Did anyone else think Halo 3 was a disappointment?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1 TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

I know I'm bringing up not just a 6 year old arguement, but a dead one for that matter, but when Halo 3 came out, the majority of people called it a disappointment. A half a decade later, and everyone goes on about how great it was now. To be honest, I still think the campaign was very disappointing, but a lot of people seem to disagree now. Possibly due to the fanbase garnering new, much younger fans who weren't around for all the hype?

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts
Halo 3 back when it came out was far from a disappointment. For many people, it gave them a reason to get the Xbox 360. I agree the campaign had some weak moments, but it was miles ahead of Halo 2's. But Halo 3 was when the online multiplayer was at its best.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#3 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
The majority of people called it a disappointment? I disagree and I've been on these forums for a long time. I'd say there's aspects of the game that a lot of people would agree weren't quite as good as they wanted. Namely the graphics, especially with games like Gears of War and Call of Duty 4 around at the time. Halo 3 still used more traditional animation where as Gears and Call of Duty used motion capture. And the aliasing wasn't that great. But the art direction still golds well and the environments are much better done than even most console game today. I feel like maybe the campaign didn't have enough surprises, but it was still pretty entertaining and 4-player online co-op was a brilliant addition. The multiplayer was still about as good as Halo 2's, I think a lot of the core Halo fans agree Halo 2 had a better map line up and the pro players had gripes about the battle rifle's spread but over all it was still a really solid multiplayer with good maps and a great level of customization. and Bungie was always keeping it fresh with monthly matchmaking updates and dlc. What really made Halo 3 great were the forge and theater modes it introduced to the series which most shooters even today still don't include. Back in the day a lot of the people who were disappointed with Halo 3 were the ones who liked what other games like Gears of War and Call of Duty were doing. Over time though that's what helped Halo 3 stand out. It was a different experience, and I'd argue that's what's weakened Halo. It's trying to be more like Call of Duty and that's a foolish thing to do when there are all sorts of games trying to be like Call of Duty. ... mmm to answer your question though, I wasn't disapointed with Halo 3. There are small things here and there that I wish were different or better but ultimately I love Halo 3, it's one of my very favorite games of all time.
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

This is strange. I've heard Halo ODST's. Halo Wars, REACH, and even Halo 2 called disappointing but never Halo 3. Say what you will about the campaign but since it did (sort of) allow you to finish the fight and see the end of the the Human-Covenant war I'd say it's about as disappointing as Return of the Jedi was back in the 80's. As in not at all.

Droolv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Droolv
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I completely disagree. Halo 3 was NOT a disappointment. Infact I enjoy playing Halo 3 much more than any other Halo game out there.
ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShaineTheNerd
Member since 2012 • 1578 Posts
Halo 3 is my all-time favorite multiplayer game. The story fell behind Combat Evolved, but it was still terrific. But that's all my opinion.
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#8 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Well, it's been a few years since I've played it, but from what I remember I enjoyed it.

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
Campaign was better than Halo 2's. multiplayer was a bit worse, but it was a fine game overall. I didn't see it as a disappointment at the time.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I was a tad disappointed with the campaign at the time. But I have put more hours into Halo 3's multiplayer than any other game. Verdict- not a disappointment. 4 though...
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I loved Halo 3. It's the second best Halo campaign IMO, and the MP was awesome too. The only disappointment I had with it was that I didn't want the campaign to end, but it did. The fights with those Scarabs! Awesome. Not playing as the Arbiter! Even better.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

Possibly due to the fanbase garnering new, much younger fans who weren't around for all the hype?

TheManofTin

Don't buy into the hype. Problem solved. Too many people get too hyped and then there's no way the game can live up to these expectations.

I don't get hyped. I don't read previews or reviews. I try to avoid all information about a game I'm going to play. For most games I don't even watch trailers. I did watch the first GTAV trailer but I haven't watched any of the others. I like going into a game knowing as little about it as possible and judge it for what it is, not what I expected it to be before it was even released.

The last game I got hyped for was Halo 2. I was HYPED. Then I played it and it was just another game. I was expecting something miraculous. Something I would put into my Xbox and miracles would start happening. Lol. No game can live up to that.

Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
I agree completely.
TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

I don't think it was a disappointment. It wasn't no Halo 2 by any standard though.

Partially what made this game very fun for me was trying to exploit things like throwing sticky nades on bouncing platforms and trying to stick people by ridicules means, also small objects on the map that once something exploded by it would go flying and kill anyone in its path... Hilarious every time.

Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts
I'm a graphics whore, and this game passed muster for my own personal taste.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

yes

WeskerTeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 WeskerTeam
Member since 2010 • 1827 Posts

Halo 3 wasn't any worse than Halo 2 in terms of story. Gameplay was best. 

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#18 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I did not find Halo 3 to be dissapointing.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
Campaign was average at best, some horrible level design in there. Multiplayer was where it shined though, it's too bad I got a 360 3 years after it's prime.