Do you care about gamespot reviews of xbox 360 games any more?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ahmed_009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 ahmed_009
Member since 2006 • 77 Posts
Do you care about gamespot reviews any more?
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
Not really i also don't like the new rating system its either a 9.5 or a 10 so its not very accurate so i now use ign because they have the rating system i like.
Jaforbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Jaforbe
Member since 2008 • 817 Posts
Yeah, i do. I listen to them about as much as anyone I guess.
perfectdefect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 perfectdefect
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts
eh sometimes... but usually they're like... really late to the party at giving out reviews.
IncipioAnima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IncipioAnima
Member since 2008 • 124 Posts

eh sometimes... but usually they're like... really late to the party at giving out reviews.perfectdefect

yah this

Alpha_Omega69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Alpha_Omega69
Member since 2004 • 11840 Posts
I always choose to go by the user score over the gamespot one. 1 opinion isn't always correct, while on the other hand if the games user score scores above a 8 with over 1000 users voted, you can't go wrong.
Avatar image for TaintedSaint666
TaintedSaint666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 TaintedSaint666
Member since 2007 • 400 Posts
Only to the reviewers whose name isn't Kevin VanOrd.
drunkenyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 drunkenyak
Member since 2008 • 165 Posts
I read/watch the reviews, but I don't rely on them to decide if i'm getting a game or not. I mainly watch them to see what they thought the pros and cons were. I look at the player scores and reviews if I need help deciding if i'm going to buy it or not. Then again with some games like FarCry 2, I'll be getting regardless of what anybody thinks. :D
Avatar image for JustWiicredible
JustWiicredible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JustWiicredible
Member since 2007 • 1908 Posts
Not anymore braid 9.5. Get outta town.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

yes i do people need to stop complaining because games like merc 2 and the force unleashed didnt score nines those games really arent good average at best now what i do agree with is the fact that GS isnt even reviewing the games anymore. 2 times now ive had to go to ign and read a review.

i thought they were supposed to review a game before it comes out now you have to wait until a month after

EvilAshTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EvilAshTwin
Member since 2008 • 690 Posts

Only to the reviewers whose name isn't Kevin VanOrd.TaintedSaint666

LMAO!! Im getting to that point with him too. Its getting frustrating to see him punish a game simply because he sucks at playing.

CardiacKid07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 CardiacKid07
Member since 2007 • 1225 Posts
TBH i dont really care what anyone rates a game. if i like it i like it and i dont care what other people think.
Xtix123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xtix123
Member since 2008 • 184 Posts

Well it was good untill that Kane and Lynch dead man's (worst game ever) review since it got a 6.0 (wish it was a 0, it sucks) and Jeff gerstman got fired by putting a 6.0 by that Horrible game Kane and Lynch game. Untill that Kane and Lynch review, Every good reviewers just left since he got fired and i was dissapointed that they all left thanks to Kane and Lynch. I mean remember the first week when Kane and Lynch came out, Their was over Hundreds, Hundreds, Hundreds of people bashing the Game and say that the game fire Jeff gerstman, Yeah Gamespot drop the ball when all the good reviers left. Anyway what about the reviews now? Im going to say that it's now has horrible Reviers now, I mean GTA 4 a 10? That game is so damn Overhype, Braid a 9.5? Forgetable game, are else Star wars the force Unleash a 7.5? OK game but now that good though, Yeah Reviers are now horrible nowadays and now just Forgetable now. Back to IGN reviews now but i respect Gamespot what they did the years but now their all just bad now. Again Im going back to IGN.

Sorry Gamespot but now your just have Forgetable Revies now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rated R Superstar Edge is the best in WWE

Xtix123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Xtix123
Member since 2008 • 184 Posts

Well it was good untill that Kane and Lynch dead man's (worst game ever) review since it got a 6.0 (wish it was a 0, it sucks) and Jeff gerstman got fired by putting a 6.0 by that Horrible game Kane and Lynch game. Untill that Kane and Lynch review, Every good reviewers just left since he got fired and i was dissapointed that they all left thanks to Kane and Lynch. I mean remember the first week when Kane and Lynch came out, Their was over Hundreds, Hundreds, Hundreds of people bashing the Game and say that the game fire Jeff gerstman, Yeah Gamespot drop the ball when all the good reviers left. Anyway what about the reviews now? Im going to say that it's now has horrible Reviers now, I mean GTA 4 a 10? That game is so damn Overhype, Braid a 9.5? Forgetable game, are else Star wars the force Unleash a 7.5? OK game but now that good though, Yeah Reviers are now horrible nowadays and now just Forgetable now. Back to IGN reviews now but i respect Gamespot what they did the years but now their all just bad now. Again Im going back to IGN.

Sorry Gamespot but now your just have Forgetable Revies now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xtix123

Star wars force unleash? OK game but not that good though, Sorry about that

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dexz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dexz
Member since 2003 • 94 Posts

I kind of care..

I usually check out IGN and a few other swedish game sites so they are pretty much the same. Then I try to get my hands on a demo or a coupple of good gameplay movies and then I decide if the game is worth it.

Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hawkeye747
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts

Ditto... well, none of them really... but particularly him.

axxez94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 axxez94
Member since 2007 • 275 Posts
time to time they always makes cheap reviews :p
ahmed_009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ahmed_009
Member since 2006 • 77 Posts

Yeah.I totally agree with you

jstarzyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 jstarzyk
Member since 2004 • 3507 Posts
Ever since the Kane and Lynch debacle, I've discounted every bit of journalism on this site.
agentluap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 agentluap
Member since 2005 • 2254 Posts
No I dont use the actual GS reviews but I use the user reviews to help me make my choices if I'm stuck
EvilAshTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EvilAshTwin
Someone explain the Kane/Lynch thing. I remember some sort of drama that followed but I didnt really pay too much attention to it.
JJpenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 JJpenguin
Member since 2006 • 955 Posts

Someone explain the Kane/Lynch thing. I remember some sort of drama that followed but I didnt really pay too much attention to it. EvilAshTwin

Jeff Gerstmann gives K&L 6/10, subsequently is fired. His video review is taken down, he says 'Gamespot's let [him] down' the says that he thinks they accepted bribes on his website (Giantbomb) Meanwhile loads of journalists leave GS, and all the while we use the fact that GS was plastered with K&L adverts to conclude that GS SUCKS

Peter_Cheek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 Peter_Cheek
Member since 2007 • 640 Posts
Yes but I take it with a huge grain of salt.Like a salt lick sized grain.
RatherUnsavory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RatherUnsavory
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Be wary of the scores, so just skip to the good and bad section they usually get those right. And, look other reviews to look for trends to try and figure out whether or not you will like the game. Regardless of whether or not it gets a nine....
Avatar image for Richmaester6907
Richmaester6907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 Richmaester6907
Member since 2007 • 1969 Posts
Ever since they gave GTA IV a 10 when the game isnt exactly perfect since it has less than the older games did besides the good stories. But thats when I realise how easy it is for the reviewers to go all fan boy when it should be an un biased review GTA IV should be a 9.0
Xayanami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Xayanami
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

All gaming websites have different opinions of games, gamespot tends to go a little easy on games they should grill a little harder. My real problem with gamespot is that lately they've been really late with reviews. NHL 09 was out for over a week before it got reviewed same thing with Armored Core and Silent Hill, these are really popular franchises with a big following.. i cant blame gamespot for getting a game late or not at all from a publisher but i'll go to ign and read/watch a review while gamespot is waiting for mail.

gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts

i don´t always agree with it like gta4 and mgs4 getting a 10 and why not gow1 and halo3 as well?

cause of the game´s past? mgs sucks in online and gta4 is cool but small wtf

KA12NAG3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KA12NAG3
Member since 2008 • 662 Posts

I kind of care..

I usually check out IGN and a few other swedish game sites so they are pretty much the same. Then I try to get my hands on a demo or a coupple of good gameplay movies and then I decide if the game is worth it.

Dexz

I agree. They also need to review the games either before the game comes out (like IGN) or the day it comes out, instead of days (or weeks) later.

cronew1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cronew1
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts

the reviews come out way too late. Ive seen games get their review 2 weeks after their release date. Also they seem to be too easy on big name titles like GTA and harder on the hardcore titles.

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
yes there fair unless there rpgs i dont care
EvilAshTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 EvilAshTwin
Jeff Gerstmann gives K&L 6/10, subsequently is fired. His video review is taken down, he says 'Gamespot's let [him] down' the says that he thinks they accepted bribes on his website (Giantbomb) Meanwhile loads of journalists leave GS, and all the while we use the fact that GS was plastered with K&L adverts to conclude that GS SUCKS

JJpenguin

But didnt K&L suck? So essenially he was fired for giving a bad game a bad review (in other words, he was just doing his job).

zeppelin_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 zeppelin_64
Member since 2006 • 3924 Posts
Not really i also don't like the new rating system its either a 9.5 or a 10 so its not very accurate so i now use ign because they have the rating system i like.TX360
I agree it's not accurate enough anymore since they changed the rating system. And to the question, I don't care about reviews anymore period. Mercs 2 with a 5? Fracture looks good I think I'm gonna buy it, and it has a 6. That's messed up.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts

Some what. Not fully, but it does influence my purchases at times.

mankeyador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mankeyador
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts
I use teamxbox they are the most accurate. IGN is good but they now only give tens if a game blows them out of the water on all fronts:graphics, sound, etc. with their tens it always is an actual average of their score. team xbox's scores are'nt.
Avatar image for AtomicBaconBits
AtomicBaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AtomicBaconBits
Member since 2006 • 8855 Posts

No.I used to...untill GS downgraded their review system,and most of all the great reviewers left,or got fired.

I'm keen on IGN's reviews now.

50dollaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 50dollaz
Member since 2006 • 157 Posts
well, to be honest, i'm not sure because after that 10points to both gta iv and mgs 4 i don't know what to think. a 9 or 9.5 would have been better but 10 of 10 is just TOO MUCHHHH!!!!
BlueTimber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BlueTimber
Member since 2004 • 722 Posts

All I pay attention to is the review, not the score.

BlueTimber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BlueTimber
Member since 2004 • 722 Posts

All I pay attention to is the review, not the score.

Syrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Syrenz
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts
I read them but it's mostly user reviews I pay attention to...
iareconfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 iareconfuse
Member since 2007 • 194 Posts

Not after watching the Star Wars: TFU video review and listening to the guy speak about the broken game mechanics which in reality, the reviewer just absolutely failed to realize how to properly play the game, or complaining about how you have to constantly control the camera, etc.

Potential Spoiler below:

The part of this review that bothered me the most was this particular part in mentioning the star destroyer takedown scene. "but due to a broken feedback system--which purports to show you how to maneuver the analog sticks but does nothing of the sort"

The reviewer obviously fails to realize what the game was trying to get you to do. For any of you that have actually played TFU, and know how to play it properly, you'll know that this is one of the easiest parts of the game, so long as you're not an idiot and know what you're trying to do.

Mcderby4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mcderby4
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts
Only to games I like or know I am going to play.
ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts
Yes, I listen to anyone's opinion on a game. It doesn't mean I take it as truth. I generally look at gamespot, ign, and 1up and get a basic idea about a game. More than that I talk to friends that have played it though.
EvilAshTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 EvilAshTwin

Not after watching the Star Wars: TFU video review and listening to the guy speak about the broken game mechanics which in reality, the reviewer just absolutely failed to realize how to properly play the game, or complaining about how you have to constantly control the camera, etc.

Potential Spoiler below:

The part of this review that bothered me the most was this particular part in mentioning the star destroyer takedown scene. "but due to a broken feedback system--which purports to show you how to maneuver the analog sticks but does nothing of the sort"

The reviewer obviously fails to realize what the game was trying to get you to do. For any of you that have actually played TFU, and know how to play it properly, you'll know that this is one of the easiest parts of the game, so long as you're not an idiot and know what you're trying to do.

iareconfuse

My favorite was when he complained about how the horrible auto target made certain tasks almost impossible. Tasks such as repositioning the amplification rings in the last level. I got to that area and did not suffer any of the autotarget break down that he mention. My guess is he was trying to target the rings in stead of the glowing center piece. The only time the auto target failed for me was when there was either a ton of tiny pieces of something on the ground or when I was facing one way with the camera facing the other.

Speaking of the camera, the only time I had to constantly readjust it was when I was trying to run into the camera like in the Bull Rancor fight. Other than that I found the camera to be very forgiving and rarely ever needed to adjust it or fight with it.

iareconfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 iareconfuse
My favorite was when he complained about how the horrible auto target made certain tasks almost impossible. Tasks such as repositioning the amplification rings in the last level. I got to that area and did not suffer any of the autotarget break down that he mention. My guess is he was trying to target the rings in stead of the glowing center piece. The only time the auto target failed for me was when there was either a ton of tiny pieces of something on the ground or when I was facing one way with the camera facing the other.

Speaking of the camera, the only time I had to constantly readjust it was when I was trying to run into the camera like in the Bull Rancor fight. Other than that I found the camera to be very forgiving and rarely ever needed to adjust it or fight with it.

EvilAshTwin

I didn't even use the auto target once in the game. I'm normally an FPS player, so I have no trouble controlling the camera with the right joystick. All you have to do is flick the joystick in the direction you want your guy to attack in, its really not that difficult, which is why it bothered me so much that the reviewer picked on the game so much only because he was too incompetent to play it properly.

EvilAshTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 EvilAshTwin

I didn't even use the auto target once in the game. I'm normally an FPS player, so I have no trouble controlling the camera with the right joystick. All you have to do is flick the joystick in the direction you want your guy to attack in, its really not that difficult, which is why it bothered me so much that the reviewer picked on the game so much only because he was too incompetent to play it properly.

iareconfuse

I think youre getting the auto target confused with the lock on. The auto target is what directs your force attacks at an enemy and lets you know what you can pick up using Force Grip, the only time I would actually lock on to an enemy is when I wanted to use the midair dash attack. Really useful for getting those hard to reach sniper points.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
Kind of. If it states the glitches or if there's none i like reading about that. I barely care about the score because i disagree with most reviewers but it's all just opinion.
iareconfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 iareconfuse

I think youre getting the auto target confused with the lock on. The auto target is what directs your force attacks at an enemy and lets you know what you can pick up using Force Grip, the only time I would actually lock on to an enemy is when I wanted to use the midair dash attack. Really useful for getting those hard to reach sniper points.
EvilAshTwin

Oh, I completely forgot that there was the auto target. I guess the auto target can be a little bit annoying at times, but its not really anything to complain about that ruins the game, it just means you've got to throw more junk around :D

bmsaareagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#50 bmsaareagles
Member since 2007 • 967 Posts
it depends, they are pretty good at getting the point across. They may gave a game a bad score, but they still give all the good and bad things about it.