• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

opiep333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 opiep333
Member since 2003 • 414 Posts

this story is about a close friend of mine. this is not a personal experience.

so a few months ago, my friend and are are racing on burnout via live, and he disconnects. I call him up and harass him for quitting when i was winning. He informs me that his game is scratched. So he takes it back, has to buy a new copy. We are playing again, and once more it disconnects. He says screw this and isnt gonna buy another copy.

He calls up MS thinking something is wrong, and they say its cause his sub is too close to his 360 and its shaking the disc. He takes his 360 downstairs cause he is moving his room to the basement. Madden is now scratched (no it was not in the 360 when he carried it).

HE takes his 360 back to where he purchased it and the guy tells him he will ship it back to MS for free and get it repaired/replaced.

about a month passes and he thinks, my 360 should be coming back soon... He goes to the shop to find no one there. THe store has moved. All his contacts are disconnected, the mall has no info as to where he went and MS has no record of recieving the 360. The police wont deal with it because he gave him the 360 willingly, so its not a robbery.

My mom works for the better business beareu and said that there are 3 other complaints of the exact same thing happening.

Now my friend is 360-less and down over 500 dollars.

what a tragedy.

fore_runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 fore_runner
Member since 2004 • 8704 Posts
That sucks...don't know what else to say.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11985 Posts

so a few months ago, my friend and are are racing on burnout via live, and he disconnects. I call him up and harass him for quitting when i was winning. He informs me that his game is scratched. So he takes it back, has to buy a new copy. We are playing again, and once more it disconnects. He says screw this and isnt gonna buy another copy.

He calls up MS thinking something is wrong, and they say its cause his sub is too close to his 360 and its shaking the disc. He takes his 360 downstairs cause he is moving his room to the basement. Madden is now scratched (no it was not in the 360 when he carried it).

HE takes his 360 back to where he purchased it and the guy tells him he will ship it back to MS for free and get it repaired/replaced.

about a month passes and he thinks, my 360 should be coming back soon... He goes to the shop to find no one there. THe store has moved. All his contacts are disconnected, the mall has no info as to where he went and MS has no record of recieving the 360. The police wont deal with it because he gave him the 360 willingly, so its not a robbery.

My mom works for the better business beareu and said that there are 3 other complaints of the exact same thing happening.

what a tragedy.

opiep333
could be worse, could've been me
C0nky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 C0nky
Member since 2006 • 40 Posts
Whoa, that sucks big time. But the 3 other complaints have to be a coincidence. I mean, that's a pretty big "scam" to have. Open up a shop and close it down just to make 500 bucks? It's probably just bad luck, not a scam.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
Wow, that is really unlucky. I'm sorry to hear that.
mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

what a tragedy.

opiep333

What's wrong with the police officers? Doesn't make sense. Just because he gave it too them doesn't justify the fact that it was handed to them, your friend EXPECTED IT BACK. That's like me borrowing your car for a day and not giving it back-- thats Grand Theft Auto. Now one you could be lieing, or two the cops down there have no understanding of the law. 

Haphilli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Haphilli
Member since 2005 • 1023 Posts
I was waiting for...."and then he died."
opiep333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 opiep333
[QUOTE="opiep333"]

what a tragedy.

mjf249

What's wrong with the police officers? Doesn't make sense. Just because he gave it too them doesn't justify the fact that it was handed to them, your friend EXPECTED IT BACK. That's like me borrowing your car for a day and not giving it back-- thats Grand Theft Auto. Now one you could be lieing, or two the cops down there have no understanding of the law.

why would you accuse me of lying? honestly...
mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mjf249
[QUOTE="mjf249"][QUOTE="opiep333"]

what a tragedy.

opiep333

Because, that's still stolen property. Like I said before, if you let me borrow your car and I told you I'd bring it back to you later in the day and never did, the cops would do something about that-- thats robbery. They aren't just going to tell you "Oh well you gave it to them". Your claim is seriously flawed if the cops won't do anything about it.

Perhaps they just don't care-- but you'd think they'd try to do something about it to an extent.

slapshakle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 slapshakle
Member since 2004 • 4410 Posts

could be worse, could've been megatsbythepig

Harsh but funny.

Yeah, that really sucks for your friend.

opiep333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 opiep333

Because, that's still stolen property. Like I said before, if you let me borrow your car and I told you I'd bring it back to you later in the day and never did, the cops would do something about that-- thats robbery. They aren't just going to tell you "Oh well you gave it to them". Your claim is seriously flawed if the cops won't do anything about it.

Perhaps they just don't care-- but you'd think they'd try to do something about it to an extent.

its westside columbus police. they have bigger things than a 17 year olds 360. Is it wrong, yes. But thats what they told him.
mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mjf249
opiep333

its westside columbus police. they have bigger things than a 17 year olds 360. Is it wrong, yes. But thats what they told him.

Your cops are messed up.

opiep333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 opiep333
basically, if its not drugs, murder or speeding...cops here dont do anything. We had a painter steal 500 dollars from my dads dresser last summer and they said they cant do anything cause we have no proof. they dont do anything unless you have like video evidence of it.
alsha3er78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 alsha3er78
Member since 2005 • 812 Posts
it sucks but it is not a tragedy. if the 360 fell on your friend's head and split it open i would say that's a tragedy.
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Every police officer in the world is not cool, i'm sorry to inform you.

I've had a detective tell me before that he wouldn't look into something for me that was a crime. After explaining to him the situation which we both agreed was fraud and scam thereby a legal crime that cost me $550.00. The conversation went something like this:

Detective: "well let me put it this way, we currently have 71 open cases already".

Me: "Sorry, but it sounds like I'm getting the runaround here, I had a crime commited against me and I need to have it looked into"

....Sidenote - the law states I have 3 days or something stupid like that to right this wrong or it's no longer a crime were I can recover my money. I had all the information on the people including store they worked for, license plate, names. All they had to do was call.

Detective: "well basically I am giving you the run around" 

Me: "So you're basically telling me you're not going to do anything about it?"

Detective:  "No, why don't you try one of regular officers"

Me: "I have talked to your regular officers, filed a complaint, talked to the sargent on duty, and then the next morning spoke with another officer. All of them have directed me to you. They all said it's a crime that would be handled by a detective, they then gave me your name and number is how I got it".

Detective: "sorry I can't help you, I'd just let it go and learn from it".

Me: "Wow, so I have had a crime commited against me and I'm being told by a detective to just let it go. Please don't be offended but what happened to "serve and protect". If I were to take matters into my own hands you'de be at my doorstep arresting me in a heartbeat".

Detective: "probably. But again, I can't help you"

Me: "ok bye" and I hung up.

Very true story here. And in my personal opinion doesn't give me much confidence in our local police.

I believe what the TC posted can and probably did happen as stated. That sucks.

opiep333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 opiep333
rgsniper...what actually happened to you?
C0nky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 C0nky
Member since 2006 • 40 Posts

it sucks but it is not a tragedy. if the 360 fell on your friend's head and split it open i would say that's a tragedy.alsha3er78

Split open the 360 or his friends head?

jp023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jp023
Member since 2005 • 74 Posts
I was waiting for...."and then he died."Haphilli
HAHA.... yea me too! haha, but yea this is a sad story.
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rgsniper1

rgsniper...what actually happened to you?opiep333

I'd love to tell you, but it's so embarrassing that I got scammed I'm afraid I could never come back to the forums. Trust me, I went around calling myself a tool for about the next two months.  

opiep333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 opiep333

[QUOTE="opiep333"]rgsniper...what actually happened to you?rgsniper1

I'd love to tell you, but it's so embarrassing that I got scammed I'm afraid I could never come back to the forums. Trust me, I went around calling myself a tool for about the next two months.

i got suspended a few years ago cause i crapped my pants and left school. So i got 3 days out for truency. if you cant tell me now...
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rgsniper1
[QUOTE="rgsniper1"]

[QUOTE="opiep333"]rgsniper...what actually happened to you?opiep333

i got suspended a few years ago cause i crapped my pants and left school. So i got 3 days out for truency. if you cant tell me now...

I would never admit that on a forum. But to each there own.

Lets make mine simple to save embarrasment. I got scammed by a store that was selling for a very very good price and using a very high profile magazine to push there goods. They were misrepresenting the quality and build of there products with all types of lies and comparisons. I later found out that the store didn't actually sell anything at all at regular price and that they paid to sneak actual junk products into a national high profile magazine (10 page spread). The magazine later apoligized and said no one would use our magazine to decide whether they should or should not buy this product so there should be no harm done. Then there forums flooded with people who got burned for as much and a whole lot more than I did because we trusted in them being a quality source that told the truth. They acknolwedged that said product was junk at that point and had no business being in there magazine. There's more to the story but I have to save a little face here.

Man now I remembering that very bad part of my life. The story I told doesn't sound "that" bad. If I told the rest of it, well yeah... That's all you're getting from me. 

opiep333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 opiep333
did your dick end up falling off? cause that would be terrible. But that sucks. Getting scammed/robbed is the worst. It makes you feel like such a chump and you 2nd guess your opinion about everyone. I got 85 bucks stolen at a party once when i was passed out and no one ever admitted to it. I dont talk to most of the kids that were there anymore cause i cant trust them. But some of my friends each chipped in 5-10 to pay me back cause it was money for my moms bday.
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rgsniper1
I'll take this to a PM as we are hijacking the TC's topic.
zerosolja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zerosolja
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
Wow that hurts bro, id probly go nuts and walk into the mall with a 38 spl., 12ga, and an m4 with fully loaded mags, i feel for ya man
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rgsniper1

LOL, wow i'm such a tool again. You are the topic creator.....

lol.. I'm an idiot.

edit... I was going to delete my post right before this as it portrays me as chrissy from threes company. But it's just so stupid of me and therefor funny I can't bring myself to do it. 

opiep333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 opiep333
Wow that hurts bro, id probly go nuts and walk into the mall with a 38 spl., 12ga, and an m4 with fully loaded mags, i feel for ya manzerosolja
It didnt happen to me...feel for my friend. and for sniper...lol. its cool. hardly anyone else is reading this anyways.
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rgsniper1

Hey if you can't laugh at yourself.....

Anyway, yeah it makes you rethink trusting people. Again I feel for your friend. 

killercuts3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 killercuts3
Member since 2003 • 3355 Posts

Moral of the story: If you got beef with a retailer, give them an xbox 360.

zerosolja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 zerosolja
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
There is always going to people out there to scam you like that. Thta's why you can never trust anyone, but that will help you to be more careful. But anyways take care guys
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
Thing along the same lines happened to my friend. He preordered his PSP and about 4 games for it at a Funcoland at the mall we go to. Place closed, didn't call him or anything. But then he raised hell and threatened to sue. :D
thecrazykevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thecrazykevy
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I would never admit that on a forum. But to each there own.

Lets make mine simple to save embarrasment. I got scammed by a store that was selling for a very very good price and using a very high profile magazine to push there goods. They were misrepresenting the quality and build of there products with all types of lies and comparisons. I later found out that the store didn't actually sell anything at all at regular price and that they paid to sneak actual junk products into a national high profile magazine (10 page spread). The magazine later apoligized and said no one would use our magazine to decide whether they should or should not buy this product so there should be no harm done. Then there forums flooded with people who got burned for as much and a whole lot more than I did because we trusted in them being a quality source that told the truth. They acknolwedged that said product was junk at that point and had no business being in there magazine. There's more to the story but I have to save a little face here.

rgsniper1

Did you fall for one of those "white van speakers scam" ?

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rgsniper1

There is always going to people out there to scam you like that. Thta's why you can never trust anyone, but that will help you to be more careful. But anyways take care guyszerosolja

The really sad thing about that is that I was very careful. I asked all the right questions and even told them that there deal sounded to good to be true and even mentioned in joking something like "this must be a scam". Honestly I was very very careful. If I told the rest of the story, which I wont (and I'm sorry for teasing) you'de better understand just how careful I was. 

Anyway, I think I'm out for the night. For the TC, tell your friend to at least know it happens to all kinds of people and happens a lot. It sucks what happened to him, but to find a way to get past it and forget about it as it sounds like there's nothing he can do. I know that's what I ended up doing. Later.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rgsniper1
[QUOTE="rgsniper1"]I would never admit that on a forum. But to each there own.

thecrazykevy

Did you fall for one of those "white van speakers scam" ?

Lets just say very very close. After researching on my situation extensively I can say I came across that topic many times. The big difference here is that this place had an actual location. But very good guess.

edit... if you're familier with that than you'll understand what happened to me more or less. 

Avatar image for PotatoSandWitch
PotatoSandWitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 PotatoSandWitch
Member since 2007 • 843 Posts
I was waiting for...."and then he died."Haphilli
me too. the whole story sounded like in the next paragraph his friend would die. what a shame.
macrotronics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 macrotronics
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

what was the name of the store? or was it like a small electronic stall in the mall?

murt

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
hope your friend gets everything straightened out
Avatar image for M-e-t-h-o-d-206
M-e-t-h-o-d-206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 M-e-t-h-o-d-206
Member since 2006 • 1986 Posts
Hello Elite lol
Sheepdog1744

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sheepdog1744
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts
While it is definitely true that there are lazy police officers it is also true that many have impossible caseloads to resolve. That doesn't make you any less of a victim and it doesn't mean you aren't entitled to get your money back or have the criminal punished, but if the next case file is ol' granny who got pilfered out of her $100,000.00 nest egg your case is suddenly not all that important. It sucks but the police will never get ahead of the crime rate, they're always playing catch up.
sauska_sun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 sauska_sun
Member since 2006 • 694 Posts

what a tragedy.

opiep333
that sucks
Sheepdog1744

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sheepdog1744
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts
And oh yeah, this started with the story about the guy who took his 360 in to be repaired and then it, along with the store, disappeared. I don't know exactly what the cops told him but it doesn't sound like a CRIMINAL matter it sounds like a CIVIL matter (cops for the most part can't act in civil disputes in my state). He willingly gave his property to the guy he bought it from and the guy ended up packing up his store. It isn't a grand criminal conspiracy its bad business, which makes it a civil dipute. If your neighbor tresspasses into your home and steals your stereo its a burglary, a criminal matter. If you claim your neighbor's tree is inside your property line that isn't a crime, its a civil dispute (which also means your neighbor can't go to jail for it). Its understandably hard for most people to understand and accept the difference. People want the cops to show up and instantly solve their problems and when they can't  the victim sometimes has selective hearing (or maybe the officer didn't take the time to explain it). A comprehensive explanation as to why the police can't help you gets lost and the victim just hears "sorry about your luck, I have coffee to drink." I've been a victim too and it stinks, but the police can't fix everything. And yes, I'm a cop.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

Back in the day when I was in to Magic: the Gathering, I wanted to make some trades with a store owner in a strip mall, he asked me to leave my cards so he could "price them" and told me I could come back later. Needless to say, I walked out of there (cards in hand) and never went back.

Don't trust people you don't eat and drink with. If you do not sit down and eat lunch or drink beer with a person on a regular basis, they are not someone you let touch your stuff, period. Never loan your friends money unless you don't mind giving it to them freely, don't buy your girlfriend feminine products, and buy your books with cash.

Sorry about your friends 360, without any kind of documentation he is absolutely screwed, and if the place went out of business, even if you can track down the owner, you might not be able to get anything (again lack of documentation, out of business - "I've never seen this guy and I'm broke...") 

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rgsniper1

While it is definitely true that there are lazy police officers it is also true that many have impossible caseloads to resolve. That doesn't make you any less of a victim and it doesn't mean you aren't entitled to get your money back or have the criminal punished, but if the next case file is ol' granny who got pilfered out of her $100,000.00 nest egg your case is suddenly not all that important. It sucks but the police will never get ahead of the crime rate, they're always playing catch up.cgoodman

Macro - I'll give you this much, it's an Electronics store near Livonia (detroit) Michigan. If they are still around that is.  It's been a while since my situation happened. 

cgoodman - while I agree with you, I also believe you agree with me in saying. As a person that has had a crime commited against them I don't really care how many cases they have. If they don't have enough people to work them, then the guy or his boss or his bosses boss should do his job and continually petition for more detectives. Otherwise it's absurd to ever here "don't take the law into your own hands" unless they add this to the end "don't take the law into your own hands, unless the cops are to busy and blow you off, at which point you're good". I understand the guy appeared overworked, but as you said it doesn't help me out in my situation. The only thing that doesn't sit well with me is that this detective wouldn't have to scoure the city or do much real detective work as the general information was ready to be handed to him by me including all the identification information he'd need. Basically he'd just have to make a phone call or go to the location to do most of the case immediately. Anyway, that's my story.

w00tcolors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 w00tcolors
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts
Ouch, thats a tough situation. Unfortunately there is no way to get out of this one but I seriously think that store should be ashamed of themselves. They really messed up there. Lets hope that he gets a new 360.
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
[QUOTE="opiep333"][QUOTE="mjf249"][QUOTE="opiep333"]

what a tragedy.

mjf249

you are absolutely right.
Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#47 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts
hahaha. that suuuuucks.
FEARowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 FEARowns
Member since 2005 • 753 Posts
Yeah i got F***ed bad about a year ago...just not from a 360. I dont ever speak of what happened to me...Its a "lesson learned" thing but I felt like such an idiot I just ugh...anyway, the first bad thing about my story is I was deeply into WoW at the time. Thats enough reason for me to kick myself in the a** anyway....well here goes...
I was in a huge guild at the time. We were going through BWL (dungeon) fairly quickly, and had entered into AQ40 through the first couple bosses. Anyway, I was one of the rogue officers and my friend who I had played with from the beginning was kind of like my partner in crime. He and I were two of the best rogues in the guild and we always were doing stuff together. We were tight (I guess as close as you can get through a video game). So, you get the point...we were friends.
Anyway, he messages me in-game and tells me to get in a private channel on vent because he wanted to ask me something. So, he starts telling me about this guy at the high school he went to (he had graduated so they didnt go to the same college) who was selling this crazy unbelievably geared rogue for about 250 bucks and he wants my advice on rather he should buy it or not. Of course I said no...thats ridiculous to pay that much money on a video game character. He asked me to go look at the rogue at least so we went and checked it out on a different server. Indeed it was a full tier 2 rogue with a bunch of aq40 gear and full epic pvp armor. My friend only had 2 peices of tier 2 and I had 4...but still, I told him just to wait and over time he can get full tier 2 if tries hard. But...he persisted and really wanted to get it so he went to go pay the guy over paypal...but he didn't have a paypal account so he asked me if he could use mine but use his credit card to pay for it. I told him no because I wouldn't even let my best friend who I knew in person use it. But, he told me not to worry because you can use credit cards through any paypal account you just have to be verified. So, after like an hour of debating I finally let him use it because I knew him for almost 2 years and knew he was legit and cool. 
He f-ed up big time.
I had my bank account directly wired into my paypal account....he went in there and didn't even use his credit card....he used money that I didn't have from my bank account. I had just cleaned out my bank account a few days before to buy a tv and I hadn't gotten paid yet. So, that little douchebag paid with 250 bucks that didn't exist in my bank account so i was -$250 dollars in the hole...plus over-draft charges. I started yelling at him and swearing and he was like "NO!! Omg...did I really just do that!?!" He was freaking out and was like "hold on I'm gonna go figure something out. He came back and said he was gonna go to wells fargo and wire me the money....he never did. I called Wachovia and told them my sob story but there was nothing they could do. I got f-ed up the a. I e-mailed that prick and threatened him and he was like "f-off loser. Get a life". 
So much for friends in game huh? Well looking back I actually am so thankful I had that experience though....even though thats sounds odd. Its true. From that I went and canceled my bank account (after I had to borrow loans from my folks to pay off the debt) and started a fresh one...I deleted paypal too. Then, I quit WoW and deleted it and never looked back. That was the best day of my life...finally got my life on track and have some direction and my grades went from C's and D's to A's and B's...honestly. So, that experience sucked but in the long run it paid off and that little sucker is a douchebag though...haha 
zikeria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 zikeria
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts

when you want something done right, DO IT YOUR SELF!!!!!!!!! SO TAKE ACTION

tell him to send a letter to microsoft DEMANDING something from them...

In the letter he should write his whole life story from when he bought his 360.

NO MAKE A MOVIE AND SEND IT TO THEM!!!

skinnypete91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 skinnypete91
Member since 2006 • 6022 Posts
[QUOTE="opiep333"]

what a tragedy.

gatsbythepig
could be worse, could've been me

LOL! unlucky mate.. he got conned, should've been more careful