Do you believe 360 needs internal blu-ray for gaming?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dc1155346926
deactivated-5dc1155346926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5dc1155346926
Member since 2007 • 912 Posts

Ok... I'm sure we all have seen this coming sooner or later. One format had to lose. BUT, when it comes to the 360... gaming is more important than multimedia things such as watching movies and things like that. So, do you guys believe in "blu-ray" allowing better graphics? I don't and I think it's a whole bunch of hype. I mean 360 games have better AA and lighting on DVDs as of now... I DO NOT expect to see an blu-ray equipped 360.... because it doesn't improve GAMING. They can not do that because there are sooooo many people that have 360s... they will lose more $ than what they could make off of such a move. What do you think?

>>>this edit is for everyone who keeps being confused. YES I know that more storage DOES NOT = BETTER GRAPHICS. Just wanted to put that out there. I know and understand that the graphics card determines graphics.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Guys, try keep this one away from SW stuff, k?

As for the original question(s). No, I don't think so. 360 is entering its third year, it's probably past now the halfway point of its life, and it is quite evident that Microsoft made a decision way before launch on 2005 regarding storage media. They'll end with regular DVD, and their next system, whatever that is, will probably sport BluRay (or whatever media format is currently reigning) internal drives.

Those issues you mention about better graphical capabilities have little to no relation with media storage, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6074966979cf5
deactivated-6074966979cf5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6074966979cf5
Member since 2005 • 185 Posts

Blu-Ray certainly has the potential to be used to make games that you could not do on a DVD due to the simple fact that it has so much storage capacity. I think most developers simply can't or won't make a game that can take advantage of the large amount of space, due to the large amount of time and money that would have to be invested into development. Instead all the extra space is spent on trivial things like lossless TrueHD Audio.

Having said that, no, I don't think the 360 needs Blu-Ray for internal gaming. Even if it did need it, we would never see it--not for gaming. Microsoft wouldn't be stupid enough to alienate the 18 million people that they have already sold consoles to. However, I think we may see it in the next Xbox.

Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Taijiquan
Member since 2002 • 7431 Posts
Does Microsoft need Blu Ray? No. It would help to have it though for obvious reason not related to gaming.
Wildhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wildhang
Member since 2003 • 156 Posts

Its not just about gaming but a Consumer choice for those BLU RAY movie buffs. I only care about games. I am not a movie fan so BLU RAY has little to offer me. But I think for those who are buying or thinking of buying the PS3 for BLU RAY could have options now depending on Microsofts decision. If Microsoft can offer a XBOX360 with BLU RAY capabilities and able to play standard 360 games with the same load speed, could be a very smart move. I know there are several sku's for XBOX360 systems but at least there would be a choice for everybody. An add on would be clumsy since the format war is over.

edwise18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 edwise18
Member since 2008 • 1533 Posts
NO. blu ray doesn't have anything to do with better graphics. It's no different than a dvd. It just has more space. It's just a storage medium. If they do add a blu ray player it will just be for movies, and most likely be external. As for their next system who knows. But it will most likely use blu ray.
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts
if they launch another version of xbox 360 with BR what its going to happend with the games ? they gonna start making games on br disk? is that so... thats going to affect everyone that already have an xbox 360 with dvd drive. i hope thats not going to happend >.>.
Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#9 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts
they most likely won't do an internal blu ray 360, if they do an external one I'll buy it since it'll be cheaper than any other blu ray player.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
no, i don't think 360 needs a lbue ray. hd dvd and blue ray were just dvds with hd content on them ps3 and 360 r already hd ready.
rocketman001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 rocketman001
Member since 2007 • 874 Posts
No I don't think so
club-sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 club-sandwich
Member since 2007 • 8399 Posts
no it doesn't need it, but the next Xbox sure will.
Demeritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Demeritus
Member since 2008 • 269 Posts
doesnt need it, perhaps on the console they are working on now they may do blu ray but as for 360 i dont expect to see a built in blu ray reader at most, an add on in the way the hd-dvd one was done, i think 360 does fine for itself on a dvd and the games are solid as is
edwise18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 edwise18
Member since 2008 • 1533 Posts
hd dvd and blue ray were just dvds with hd content on them.iam2green
Yes. Hd dvd and blu ray are just dvd's with more space, that's it. it's just a storage medium.
bleedblue_gsl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bleedblue_gsl
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts
yes if they dont want 2 get merked by p$3
HairyBeast87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 HairyBeast87
Member since 2008 • 97 Posts
well, they already screwed over the people who purchased HD DVD. i think it would be wrong to put blu-ray in the 360. unless it was a seperate add-on that only played movies. if it was used for games, they basically screwed over everyone who purchased the system.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5dc1155346926

As for the original question(s). No, I don't think so. 360 is entering its third year, it's probably past now the halfway point of its life, and it is quite evident that Microsoft made a decision way before launch on 2005 regarding storage media. They'll end with regular DVD, and their next system, whatever that is, will probably sport BluRay (or whatever media format is currently reigning) internal drives.

Those issues you mention about better graphical capabilities have little to no relation with media storage, though.

SteelAttack

I agree with you totally, sorry if I sounded confusing or something but I didn't mean that I think blu-ray=better graphics. That's just what has been perceived by others. I understand that more space doesn't mean better graphics. The graphics card is what determines that. Also, thanks for not locking this... it definitely isn't a system wars post. I mean, I own both consoles and love them both.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts

I've heard that some high-profile game developers have voiced their concerns about DVD-9 not being big enough to deliver some next-gen games on. So, it begs the question: Why should Microsoft (or the development community) settle for 8-9 GB when they could have 50 on Blu-ray?

With the 'death' of HD-DVD Microsoft can't claim to be a player in the high-definition arena without it (Blu-ray). Like it or not, they need to be on the Blu-ray band-wagon or they will be left behind...

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
it would help if they released a stand alone Blueray add on, but it isnt that important.
Avatar image for Twisted-Ice-God
Twisted-Ice-God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Twisted-Ice-God
Member since 2008 • 755 Posts
this thread is just pointless dribble since the basis is flawed... bluray doesnt make for better graphics, it won the war because of its size, bigger size means longer before they have to move on to next technology.... the gpu is what does the graphics and 360 has a wonderful gpu, an external blu ray is unlikley since sony owns blu ray and that takes away from them...
brujagio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 brujagio
Member since 2004 • 1372 Posts

this thread is just pointless dribble since the basis is flawed... bluray doesnt make for better graphics, it won the war because of its size, bigger size means longer before they have to move on to next technology.... the gpu is what does the graphics and 360 has a wonderful gpu, an external blu ray is unlikley since sony owns blu ray and that takes away from them...Twisted-Ice-God

Uh.. correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure more disc space makes room for better/improved graphics (among other things). Also, just because Sony owns blu-ray, doesn't mean Microsoft couldn't profit of an external BR player.

myLIFEjustFINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 myLIFEjustFINE
Member since 2007 • 132 Posts

until i see a game as good as bioshock or masseffect that couldnt be done with whats being used now...no its not needed.

isnt the only reason MGS is needing it is due to the lack of compressing audio bits between cut scenes or w.e?

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#23 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

who said it would be for games , thatll render my 2 360s useless if they do that , so to do that they must give those who bought the others 360s how ever many they own for free and lose more money, ms confirmed they had no plans to do so

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#24 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
well brgujagio ,, that isnt neccisarly the case now is it,, compare perfect dark to pd0 a n64 game cart holds less then current formats ,, so ya,, more wasted space is all im getting at
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

For alot of games, the biggest storage space user is sound, becuase with the current gen, unless a game uses alot of streaming, avaliable memory is going to limit the size of textures, and hence how much space they are going to use.

Plus, most people can't really tell the difference between uncompressed and compressed audio which is of sufficent quality, sort of like most people can't tell the difference between a compressed HD TV stream, and a direct HD stream (such as what the 360 produces).

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
no it doesn't
ZodiacVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ZodiacVII
Member since 2003 • 73 Posts

There is no need for BluRay discs on the 360, period. Everything can be compressed into the space that DVD9 offers, which has been and will continue to be done. The 360 has enough memory to allow for fast uncompression of data, combined with the faster read-spead of DVD9 for streaming, to not even think of needing BluRay for a storage medium.

BluRay doesn't offer any benefit for gaming on this system, and the only reason it is beneficial for the PS3 is due to the fact that it's memory cannot support as much uncompression going on while also computing tasks demanded by the software, also in conjunction with the slow read-spead of BluRay for steaming data. The PS3 was designed around BluRay as it's storage medium, hence it requires it to operate (due to the reasons listed above), whereas the 360 was designed around DVD9, and can perform the tasks required of it's software quite easily without the need for more capacity.

Will the 360 ever need more storage than is already offered for it's software in it's lifespan? Very doubtful. As for those whom will point towards Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon and disagree, we are looking at many minutes, perhaps even extending into an hour, of prerendered highdefinition cinematics, which are massive hogs in terms of how much memory they take up on their storage medium. Sakaguchi has always used prerendered cinematics in his games and probably always will, however this is not necissary, especially when you consider how life-like in-game visuals are becoming. This is his art style, and changing discs as you progress hardly comes as a fault to the system or the creator of the software, and DVD9 limits are definitely not making games like Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon worse or being put on the chopping board for content when in this context.

Sorry BluRay, you will be needed next-generation (more than likely), however for the 360 in this current generation for gaming, you just don't have a place.

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
the only games on multiple DVDs (which I know of) are Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon...both of which have a lot of rendered cut-scenes... Full motion video takes a lot more memory than video game data.... as long as video game creators use in-game cut scenes, then Blu-ray is definitely not necessary this gen...
---n00b_kid---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ---n00b_kid---
Member since 2007 • 803 Posts

I voted naa.

If MS makes a 360 console with an internal bluray drive then it would alienate the existing owners and it wouldn't be fair on us the consumer.

Gears 3 has to be on DVD9 otherwise how many people are going to pay for a 360 console with an internal bluray drive ?

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 a55a55inx

[QUOTE="Twisted-Ice-God"]this thread is just pointless dribble since the basis is flawed... bluray doesnt make for better graphics, it won the war because of its size, bigger size means longer before they have to move on to next technology.... the gpu is what does the graphics and 360 has a wonderful gpu, an external blu ray is unlikley since sony owns blu ray and that takes away from them...brujagio

Uh.. correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure more disc space makes room for better/improved graphics (among other things). Also, just because Sony owns blu-ray, doesn't mean Microsoft couldn't profit of an external BR player.

yeah, more storage would be needed for more graphics/physics simulations, however, as of now, it's not needed... if i'm not mistakin' Crysis is even on 1 DVD9...

ZodiacVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ZodiacVII
[QUOTE="brujagio"]

[QUOTE="Twisted-Ice-God"]this thread is just pointless dribble since the basis is flawed... bluray doesnt make for better graphics, it won the war because of its size, bigger size means longer before they have to move on to next technology.... the gpu is what does the graphics and 360 has a wonderful gpu, an external blu ray is unlikley since sony owns blu ray and that takes away from them...a55a55inx

yeah, more storage would be needed for more graphics/physics simulations, however, as of now, it's not needed... if i'm not mistakin' Crysis is even on 1 DVD9...

How much space do you people honestly think is required for compressed textures, mapping, etcetera? BluRay makes graphics better, are you kidding me? GPU architecture is what makes better graphics due to the fact that more computing can be done at any given time to meet the demands of the software. Storage medium does not and never will mean "better"graphics in this generation.

As for Crysis, yes, it is stored on DVD9. When installed, however, it takes up 12GB of space. Does this mean that on a console (assuming consoles had enough horsepower to run Crysis at its high graphical settings) Crysis wouldn't be able to run unless stored on BluRay? Of course not; why? Compression, data streaming, etcetera; the same techniques being used currently to make games that are larger than 9GB work on DVD9. Let's give an example, Gears of War for PC requires 12GB of space for installation, however it only takes up 6.43GB of space on DVD9 due to, you guessed it, compression.

When will people stop the misconception? BluRay is not required for gaming in this generation, and never will be on the 360.

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

How much space do you people honestly think is required for compressed textures, mapping, etcetera? BluRay makes graphics better, are you kidding me? GPU architecture is what makes better graphics due to the fact that more computing can be done at any given time to meet the demands of the software. Storage medium does not and never will mean "better"graphics in this generation.

As for Crysis, yes, it is stored on DVD9. When installed, however, it takes up 12GB of space. Does this mean that on a console (assuming consoles had enough horsepower to run Crysis at its high graphical settings) Crysis wouldn't be able to run unless stored on BluRay? Of course not; why? Compression, data streaming, etcetera; the same techniques being used currently to make games that are larger than 9GB work on DVD9. Let's give an example, Gears of War for PC requires 12GB of space for installation, however it only takes up 6.43GB of space on DVD9 due to, you guessed it, compression.

When will people stop the misconception? BluRay is not required for gaming in this generation, and never will be on the 360.

ZodiacVII

Crysis actually only takes up 7.25 gig once fully installed, the 12 or so gig is only required during installation for temp files and the like.

But the only problem is that you can't further compress textures without losing quality, and the quality shift can be quite noticeable. So hence, higher storage capacity does mean the ability to have higher quality textures, but the only problem with that is video cards have a fixed amount of texture memory, which does limit the highest quality that you can have textures at.

bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts
It hasn't needed it in two and a half years. So my guess is no, it does not need blu-ray at all for anything.
ZodiacVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ZodiacVII

G012M: You are right about the 7GB of space, I don't have Crysis installed anymore and forgot the amount of space it actually took up and so decided to look up the storage requirements for installation, silly me. However, this only further pushes my point to those whom are confused on this issue.

I do agree with you about compression and loss of quality, however as you also stated, the GPU is where our limitations are for texture quality. At this point in our current generation however, I do not believe we will ever need more space due to the limitations current GPU's offer, since texture quality will always be contained by such limitations. People also forget about other tools like dynamic lighting engines and various mapping techniques that lend a lot to visual style and quality which will not require a larger storage medium. Do you not agree?

Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts
I would assume that you can put 2 lasers inside the machine to read old discs and bluray. Just a thought? Im getting to the point where I dont care. Im about to play one of my other 16 consoles and get away from all this c.r.a.p we call NEXTGEN.
fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
This would be such a stupid move it would completely ruin the 360 what would happen to all those who have already bought a 360 would they have to buy an add-on just to play the newer games i have to be honest i seriously can't think of a more stupid idea.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5dc1155346926

this thread is just pointless dribble since the basis is flawed... bluray doesnt make for better graphics, it won the war because of its size, bigger size means longer before they have to move on to next technology.... the gpu is what does the graphics and 360 has a wonderful gpu, an external blu ray is unlikley since sony owns blu ray and that takes away from them...Twisted-Ice-God

I never said that blu-ray or more storage=better graphics. I know it doesn't... I said "it was perceived by others". Sorry for the confusion. I agree that 360 has managed with dvd9s and it has been enough to produce awesome games with outstanding lighting and AA. Plus I agree with everyone that is saying the space of blu-ray is really being used have uncompressed audio. I also agree with the Crysis statements. Installed... it only takes up 7 or so gigs. Crysis is such a beautiful game because of what kind of video card/processor you have..... NOT because you have a 500gig HD to store it on lol.

valttu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 valttu
Member since 2007 • 1420 Posts
No they don't need it. But I'm not against blu-ray. Personally I don't care whatever the format is, as long as the graphics are great. :)
jrobinow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jrobinow
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts
I don't think the 360 needs a Blu Ray drive for gaming, but it would be a nice option to buy as a peripheral. I don't think there are that many gamers who would be willing to buy a whole new machine for an internal drive, but as an add-on it could sell well.
valttu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 valttu
Member since 2007 • 1420 Posts
I don't think the 360 needs a Blu Ray drive for gaming, but it would be a nice option to buy as a peripheral. I don't think there are that many gamers who would be willing to buy a whole new machine for an internal drive, but as an add-on it could sell well.jrobinow

Yup.
APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts

SteelAttack

My thoughts exac;y, no need for blu-ray for games this gen, next gen it will be a must though to compete in the entertainment market.

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts

its "couldn't care less" sigh...

steviedambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 steviedambo
Member since 2006 • 36 Posts
Don't think it would alter much as far as gaming is concerned apart from having the massive storage space for massive worlds in future games. At the moment though I'd only use it for watching Blu-ray films but would never do that on the 360 cos it's way too bloody loud!
sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts
Don't need it built in,but would be good as an add on.
b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts

The 360 will never have games on Blu-ray disc. It would fracture the current market. Everyone with current 360s wouldn't be able to play the games.

You'll have to wait until the next Xbox for Blu-ray games.

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

Read this-microsoft in talks with Sony over blu-ray drive

http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cinema/news/2008/03/07/Microsoft-Sony-Discussing-Xbox-360-Blu-ray-Player/p1

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts
I don't think they need it this gen. I wish they did launch with it, but that ship has sailed the only way I scould even imagine them incorporating Blu-Ray for games is if they released an external drive that could play games and then start selling special editions of games on Blu-Ray with extra features and maybe slightly updated graphics.
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts
Blu ray isn't really important unless you're going to have big games like Lost Odyssey. Thankfully, most games aren't like that.
a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 a55a55inx
[QUOTE="a55a55inx"][QUOTE="brujagio"]

[QUOTE="Twisted-Ice-God"]this thread is just pointless dribble since the basis is flawed... bluray doesnt make for better graphics, it won the war because of its size, bigger size means longer before they have to move on to next technology.... the gpu is what does the graphics and 360 has a wonderful gpu, an external blu ray is unlikley since sony owns blu ray and that takes away from them...ZodiacVII

i think you misunderstood my post (if you were trying to correct me)... i was actually saying that Blu-ray isn't nessesary with the current graphical effects being used...