cant download M rated stuff from marketplace. update mess it up.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brasswood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 brasswood
Member since 2005 • 41 Posts

Ever since i got the fall dashboard update i can't download any M rated stuff. hasthis been happening to you too.

help me out if you know what to do.

lillilnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lillilnick
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts
Bump! I would also like to know this too.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts
same here...havent found a way around it
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
thats beacuse you aren't old enough, what can I tell you, ESRB and game companies, lawmakers, and parents go to great lengths to keep inappropriate material out of the hands of those too young for it. What until you are old enough, what can I tell you, as far as I see this is the best thing that the fall update did.
Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts

thats beacuse you aren't old enough, what can I tell you, ESRB and game companies, lawmakers, and parents go to great lengths to keep inappropriate material out of the hands of those too young for it. What until you are old enough, what can I tell you, as far as I see this is the best thing that the fall update did.mfp16

Not necessarily true - considering I am 18 and have this problem too. I haven't bothered to "promote" my account since I don't have another card, and all the Parental Settings are set to "Allowed." I can go on MSN just fine, but can't download an M-rated (17+) demo? This is the dumbest thing that MS could do...

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mfp16
How is it MS fault that you havn't promoted your account? I would say thats your fault.
Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Aaron89

How is it MS fault that you havn't promoted your account? I would say thats your fault.mfp16

Actually, it isn't. I have one credit card (for awhile now, and was used to create my account back in 2002), and need a completely new one to promote the account. Having a credit card for Live isn't even necessary anymore because of pre-paid cards, so this "Security Step" is pointless and ridiculous.

They want me to get a new card just to download a few demos I should already be able to play? The person who thought of that should be fired.

snipeshot11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 snipeshot11
Member since 2007 • 1006 Posts

How is it MS fault that you havn't promoted your account? I would say thats your fault.mfp16

your a tool, i can garentee if you were our age you would feel the same way, what are you 40? If parents really cared about what thier kids watched or played they can block it themselves without m$ doing it!

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mfp16
if you are 18 now then how did you have a credit card in 2002?
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mfp16

[QUOTE="mfp16"]How is it MS fault that you havn't promoted your account? I would say thats your fault.snipeshot11

your a tool, i can garentee if you were our age you would feel the same way, what are you 40? If parents really cared about what thier kids watched or played they can block it themselves without m$ doing it!

If your parents are too stupid to block you from inappropriate stuff at least someone is doing it.. at this rate, with the rampant amount of M rated games going to minors it's actually hurting the industry. Of course law makers and everyone and their brothers are going to attack the industry then. If the content was appropriatly restricted we wouldn't have the problems we are having now. No one would be saying that video games are too violent etc., it would be a non-issue.

The reason the industry is in the position it is now is because of lazy parents. Because of that adult gamers are going to suffer (it's already started with a censored Manhunt 2, don't think it's going to stop there)

When you are 17 you can play all the mature games you want, until then play games geared toward your demographic, don't like that... then go read a book.

Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Aaron89

if you are 18 now then how did you have a credit card in 2002?mfp16

Ok, this is getting a little off topic - but I was able to obtain a card in my name (but with a joint offer) and started to build up credit awhile ago. I don't really plan on getting another card, nor should I have to use a parent's card.

Anyway, this M-Rated restrictions is basically garbage, and you would think so too had you been in this situation.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mfp16

[QUOTE="mfp16"]if you are 18 now then how did you have a credit card in 2002?Aaron89

Ok, this is getting a little off topic - but I was able to obtain a card in my name (but with a joint offer) and started to build up credit awhile ago. I don't really plan on getting another card, nor should I have to use a parent's card.

Anyway, this M-Rated restrictions is basically garbage, and you would think so too had you been in this situation.

Sorry dude, I just don't agree with you, it's a just a minor annoyance, you found the solution yourself, use a parents card. Welcome to life, sometimes you need to deal with a minor annoyance to the benfit of others.

snipeshot11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 snipeshot11
[QUOTE="snipeshot11"]

[QUOTE="mfp16"]How is it MS fault that you havn't promoted your account? I would say thats your fault.mfp16

If your parents are too stupid to block you from inappropriate stuff at least someone is doing it.. at this rate, with the rampant amount of M rated games going to minors it's actually hurting the industry. Of course law makers and everyone and their brothers are going to attack the industry then. If the content was appropriatly restricted we wouldn't have the problems we are having now. No one would be saying that video games are too violent etc., it would be a non-issue.

The reason the industry is in the position it is now is because of lazy parents. Because of that adult gamers are going to suffer (it's already started with a censored Manhunt 2, don't think it's going to stop there)

Well it has to start somewhere, the stores are also to blame cause they have rules as well. You can't blame the parents, if the parents are to lazy to put a block on a game, I can't see them going crazy and trying to sue someone. Its people like Jack Thomson who are causing the censors in games and people like arnold banning games for california. I agree it is getting out of hand but its hardly the parents faults. All in all, M$ made yet anoher mistake, and everyone besides you agrees.

mfacek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mfacek
Member since 2006 • 3000 Posts
[QUOTE="snipeshot11"]

[QUOTE="mfp16"]How is it MS fault that you havn't promoted your account? I would say thats your fault.mfp16

When you are 17 you can play all the mature games you want, until then play games geared toward your demographic, don't like that... then go read a book.

Ever think that we are allowed to play M games? I'm 15, in highschool, and my parents let me play M games. Not because they are bad parents and don't care, but because they believe me to be mature enough for M games. I wasn't allowed to play most M games untill this year, why does Microsoft have the right to tell me, and my parents, that I shouldn't be watching M stuff? These are guidelines for parents, not laws like alcohol or tobacco.

snipeshot11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 snipeshot11
[QUOTE="mfp16"][QUOTE="snipeshot11"]

[QUOTE="mfp16"]How is it MS fault that you havn't promoted your account? I would say thats your fault.mfacek

Ever think that we are allowed to play M games? I'm 15, in highschool, and my parents let me play M games. Not because they are bad parents and don't care, but because they believe me to be mature enough for M games. I wasn't allowed to play most M games untill this year, why does Microsoft have the right to tell me, and my parents, that I shouldn't be watching M stuff? These are guidelines for parents, not laws like alcohol or tobacco.

exactly, couldnt have said it better myself. Im 17 and my rents have never not let me play a game. I think its a thing of trust, responsibility, and maturity. People use video games as a scape goat to everything that goes wrong now. Saying Columbine was cause by video games, and saying 9/11 was cause by terrorist playing flight simulator. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. As detailed as flight simulator may be you cannot learn to fly a god-dam plan. As for Columbine. if the kid got the idea to shoot up a school from the a video game, then yes, ban video games but GTA did not teach this kid how to cok a gun, nor did it teach them to be syko paths.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
ms is idiots you guys are 18 and cant download anything im 13 and i just got the new maps for halo 3 thats funny
DarthDravvid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 DarthDravvid
Member since 2005 • 296 Posts

Ever since i got the fall dashboard update i can't download any M rated stuff. hasthis been happening to you too.

brasswood

You need to have an adult account to do that. If you're over 18 like me, I've been waiting for this update to promote my account.

Like, everyone complaining here is a little naive to be **** about this new update. It ALLOWS you to promote your account to an adult account anyways. So the time you spent here whining about it, you could've gotten on your xbox and done what I did and not worried about it.

Asasinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Asasinator
Member since 2005 • 464 Posts

same thing happened to me luckily im 18 so i was able to upgrade my account to a adult account

mfacek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mfacek

ms is idiots you guys are 18 and cant download anything im 13 and i just got the new maps for halo 3 thats funny dkdk999

yes little boy, ms is idiots......ms is idiots....

Avatar image for foolwestcoast33
foolwestcoast33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 foolwestcoast33
Member since 2004 • 197 Posts

thats beacuse you aren't old enough, what can I tell you, ESRB and game companies, lawmakers, and parents go to great lengths to keep inappropriate material out of the hands of those too young for it. What until you are old enough, what can I tell you, as far as I see this is the best thing that the fall update did.mfp16

I'm seventeen and couldnt download the GTAIV trailer moving on up ladies so its not such a good thing when Im of legal age

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
deactivated-5f5404ad8217e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts

ill fell bad for you guys. im young and my prents letme play any m raed game, as long as it doesnt have nudity. but i have to agree with the guy who doesnt want to create a new account just to download new demos. thats bull$hit.your fuc1n 18. man microsoftfuc3d updukenukem2

my mom was the opposite when i wasnt 18. she didnt care about nudity, she cared about the violence.

Avatar image for stealth360snipa
stealth360snipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 stealth360snipa
Member since 2006 • 767 Posts

brasswood
yes! it makes me angry!!!
kyrissbp82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kyrissbp82
Member since 2006 • 391 Posts
Did any of you who turned 18 call MS and ask them if you can promote your account without a new card? I suggest you do that before complaining.
Avatar image for stealth360snipa
stealth360snipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 stealth360snipa
Member since 2006 • 767 Posts

[QUOTE="mfp16"]thats beacuse you aren't old enough, what can I tell you, ESRB and game companies, lawmakers, and parents go to great lengths to keep inappropriate material out of the hands of those too young for it. What until you are old enough, what can I tell you, as far as I see this is the best thing that the fall update did.foolwestcoast33

im 14 and my parents let me play a bunch of M games, so long as they arnt super bad. im a straight A student and a good kid. im pretty sure i can handle this stuff.

I'm seventeen and couldnt download the GTAIV trailer moving on up ladies so its not such a good thing when Im of legal age

brasswood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 brasswood
Member since 2005 • 41 Posts

Did any of you who turned 18 call MS and ask them if you can promote your account without a new card? I suggest you do that before complaining.kyrissbp82

yeah i called 1800 4myxbox before i posted here but still i was able to do it before and im 16. My parents let me play M rated games becausethey think im mature enough.

The lady that answered told me that microsoft was trying something new. i don't know.

at least tell me how topromote my account to an adult account thanks.

Zaggmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zaggmeister
Member since 2004 • 136 Posts

Hey, for all of you guys who want to promote your account...and you're 18, but you only have 1 card....go ahead and promote your account. I used the same card when I promoted my account as I did when I set my account up in October, so I was 17, and it took the info just the same. It worked perfectly. I don't know if MS said you need a different card number, but I didn't need a different one.

-Ziggy

subnoiz1605

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 subnoiz1605
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I'm glad they are keeping you little annoying 15 yearolds outta the games I play, go Microsoft.
Avatar image for Louis_Routledge
Louis_Routledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Louis_Routledge
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts
[QUOTE="mfp16"][QUOTE="snipeshot11"]

[QUOTE="mfp16"]How is it MS fault that you havn't promoted your account? I would say thats your fault.mfacek

Law. You're not legally allowed to supply mature content to those under the age restriction.

GogetaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GogetaX
Member since 2003 • 379 Posts

Law. You're not legally allowed to supply mature content to those under the age restriction.

Flawed law. If that's the case then books, art, and other forms of media that can carry mature content that don't already have a rating system like movies and music should also be subject to this. Oh wait. That'll never happen because video games are too easy of a target.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
it's making ms lose a lot of money and who cares what little kids play, they'll be messed up with or without games if they're gonna be messed up.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a3583b110a97
deactivated-5a3583b110a97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5a3583b110a97
Member since 2005 • 877 Posts

guys this is really easy to fix!

I am 17. I had the same problem, which is complete bull, because I'm legally allowed to go to a store and buy an M rated game. Anyway all you have to do is switch the email address associated with your xbox live account to a birth date over 18! I have a hotmail account, and I changed my birthday to 1961, and now it works fine!

hockeyfan37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hockeyfan37
Member since 2005 • 113 Posts
same thing happened to me. the way to get around it is to create a silver account which is free. just like getting another gamertag. hopefully microsoft fixes it.
pRiVaTeRyAn92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 pRiVaTeRyAn92
Member since 2006 • 1003 Posts
I changed the email address, but it still doesn't work. What else do you have to do?
xoverkillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 xoverkillx
Member since 2005 • 3320 Posts

I changed the email address, but it still doesn't work. What else do you have to do?pRiVaTeRyAn92

sorry probably stupid question but how do you change the email address?

mfacek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mfacek
[QUOTE="mfacek"][QUOTE="mfp16"][QUOTE="snipeshot11"]

[QUOTE="mfp16"]How is it MS fault that you havn't promoted your account? I would say thats your fault.Louis_Routledge

Hmmm, no last time I checked a parent can buy it for you and hand it to you in the store. Try doing that with a cigar or beer. It is a law to SELL it to a kid, not a law for kid to play. So my question is how does Microsoft have the right to go over my parents head?