Cant play any original xbox games, please help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hofflehoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hofflehoff
Member since 2007 • 38 Posts
I recently bought a hard drive for my 360 (120GB), but am unable to play any original xbox games on the console. What's the problem? Help would be much appreciated :)
gamespoter786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gamespoter786
Member since 2006 • 92 Posts

what games are you trying to play? go to xbox.com to check what games work in backward compatibility. if your game is there, then i dont know what the problem is.

Hofflehoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hofflehoff
The games i've tried are all on that list...
karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 karriston
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts
You have to connect to Xbox live, or download stuff from the xbox website, burn it onto a disc and then put that disc into your 360.
Pit_italy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Pit_italy
Member since 2005 • 965 Posts

You have to connect to Xbox live, or download stuff from the xbox website, burn it onto a disc and then put that disc into your 360.karriston

yeah the sofware for backward compatibility doesnt come in your harddrive, you need to install it manually in one of the two ways he said.

Hofflehoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hofflehoff
I downloaded the backwards compatability thing and installed it but there's still the same problem..
Pit_italy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Pit_italy
Member since 2005 • 965 Posts

Did you download it from live or did u burn it on a cd?

Did you restart the xbox after installing it? (even though as far as i remember it should restart automatically)

Other than that i dont know what to say, i installed it long time ago and it worked just like that.

karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 karriston
What exactly happens when you put the disc into your 360?
Hofflehoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hofflehoff
I did this a few weeks ago, i burned it onto a cd as i have no access to live. As far as i remember, it installed automatically, then the console restarted. Is my console just faulty?
karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 karriston
I meant what does your 360 say when you put in an original xbox game :)
videsjlv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 videsjlv
Member since 2006 • 103 Posts
u will find a option to play original xbox games in settings
Hofflehoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hofflehoff
Where is that option in settings?? When I put any original xbox game into the console, a message comes up saying this disc is damaged or dirty, or something like that, and please clean it with a soft cloth, but the disc is not dirty or scratched at all.. Any ideas?
Avatar image for Firestarter0709
Firestarter0709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Firestarter0709
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I have the exact same problem. If I swap my 20gb hard drive back in I can play, but as soon as I have my 120gb hard drive in, no original games work (whether by disc or download). If it's a disc I get "Error disc cannot be played. It may be dirty or damaged" and if it is a download "Error, try downloading the game again". The error is not the disc or the download, it's definately the hard drive. I have formatted the hard drive with my console (putting in the serial number and all that) and I have downloaded and burnt the latest backwards compatibility patch, but nothing works. I am on Live and it doesn't even ask for the latest Patch to play Halo 2.
smiffo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 smiffo99
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

i have exactly the same problem, i have an xbox360 arcade a 120gb hard drive, i have downloaded the bc update with no avail. it says it has updated but i dont see it when i look at the contents of the hard drive, unless its hidden....??

when iinsert an xbox origional it just ass me to re-download the game "game error: game cannot start"

i know that the arcade does play xbox originals so whats the problem?

smiffo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 smiffo99
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

seems impossible to find a solution this anywhere online

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
Are you connected to "Live" while trying to play your original games?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
At this point wouldn't it be better to call Microsoft and find out what the problem is?
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
are you using a vga lead coz most the games cant support the graphics modes used by vga monitors and u have run them games on a normal or hdtv. ur talking about 90% of the games if not more that wont work on vga because they only support certain pal tv modes. ya really shud get ur console online and play the game that way and it wil download what it needs, ive got the latest dash update but most my original xbox games still need to download a update to play onto of the dash update and thats probally your problem if its not the vga lead
Tak182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tak182
Member since 2003 • 72 Posts

I have the exact same problem. If I swap my 20gb hard drive back in I can play, but as soon as I have my 120gb hard drive in, no original games work (whether by disc or download). If it's a disc I get "Error disc cannot be played. It may be dirty or damaged" and if it is a download "Error, try downloading the game again". The error is not the disc or the download, it's definately the hard drive. I have formatted the hard drive with my console (putting in the serial number and all that) and I have downloaded and burnt the latest backwards compatibility patch, but nothing works. I am on Live and it doesn't even ask for the latest Patch to play Halo 2.Firestarter0709

did u download the game demo onto both hard drives or just ur 20? cause that would explain that problem.

Buba_Trumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Buba_Trumps
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts
I'm also dealing with this exact same error (just bought a new 120 gb HD from ebay and this is the issue) my guess is that the HD are region locked and the Ebay sellers are selling wholesale refurbs from China. Any answers yet? XBL support is no help, just a waste of time BS india call center.
RussianRussel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RussianRussel
This problem is not fixable. If you bought a 'refurbished' drive from China, you are fooling yourself. Those are WD Scorpio drives made with a special hacking tool, all using the same security sector, which is blacklisted by m$. So as soon as it detects the drive is a fake, non-genuine HDD, it will fail. Bear in mind that a future dashboard update could completely disable use of fakesigned HDD's. They want people to buy their original stuff so they can get a huge markup. It's all about business! Anyway this should clear up this issue once and for all.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I bought an Elite. Came with a 120GB HDD. Most xbox originals play fine. Some though, like Halo: CE and Manhunt, won't display full screen. When I play them in 720p or higher i get black bars down the left and right side of the screen. When I play them in 480p the image is just a tiny square in the middle of my TV that has visable vertical lines going through it. The sound of the game plays fine but the on-screen image doesn't keep up. l only noticed this problem after I installed the NXE. Does anyone else have this problem when they play the original Halo in 480p? My 120 is an official MS HDD. I've tried re-downloading the BC software but it changed nothing. Other xbox games, like Ninja Gaiden Black, work fine at 480p. This problem only seems to effect original xbox games that only display in full screen at 480p.
RussianRussel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RussianRussel
Sounds more like a compatibility issue. Most people on this thread can't get XBOX1 games working period. Actually I'm surprised m$ doesn't give out any warnings for people not to buy hacked HDD's with WD BEVS drives inside. They're all over ebay, surely that can't be acceptable!
GaidenGuy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GaidenGuy123
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I'm having the same problem, and nothing seems to help. I've tried everything!

NECOthaHOUND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 NECOthaHOUND
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts

Same problem here, I got a 120 gig hdd, got it from australia but it must have been coming from china coz when I put it in my xbox 360 the drive name was displayed in chinese characters, I read somewhere on the net that these a$$holes get the cases of the xbox hdd, pull out the hard disc and put a random laptop sorta disc in it, and apparently that doesn't let you play original xbox games coz it lacks data that it's only installed in the original drives.

Original xbox disc (shenmue 2) or downloaded from xbox live (jade empire) both on the compatibility list, don't work.

I tried everything too, formatted, uploaded from the website and updated from a dvd, it says that the update is already installed, I' m gonna try getting a genuine hard drive and use it, I'll see if that works, I'll post the outcome here.

Hope we all find a solution soon.

NECOthaHOUND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 NECOthaHOUND
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts

Aiight Fellas, this thread might be dead by now but I'm still posting in case some poor bast@rd like me buys one of those fake ass hdd and goes crazy tryna find why it don't work as it should.

I just traded mine in today, got a genuine 60 gb microsoft hdd, backwards compatibility worked like a charm, shenmue II and jade empire are both working fine, the drive updated itself from xbox live and everything went smooth.

Bottom line is if you looking to get a hdd from ebay thinking to save some cash, think again, God knows what kind of problems this fake ass third party hard drives will cause you, don't bother with them unless you want a hdd to just store data on, don't expect it to do anything else, if you want my opinion, stick to the original stuff.