Chances of RROD

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts

Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing a 360 in the upcoming weeks- however, I am a tad concerned about its hardware quality. I know there are good games (oh my god yes! Halo! Alan Wake! Gears of War...okay, going to stop now)and the online interface is excellent (looking forwards to gaming with my friends) but I have also readthreads which said that the failure rate was as high as 54%?! Even if there was a 3 year warranty with it, I wouldn't be happy if it died every fortnight tbh (I don't really like the idea of carrying my console around and then waiting for days to collect it), but then my friend told me that the new batch of eliteshave solved the problem? That there are no more RROD problems around anymore?Does anyone know what the current failure rate for the elite models are or has the problem really been eliminated :D?

Your help is appreciated ;)

firebolt53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 firebolt53
Member since 2009 • 670 Posts
Mine died after a year and a half of ownership, though this was E74 not 3 red lights. Dont panic, its not that high anymore and the quality of service from microsoft repairs means you get it back in about a week. Not bad for the cheapest console out there.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Just don't get a xenon lol, they all fail. Jaspers are good... unfortunately my project only takes xenons :P
Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts
I've had three 360s go RROD on me, but I just consider myself unlucky.
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

I've had three 360s go RROD on me, but I just consider myself unlucky.Dylan_11

You sir are unlucky ive had one..Im still on my second an that got repaired on me..Im hopeful for this one to go..Ill go out an buy a new hd one..at least now there only 200..Not to bad..Back than they where 4-500 so im not complaining if mind goes..Ive had this unit since the day one..That be at least 4-5 years now..Cant remember the year of 360s release..Ive got 2k7 some place madden i think..Might be 2k6 in ther also..

skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts

no dude.. the chances are less than 20% with the new console that are shipping now. hope this helps.

Enforcer246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Enforcer246
Member since 2008 • 601 Posts

My console is from 2007. Got the RROD last august, had it fixed/modded in september then got RROD again in october, then it magically started working again a couple days ago lol.

Rainbow_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rainbow_Lion
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts

My GPU failed after 18 months and I kept it spotless and well ventilated, can't fault the repair though at least they fix it free unlike the PS3's YLOD

Zoldaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Zoldaire
Member since 2005 • 154 Posts
My first problem with my Xbox was a harddrive problem, it just lost all of the stuff on it. Thankfully I just had to send it to a repair station in Central Europe and a week later the console was brought back to me personally. I've only had 1 RROD so far and I didn't have to pay anything because of it, eventhough my warranty had ran out. This time the service was even better. They came to get the console from me, and brought the console back to me personally, and it took them roughly 4 days. If that is not good customer service, nothing is. But don't worry about the failure chance. They're mostly overrated and even if you happen to be unlucky to get one, it won't take long for them to repair the console and deliver it back to you.
Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts

In terms of numbers Microsoft has announced that with their new Jasper Chip RRoD is down to 5% of all consoles, which is pretty much on par with the Wii and PS3.

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
If you get RROD its fixed, don't worry..
YouHaveRabies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 YouHaveRabies
Member since 2009 • 212 Posts
How can you tell if you have the Jasper chip or not? My Xbox broke on me a few weeks ago and I had a product replacement plan with Best Buy so I got a brand new one in store that day. They gave me the 120GB elite bundle that came with Forza 3 and Halo ODST. Would that Xbox have the Jasper?
Urban_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Urban_Flow
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

Somebody told me that the Arcade models have Jasper....or any Xbox made or manufactured after December 2008.Correct me if im wrong....but i belivet that he wasn't lieing.....Installing games to your hard drive DEFINATELY helps against RROD.(If you are still unsure)

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

if you go to gamestop or something and buy a NEW one, you'll be fine

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

Mine had a fan brakedown, my fans must be working at like 50% preformance because I keep on overheating, the weird part is that it didn't overheat ever last summer and all of a sudden it keeps on overheating, I am going to call Microsoft and get it fixed, does anyone know the warrenty length of a Xbox 360 with broken fans?

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

But don't worry about the failure chance. They're mostly overrated and even if you happen to be unlucky to get one, it won't take long for them to repair the console and deliver it back to you.Zoldaire

very true..ive only had my jasper xbox since october 09 and not had any problems but its actually over a year old cos its a RE5 limited edition which were released c. march 09..and a load of my mates have had xboxes for years and never had any problems with them..

the jasper models have something like 12v 12,1a;5v 1a on the back of the console above the made in china sign

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts

Thanks for the answers ppl :D....just one more thing though: Elite Models all have jasper chips right?