Dark Souls may have crossed the line into cheap territory

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

Sigh... it breaks my heart to see this. I've been watching the 24 hour Dark Souls livestream with IGN.com, and just read their review of the game, and it saddens me to say that the devs have finally broken the golden rule of tough games, and made their adventure cheap. Now to be fair, it's not ALWAYS cheap. There are just two specific instances where I feel the game is just plain broken.

1. Curses - in the game, a frog enemy can curse you, cutting your overall HP by HALF. This is familiar to demon's souls players, as it was the same consequence of dying in the first game. But the debuff stacks. So you can actually be so far limited by your max health that EVERY enemy can kill you in just 1 hit. And the curse does not fade upon dying, and can only be healed by an NPC in a few specific areas of the world. This can effectively break your game save, and one of the IGN editors says that he must not restart his character because of this game mechanic.

2. One of the boss fights features an enemy that shoots a corrosive bile that can degrade armor quickly. The problem is that once armor has been broken, it's gone forever, and you can't repair it or get it back. This means that the one boss can destroy your entire arsenal of weapons. That's not fair, and that is NOT fun.

I think we all knew in our hearts that in order to make a game harder than Demon's Souls, they were going to cross the line into cheap land, but it's just really sad that they've done it. Not sure I'm even going to be picking up the game anymore. Having to retry a boss 17 times for 4 hours because he's hard, I can handle. Having to restart my entire game save because of a game breaking mechanic. That is just NOT fair.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#2 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

I understand the reason people like these games, and I am holding out hope for Dark Souls, but I doubt I'll buy it for the same reason I regreted buying Demon Souls...because I don't have the time to play games that require me to replay every level in the game over and over because I don't what is coming next. That's what I mostly hated about Demon Souls: You had to die multiple times on the same level until you could memorize every hazard and enemy. It is like playing the original Ninja Gaiden on the NES.

Demon Souls was boring and the approach is the same as every other generic dungeon crawler type game. Early on I was interested in Demon Souls but I'm losing that over time.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
These games are not 'for everyone' nor were they meant to be. ...I fail to see the issue. Glad to see some people are getting the experience they want.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#4 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]These games are not 'for everyone' nor were they meant to be. ...I fail to see the issue. Glad to see some people are getting the experience they want.

There is no such thing as a 'game for everyone.'
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Essian
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]These games are not 'for everyone' nor were they meant to be. ...I fail to see the issue. Glad to see some people are getting the experience they want.

I fully enjoy a tough experience, and Demon's Souls was a wonderful challenge, but please explain to me how either of the things I explained above are "fun" for anyone
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rawsavon
[QUOTE="Blueresident87"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]These games are not 'for everyone' nor were they meant to be. ...I fail to see the issue. Glad to see some people are getting the experience they want.

There is no such thing as a 'game for everyone.'

NO, but there are games they try and make for everyone (have mass appeal)...and then there are games developers attempt to make for a small group/niche. It is funny b/c people seem to b**** no matter what developers do
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rawsavon
[QUOTE="Essian"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]These games are not 'for everyone' nor were they meant to be. ...I fail to see the issue. Glad to see some people are getting the experience they want.

I fully enjoy a tough experience, and Demon's Souls was a wonderful challenge, but please explain to me how either of the things I explained above are "fun" for anyone

Neither of us have played it...so we can't say. But the 'first' game was not for me either. With that said, people loved the first one and so far so good with reviews for this one. Like I said, I am happy some people are getting what they want/being catered to
Avatar image for AWolfoftheCalla
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AWolfoftheCalla
Member since 2011 • 162 Posts

Sigh... it breaks my heart to see this. I've been watching the 24 hour Dark Souls livestream with IGN.com, and just read their review of the game, and it saddens me to say that the devs have finally broken the golden rule of tough games, and made their adventure cheap. Now to be fair, it's not ALWAYS cheap. There are just two specific instances where I feel the game is just plain broken.

1. Curses - in the game, a frog enemy can curse you, cutting your overall HP by HALF. This is familiar to demon's souls players, as it was the same consequence of dying in the first game. But the debuff stacks. So you can actually be so far limited by your max health that EVERY enemy can kill you in just 1 hit. And the curse does not fade upon dying, and can only be healed by an NPC in a few specific areas of the world. This can effectively break your game save, and one of the IGN editors says that he must not restart his character because of this game mechanic.

2. One of the boss fights features an enemy that shoots a corrosive bile that can degrade armor quickly. The problem is that once armor has been broken, it's gone forever, and you can't repair it or get it back. This means that the one boss can destroy your entire arsenal of weapons. That's not fair, and that is NOT fun.

I think we all knew in our hearts that in order to make a game harder than Demon's Souls, they were going to cross the line into cheap land, but it's just really sad that they've done it. Not sure I'm even going to be picking up the game anymore. Having to retry a boss 17 times for 4 hours because he's hard, I can handle. Having to restart my entire game save because of a game breaking mechanic. That is just NOT fair.

Essian
and yet he scored the game a 9.5.... meaning CLEARLY it is not a huge issue, and will not effect the majority of players. in a few, small instances, this may happen to someone, but it will not be par for the course and therefore should not be a huge concern.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Essian
[QUOTE="Essian"]

AWolfoftheCalla
and yet he scored the game a 9.5.... meaning CLEARLY it is not a huge issue, and will not effect the majority of players. in a few, small instances, this may happen to someone, but it will not be par for the course and therefore should not be a huge concern.

fair point
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AWolfoftheCalla

[QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"][QUOTE="Essian"]

Essian

fair point

honestly, with how hard demons souls was and dark souls supposedly being harder, i would not have put it past the devs to have had a boss that in rare cases used a special attack that caused perma death of your character if caught in it. Im a LITTLE shocked there isnt something like this in the game.

yeah, i mean, if i end up being that one player in maybe 1000 that ends up getting cursed to oblivion and has to restart, i will probably yell and scream, gnash my teeth and swear off the game... i agree it will TOTALLY SUCK for that one player. meanwhile thousands of others will be playing the game and it will not happen to them, and they will complete it as normal.

i really feel sorry for the one player out there who will inevitably get cursed to hell and back, finally get cured after tens of hours of trying to get to the witch, and then get all of their best gear destroyed by the bile spitting dragon shortly after. we all know it is going to happen to a handful of us, and i preemptively apologize and give my deepest sympathies. then again, it is hard to feel sympathy for someone who ALLOWED these things to happen to them. let us not forget that the frogs can be dodged and/or killed... and the bile can be avoided. The game is brutally fair. if it happens to you, it is your fault, not the games.

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

If you died in demon's souls, didn't use the ring and assuming you didn't level out health alot of stuff could kill you in one hit....Really don't see how a curse would be any worse. You should be dodging or blocking the stuff anyways.

As for the armor you can repair it even when it breaks. Don't know what the reviewer was going on about...

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Essian

If you died in demon's souls, didn't use the ring and assuming you didn't level out health alot of stuff could kill you in one hit....Really don't see how a curse would be any worse. You should be dodging or blocking the stuff anyways.

As for the armor you can repair it even when it breaks. Don't know what the reviewer was going on about...

Ilikemyname420
blocking doesn't stop the curse, and I don't believe any game should be SO unforgiving as to not give you another chance. Once your health gets nerfed to hell, its game over basically, and I think that's wrong. If the curse was TIMED, Cured by a miracle, lost upon death, or any number of other more amicable game mechanics, it would make it more reasonable and FAIR. I don't think that having to restart your whole game just for making a mistake in dodging is fair. The whole point of Demon's Souls was learning for your mistakes, not being ungodly punished for them.
Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
The more I learn about this game, the less I wanna play it. And the last Rage video was SMOKIN'! . . .link . . .http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/id-tech-5-project/1197484p1.html
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Essian
The more I learn about this game, the less I wanna play it. And the last Rage video was SMOKIN'! . . .link . . .http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/id-tech-5-project/1197484p1.htmlHilbillyRokstar
meh, even with the downsides of Dark Souls I still would pick it up over Rage... the last thing I need is YET ANOTHER shooter
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AWolfoftheCalla
The more I learn about this game, the less I wanna play it. And the last Rage video was SMOKIN'! . . .link . . .http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/id-tech-5-project/1197484p1.htmlHilbillyRokstar
nothing about rage is "smokin". it looks boring, generic, and caught up in 90's gameplay. oooh a corridor... shoot some folks... oooh another corridor... shoot some more folks.
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AWolfoftheCalla
[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]The more I learn about this game, the less I wanna play it. And the last Rage video was SMOKIN'! . . .link . . .http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/id-tech-5-project/1197484p1.htmlEssian
meh, even with the downsides of Dark Souls I still would pick it up over Rage... the last thing I need is YET ANOTHER GENERIC, BORING, BASIC shooter

there i fixed it for you.
Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ilikemyname420
[QUOTE="Ilikemyname420"]

Essian
blocking doesn't stop the curse, and I don't believe any game should be SO unforgiving as to not give you another chance. Once your health gets nerfed to hell, its game over basically, and I think that's wrong. If the curse was TIMED, Cured by a miracle, lost upon death, or any number of other more amicable game mechanics, it would make it more reasonable and FAIR. I don't think that having to restart your whole game just for making a mistake in dodging is fair. The whole point of Demon's Souls was learning for your mistakes, not being ungodly punished for them.

I don't mean blocking the curse (you get it when you die), I'm just meaning it shouldn't affect you a whole lot because pretty much everything would be killing you in 1-2 hits anyways.....leveling health was never a good tactic in demon's souls and hell there were even builds using the cleaver rat's ring where you'd purposely keep your health below 30% at all times. Even in demon's souls it was quite possible to get semi stuck by breaking all your armor and losing all your souls but it had to have been pretty rare (never heard of it happening to anyone) seems about the same in this. Demon's souls punished you for making mistakes and it forced you to learn from them, this game seems to be doing the same thing it just makes the punishments a tad more severe but it's still nothing hugely debilitating.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]The more I learn about this game, the less I wanna play it. And the last Rage video was SMOKIN'! . . .link . . .http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/id-tech-5-project/1197484p1.htmlAWolfoftheCalla
nothing about rage is "smokin". it looks boring, generic, and caught up in 90's gameplay. oooh a corridor... shoot some folks... oooh another corridor... shoot some more folks.

Well, you know what opinions are like . . .everybody has one.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Essian
[QUOTE="Essian"][QUOTE="Ilikemyname420"]

Ilikemyname420

I don't mean blocking the curse (you get it when you die), I'm just meaning it shouldn't affect you a whole lot because pretty much everything would be killing you in 1-2 hits anyways.....leveling health was never a good tactic in demon's souls and hell there were even builds using the cleaver rat's ring where you'd purposely keep your health below 30% at all times. Even in demon's souls it was quite possible to get semi stuck by breaking all your armor and losing all your souls but it had to have been pretty rare (never heard of it happening to anyone) seems about the same in this. Demon's souls punished you for making mistakes and it forced you to learn from them, this game seems to be doing the same thing it just makes the punishments a tad more severe but it's still nothing hugely debilitating.

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa! Stop for a second. You get the curse when you DIE? Not as a chance on hit effect? If that is the case I plan to retract my earlier statements and then be flogged in the town square because that changes EVERYTHING! And you can only get it from dying from THOSE monsters? Is that what I am understanding?
Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ilikemyname420

[QUOTE="Ilikemyname420"][QUOTE="Essian"] blocking doesn't stop the curse, and I don't believe any game should be SO unforgiving as to not give you another chance. Once your health gets nerfed to hell, its game over basically, and I think that's wrong. If the curse was TIMED, Cured by a miracle, lost upon death, or any number of other more amicable game mechanics, it would make it more reasonable and FAIR. I don't think that having to restart your whole game just for making a mistake in dodging is fair. The whole point of Demon's Souls was learning for your mistakes, not being ungodly punished for them.Essian

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa! Stop for a second. You get the curse when you DIE? Not as a chance on hit effect? If that is the case I plan to retract my earlier statements and then be flogged in the town square because that changes EVERYTHING! And you can only get it from dying from THOSE monsters? Is that what I am understanding?

It's pretty much just dying period:

"Curse is a nasty effect that halves your life everytime you die, and it stacks on deaths meaning you could end up playing at 1/8 of your real lifebar. To recover from this status, you must purchase a book from (Name?) at the Bell Tower of Undead Parish for 4000 souls, or you must talk to the priestess (Name?) at New Londo." From: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/FAQ

Wouldn't doubt there were creatures that could cast it though....

AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AWolfoftheCalla

[QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"][QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]The more I learn about this game, the less I wanna play it. And the last Rage video was SMOKIN'! . . .link . . .http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/id-tech-5-project/1197484p1.htmlHilbillyRokstar

yeah unfortunately my opinion is backed up by several boring, generic gameplay videos... which are pretty solid proof.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]

[QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"] nothing about rage is "smokin". it looks boring, generic, and caught up in 90's gameplay. oooh a corridor... shoot some folks... oooh another corridor... shoot some more folks.AWolfoftheCalla

yeah unfortunately my opinion is backed up by several boring, generic gameplay videos... which are pretty solid proof.

Apparently you didn't see the last one. It's neither boring, nor generic. Also there wasn't a "corridor" in sight.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Essian

[QUOTE="Essian"][QUOTE="Ilikemyname420"] I don't mean blocking the curse (you get it when you die), I'm just meaning it shouldn't affect you a whole lot because pretty much everything would be killing you in 1-2 hits anyways.....leveling health was never a good tactic in demon's souls and hell there were even builds using the cleaver rat's ring where you'd purposely keep your health below 30% at all times. Even in demon's souls it was quite possible to get semi stuck by breaking all your armor and losing all your souls but it had to have been pretty rare (never heard of it happening to anyone) seems about the same in this. Demon's souls punished you for making mistakes and it forced you to learn from them, this game seems to be doing the same thing it just makes the punishments a tad more severe but it's still nothing hugely debilitating. Ilikemyname420

It's pretty much just dying period:

"Curse is a nasty effect that halves your life everytime you die, and it stacks on deaths meaning you could end up playing at 1/8 of your real lifebar. To recover from this status, you must purchase a book from (Name?) at the Bell Tower of Undead Parish for 4000 souls, or you must talk to the priestess (Name?) at New Londo." From: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/FAQ

Wouldn't doubt there were creatures that could cast it though....

well I know from watching the 24 hour IGN dark souls thing that it's not just from dying, because they played for 24 straight hours across a huge range of levels and didn't get cursed once (though to be fair, I did go to sleep for a few hours so they may have gotten cursed in there somewhere), which means that only a small portion of enemies seem to be able to do this to you. Also, I just read somewhere that helping a player kill a boss as a blue phantom will also reverse the effect! Will Reverse Hollowing undo the curse by any chance?
Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

buying neither game rage or dark souls, rage because it looks meh and Dark souls because I don't think punishing players is all that fun, If I am buying a 60 dollar game it better be for entertainment, not the devs being entertained that I wont ever beat the game.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Essian

buying neither game rage or dark souls, rage because it looks meh and Dark souls because I don't think punishing players is all that fun, If I am buying a 60 dollar game it better be for entertainment, not the devs being entertained that I wont ever beat the game.

Santesyu
the game can be completed with perseverance and a lot of hard work... but for players like me, I find that entertaining. You have to enjoy dying for the sake of progress and learning
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#26 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Yeah, I read about the frog curse, but I didn't know that it stacked. That sounds really cheap. The armor one is kind of lame too, but the frog curse is the really cheap one.

Regardless, I'll still end up playing it anyway because it looks really cool.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
These games are not 'for everyone' nor were they meant to be. ...I fail to see the issue. Glad to see some people are getting the experience they want.rawsavon
I agree, not a game for everyone, it's a love it or hate it type of game, I fall somewhere in between, I understand why people like it and hate it at the same time.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]The more I learn about this game, the less I wanna play it. And the last Rage video was SMOKIN'! . . .link . . .http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/id-tech-5-project/1197484p1.htmlEssian
meh, even with the downsides of Dark Souls I still would pick it up over Rage... the last thing I need is YET ANOTHER shooter

no game is perfect imo, I'm a rpg guy myself, but I do enjoy shooters to a certain degree, some of the stuff I seen in the Darksouls live 24hrs stream on ign made me worry that it's not my type of game.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Essian
[QUOTE="Essian"][QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]The more I learn about this game, the less I wanna play it. And the last Rage video was SMOKIN'! . . .link . . .http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/id-tech-5-project/1197484p1.htmlwizdom

no game is perfect imo, I'm a rpg guy myself, but I do enjoy shooters to a certain degree, some of the stuff I seen in the Darksouls live 24hrs stream on ign made me worry that it's not my type of game.

REALLY?! Everything I saw from that live stream made me want to go buy the game right away. About Rage, don't get me wrong, it looks freaking amazing and I am going to be picking it up as soon as I am done with Dark Souls, but there have just been so many good shooters this generation that another one doesn't entice me the same way that a revolutionary RPG does.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
If I am not mistaken people like this game and its predecessor precisely for its difficulty. I thought the first game was cheap as &*$# but apparently others didn't and still enjoyed it. It will be the same way for Dark Souls.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
i cant wait for dark souls 5 days before launch
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Essian
If I am not mistaken people like this game and its predecessor precisely for its difficulty. I thought the first game was cheap as &*$# but apparently others didn't and still enjoyed it. It will be the same way for Dark Souls. Ghost_702
I loved the difficulty in the last game, but only because I thought it was fair
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
[QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"][QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]

nothing about rage is "smokin". it looks boring, generic, and caught up in 90's gameplay. oooh a corridor... shoot some folks... oooh another corridor... shoot some more folks.AWolfoftheCalla

This is precisely the problem. Devs try something new and you all go "oh its the same generic shooter" and no one buys it. Great games like Singularity, Wolfenstein, Crysis 2 and others get passed over but then you guys go buy COD and Battlefield every year and those other games get no credit and don't get sequels. Then RPGs like this come out where the devs purposely do things that make players play the same parts of games over and over again and no one sees it or calls them on it. And once again great RPGs like Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey etc get passed over because Dark Souls is the new cool shiny game that everyone bandwagons and buys. It has to suck being a dev seeing your game **** on while these other games inexplicably make bank. *End rant*
AWolfoftheCalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AWolfoftheCalla

[QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"][QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]Well, you know what opinions are like . . .everybody has one.

firefox59

This is precisely the problem. Devs try something new and you all go "oh its the same generic shooter" and no one buys it. Great games like Singularity, Wolfenstein, Crysis 2 and others get passed over but then you guys go buy COD and Battlefield every year and those other games get no credit and don't get sequels. Then RPGs like this come out where the devs purposely do things that make players play the same parts of games over and over again and no one sees it or calls them on it. And once again great RPGs like Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey etc get passed over because Dark Souls is the new cool shiny game that everyone bandwagons and buys. It has to suck being a dev seeing your game **** on while these other games inexplicably make bank. *End rant*

oh dear.... please elaborate on what rage is doing that is new and ground breaking.....

nothing? oh ok, so we will just it together with every other shooter.

fyi, battlefield doesnt come out every year.... or every 3 years.... it has been 6 years since a proper battlefield game (BF2) came out.

dark souls does everything new, there is no other game like it except demons souls. your argument fails on all fronts....

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ilikemyname420

[QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"][QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]Well, you know what opinions are like . . .everybody has one.

firefox59

As much as I loved Lost Odyssey, and Eternal Sonata I hardly think that JRPGs like that including Resonance of Fate lost any business whatsoever because of games like Dark Souls. As for playing the same parts over and over you can't possibly tell me you don't find yourself grinding the same area over and over in a JRPG. Granted they are all RPGs from Japan but the formula for those games are so different from Demon's Souls/Dark Souls that they aren't not even in the same ballpark. Saying that those games got passed over because of Demon's Souls/Dark Souls is like saying people passed over Final Fantasy 13 because of the Elderscrolls series... it just doesn't happen.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"] yeah unfortunately my opinion is backed up by several boring, generic gameplay videos... which are pretty solid proof.Ilikemyname420

As much as I loved Lost Odyssey, and Eternal Sonata I hardly think that JRPGs like that including Resonance of Fate lost any business whatsoever because of games like Dark Souls. As for playing the same parts over and over you can't possibly tell me you don't find yourself grinding the same area over and over in a JRPG. Granted they are all RPGs from Japan but the formula for those games are so different from Demon's Souls/Dark Souls that they aren't not even in the same ballpark. Saying that those games got passed over because of Demon's Souls/Dark Souls is like saying people passed over Final Fantasy 13 because of the Elderscrolls series... it just doesn't happen.

But it is true, Americans pass over Japanese games because of American games, especially RPGs. That's why Nintendo won't publish over all these new RPGs coming out for NA, it happens across the industry. The "grinding" thing is JRPGs is a myth as well. You aren't played the game skillfully enough if you have to grind for hours on end, but that's for a different thread. And just because Elder Scrolls is American made and FF is Japaense doesn't mean its a good comparison.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="AWolfoftheCalla"] yeah unfortunately my opinion is backed up by several boring, generic gameplay videos... which are pretty solid proof.AWolfoftheCalla

oh dear.... please elaborate on what rage is doing that is new and ground breaking.....

nothing? oh ok, so we will just it together with every other shooter.

fyi, battlefield doesnt come out every year.... or every 3 years.... it has been 6 years since a proper battlefield game (BF2) came out.

dark souls does everything new, there is no other game like it except demons souls. your argument fails on all fronts....

You've obviously and clearly incapable of reading other people's opinions and realizing that they might have some merit. Trying to elaborate would be like throwing something in the air and hoping that once it won't fall back down. Btw you can't just ignore the other battlefield games that have come out cause you feel like it. And dark souls has everything new does it? So swords, shields, magic, bosses, curses blah blah have never been done before? Wow, it is an amazing game. It's still an RPG just like Rage is an FPS. Id won't lose any sleep over you not playing their game, you will just miss the chance to play a potentially great game.
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

The game seems so unfair. I just watched the 20+ ways to die thing and I would be so frusturated. I hardly got into Demon Souls because of the punishing difficulty so I certainly will not buy Dark Souls.

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ilikemyname420
[QUOTE="Ilikemyname420"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"] This is precisely the problem. Devs try something new and you all go "oh its the same generic shooter" and no one buys it. Great games like Singularity, Wolfenstein, Crysis 2 and others get passed over but then you guys go buy COD and Battlefield every year and those other games get no credit and don't get sequels. Then RPGs like this come out where the devs purposely do things that make players play the same parts of games over and over again and no one sees it or calls them on it. And once again great RPGs like Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey etc get passed over because Dark Souls is the new cool shiny game that everyone bandwagons and buys. It has to suck being a dev seeing your game **** on while these other games inexplicably make bank. *End rant*firefox59

But it is true, Americans pass over Japanese games because of American games, especially RPGs. That's why Nintendo won't publish over all these new RPGs coming out for NA, it happens across the industry. The "grinding" thing is JRPGs is a myth as well. You aren't played the game skillfully enough if you have to grind for hours on end, but that's for a different thread. And just because Elder Scrolls is American made and FF is Japaense doesn't mean its a good comparison.

You can't pass a game like Lost Odyssey without grinding at some point no matter how skillful you are unless you take your sweet time getting to every boss (but that's pretty much grinding). With the comparison you are trying to compare a classic style JRPG to what amounts to an action RPG, they both have RPG in the name of the genre but frankly they are so vastly different nobody is reasonably going to pass one up over the other. Perhaps it hasn't occurred to you the main reason westerners buy western style RPGs are because the players themselves from the west? Even without western style RPGs Americans/Europeans still wouldn't buy any more JRPGs than they are now because it's a cultural thing and has nothing to do with them being a 'cool shiny games'. In fact you could call Final Fantasy 13 a "cool shiny game' but it didn't sell as well in America (compared to other western RPGs) not because western RPGs edged them out but because the game itself just doesn't resonate with a western audience I mean hell a lot westerners just find games like that annoying.
Thomasdeleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Thomasdeleo
Member since 2006 • 1984 Posts

Essian
I watched the livestream too and this does suck but the game still looks great, hopefully I will love it as much as I did Demons Souls
dragonps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 dragonps
Member since 2007 • 1702 Posts

Essian
I played the game at GAMEFest last week and found it good but slightly broken combat system. Like you said making it that tough takes all the fun away from the game I had a huge argument with a guy about this issue on my youtube channel not long ago. I was trying to tell him that yes we DO want games that are a challenge but at the same time we want them to be fun. It is possible to have a challenging game and a fun one
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Essian
[QUOTE="Essian"]

dragonps
I played the game at GAMEFest last week and found it good but slightly broken combat system. Like you said making it that tough takes all the fun away from the game I had a huge argument with a guy about this issue on my youtube channel not long ago. I was trying to tell him that yes we DO want games that are a challenge but at the same time we want them to be fun. It is possible to have a challenging game and a fun one

errrr... back up I don't want to be misquoted. I was specifically referring to two very particular game mechanics. The combat system has been largely unchanged from Demon's Souls. I think your problem is with the combat of the game itself, whereas mine is just with these two specific things. Overall I think both Demon's and Dark Souls have an excellent difficulty and combat system, I was just concerned about cursing and that one boss
jinkxy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jinkxy1234
Member since 2011 • 40 Posts

This game is awesome but I just don't have time to waste anymore just to keep dying and dying all over again. hehehehe

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I like games which are more fun than brutally hard. Portal for example strikes the pefect balance in my opinion. Games that punish you by making you learn stuff over and over again just arent fun in my opinion.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Essian
I like games which are more fun than brutally hard. Portal for example strikes the pefect balance in my opinion. Games that punish you by making you learn stuff over and over again just arent fun in my opinion.V4LENT1NE
which is valid. That is one thing that Dark Souls has never tried to be: accessible to everyone. I mean sure, anyone can pick up and play the game, but it's the level of commitment required to beat it that really divides those who will from those who wont play it. Same reason why I won't play Ninja Gaiden II. I don't think that game is fun so much as annoyingly cheap. But some people think it's wonderful. Everyone has their own opinion on what a fun level of challenge is.
mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mr_zombie60
Member since 2007 • 560 Posts

Why do so many people feel that the difficulty of this game is some poor gimic?? The difficulty was meant to appeal to a hardcore niche of gamers, this isn't some wii motion control crap gimic.

Firefox, you seem to love continuously bashing on this game. This definitely is not some bandwagon game XD I mean cmon, are you kidding me? The appeal it has to masses is pretty damn low. The games you mentioned probably sold as many copies as Demon Souls rofl....

jinkxy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jinkxy1234
Member since 2011 • 40 Posts
[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]I like games which are more fun than brutally hard. Portal for example strikes the pefect balance in my opinion. Games that punish you by making you learn stuff over and over again just arent fun in my opinion.Essian
which is valid. That is one thing that Dark Souls has never tried to be: accessible to everyone. I mean sure, anyone can pick up and play the game, but it's the level of commitment required to beat it that really divides those who will from those who wont play it. Same reason why I won't play Ninja Gaiden II. I don't think that game is fun so much as annoyingly cheap. But some people think it's wonderful. Everyone has their own opinion on what a fun level of challenge is.

Oh yeah, I forgot NG 2. I played that and finished it. Told to myself I won't play games that are extremely hard even in Normal difficulty
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 firefox59
[QUOTE="mr_zombie60"]

Why do so many people feel that the difficulty of this game is some poor gimic?? The difficulty was meant to appeal to a hardcore niche of gamers, this isn't some wii motion control crap gimic.

Firefox, you seem to love continuously bashing on this game. This definitely is not some bandwagon game XD I mean cmon, are you kidding me? The appeal it has to masses is pretty damn low. The games you mentioned probably sold as many copies as Demon Souls rofl....

Ok then. 1. I don't know if your just joining this conversation but this thread stems from the other dark souls thread and the rage vs. dark souls thread. I began defending Rage against people making ridiculous claims against Rage and saying Dark Souls is the most original groundbreaking game ever. Its turned into this for me. 2. No I don't do research on every one of my posts but I just checked and Eternal Sonata sold about 20% of what demon souls did and Resonance of Fate about 35%. Roft that's so funny isn't it.... I mean about how I was correct and everything.