A History of Microsoft's Abuse of My Family

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Spartan4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Spartan4001
Member since 2005 • 1829 Posts

I come from a family of passionate gamers. We absolutely love playing Xbox 360 together. Our collection of Original Xbox and Xbox 360 games is extensive. We have spent hundreds of dollars on consoles, games, and accessories over the years. But we have suffered an unacceptable number of system failures and been helpless in the face of indifferent customer support for too long. Through it all, not once have we been given anything but a month-long wait for our troubles. The following is a complete history of my family's Xbox patronage, entirely accurate to every detail. Note that each time a console malfunctioned, Xbox Support was unable to resolve the issue via troubleshooting and required that we ship the console to a repair center. Each time, we received a refurbished unit after approximately 4 weeks.

GENERAL FACTS

• three active Xbox Live gold subscribers paying $50 a year, netting Microsoft $150 per year
  • family currently owns two Xbox 360's so that member at college can play with rest of family at home over Xbox Live

HISTORY

• December 2003: Became Original Xbox owner
  • January 2006: Purchased first Xbox 360 after months of dogged searching due to scarcity of product (still technically within Microsoft's self-professed "worldwide launch window" from November 2005-March 2006)
  • November 2006: First 360 red-rings a few days before release of highly anticipated GEARS OF WAR, causing us to not have a console for that product's release
  • August 2007: Second 360 red-rings shortly before release of highly anticipated BIOSHOCK, causing us to not have a console for that product's release
  • September 2007: Received THIRD 360 three days before release of extremely highly anticipated HALO 3; within 24 hours, THIRD 360 red-ringed and caused us to miss the biggest entertainment launch of the year
  • August 2009: FOURTH 360 red-rings
  • September 2009: Received FIFTH 360 from repair center; after downloading mandatory system update from Xbox Live, console was unable to reconnect to internet. All troubleshooting steps with Xbox Support and ISP failed, forcing us to send in FIFTH 360 for repairs less than a day after receiving it and causing us to miss impending release of highly anticipated HALO 3: ODST

In addition, an individual member of the family purchased a 360 for his own use while at college. That chronology is as follows:

• July 2008: Individual member of household purchases another Xbox 360 console so that he will be able to play over Xbox Live from college with other members of household
  • August 2008: Aforementioned member of household trades in recently purchased 360 for newly announced 60 gig model, paying difference in cost out of pocket

*Note that all consoles have always been kept in horizontal configuration on hard surface with large amount of space on all sides to ensure adequate airflow and maintain cooling. Power brick is similarly well-ventilated. Consoles have always been kept at room temperature and have not been subjected to any stresses or demands beyond simply playing video games as designed.

Clearly, we are passionate Xbox 360 users who have invested a lot of time and money into the system and its games. We have been wronged time and again by console failures. These frustrations have been aggravated by their extremely inopportune timing, Xbox's continually apathetic customer support, and shoddy "repair" work/poorly refurbished replacement consoles. We should be entitled to some form of compensation for these offenses, and at the very least deserve a working Xbox 360 console when we receive a unit from repair. And what is Microsoft's response? "Please wait 3-4 weeks for your repair. We apologize for the inconvenience."

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts

Wow. I expected better from a level 37 but just...wow.

Avatar image for RAMRODtheMASTER
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 RAMRODtheMASTER
Member since 2009 • 8107 Posts
Man that really sucks. I had a launch 360 that red ringed close to 3 years after I got it. When they sent one back it died about a month later. That pissed me off so instead of waiting for it to return again I bought an Arcade and slapped my old HDD on it. Haven't had a problem with it ever. It's extremely unfortunate how many you have had fail. I feel that most of us need a little compensation for our troubles but I feel that you deserve a little more for going through that many consoles.
COD4_Shinedown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 COD4_Shinedown
Member since 2008 • 5673 Posts

93soccer

Why isn't he entitled to express his disappointment with Microsoft's policies? This is the Xbox 360 forums after all. You know, Microsofts console. If he wants to bring up the issue of Microsoft having poor hardware and a poor replacement process than I think he can do it here.

PatChampsXXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PatChampsXXXVI
Member since 2005 • 392 Posts
Sounds like microsoft sent you 4 xboxs. unlucky they all broke but you knew what you were buying
Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

Sorry TC...Everyone knows by now what they are bying into with the 360. Most people have been through multiple consoles now. Its what you deal with if you have a 360..Plain and simple man..

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Well he bought it at launch... Dont think that they knew bout the 35% failure rate of the thing back in January 2006...

COD4_Shinedown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 COD4_Shinedown
Member since 2008 • 5673 Posts

Well he bought it at launch... Dont think that they knew bout the 35% failure rate of the thing back in January 2006...

chaplainDMK

Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed the TC state that he/she bought a 360 at LAUNCH! Also, he had his 360 from Jan to Nov 06. I'm sure his collection of games at this stage would have been big enough to justify a repair.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
[QUOTE="COD4_Shinedown"]

[QUOTE="93soccer"]

Why isn't he entitled to express his disappointment with Microsoft's policies? This is the Xbox 360 forums after all. You know, Microsofts console. If he wants to bring up the issue of Microsoft having poor hardware and a poor replacement process than I think he can do it here.

Yeah, and those levels don't really amount to a whole lot anyway.
i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts

[QUOTE="93soccer"]

COD4_Shinedown

He has every right to speak of his experience. That's not the issue. But why do it here? Every user on these forums has now heard roughly 1,867,291 (give or take a few, of course) of the same friggin' complaint, and to be honest, it's getting a little old. Everyone knows there's an issue. Everyone wants to vent about it. But these forums were designed for videogame discussions, not for people to vent their frustrations about the RRoD in some way hoping that their problem will magically be resolved through the power of Gamespot. I feel for the TC, as it's a bad situation. What I don't feel for is the lack of useless threads posted here about the same issues over and over again. There are much more constructive ways of combating this problem, and I don't see how adding to the deluge of "Microsoft owes me" threads is in any way going to help anything. In the end, all it does is jam up the boards with more useless comments, with no resolution to the complainant at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
[QUOTE="i_noseworthy"][QUOTE="COD4_Shinedown"]

[QUOTE="93soccer"]

He has every right to speak of his experience. That's not the issue. But why do it here? Every user on these forums has now heard roughly 1,867,291 (give or take a few, of course) of the same friggin' complaint, and to be honest, it's getting a little old. Everyone knows there's an issue. Everyone wants to vent about it. But these forums were designed for videogame discussions, not for people to vent their frustrations about the RRoD in some way hoping that their problem will magically be resolved through the power of Gamespot. I feel for the TC, as it's a bad situation. What I don't feel for is the lack of useless threads posted here about the same issues over and over again. There are much more constructive ways of combating this problem, and I don't see how adding to the deluge of "Microsoft owes me" threads is in any way going to help anything. In the end, all it does is jam up the boards with more useless comments, with no resolution to the complainant at all.

Yeah that's true too. I guess just ignore threads like these then...I mean they are bound to exist, as are threads about how much Halo sucks and how much of a letdown the latest Fable was, but all you have to do is ignore them and focus in on threads that interest you.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#12 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

look lol you think thats a story i got one for ya

i got my first 360 march 2006 ,,

auguest 2006-the 360 stops reading disc tried to play saints row i called support they claimed the 360 wasnt what was messing up so i returned disc to story only to find out it was the 360 so on sept 2006 i bought another core

march 2007 , ironically a yr after my first and 6 mos after 2nd my 360 rrod'd while playing saints row

ms sent me a box 2 weeks later it was repaird then 6 months later the 3rd 360 rrod'd . while playing smackdown vs raw 2008

after they repaired that i went to store bought a 4th unit , which rrod'd 6 months later whilst playing saints row again

the one they repaired started to cause cracks in the center of my discs so i stopped using it

on dec 1s 2008 i bought a arcade - making the total to 4 '5 and 6

the 5th one had to be sent to ms for the scratchin problem it was fixed

the one i bought for xmas- 3 months into use it wouldnt power on so i sent that in to the support center so im on 6 7 and 8 lol

with only one that hasnt been in for along time

i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts
Yeah that's true too. I guess just ignore threads like these then...I mean they are bound to exist, as are threads about how much Halo sucks and how much of a letdown the latest Fable was, but all you have to do is ignore them and focus in on threads that interest you.Ovirew
I agree with that, but ignoring threads doesn't help that there are 14,000 + pages of threads on these forums. There are stickies for a reason...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
[QUOTE="Ovirew"]Yeah that's true too. I guess just ignore threads like these then...I mean they are bound to exist, as are threads about how much Halo sucks and how much of a letdown the latest Fable was, but all you have to do is ignore them and focus in on threads that interest you.i_noseworthy
I agree with that, but ignoring threads doesn't help that there are 14,000 + pages of threads on these forums. There are stickies for a reason...

Well a lot of those sticky threads have been locked before because once they get a certain number of posts Gamespot closes them. I also feel that threads become too big after a while to the point where only the people following the convo from the beginning still know what's going on and there's no longer any point in reading through the old trash to play catch-up. So I'm good, besides all I really need to see are the new threads, what people are talking about now - the other stuff doesn't matter.
eXists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15 eXists
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts
I hear you man, i'm on my "FIFTH" too... hmmm... maybe SIXTH?! I can't even remember! The only difference is after my "THIRD" failure, i stopped receiving refurbished ones and they fixed my existing one and sent it back again and again... Luckily, I didn't miss any launch events BUT my first time was a horrible experience, even Major Nelson himself had to calm me down :D i was pissed since I was blasting MS all over the place. Having said that, I love my 360 WHEN IT WORKS, have over 50 games at $60 each so I'm too invested to jump ship and I really wouldn't do it, the better games are on Xbox by far. It's a really frustrating situation, I was even thinking of buying another one just in case the first one blows up, nothing much we can do about it. The good thing is that now I'm so used to it failing I jump to my PC and play Crysis which looks/plays amazing so I have something else to do during the 2-4 weeks to get it back. Hope this "therapy" session helps you man! Good Luck!
shysterio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shysterio
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts
Oh man im sorry to hear that
shysterio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shysterio
is there
shysterio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shysterio
anything you can do
shysterio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shysterio
anything you can do
Bulkycheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bulkycheese
Member since 2009 • 137 Posts
ive never gotten red rings, lucky me :o shame you missed the halo 3 launch
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
I haven't gotten a RRoD in a long time. I don't even wanna think about it to be honest. But it's kinda hard for me to believe the TC, some of what he's saying seems a little made up to over-dramatize everything.
Gsig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Gsig
Member since 2008 • 90 Posts

Not entirely sure why you would go into so much detail in your post. What can we do? Sure I sypathise with you but that would have been the same if you would have simply put that you got a rrod. I don't really need to know how much money you have given microsoft. Alot of people have these problems.

I personally bought a launch xbox and never got a red ring. I accidently pulled out the disk tray and ruined the console but thar was my fault so I bought another console. Which is still going strong.

ackr1TE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ackr1TE
Member since 2007 • 636 Posts

I got sent a refurbished 360 when my original 360 crapped out on me and its been working fine ever since.... ive had it for over a year now.