marketing Gears of War, and have done an awesome job for us, so they have a right to a good return on that investment"

ok... then i now see there reasoning and I agree with it. Depending on the cost, I may just wait.
unknown-phenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 unknown-phenom
Member since 2006 • 1807 Posts
Great job Microsoft. Money-hungry jerks.
ipath4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ipath4life
Member since 2006 • 1221 Posts
WTF is M$'s problem? They are a billion dollar corporation, they don't make the games, they have no right whatsoever to force epic to charge for maps. It's downright wrong. Way to make a bad relationship with one of your number one exclusive franchises.bolt2448
ummm....they kinda do have the right to make epic charge for the dlc because they developed Gears of War.Although, for a billion dollar corporation, they are rather cheap.
bolt2448

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bolt2448
Member since 2006 • 1152 Posts
[QUOTE="bolt2448"]WTF is M$'s problem? They are a billion dollar corporation, they don't make the games, they have no right whatsoever to force epic to charge for maps. It's downright wrong. Way to make a bad relationship with one of your number one exclusive franchises.ipath4life
ummm....they kinda do have the right to make epic charge for the dlc because they developed Gears of War.Although, for a billion dollar corporation, they are rather cheap.

look up a lil pal, i changed my opinion now that i understand microsoft's logic, i would do the same thing.
ipath4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ipath4life
Member since 2006 • 1221 Posts
[QUOTE="ipath4life"][QUOTE="bolt2448"]WTF is M$'s problem? They are a billion dollar corporation, they don't make the games, they have no right whatsoever to force epic to charge for maps. It's downright wrong. Way to make a bad relationship with one of your number one exclusive franchises.bolt2448

look up a lil pal, i changed my opinion now that i understand microsoft's logic, i would do the same thing.

i noticed you chaged your opinion, im not commenting on that.im just saying that they can tell epic to do whatever they want.
LuigiLogik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LuigiLogik
Member since 2005 • 1320 Posts
That seems fair.. as long as we don't have to wait too long for it to be free... anything longer then 2 months is too long
IXIAntiksIXI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 IXIAntiksIXI
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts
Ill pay for them but they better stop that glitching BS
RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 RebornInFlames
Member since 2006 • 1192 Posts
I don't mind paying even as long as it is 400 ms pts or less
did they say anything about what the maps are like?
s3lFc0nTr0l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 s3lFc0nTr0l
Member since 2006 • 3028 Posts
stupid M$ and their money
Cool-AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cool-AN
Member since 2005 • 7248 Posts
The price better be very low, if they expect me to pay for it.
VegetaJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 VegetaJr
Member since 2006 • 1437 Posts
So much for Microsoft's claims that it doesn't control pricing on XBL, because right there you have Mark Rein confirming it. I love the Xbox 360. It's a great system. I don't think I really care for Microsoft itself very much at all though. I'll wait for them to go free.
CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CooVee
Member since 2005 • 2161 Posts
Well I can wait I suppose. I would buy them but I need points and I lack a credit card or a convenient place to buy the cards from.
Sig12047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sig12047
Member since 2004 • 4194 Posts
Ugh...this is STILL going on? The update was delayed because of this. It's frustrating and I see where MS and Epic are both coming from, but why not give a little back to your loyal user base? Demanding that they charge for it isnt good for your  rep.
tumulisy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tumulisy
Member since 2007 • 435 Posts
ive never bought microsoft points and dont plan to
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SPHYNXA
Ugh...this is STILL going on? The update was delayed because of this. It's frustrating and I see where MS and Epic are both coming from, but why not give a little back to your loyal user base? Demanding that they charge for it isnt good for your rep.Sig12047
Well they did give those two first maps for free. Don't get me wrong though, I see what you're saying.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11935 Posts
This info is old, we all know this already.  It's free in a couple of months so we don't have to pay for it.
Rossdaboss777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rossdaboss777
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts
Not bad im hoping their like 5$
jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
Great job Microsoft. Money-hungry jerks.unknown-phenom
LOL, its a CORPORATION, that's what they do. Don't like it? Move to a communist country or something. This, like it or not, is capitalism at its finest.
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SPHYNXA
This info is old, we all know this already. It's free in a couple of months so we don't have to pay for it.gatsbythepig
Haha! Mark Rein made officially announced it today. But good try...
nickyb628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 nickyb628
Member since 2005 • 10303 Posts
I hope its later content that will be charged and not this update were getting very shortly. theoryc2
Me too, jerks.
fleasquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 fleasquire
Member since 2004 • 2001 Posts
I just hope they dont put out mediocre maps and charge to much like they did with COD.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gatsbythepig
[QUOTE="gatsbythepig"]This info is old, we all know this already. It's free in a couple of months so we don't have to pay for it.SPHYNXA

People have been talking about this for weeks and it was already assumed. It seems that you need someone to point out the obvious.
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SPHYNXA
[QUOTE="SPHYNXA"][QUOTE="gatsbythepig"]This info is old, we all know this already. It's free in a couple of months so we don't have to pay for it.gatsbythepig

People have been talking about this for weeks and it was already assumed. It seems that you need someone to point out the obvious.

Talking about it? Assumed? Yup... nothing like good 'ol romors to base your facts off of. Is that where you get yours, gatsbythepig? Epic announced it today, so that's pretty official.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gatsbythepig
If the talk and the assumptions were correct sphincta, then it is not speculation or rumor, it is fact.  Since Epic announced it, that only reconfirms what we already knew... but hey, thanks for playing.
VegetaJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 VegetaJr
Member since 2006 • 1437 Posts
Rumors, gatsby, are just that until someone who has some authority speaks on the matter, only now has this happened. It could have gone either way. Seriously guys, find something better to argue about.
HungryTanner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HungryTanner
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts
Ill probaly pay for the new maps when they come out instead of wait
perfect-dank-0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 perfect-dank-0
Member since 2006 • 284 Posts

Who cares I stopped playing gears after a couple of days and went back to pdz.

Gears is too simple and repetetive and tps suck.

Avatar image for DarkBalta_basic
DarkBalta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarkBalta_basic
Member since 2002 • 3861 Posts
I agree entirely that it makes sense, and I know it sounds ridiculous but i almost kinda feel for the gaming division at MS... They have spent alot of money and havent made i dont think anywhere near it back.. so its an easy way for them to make money... But i think the 'best' decision would be to do what theyre doing OR make it incredibly cheap. If it was 100-300 MS points id have no argument at all. If they made it something cheap like 100-150, theyd sell to tons of people, while like 400+ is gonna push alot off.
treyskillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 treyskillz
Member since 2006 • 1576 Posts

like I'm gonna buy the maps if they are going to be free later

I quess I won't return to Gears as soon as I thought

Rev2221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Rev2221
Member since 2003 • 369 Posts

ehh i'll take it.

not free at release but it will be free after a couple of months. not bad.

YoniKunda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 YoniKunda
Member since 2004 • 47 Posts
Just more proof that M$ has NO love for gamers. I bet Sony will have free maps for games like Resistance and Warhawk.
gruntkiller1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gruntkiller1
Member since 2006 • 144 Posts
Everyone just wait til it becomes free and they won't do this again