Arcade, Pro or Elite?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Link5687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Link5687
Member since 2005 • 1589 Posts

My Xbox 360 just got the Red Ring of Death for the 4th time. My warranty expired in August of last year so Microsoft wants to charge me $100 to get another broken Xbox. To have to pay $100 I would rather buy a brand new console....but which package do I buy?

Arcade, Pro or Elite?

Does anyone know if a certain model has a lower failure rate than others? Or if the value for what you get simply makes more sense for one over the others.

Mobius8041

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Mobius8041
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I think it all depends on how much you use your 360. If you tend to download movies, videos, additional content etc. a lot, the Elite is probably the best choice. With a 120 GB hard drive and relatively new technical specs it won't fail as much on you. The new 60 GB Pro isn't a bad choice either if you want to save a little cash. I'd stray away from the Arcade since those don't use the newest technical specs and you'd need to keep buying memory cards if you want to download lots of extra stuff.
Justinge3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Justinge3
Member since 2008 • 2506 Posts
well you already have a harddrive then go with the arcade. DO NOT listen to the above poster, the arcade does have the jasper chip which prevents rrod.
bobdood99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bobdood99
Member since 2007 • 1862 Posts
i got arcade and have never had a prob.... but buy a hdd instead of stupid memory cards
Justinge3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Justinge3
Member since 2008 • 2506 Posts
i got arcade and have never had a prob.... but buy a hdd instead of stupid memory cardsbobdood99
He already had an HDD, just because his 360 rroded doesnt mean he cant keep his old one.
Link5687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Link5687
Does the Arcade model have the HDMI port? My original xbox never did and either did any of the 4 refurbished ones I got when they kept on failing.
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts
Does the Arcade model have the HDMI port? My original xbox never did and either did any of the 4 refurbished ones I got when they kept on failing.Link5687
new arcades DO have a hdmi port im not sure about pros/elites, but i do know that almost all new arcades have the newest chipset, jasper, obviously meaning the most stable so i'd say arcade is the way to go, especially assuming you already have a hdd
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
every model is the same it's just the stuff comes with it . u want a new harddrive or not ? thats the question if not then get arcade and put your old one on it. if so get 60gb but this what i would do if u really want a new one get the old one fixed for 100 bucks with that u get brand new warrenty then sell it on ebay with the ol,d hard drive afther u switch everythign with the cable that microsoft will send if u ask sell on ebay with a controllor harddrive u egt at lest 150 for it and at lest u have 50 bucks or so and u tell them it has new warranty and it just got fixed it even make the price go higher then an old one that still worlking that hasnt failed yet
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
once i have some money ima sell my pro and buy an elite, if u have the disposible income its the best option
Link5687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Link5687

Why do you believe the Elite is the best option?

The money is not really the issue, but I do not like spending it when it makes sense not to. I could easily just get the arcade and throw my HDD onto it but I am trying to decide if there is any real reason to spend the extra cash and upgrade to the Pro or Elite.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

The money is not really the issue, but I do not like spending it when it makes sense not to. I could easily just get the arcade and throw my HDD onto it but I am trying to decide if there is any real reason to spend the extra cash and upgrade to the Pro or Elite.

Link5687

If you already have an HDD there's really no reason to spend more cash on the more "advanced" models. It has everything you need.

Ballsoffire64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ballsoffire64
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

All arcades have the new jasper chips in them which makes the less prone to overheating,plus theh have an hdmi out too like the elite.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
RROD has a 3 year warranty, so its likely that you're still covered. If this is your 4th for RROD then its highly unlikely you have had this one for more than 3 years, as the first 3 would have had to have all died within 6 months of the 360 launching. If you are set on buying a new 360, then internally they are all the same. If you want to keep your existing HDD, then the Arcade is the cheapest way to get playing again - just put your HDD on top and start playing. Might need to run the Licence DRM tool to get your content to work offline, but thats it. If you want a bigger HDD then that is the only other deciding factor. Personally I think the new 60GB Pro has enough space for anything you could need, and the 120GB Elite just has an excess of space you will never use (unless you get particularly lazy and never delete anything).
RD1109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 RD1109
Member since 2008 • 558 Posts
They all have the same failure rate, but I suggest if you have the cash to get the Elite console. I have the Pro console and after about two years I had downloaded so much stuff I had to delete things off my hard drive to download more stuff... lol. I still have the Pro model, but I upgraded to a 120GB Hard Drive. So my opinion is to get the new Pro model with a 60GB HDD, or to get the Elite.
RD1109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 RD1109
Member since 2008 • 558 Posts
[QUOTE="Link5687"]

Epak_

If you already have an HDD there's really no reason to spend more cash on the more "advanced" models. It has everything you need.

Haha, I guess I should've read more... Dude if you already have an HDD, then just get the arcade console and slap on the HDD.

JamesKim1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JamesKim1972
Member since 2004 • 41 Posts

My Xbox 360 just got the Red Ring of Death for the 4th time. My warranty expired in August of last year so Microsoft wants to charge me $100 to get another broken Xbox. To have to pay $100 I would rather buy a brand new console....but which package do I buy?

Arcade, Pro or Elite?

Does anyone know if a certain model has a lower failure rate than others? Or if the value for what you get simply makes more sense for one over the others.

Link5687

This is the reason why xbox thinks they're selling soooo much more that the PS3. Well, fanboy aside.

I believe the newer xbox these days have the cooler nanochips and that extra heatsink branching off the GPU. Some models have a different bigger CPU heatsink.

My 360 has the bigger heatsink. I bought the Pro model with the HDMI off amazon.

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts
Arcade is BY FAR the best deal right now, because you can buy a HDD from Microsoft for $30 in the "memory upgrade" program, making the arcade 229 with a hard drive.
BiThBhE0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BiThBhE0
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts
Get a Jasper model. Here's how to tell the difference. LINK
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
i say just get the arcade save yourself some money $$$$$$$$$$$
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Arcade is BY FAR the best deal right now, because you can buy a HDD from Microsoft for $30 in the "memory upgrade" program, making the arcade 229 with a hard drive.Andrew_Xavier

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/hardware/memoryupdate/default.htm

I think they don't have that option for the 20GB HDD anymore :(

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts
Arcade
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

I think Arcade is the best option for people who don't mind price shopping and getting different parts from different places. Plus, you already have cables and a HDD, you don't need a second one. Plus, i'm 100% sure that all arcades with internal memory (the only type that they make now) are the latest GPU and CPU.

skemaal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 skemaal
Member since 2005 • 1128 Posts

I'm going to be a first time 360 buyer soon (as soon as I find a Jasper unit).

I think I'm going to go with an arcade model as well. I don't plan to go online with it (no consoles are wi-fi anyways) since I have a ps3 as well and I download demos through that (obviously can't with XB exclusive but I'm cool with that). Since it has an hdmi port, I'll just use the one I have for my ps3 as well.

The only thing I wonder is gaming without a hard drive. I checked a game like Gears of War 2 and it says it requires 10mb for saving. With 256mb I should be ok (I don't play that many games at the same time). However, does having a hard drive quickens loading times and if so how much faster? So for someone who is currently thinking of playing offline only, is a hdd worth it? This sentiment may change in the long run but theres always ebay after that...

CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#24 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
To determine which console version to buy, please use the stickied Recommendation thread. Thanks!