Does the 360 make a good home theater system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Munkwunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Munkwunk
Member since 2002 • 825 Posts
I have long been interested in getting an Xbox 360 but have been unwilling to drop $300 on a gaming console lately, since I'm a student with limited income and even less time for gaming. However, with the release of the 360 Slim, I've become interested in the console again. Lately I've been researching the best way to condense my DVD library and play movie files from a portable hard drive via a media player of some sort, like the WD TV Live. So far, I'm looking at psending at least $300 to get everything I really want out of a media player, and since that's in line with the Xbox 360 Slim's price, I figured I might be able to get both the media player functionality I need and the gaming functionality I've long wanted in one package. But I do have a couple of questions about the 360's media playback capabilities, and I was wondering if anyone out there could answer a few of them for me. 1. What file formats is the 360 capable of playing? Specificaly, I ned the ability to play DivX/XviD, H.264, AVI, MKV, MP3, WMA, JPEG, and BMP files. Anything else would just be gravy. 2. Can the 360 Slim read portable hard drives that are attached via USB, or does it only read media from the internal drive? 3. Would the 360 Slim's built-in WiFi enable me to stream movies, music, or pictures directly from a networked PC? I am running Windows XP; does the option still apply, or would I need to upgrade to Vista or Windows 7? 4. How well does it play back stored video at 720p and 1080p? Is there a lot of stuttering, or is it smooth? I think those are the main questions I have. These are some of the biggest considerations I have when looking at media players, so if the 360 can do all of these things and do them well, I may very well have a new console on my hands (finally). Thanks for your help!
Zanwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Zanwolf
Member since 2005 • 76 Posts

As far as I know the new slimline will support streaming from XP, Vista and 7. As long as you have Windows Media Player etc then it will be fine.

Codec wise the 360 plays pretty much all files except for a few, mainly quicktime files, and some HD files, but with the slim they may have fixed this and added those codecs.

I don't have the slim, I've got the 360 original and I plug in my portable HDD via the USB ports and I can stream movies perfectly fine off of it.
Where your concerned about buffering rate for HD, like I said, if it's a different codec (which I've encountered before, i.e .ogg(?)) it may not play, but like I said, the slim may have added these to keep up with the ever expanding HD market. From what I've witnessed however, with 720p and 1080p files they run perfectly fine with no out-of-sync audio or picture (just make sure the file you've got plays fine on other systems as if is a problem, it's most likely the file).

Hope that helps you. :)

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SNESMaster420
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts

I like my 360 and my PS3 very much. However, lf I had to choose only one it would be the PS3 hands down. The included blu ray player is the main selling point for someone looking to make their console a home theater centerpiece. Otherwise there are pros and cons to both systems.

120GB PS3 = $299.00

250GB 360 = $299.00

Now, I would just do as much research as you can on both consoles and if you are not remotely interested in PS3 then sorry for this advice.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts

the xbox 360 can stream videos from xp using media playa or zune...it also supports avi, divx, mp4, m4v, mp4v, mov, wmv video playback and can read usb drives but needs to be in fat32

the 360 slim has a built-in wifi n so u'll be able to stream ur HD videos flawlessly

gbpackers94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gbpackers94
Member since 2008 • 685 Posts
Personally I think the PS3 would be better for home theater if not only because of blu ray.
brandon2802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 brandon2802
Member since 2004 • 1773 Posts
Sure you get the blu ray but can the PS3 play the different file types? The 360 also has the benefit of being able to sync up to your PC.
gbpackers94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gbpackers94
Member since 2008 • 685 Posts

Sure you get the blu ray but can the PS3 play the different file types? The 360 also has the benefit of being able to sync up to your PC.brandon2802

These are the file types ps3 can play. source

• Memory Stick Video Format
  • - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
  • - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
  • - MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
  • MP4 file format
  • - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
  • MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
  • MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
  • MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
  • MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
  • AVI
  • - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
  • - Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
  • AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
  • DivX
  • WMV
  • - VC-1(WMA Standard V2
Zanwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zanwolf
Member since 2005 • 76 Posts

I believe the PS3 can also now stream from a person's PC as well.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Both systems pretty much play the same files, and both systems can stream from a PC with Vista or Windows 7 nicely. The PS3 does have blu-ray, but honestly the 360 upconverts DVDs a lot better than the PS3 does so if you have a lot of newer DVDs they will look just as good as blu-rays. If you have a lot of older DVDs or a lot of blu-rays then the PS3 might be better.

Addressing the TCs original questions, the 360 will do everything you want it to. It will stream 720p, and 1080p just fine, although I will admit I don't have a lot of experience doing it with WiFi, since mine is hard wired, I would guess since the new 360 has wireless N it shouldn't be a problem though.

Munkwunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Munkwunk
Member since 2002 • 825 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone. I already have a standalone Blu-ray player, so that f unctionality isn't as important when choosing a console/media player. My BD player unfortunately doesn't allow for video playback frome xternal sources though, which is why I'm in need of something else now. I have a video library of about 350 titles (including TV shows and box sets which include multiple discs each). Only 10 of those are Blu-ray, and I continue to pick up cheap DVDs more often than cheap BDs (mostly due to the price differences). That being said, the tip about the 3660's superior upscaling weas very helpful, since it certainly is a priority to ahve good looking DVDs as well. I'm pretty well convinced that the 360 Slimw ill do what I want in a media center now. I appreciate everyone's feedback!
BaconB1ts123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 BaconB1ts123
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

I believe the PS3 can also now stream from a person's PC as well.

Zanwolf
I use both for media center stuff but I find the xbox better for streaming from a pc. I lose the connection a alot on the ps3. Other than that I think the PS3 is a better all around choice for media use especially with the blue ray playback. I have the original ps3 so it has the added bonus of the different media card inputs and the ps2 playback. I think both are a good choice and it really depends on the gaming side and what you prefer to play.
vp22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 vp22
Member since 2008 • 1443 Posts
Personally I think the PS3 would be better for home theater if not only because of blu ray.gbpackers94
this
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Well it depends. If you really have a nice theather with a good HD setup than no because of 1 thing no blu ray so the PS3 would be better for that. Now if you can live with dvd than yeah get it.