Can HDMI Xbox have seperate digital audio out?...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

frankmcma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 frankmcma
Member since 2004 • 184 Posts

Have the orgiinal 360 but looking at the newer ones that offer HDMI. I know the component cable I use now has a seperate digital opitical cable out, but how can I do this with the HDMI versions? Basically want to route the video to my TV and the audio to my stereo.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Frank

SunLord592

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 SunLord592
Member since 2003 • 2651 Posts
if you buy a elite it comes with a HDMI wire, it also comes with a seperate wire for audio. this connects where the compenent wires connect on the 360. with that it allows you to connect RCA cables or optical for sound. i think, and i m nit interially sure of this comes with the premium that now have hdmi
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

I'm completely sure you can have HDMI for video and optical for audio in the new hDMI premiums. There are to separate outpts for video and audio. You have to go to the system blade and select optical for audio... Or so I've been told.

Hope this helped

Gigagamer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Gigagamer2
Member since 2004 • 2149 Posts

yes

u plug in the HDMI as normal, then u plug in an audio out into the stadard 360AV port, that allows u to use the Red and White lead or optical if u wish

kirk3652

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kirk3652
Member since 2002 • 333 Posts
Yes.
TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TimothyB
Member since 2003 • 6564 Posts

This is annoying what MS did. YOu can't connect the component cables at the same time as HDMI since the AV connector is too fat and blocks the HDMI port. So no optical or analog out. But for some reason, they include an audio adapter with the Elite, that has a thinner connector that will work with the A/V port at the same time with HDMI, giving you what you want.

I mean I understand only the Elite coming with an "HDMI cable", but the audio adapter is essential to all HDMI 360s. And guess what, the only way to get that adapter is to buy from MS a 360 official HDMI cable for $50 freaking dollars. So much for buying an HDMI cable for $5 when you are forced to buy an overpriced one from MS just to get that adapter you need.

Otherwise, the only possible other option is to just connect HDMI to your tv, still set the 360 to Dolby Digital 5.1 through HDMI, then use the optical audio "out" on your tv to send that to the receiver.

marcssc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 marcssc
Member since 2004 • 105 Posts
yes it can be done. if you buy the elite it comes with everything you need but if you get the premium you need to buy this http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802758 i had an old 360 and bought a tv that supports 1080p only through hdmi so i upgraded to an elite and i have my audio system hooked up through optical. so yes it can be done
TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TimothyB

yes

u plug in the HDMI as normal, then u plug in an audio out into the stadard 360AV port, that allows u to use the Red and White lead or optical if u wish

Gigagamer2

When you connect an HDMI cable into the 360, you can no longer plug in an AV VGA or Component cables to make use of the audio options because the HDMI cable gets in the way.

You need this, and only the Elite comes with it, or you pay $50 extra from MS.

If they just had put the HDMI port on the other side of the AV port, then AV connecter that hangs over would block it.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
[QUOTE="Gigagamer2"]

yes

TimothyB

When you connect an HDMI cable into the 360, you can no longer plug in an AV VGA or Component cables to make use of the audio options because the HDMI cable gets in the way.

You need this, and only the Elite comes with it, or you pay $50 extra from MS.

If they just had put the HDMI port on the other side of the AV port, then AV connecter that hangs over would block it.

Way to go Microsoft! So in essence, for most people wanting Dolby Digital, any non Elite 360 with HDMI is $50 more expensive. Even more reason to get the Elite.

WillT12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WillT12345
Member since 2004 • 3123 Posts
So you can't plug in a HDMI cable and the xbox Compnent/Composite/optical cable at the same time on the new pro systems just cause of the size? That is a terible design, plus I though you get flashing lights if that big cable isn't pluged in.
Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Taijiquan
Member since 2002 • 7431 Posts

Reasons like this make me angry with Microsoft. No wifi, which is unexcusable. Seriously, if the controllers use wifi why have to gimi crack it or buy a wifi adapter?

This crap with having to buy a harness is another way for Microsoft to rip people off. (Does hurt me a bit since I have an Onkyo Receiver where I can use the HDMI)

Here is your FU Microsoft fix,

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TimothyB

Reasons like this make me angry with Microsoft. No wifi, which is unexcusable. Seriously, if the controllers use wifi why have to gimi crack it or buy a wifi adapter?

This crap with having to buy a harness is another way for Microsoft to rip people off. (Does hurt me a bit since I have an Onkyo Receiver where I can use the HDMI)

Here is your FU Microsoft fix,

Taijiquan

I finally solved my wireless problem. Wasn't ready to buy a $100 360 adapter, a $60 tivo adapter, and something for my 20 gig PS3.

This worked perfectly to connect them to cheap $40 D-Link wireless router network. A Buffalo g54HP:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Buffalo-Technology-Wireless-G-MIMO-Performance-Ethernet-Converter-WLITX4G54HP/sem/rpsm/oid/162407/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#tabs

So for $55, I got my 360, PS3, Tivo connected to this one device, still one port left. And testing a movie download on the 360, it went full 607k per second, the as fast as my DSL can go:

frankmcma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 frankmcma
Member since 2004 • 184 Posts

Perfect..thanks for all the EXCELLENT info everyone. Looks like I can do it the way I want (HDMI video and digital audio seperate) and I did not know about the adapter...one more reason I should probably go with the Elite..thanks!

Frank

blue_tape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blue_tape
Member since 2007 • 2868 Posts
This thread has been informative and enlightening.
craziac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 craziac
Member since 2003 • 51 Posts

This is annoying what MS did. YOu can't connect the component cables at the same time as HDMI since the AV connector is too fat and blocks the HDMI port. So no optical or analog out. But for some reason, they include an audio adapter with the Elite, that has a thinner connector that will work with the A/V port at the same time with HDMI, giving you what you want.

I mean I understand only the Elite coming with an "HDMI cable", but the audio adapter is essential to all HDMI 360s. And guess what, the only way to get that adapter is to buy from MS a 360 official HDMI cable for $50 freaking dollars. So much for buying an HDMI cable for $5 when you are forced to buy an overpriced one from MS just to get that adapter you need.

Otherwise, the only possible other option is to just connect HDMI to your tv, still set the 360 to Dolby Digital 5.1 through HDMI, then use the optical audio "out" on your tv to send that to the receiver.

TimothyB

Wow, I didn't realize that. I'm really glad I decided to go for the Elite instead of the Premium now. And I do feel bad for the other people who get screwed by this....you might be able to get one on eBay for cheap...or you could trying manually making your AV connector smallerwith a file or something:P

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TimothyB
Well, I don't mind in the end as I only have 3 optical cables on the back of my receiver,4th in front. I now have my HD-DVD player, PS3, and 360, all going to my TV with Dolby Digital 5.1 with just HDMI, then I use one optical out cable from the tv to the receiver to get that 5.1 from all devices to it. Saves me two cables.
draggonetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 draggonetic
Member since 2003 • 117 Posts

Completely free do-it-yourself solution to have both cables plugged in:

Fakenamelmao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fakenamelmao
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts
had this issue as well......you have to buy the offical xbox hdmi cord and it comes with an audio av plug that will fit in with the hdmi at the same time...
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#19 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
A Buffalo g54HP: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Buffalo-Technology-Wireless-G-MIMO-Performance-Ethernet-Converter-WLITX4G54HP/sem/rpsm/oid/162407/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#tabsTimothyB
I love these things! I need some more, but that link doesn't work. :cry: