Bioware vs. Bethesda: Battle of the western rpg Giants

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 0

#51 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Bioware > Bethesda

WingedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 WingedHero
Member since 2008 • 207 Posts
Bethesda, the games bethesda have are more RPG-like, Oblivion had more quests, DLC and freedom. Like when you get out the sewers you're free to go wherever you want. There are alot more quests in Oblivion. Overall Bethesda wins. BioWare made a great game, but IMO bethesda is the best. In Mass Effect you already know what's gonna happen while in Oblivion you have to keep guessing whats gonna happen.
Avatar image for clarkportmanken
clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 clarkportmanken
Member since 2003 • 1714 Posts
bioware hands down plus theres more variation and variety in there games at least in my opinion. bethesda kind of a one trick pony if u ask me.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
If I had to choose, I'd say Bethesda is better. Fallout 3 is an amazing acheivement.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I enjoy BioWare's games more than Bethesda's. Some comments on both houses' games, in the approximate order in which I played them:

• Baldur's Gate: This is my all-time favorite RPG. I've never played a game that was so epic, yet so personal.
  • Morrowind: This was a really cool RPG experience. This game had so much content, and so many things to do, all while supporting an intriuging plot.
  • Neverwinter Nights: A solid RPG experience, but not truely spectacular in my opinion.
  • Knight of the Old Republic: The best Star Wars gaming experience I'd had since TIE Fighter. A great story with great, memorable characters.
  • Oblivion: Oblivion looked incredible. Like, what the hell, RPGs aren't supposed to look this good! :) There were some flaws with the game, though, that really interfered with my enjoyment of it, most notably the scaling, and the player's lack of responsibility to the narrative. I almost put Oblivion into the action/adventure category more than the RPG genre.
  • Mass Effect: Mass Effect is a game that I had wanted to play for a long, long time. I loved every bit of this game, and the only complaint I have is that there wasn't more of it.

I think BioWare makes RPGs with greater depth, while Bethesda makes one with greater breadth. There is a lot to do in an Elder Scrolls game, to the point that you can easily spend 500 hours in one (which I have, III and IV). BioWare games have a much tighter focus and narrative. You can't do as much in them, but in my opinion, what you do is much more emotionally impacting.

There's also the issue of the characters. Name me some characters from an Elder Scrolls game, besides Vivec, Dagoth Ur, Sheogorath, or one of the Septims. I could come up with a few, but I couldn't tell you a lot about them. (Hell, the most memorable line of all time from any Elder Scrolls game was the Ordinators in Morrowind saying, "Praise Vivec!" and they're generic NPCs.) Oblivion's characters are hardly even characters; they're plot devices, which are slightly more interesting than MMO quest-dispensing terminals.

Compare that to Baldur's Gate, Knights, or Mass Effect, which are full of memorable characters. Minsc has got to be one of the all-time favorite companions in any RPG, and he certainly wasn't the only one I remember fondly from Baldur's Gate. Knights and Mass Effect had a great cast of characters as well, real people, not just plot devices to get you from Point A to Point B. BioWare RPGs also have deep, memorable villians, like Jon Irenicus and Saren.

Anyway, I prefer the tight, personal stories in games like Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, and Mass Effect, so my vote goes to BioWare.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#56 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I would have to go with Bioware on this one. Bethesda always tries to do too much with their games that ends up falling a little flatter than they should. Bioware still bugs me that they 'oursourced' KOTOR2 and it got released unfinished, and Mass Effect was more of a compilation storyline lifted from good Sci-fi books. Each has their negatives that bother me, but I think Bioware does better than Bethesda's usually broken mechanics and AI.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Palantas

Bioware even though the mass effect elavator rides drove me crazy

quader_ac400

Oh come on, would you rather have just stared at a loading screen?

When you say BioWare tend to be weaker from a technical standpoint, I know you're talking about Mass Effect exclusively. NO OTHER BioWare game I've played (and I've played them all!) has had bad technical problems.

Quintinius

I'm not sure he's talking about technical problems there, Quintinius. Both Elder Scrolls III and IV were graphical powerhouses, and redefined what an RPG can look like. BioWare's RPGs have always had good graphics, from the beautiful hand-painted background of Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect's solid presentation (minus the texture pop-in), but never exceptional graphics. So in that sense, Bethesda's games are superior to BioWare's, from a technical standpoint.

Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#58 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts
I go with bioware. I loved oblivion but the story for mass effect was so much better
eXists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#59 eXists
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts
Already replied that it should be Bioware. The best example is Fallout 3, it's exactly the same formula as Oblivion but doesn't work as well, Oblivion was far more entertaining. After finishing the main quest in Fallout 3, I started doing the other quests and just got completely bored. You can't even finish the main quest then continue and see some change in the world either, even Fable 2 lets you go on. The Fallout 3 story is really weak and dry, you don't feel involved at all. I think Bethesda did a poor job with Fallout 3; instead with Mass Effect, Bioware was focusing on innovation not repetition. Still, KOTOR is such an awesome game that by itself puts Bioware on top. Bethesda needs to ramp up its story telling and game mechanics. In addition, Bioware/Drew Karpyshyn is also releasing books about Mass Effect and I've read both so it keeps you connected to the Mass Effect world even after the game is done. My 2 cents.
zintarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#60 zintarr
Member since 2004 • 2212 Posts
Since Bioware is NO LONGER A COMPANY of its own I go with Bethesda on this one. Only time will tell if the division of EA know as Bioware will continue to produce killer games or not.
jmartin1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 jmartin1016
Member since 2003 • 1363 Posts

IMO Bethesda makes better games. Funny really cause from the two developers total I have only played one game that I truely enjoyed. Oblivion. I'm looking foward to playing Fallout 3. I have given up on Bioware completely as I have tried KOTOR, Jade Empire, And Mass Effect for several hour each and did not feel entertained in the least for an instant. I actually went out and bought Mass Effect on launch day I tried so hard to like it, but alas it was not for me.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#62 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
In recent years I'd say Bethesda, but all-time it's Bioware. I liked Oblivion better than anything Bioware's done since KOTOR, but Bioware's got a better all-time list of heavy hitters. Bethesda's getting closer though.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Palantas

Since Bioware is NO LONGER A COMPANY of its own I go with Bethesda on this one. Only time will tell if the division of EA know as Bioware will continue to produce killer games or not.

zintarr

Are you unaware that Bethesda Softworks has a corporate parent in exactly the same manner as BioWare? What's more, this is a red herring. Everyone in this thread has been judging these two development houses on the merits of the games they have produced, not to which megacorporation is wrong.

Ghaora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Ghaora
Member since 2008 • 60 Posts

Bioware gives better stories.

Bethesda gives more freedom.

reo-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#65 reo-117
Member since 2007 • 478 Posts
I love bioware more than Bethesda because I like there really original stories and worlds but i still love bethesda since they make great games too.
Malevescant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Malevescant
Member since 2008 • 891 Posts
Initially I would have said Bioware without a doubt but Fallout 3 is making me rethink that conclusion.
brad52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67 brad52
Member since 2004 • 269 Posts
bethesda is better. what's the last good game bioware made? jade empire? mass effect was too buggy,glitchy, techical issues. oblivion is in my top 3 favortie games of the 360. I haven't tried fallout 3 ,but i heard it's amazing and plan to play it later on.
sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 sunnystarz
Member since 2007 • 1536 Posts
bioware made kotor, so, i would say bioware...
sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 sunnystarz
Member since 2007 • 1536 Posts

[QUOTE="zintarr"]

Palantas

Are you unaware that Bethesda Softworks has a corporate parent in exactly the same manner as BioWare? What's more, this is a red herring. Everyone in this thread has been judging these two development houses on the merits of the games they have produced, not to which megacorporation is wrong.

This is true, but EA has been known to ruin a good franchise. bethesda has been doing their own things for awhile now.
LostSoul781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LostSoul781
Member since 2003 • 1630 Posts
The only game I like a lot from Bethesda is Fallout 3, so I say Bioware.
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

• Neverwinter Nights: A solid RPG experience, but not truely spectacular in my opinion.

Palantas

Are you judging this based on the packaged content? In that respect, I would agree, but NWN was like the Little Big Planet of RPGs. From the beginning NWN was intended to be an experience revolving around user-created modules. In that regard, I feel it was one of Bioware's biggest successes. Sure, the packaged campaigns are pretty bland, but there are some fantastic modules out there with storylines and gameplay experiences rivaling retail titles.

Star-Killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Star-Killer
Member since 2008 • 1883 Posts
So have we agreed that Bioware won this one
panarican4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 panarican4life
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I'm going to have to go with Bioware on this one...storytelling is amazing
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Palantas

Are you judging this based on the packaged content? In that respect, I would agree, but NWN was like the Little Big Planet of RPGs. From the beginning NWN was intended to be an experience revolving around user-created modules. In that regard, I feel it was one of Bioware's biggest successes. Sure, the packaged campaigns are pretty bland, but there are some fantastic modules out there with storylines and gameplay experiences rivaling retail titles.

Ish_basic

Yes, I'm judging it based off the official campaign. I know there's a lot of user-created content for the game. I played an Eye of the Beholder module, which was an interesting experience.

elmirico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 elmirico
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I prefer Bioware. Not only do I find their storylines to be better. I believe they make the better games. Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect were great games. I haven't been impressed with anything Bethesda has developed.SavoyPrime
Lock yourself in a basement and starve yourself to death. Im a fan of both actually but saying youve not been impressed by anything bethesda made is just pure blasphemy, hast thou not played Morrowind? hast thou not enjoyed Oblivion? :P i played Neverwinter Nights years ago (nostalgy (l)) strangely no one mentions it.. i got totally addicted to morrowind and oblivion was just Heaven i picked up DA: Origins not long ago and i love it but morrowind and oblivion are some of the best titles ever made
elmirico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 elmirico
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

So have we agreed that Bioware won this oneStar-Killer

No we have not

Kinda arrogant to just ''conclude'' it like that, if youre a Bioware supporter just say so

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#78 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I am going with Bethesda. More content and more buck for your money. More headaches as well with all the bugs and glitches...

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
no contest its gotta be bioware, deeper stories, better characters and gameplay, better visuals, better lore, no way is bethesda better. They simply offer you open worlds and drop you in the middle of them, here you go now go do what you want, with poor stories and voice acting. Oblivion was a solid game, but graphics were terrible, story was bland and it got old after closing like your 10th oblivion gate, fallout 3 was another solid, but not amazing game that had a terrible ending and felt mumbled jumbled. Bioware's games are epic and you can really connect with the characters on a deeper level and you shape the world around you with your choices
tomrocks666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 tomrocks666
Member since 2005 • 3569 Posts

this is rediculously old thread but i guess its relevant with mass effect 3 and skyrim on the horizon. ive played alot more bioware games but i love the open world aspect to TES, its like you have a seperate life which is why its so addictive

Black_Trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Black_Trace
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Both companies are really good at what they do and that is make really different RPG experience's. That being said One of the most important aspects of a game for me is a deep complex story with strong characters. Thats why my vote goes to Bioware. I will forever love Dragon Age Origins.
Avatar image for Residentevil999
Residentevil999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82 Residentevil999
Member since 2005 • 948 Posts

I'm on team Bioware.

Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff Bethesda has put out. But a lot of Biowares games end up being on my list of favorites after playing them.