Buying an Xbox One - Refurbished or Used?

Sn0wGl0be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Sn0wGl0be
Member since 2011 • 81 Posts

Hey guys if you had a choice between buying a Refurbished or Used Xbox One for the same price ($350), which would you go for? I've been looking into this and there seem to be plenty of pros/cons for each.

In my case the seller of the used Xbox One says it's only been used a couple of times (but obviously there's no way of knowing) and it comes with an extra controller and 5 games. The Refurb comes with 3 games (2 are digital) and a one-year warranty.

My guesstimate is that the Refurbished MIGHT be a little more safer since, unlike the 360, it hasn't been out for so long so there's less chance the console was Refurbished from major technical issues. But again there's no way of knowing.

I never bought a Refurbished Xbox (or anything) in my life before so if anyone has, please give your opinion.

Thanks.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

If I was faced with that choice, I would definitely chose the refurbished one - unless I really trusted the seller of the used, and I mean really trusted. It's just not worth taking the risk with an expensive device like that. Also, you do get a warranty with the refurbished one.

I don't know all the details, but I believe refurbished consoles must go through some kind of Quality Assurance testing. I got a refurbished 360 shipped to me by Microsoft years ago when I had a RROD, and since that time, the refurbished console worked fine, and still works today. Good luck

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Refurbished -----> repaired by the manufacturer to almost new condition

Used -----> used, flip a coin

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
@Sn0wGl0be said:

Hey guys if you had a choice between buying a Refurbished or Used Xbox One for the same price ($350), which would you go for? I've been looking into this and there seem to be plenty of pros/cons for each.

Xbone's are already Brand NEW for $350 and they come with a few brand new games, sometimes more. I wouldn't pay $350 for used or refurb anything at that price.

Also, 1 year warranty is a consideration you get with new. I am already using my warranty due to Kinect issues.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Hmm, good question. I do agree with the above statements, although one has to ask can't you get a brand new Xbox One for around that price as @SolidTy has already mentioned? I'm assuming you live in America, if not then I understand where you're coming from (here in Australia they cost around $500+ new). If your situation only allows for a used or refurbished model, I say go the refurbished one because you just don't know how the used seller has treated their console.

Sn0wGl0be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sn0wGl0be

Thanks for the replies guys!

I was considering buying one new but here in Canada they're still around $500 and the cheapest one (the Assassin's Creed bundle minus Kinect) is $400, but out of stock in all stores where I live. I could order one online from either Canada or the U.S but after the shipping and handling, taxes, and exchange rate on our currently dreadful Canadian dollar, the price still ends up around $450-$550.

So I think I'll go with the refurbished model. I was concerned at first since it could have been refurbished from a major problem, but even so you guys are right...There's higher risk with a used console that has no warranty at all and who-knows-what condition it's really in.

Thanks! Free music for all!

--->

Just click the arrow icon pointing down for each song. And yes these are legal btw. :)

https://soundcloud.com/joncjg-420-69

https://soundcloud.com/battlefield_official

https://soundcloud.com/shingo-nakamura-4

https://soundcloud.com/future-unlimited/04-into-the-sun

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Id rather get a refuribished one as long as it comes with a warranty. If you buy a used one off someone then you don't know what your getting in the long run.

jdfan56k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jdfan56k
Member since 2015 • 118 Posts

Refurbished with a warranty. If you're paying that much for something, make sure you know what you're doing.

Sn0wGl0be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sn0wGl0be

@marcheegsr @jdfan56k

Yeah I'll definitely make sure it comes with a warranty. I might even get an extended warranty if the price is reasonable.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

just get a new one, its 350 and comes with some games, and a year warranty, and most likely a month of xbox live. i would never buy a used or refurb console. its just something about opening a brand new game console that brings me back to when i was a kid and opened my sega genesis. fun times.

Avatar image for snapcracklenpop
snapcrackleNpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 snapcrackleNpop
Member since 2015 • 274 Posts

I went used with xbox one so i could create my own bundle and not be tied to what was offered

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Xbox one seems robust. There have not been any RRoD this generation with this Xbox. Nor any faulty power supply/cord as with the first Xbox. Xbox One seems to be without any hardware issues that have plagued the other 2 at their launches. So buying a refurbished Xbox should be O.K. Since Refurbished consoles are cleaned up and tested by the manufacturer to ensure the Xbox one works as intended. Even if you buy a used Xbox one you should be alright.

The safer bet is go with a refurbished Xbox one. Since they are tested to work. Plus even come with a limited warrenty

Avatar image for OniLordAsmodeus
OniLordAsmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OniLordAsmodeus
Member since 2010 • 381 Posts

Whichever one has the best warranty.