Elite or Halo Special Edition?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Garygok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 Garygok
Member since 2007 • 967 Posts
I'm seriously considering going out and buying an Xbox this week...Just kinda shoipping what is out there at the moment and was looking for some opinions on this. Biggest thing I can see is the difference in hard drive space. How quick will 20G get used up on a console? Also, are the Halo 3 ones pretty limited in supply? Anyn opinions on which way to go are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts
if u get a halo edition one.. theres a good chance u'll get th 360 with the new hardware, with the 65 nm cpu. so it runs cooler and quieter.. i got one of these consoles and it makes a huge difference
Garygok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Garygok
if u get a halo edition one.. theres a good chance u'll get th 360 with the new hardware, with the 65 nm cpu. so it runs cooler and quieter.. i got one of these consoles and it makes a huge differenceBishop1310
Awesome, that is good to know thank you. So not ALL Halo Editions have this new CPU? If not is there anyway to tell what you are gonna get? Anyone else with any tidbits to tip me one way or the other?
loky4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 loky4000
Member since 2007 • 300 Posts
If you get the Halo SE and it breaks down, chances are you will get it replaced with a standard premium.
craziac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 craziac
Member since 2003 • 51 Posts

This is annoying what MS did. YOu can't connect the component cables at the same time as HDMI since the AV connector is too fat and blocks the HDMI port. So no optical or analog out. But for some reason, they include an audio adapter with the Elite, that has a thinner connector that will work with the A/V port at the same time with HDMI, giving you what you want.

I mean I understand only the Elite coming with an "HDMI cable", but the audio adapter is essential to all HDMI 360s. And guess what, the only way to get that adapter is to buy from MS a 360 official HDMI cable for $50 freaking dollars. So much for buying an HDMI cable for $5 when you are forced to buy an overpriced one from MS just to get that adapter you need.

Otherwise, the only possible other option is to just connect HDMI to your tv, still set the 360 to Dolby Digital 5.1 through HDMI, then use the optical audio "out" on your tv to send that to the receiver.

I forget who said this

That's something I found in a post a little while back. Not sure if that's important to you or not. Also, I have like 70/120 GB free right now, and I've had mine for about 2 months. Now, if you're not gonna go out and DL every demo that comes out (like me :D), then it's probably not as big of an issue, but I figure that if I can get 50 free partial games, that saves me from having to purchase regular games. Especially ones like Crackdown and skate, where you can do just about everything in the demo.

jchaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jchaff
Member since 2007 • 1063 Posts

Elite for sure. The Halo edition is UGLY! Im not bashing the game, but they could have made the console look so much better! Its puke green and orange :( i was hoping it was going to look so much better!

But another look on things, with the Elite you get the extra HD for 50$ more, thats about the only difference your looking at, other than that they are the same console.

Im not for sure if the Halo edition has HDMI, but i know the Elite comes with the HDMI cables out of the box (which cost 50$ also)

grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 grayoldwolf
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
I'm a huge Halo fan, but to be perfectly honest I would get the Elite if I was buying one now.
Manoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Manoj
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

Halo 3 Special Edition doesn't have the 65nm CPU in it. The 65nm CPU version Xbox 360 will be released soon later this year. The Halo 3 Special Editions are just the Elite boxes with 20GB hard disk.

Garygok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Garygok

Halo 3 Special Edition doesn't have the 65nm CPU in it. The 65nm CPU version Xbox 360 will be released soon later this year. The Halo 3 Special Editions are just the Elite boxes with 20GB hard disk.

Manoj
I see this is good to know. Thanks for all the opinions everyone. More opinions still welcomed :) Also, is the 65nm CPU something that is worth waiting for in your guys' opinion? Is that the only difference in the new console to be released? Also, anyone know a date when this console is expected to be released? I figure it can't be THAT major if the Halo Edition just came out and people are buying it...
Stix_3200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Stix_3200
Member since 2003 • 174 Posts

This weekend I just purchased the Elite. I was going to get the the Halo Special Edition but it didn't come with halo3 (which I find odd), also your paying an extra 50 bucks for just a painted box and a wireless headset. Doesn't seem worth it so spend an extra 100 bucks (comparing prices to the Premium package) on the Elite and get the HDMI version with 120 gigs.

By the way I love the purchase, no remorse other then when I saw an article about at the end ofthis month MS is giving away free games (Forza2 and some Marvel game) with the purchase of the xbox360s. So unless you need your Halo fix now wait to get the free games...

I'm trying to currently find out if I can get the games for free since I just made this purchase.... Anyone who works at a game store know anything about this? sorry for going off topic of what your asking.

My Two Cents =)

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bishop1310

Manoj

umm no, extreamly wrong. heres the link.. they came out in the halo editon consols that were made i auguest..

http://gear.ign.com/articles/824/824183p1.html

So ya dont listen to this guy, and to check to see if u have the falcon chip read the manufacture date, and if u look in the back of ur 360 with a flsh light it will show a heatsink, and if u dont see a copper tube then u have the new chips, if there is a copper tube then u dont have the falcon chips. also if ur willing to wait maybe a month more, chances are you'll for sure get one with a falcon chip. i got one

Garygok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Garygok
Thanks again for all the info. I got the buying bug so bad now I jsut wanna go out and grab it but my undeciciveness is what is holding me back! It seems the Elite is the one Ill be going with (since Halo is not a huge deal to me) and it seems elite comes with stuff that makes it a better value in the long run... But then this Falcon chip raises a question. Are any of the Elites in circulation right now packing the falcon chip? Any more general info or opinions are surely welcomed :)
msdd9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#14 msdd9
Member since 2007 • 2957 Posts
I would say get an Elite, I've heard for quite a few ppl that the Halo edition has "issues" (meaning it dies and gets the RROD)
Mikedogg05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mikedogg05
Member since 2003 • 740 Posts
Everyone else has pretty much said what i would say. but if it really matters, the halo version comes with a play & charge, its sold seperatly if you buy a elite. I could be wrong though. I'm almost positive im right though.
ludadav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 ludadav
Member since 2005 • 1485 Posts
Go with the Elite version
Garygok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Garygok
K Im going with the Elite. Any way the Elites are packaged with the Falcon chip yet? or should I wait a bit? I've waited this long to get one, a bit longer won't hurt...
Manoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Manoj

Yes, Elite boxes with the 65nm CPUs will be available later this month.

Now wondering if the GPU will also release with the new die shrink. I heard around November time ATI will have the die shrink version out. Then it will be 100% save from RLOD.

For now 65nm doesn't get rid of the RLOD problem. Some guys with Halo3 version still are getting the RLOD.

perfection1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 perfection1000
Member since 2006 • 1205 Posts
OK, I am gonna go ahead and say that get a premium and ditch the other two. Why? Because the new premiums are basically the same as the Elite with 100GB of less space and come with all the other stuff like HDMI port etc. If space is going to an issue with you, by all means go ahead and get an Elite. Personally, when I download a demo, I only play through it once and then its gone. Usually demos these days are pathetically small (gameplay wise) and very huge (Size wise). Save the 100 bucks for Gears of War, Bioshock, Halo 3 or some future games.
Manoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Manoj

If you are confused, I suggest you to wait.

Halo 3 limited edition may have the 65nm chip but some guys are still getting RLOD.

I think it may be better to get the Elite with 65nm chips later this month. Better value for what you get. I got the Elite but it surely doesn't have the 65nm Chip but I will get another Elite when it releases with 65nm chip later this month.

Garygok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Garygok
Yea im going to wait a little bit too. My thinking is the Elites that ship with the new bundle later this month would likely have the new hardware. Could be wrong but makes sense to me.
TM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TM1
Member since 2004 • 7249 Posts

Manoj

Your wrong, it's been reported already that some of the Halo 360's have the new Falcon chips already. Theres an article about it on teamxbox.com

TM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TM1
Member since 2004 • 7249 Posts

Now wondering if the GPU will also release with the new die shrink. I heard around November time ATI will have the die shrink version out. Then it will be 100% save from RLOD.

For now 65nm doesn't get rid of the RLOD problem. Some guys with Halo3 version still are getting the RLOD.

Manoj

Not all Halo 3 360's have the 65nm chips. Only some do so just because there getting RROD doesn't mean there falcon chips. I work at Best Buy and the ones we have in stock do not have falcon chips in them. If there not part of lot 0734 then they won't have the new chips, if they are they do.

Garygok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Garygok
[QUOTE="Manoj"]

TM1

Not all Halo 3 360's have the 65nm chips. Only some do so just because there getting RROD doesn't mean there falcon chips. I work at Best Buy and the ones we have in stock do not have falcon chips in them. If there not part of lot 0734 then they won't have the new chips, if they are they do.

Hey since you work there maybe you can share with us layman how to read the lot number and date of manufacture on the box.
Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bishop1310
I have lot # 0731 and i have the falcon chip. or the new heatsinks that were supposed to come along with the falcon chip soo it cant only be lot 734
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I have an Elite and I love it.

Endgame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Endgame_basic
Member since 2002 • 950 Posts
I went with the Halo edition because you're sure to get the new heatsinks in it, if not the Falcon chipset for the cpu. I also really like the dark green. Looks much better in person than in pics.