Alan Wake curiosity

This topic is locked from further discussion.

got_ice_tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 got_ice_tea
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

Hello I am interested in this game but I cannot get my head around it I don't understand the point of it is it like silent hill? if you have played it id like a little info please I was also thinking would it be good to read the novel before playing the game also id like to know stuff like. How long it is. Is it a really slow paced game the whole way thru so on :)

mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mattg90520
Member since 2006 • 3115 Posts
youre a writer. you go kinda crazy. the town, located somewhere in the washington state area, is full of mysterious happenings. dark forces are after you. your only weapon is light. use it. the end. see also: twin peaks (tv series)
got_ice_tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 got_ice_tea
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

so what he has writen comes true

Avatar image for looseyourself87
looseyourself87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 looseyourself87
Member since 2004 • 307 Posts

Well it's not really as simple as "what he wrote comes true"... i'm playing it right now. It's more like he starts finding manuscripts scattered around the town. The manuscripts are of a story which is coming true and the coverpage is ....by alan wake but he doesn't remember writing it. the rest u find out wen u get it because i don't wanna spoil it. It is simply awesum. Light is ur advantage bt u have good gunplay and flares, flashbangs etc. gameplay is in no way close to slow. gameplay is pretty decent and will definitely scare the hell out of anybody... the sudden trills r awesum. the environment and sound make it a perfect set up for a horror story.. basically u feel like ur watching a movie.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

Well it's not really as simple as "what he wrote comes true"... i'm playing it right now. It's more like he starts finding manuscripts scattered around the town. The manuscripts are of a story which is coming true and the coverpage is ....by alan wake but he doesn't remember writing it. the rest u find out wen u get it because i don't wanna spoil it. It is simply awesum. Light is ur advantage bt u have good gunplay and flares, flashbangs etc. gameplay is in no way close to slow. gameplay is pretty decent and will definitely scare the hell out of anybody... the sudden trills r awesum. the environment and sound make it a perfect set up for a horror story.. basically u feel like ur watching a movie.

looseyourself87
How are you playing it if it isn't out yet? :/
__-Vickfan4-__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 __-Vickfan4-__
Member since 2006 • 598 Posts

I use to work for a mom and pop game shop they always sold games like a week early.

Avatar image for looseyourself87
looseyourself87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 looseyourself87
Member since 2004 • 307 Posts

[QUOTE="looseyourself87"]

Snipes_2

one of my friends has a modded 360. He always gets the games from torrent sites 1 or 2 weeks before release i dont know how. I was surprised when he got modern warfare 2 two weeks before release... -_-

StarWatchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 StarWatchers
Member since 2006 • 143 Posts
I had completed it twice by sunday.. it's a good experience to play and get into but dont expect the thrills to last forever.. I don't think it was ever really scary, I wasnt afraid because i knew exactly how to deal with the taken which are really quite simple creatures to handle.. Nightmare mode wasnt even hard as I managed to get the gunless wonder achievement (get to caldron lake in episode 6 without firing a single shot) the game is roughly 5 to 6 hours but thats if your just rushing through it. 7 to 9 hours if you do some exploring... the hidden items add the extra replay value but after my 2nd playthrough im missing about 10 things out of 264 (100 coffee thermos, 109 manuscript pages, 25 sign locations, 30 hidden containers) there are TV and radio stations to find but you will probably have them all in the first playthrough as they are simple to not miss. was alan wake worth the wait... not really, I played through the game and wondered how this took 6 years to produce because I have seen better titles with half of the development time. You should buy it if you want something to enjoy, just dont expect it to be the amazing masterpeiece that it should have been.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
deactivated-5c23908d36a7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

Do not get it. It is just like Alone in the dark but worse

Hells_rebelion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Hells_rebelion
Member since 2003 • 2957 Posts
Bullcrap, False statement! It's a great game, nothing like alone in the dark.
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

Hello I am interested in this game but I cannot get my head around it I don't understand the point of it is it like silent hill? if you have played it id like a little info please I was also thinking would it be good to read the novel before playing the game also id like to know stuff like. How long it is. Is it a really slow paced game the whole way thru so on :)

got_ice_tea

I bought the Limited Edition today (with the book, soundtrack, DLC code, themes and dev team videos). During the first hour I was debating whether it was worth the £50 ($71) I spent. Three or so hours in - and I can't put it down. The story really takes off after the first hour, it gives you the sense that you're watching a movie.

The basic plot is that Alan Wake is a successfuly author, who has had writer's block for the past two years. Upon arriving at Bright Falls for a vacation, something happens (I won't say what because it spoils it) and Alan wakes up in a smashed car in the forest, he's lost his memory of the pas tweek. You set out to try and discover what happened. While trecking through the forest (as you will for 70% of the time) you encounter residents of the town who have been overrun by "dark forces" and are now enemies, using axes and the like to kill you. However, you quickly come across pages of a manuscript (these are found while you move throughout the game) of a story that tells of events that are happening to you now - or events that will happen to you. You are named as the author on the manuscript, and soon the law is on to stop you (as it is your story that is the cause of these "dark forces"). However, you do not remember writing the story - as this is seemingly one which you wrote during the week you were blacked out.

The story telling is really good, like I said, it's got a real movie quality about it. Go buy it. It's kinda like a mix between Half Life, Max Payne and Silent Hill.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
deactivated-5c23908d36a7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

Bullcrap, False statement! It's a great game, nothing like alone in the dark.Hells_rebelion

Bull crap that's my opinion

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="looseyourself87"]

looseyourself87

one of my friends has a modded 360. He always gets the games from torrent sites 1 or 2 weeks before release i dont know how. I was surprised when he got modern warfare 2 two weeks before release... -_-

Well, That's not cool.
jonnymcl2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jonnymcl2k
Member since 2004 • 1604 Posts
[QUOTE="looseyourself87"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] How are you playing it if it isn't out yet? :/Snipes_2

Well, That's not cool.

It's also already out in the UK. It's a great game, maybe a bit on the short side but the story and the way it is told are worth it on there own, the combat is pretty original and fun as well.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

[QUOTE="Hells_rebelion"]Bullcrap, False statement! It's a great game, nothing like alone in the dark.NevecLP

Bull crap that's my opinion

Actually, he's right. If Alan Wake is like Alone in the Dark then Modern Warfare 2 is like Dragon Age.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Can't wait to get this game 2morrow.
Axemahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Axemahn
Member since 2010 • 45 Posts

everyone should get this game. the storytelling is fantastic

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

well i bought RDR today and im probably gonna get his Alan wake this weekend so im still excited but im not exactly dying for it anymore. It may be short but im def the type of gamer who 100%s stuff and Alan Wake is the type of game that ill play through at least 2 or 3 times to get everything. So its worth it to me.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#20 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I got Alan Wake at a midnight launch at Gamestop last night and I'm enjoying it. It's marketed as a "psychological action thriller" and has those elements in it. It's also got the flavor of survival horror. It's pretty cool.

Tripleseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tripleseed
Member since 2009 • 411 Posts

Do not get it. It is just like Alone in the dark but worse

NevecLP

Good God...How is it worse than a broken game?! I'm calling you out, troll!

gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

its really good, incredibly atmospheric with a very good story and awesome sound, graphics are the best on the 360 yet baring a few blurry textures

get it! I have one and a half episodes left which I will complete tonight when its dark and moody