360? LCD TV? Read this!!

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 foxy42
Member since 2004 • 358 Posts

I feel compelled to make this post about my recent experiences with HDTVs and my 360, as I have discovered a gem of information that some of you may already know, but I think most of you may not...if you can plough this essay of my lifes story, you might find it worth your while.

Short version for lazy people - Using component input for 720p or 1080p? TV has VGA input? Try the VGA cable, maybe it will make your experience MUCH better! Read more to see why...

Firstly, I bought my 360 relatively recently (few months), and when I bought it I did not have an HDTV. However, I'm a senior tech for a living, so I DO have lots of monitors. So of course I bought the VGA cable straight away. Plugged it into an old 19"CRT (the old big, deep ones) monitor. When you're connected via VGA, the Xbox dashboard lets you set a generic resolution for the dashboard AND any games/DVDs that are played through the xbox. So, I set the dashboard res at 1024x768 (monitor was not a wide, unfortunately), and started playing. Of course the display was small and 'letterboxed' cos no widescreen, but the graphics were very nice and I was impressed. All was well in foxy's office until...

A few days ago, I bought a 32" Samsung LCD just for the Xbox (we have bigger plans for the living room, but more on that in a later post ;)), I eagerly dug out the old component cable I had never used and set the little switch to HD, booted up the dashboard, set it to 720p (fully supported by the LE32R32B) and loaded up Test Drive (nice trees n stuff). I was shocked how crap it looked. I was so shocked I was convinced there was something wrong with the TV.

Now, this TV (as most LCDs these days) also has a VGA input, so I thought 'hmmmmm, have to try that, can't be any worse!', so I plugged in the vga, and booted it up. Went to dashboard to see what resolutions I could choose from, and lo and behold, there it was, my TV's native resolution (the same native res of most 720p compatible TVs - 1360x768 ), so I set it to that and booted up Test Drive again. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! It's amazing, sharp, beautiful colours, contrast, I was happy, but I still beleived that there must be something wrong with the TV for the component to look so bad in comparison, so I went searching on the 'net and found this...

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/5/150612.html

Very helpful, many knowledgable people, most stating the same thing...that VGA is much better than component!! I never knew this! As you can see there are some people who disagree, but this is most likely due to the fact that their TVs are not all that compatible or don't process VGA signals correctly. In the end it makes perfect sense, in your Xbox is a PC graphics card with a chipset most likely optimized for digital and analog VGA displays.

So, my point is...if you have a TV that has a VGA connector, but you are using the component input at 720p, TRY THE VGA CABLE!! Probably it will make a HUGE difference to the quality of your gameplaying.

jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
Nice story, but I think a lot of it depends on your TV. VGA isn't always above and beyond better than component. VGA might be sharper but also have less vibrant colors on some TVs, etc. I'd love to see what my TV would look like witha VGA cable, but I'm not willing to drop 40 bucks on a cable which may or may not have a major impact. Now, when I go from a 20 inch LCD to a 60 inch DLP I'll almost certainly for for VGA cables.
Avatar image for Taxpaying_Acorn
Taxpaying_Acorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Taxpaying_Acorn
Member since 2004 • 4952 Posts
Already knew this, but thanks for the big summary. I found some helpful parts in it.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I recently read that VGA is lossier than Component, but my actual experiences are along the same lines as yours... I love playing my 360 over VGA in 1080p!
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts
Hey man, I went through the same experience as you, minus the thinking my TV was broke part. I had bought the VGA cables for my LCD monitor before I got my LCD HDTV. When I got the TV I used my component inputs, and didn't really think much of it...it was slightly pixely and grainy but I thought it was normal. When I started learning about the different types of connections, I learned that setting a device to output in your native resolution, or whatever is closes to it, is always your best bet. I hooked up my VGA cables to see if it had 1360x768 (my native res.), and it did. Switched it to that and its been a far superior gaming experience ever since.
valdarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 valdarez
Member since 2003 • 2174 Posts
I have a VGA connector on my TV, but it will only output 480p. :(
Magna_Man109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Magna_Man109
Member since 2005 • 5527 Posts
yea i heard of people using VGA cables rather than component, but i really think that it matters about your TV
Avatar image for SicsStringFreak
SicsStringFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SicsStringFreak
Member since 2003 • 1679 Posts
Hey man, I went through the same experience as you, minus the thinking my TV was broke part. I had bought the VGA cables for my LCD monitor before I got my LCD HDTV. When I got the TV I used my component inputs, and didn't really think much of it...it was slightly pixely and grainy but I thought it was normal. When I started learning about the different types of connections, I learned that setting a device to output in your native resolution, or whatever is closes to it, is always your best bet. I hooked up my VGA cables to see if it had 1360x768 (my native res.), and it did. Switched it to that and its been a far superior gaming experience ever since.lockjaw333
yeah your native res is always gonna look better, because your tv only outputs in its native res, no matter what the input is, it upscales or descales the image to fit that resolution, so if you put it on 720p on a 768p tv, it has to upscale once again as it reaches the tv, but if you have a 768p on a 768p tv, no need for scaling, which in turn looks better, all games that are developed in 720p are simultaniously developed in 768p as well.
foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 foxy42

Glad to hear people share my experience, I realise it can depend on the TV, I was surprised to read in the thread I posted a link to, that some people had a grainy, flat experience, my experience is the exact opposite, it was jaggy grainy and flat colours on the component in COMPARISON to the the VGA (of course, component is component, jaggy and basically not very good. It was only because I had gotten used to VGA graphics on a monitor, that I considered I had an actual problem to solve). As someone else pointed out, it is all about hte native resolution. If your LCD TV has a really odd resolution (or basically not very closely matching those available in the dashboard) then it may not be worth your while to try.

@donalbane, yeh, you posted that in my other post on the hardware forum when I had first solved the problem a couple days ago. The myth is that component is better. Check out the thread I linked above, gives opinoins from every side. Bottom line =VGA>component in 95% of cases, and not just a little better. Still, you know the same thing from your own personal experience, so I won't try to tell you anything... ;)

Thomasdeleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Thomasdeleo
Member since 2006 • 1984 Posts
How do you know if your tv supports vga.
foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxy42
How do you know if your tv supports vga.Thomasdeleo
It has a 16 pin socket on the back, sort of like a 'D' shape on it's side, with the long edge (normally) up. It should be marked VGA. Before attempting this, it's worth finding out what your TV's 'native' resolution is, and if XBox dashboard supports it.
DrewBlood08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DrewBlood08
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts
I have a sony 32'' lcd, KDL-V32XBR1.  Is there a way to check if the using VGA would be better without having to buy the adapter itself or would I have to just buy it and see?  I'd like the better quality and I'm short one component connection right now so freeing one up would be great...
foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foxy42
I have a sony 32'' lcd, KDL-V32XBR1.  Is there a way to check if the using VGA would be better without having to buy the adapter itself or would I have to just buy it and see?  I'd like the better quality and I'm short one component connection right now so freeing one up would be great...DrewBlood08
If it's not better quality, I'll eat my hat. Without ketchup. Go for it, you can always sell the cable on ebay later. That was one of the TVs I was looking at, and has the same native res as my samsung (this is the important factor). I 'almost' guarantee that you will find a significant improvement, at the very least in terms of antialiasing. Bear in mind, you may need to play around with the colour/brightness settings to get it just right (but maybe not, I didn't). My post at the top of this thread is absolutely aimed at you my friend, I bet you'll be pleased with the result. Please don't take it out on me though, if your experience is not the same as mine in the end, I will definitely want you to post it in this thread if that is the case, but I'm really just trying to pass on my experience to people like you who may not have heard about this, and it MAY NOT BE CORRECT FOR ALL TVs (but definitely for most). PS. Of course if you have a friend who already has the cable so you can try it, that would be ideal, but like I say, I'm prepared to stick my neck out on this one and say that I think it will be a lot better for you.
DrewBlood08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DrewBlood08
Thanks for the info...  I'll prolly try just to free up some connection space.  Then if it also improves picture quality, all the better.
DrewBlood08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DrewBlood08
One more question, where can I purchase the adapter?  Is there a adapter made specifically for the 360?
riskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 riskers
Member since 2004 • 340 Posts
long but very informative post. My TV's native res is also 720p (1360x768) so I'm anxious to see what VGA will look like. I've also heard that the 360 can up-convert standard DVDs using the VGA cable...any truth to that? If it does than it would have removed any hesitation I feel towards buying VGA.
foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 foxy42
One more question, where can I purchase the adapter?  Is there a adapter made specifically for the 360?DrewBlood08
Yep, there is, it replaces the entire video output cable, from the socket on the 360 tp the TV. Try your local retailer. Even over here in Greece, they are WIDELY stocked. Even at some supermarkets! lol!
foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 foxy42

long but very informative post. My TV's native res is also 720p (1360x768) so I'm anxious to see what VGA will look like. I've also heard that the 360 can up-convert standard DVDs using the VGA cable...any truth to that? If it does than it would have removed any hesitation I feel towards buying VGA.riskers
I can only tell you that my experiment with DVDs (after changing to VGA) consisted of running the regular DVD (as in not HD-DVD) of I-Robot. I watched the first few scenes with my jaw on the floor. Amazing.

EDIT: To clarify, I used to watch DVDs on my PC (I have a very nice 20" LG TFT), but from the 'box to the VGA outfitted Sammy, there is no competition. I never even realised 'regular' DVDs could look that good. Can't wait to see what a genuine HD DVD will look like.

Avatar image for Robert-Sapolski
Robert-Sapolski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Robert-Sapolski
Member since 2006 • 677 Posts
I just ordered my VGA cables and for the time being I only have a 1024 x 768 resolution LCD monitor (just ordered a new 19") will the 360 letterbox this down?
DrewBlood08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DrewBlood08
Thank you once again, I'm glad I came across this forum.  I was stressing over whether to buy a selector because I ran out of hd component connections, need a spot for my wii.  Now the problem is solved and maybe even with some benefit in the better video quality for my 360.  I don't think there is a chance of having the VGA being worse than the component, maybe equal which is fine by me.  Now I just need to wait for my 360 to return from the repair center for the second time.  Maybe they will send me yet another "new" system, aka refurbished.
foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foxy42
I just ordered my VGA cables and for the time being I only have a 1024 x 768 resolution LCD monitor (just ordered a new 19") will the 360 letterbox this down?Robert-Sapolski
Yes.
Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cellien
Member since 2004 • 2280 Posts
I have a 21" Samsung LCD with the 360 hooked up through VGA.. then got a LCD HDTV and hooked up through the component cables.. looks much better with component cables for me. I suggest everyone try both.. needless to say I returned the VGA cables .. hehehe.
natrone06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 natrone06
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts
Gamepro Says!"MYTH: VGA output is better than component video. When it comes to HD TVs, component video sits at the top of the analog video cable heap. VGA is an outstanding choice for PC monitors, but the signal loses some of its boldness when converted to a standard HD TV television signal. If you don't believe us, just plug a VGA cable into your Xbox 360 and see how dull and muted the colors look. There are some exceptions to this rule, such as TVs with cheap, lousy component video inputs. VGA still gives a quality HD experience, but if you're gaming on an HD TV, stick with component for the brightest, boldest color."
ayoksh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ayoksh
Member since 2003 • 35 Posts
Ok Question then if vga is better could you hook up a dvi to hdmi connector to get the same resolution on the vga cord
riskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 riskers
Member since 2004 • 340 Posts

[QUOTE="riskers"]long but very informative post. My TV's native res is also 720p (1360x768) so I'm anxious to see what VGA will look like. I've also heard that the 360 can up-convert standard DVDs using the VGA cable...any truth to that? If it does than it would have removed any hesitation I feel towards buying VGA.foxy42

I can only tell you that my experiment with DVDs (after changing to VGA) consisted of running the regular DVD (as in not HD-DVD) of I-Robot. I watched the first few scenes with my jaw on the floor. Amazing.

Great news! Thanks again for shedding some light on the subject (at lest for me anyway :) ). Like others I've had my doubts about VGA, but I hear good things...I very confident about buying one now. Even if it doesn't work out...at least I can play on my monitor when my buddy's and I get together and have a massive LAN party :) Thanks again Foxy!
foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foxy42

Gamepro Says!"MYTH: VGA output is better than component video. When it comes to HD TVs, component video sits at the top of the analog video cable heap. VGA is an outstanding choice for PC monitors, but the signal loses some of its boldness when converted to a standard HD TV television signal. If you don't believe us, just plug a VGA cable into your Xbox 360 and see how dull and muted the colors look. There are some exceptions to this rule, such as TVs with cheap, lousy component video inputs. VGA still gives a quality HD experience, but if you're gaming on an HD TV, stick with component for the brightest, boldest color." natrone06
Gamepro doesn't know what it's on about. Seriously, don't believe everything you hear. Read the posts by real people who have real experiences in that thread I linked in my initial post. VGA>component in most cases, and in the other cases, absolutely equal (depending on the TV analog signal processor). Fact.

EDIT: What gamepro says is correct though, now that I read it more carefully, but what they say does not mean that the experience is not better on a large number of TVs using the VGA cables...

Their line 'Don't believe us, plug in a VGA cable...' makes me laugh, 'cos that's exactly what I did, and also the other people who have posted in this thread saying the same thing. lol!!

The main thing is the jaggies. If you don't like jaggies, VGA is better. Sure, in some cases, an increase in brightness and color saturation is needed, but that's what those settings are for. I may post some photos if people are that interested.

foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 foxy42
Ok Question then if vga is better could you hook up a dvi to hdmi connector to get the same resolution on the vga cordayoksh
Not sure what this would accomplish, as DMI is digital and VGA is analog. They are not interchangeable with adaptors, hence the problem of the 360 DMI adapter (which is available) is not compatible with TVs that can only display true DMI digital images.
rykh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#28 rykh
Member since 2003 • 1582 Posts
VGA is great especially if the native resolution of the tv is anything other than 1280x720, 1900x1080, or 480i/p.  If its something other than that get a VGA cable.
foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 foxy42
VGA is great especially if the native resolution of the tv is anything other than 1280x720, 1900x1080, or 480i/p.  If its something other than that get a VGA cable.rykh
Well put. It's AAAAALLLLLLL about the native res. ;)
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lockjaw333
Gamepro Says!"MYTH: VGA output is better than component video. When it comes to HD TVs, component video sits at the top of the analog video cable heap. VGA is an outstanding choice for PC monitors, but the signal loses some of its boldness when converted to a standard HD TV television signal. If you don't believe us, just plug a VGA cable into your Xbox 360 and see how dull and muted the colors look. There are some exceptions to this rule, such as TVs with cheap, lousy component video inputs. VGA still gives a quality HD experience, but if you're gaming on an HD TV, stick with component for the brightest, boldest color." natrone06
They seem to be focusing only on the colors, when thats not really what makes the quality of a picture. The colors are definitely more intense using component cables in my experience, but that does not make the picture better. I feel that component sometimes causes the colors to be too intense and oversaturated, making the picture anything but realistic. Using the VGA cables, the colors are slightly less intense, but to me they are more realistic. Also, the main advantage you gain with the switch is the smooothness of the picture. With component, I experienced a decent amount of "jaggies". These were eliminated with the VGA cables. The switch won't be advantageous to everyone. Generally, if you have an LCD TV, VGA provides a higher quality picture. I wouldn't recommend it for CRT TV's. And again, matching your native resolution is the most important thing, and for most newer LCD HDTV's, the VGA cables are the only way to do that. So yes, Gamepro is right in saying the picture is better if they are just focusing on the colors. However, I think they are wrong in saying the picture is better overall. To me, its well worth losing a little intensity in color for a much cleaner picture.
milsvaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 milsvaard
Member since 2003 • 1928 Posts
I think it's not about component and VGA, your game looked better because it was running in your LCDs native resolution. LCDs have that flaw, they run everything in their native res very nicely but every other resolution looks awful.
nonsoville2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 nonsoville2
Member since 2006 • 4124 Posts
Nice story. But the thruth is Samsung LCD component sucks. It all depends on your tv dude. on my tv, component>>> VGA. It has richer colors, contrast, sharpness. etc While the VGA looks dull and washed up
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lockjaw333
I think it's not about component and VGA, your game looked better because it was running in your LCDs native resolution. LCDs have that flaw, they run everything in their native res very nicely but every other resolution looks awful.milsvaard
If that statement is true (and I'm not arguing with you), then it makes you wonder why many of the newer LCD HDTV's have a native resolution of 1366x768. 768p is not an HD standard, so I wonder why the manufacturers go for that extra amount of pixels. Seems strange. I guess what we're learning is that it depends on your TV, which I agree with. Nonsoville2, what type of TV do you have?
foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 foxy42

Nice story. But the thruth is Samsung LCD component sucks. It all depends on your tv dude. on my tv, component>>> VGA. It has richer colors, contrast, sharpness. etc While the VGA looks dull and washed upnonsoville2
Yeh, like I said a bunch of times, and as milsvaard said above, it is all about the native res of the TV. If the native res of the TV is genuine 720pixels on the vertical axis, (NOT 768!!!) then perhaps the component will give a better image. I am also quite prepared to admit that Samsungs implementation of the component architecture may well be crap. Like I said earlier, I'm just posting my experience for the benefit of others. It totally depends on your TV though, as you say. A really expensive TV may have better scaling engines for the component output to the actual screen, but the trouble is, most people (even those with 'enough' money, such as myself) will not fork out 1500E for a 32" TV, when they can have one for 650E and just run it on VGA if the component looks like crap. That's all I'm trying to say...

EDIT: Nonsoville2, would you share your native res with us, please?

bakerdp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bakerdp
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts

My VGA looked terribly dull and washed out at first.  I tweaked my settings, and now I've got a crisp, bright, clear picture.  So, for those of you who feel that VGA is dull and washed out, try changing your settings.  HD-DVD's in 1080p look sweet on my 40" Bravia. 

Owned_Noob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Owned_Noob
Member since 2006 • 2136 Posts
nice story
Puiumami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Puiumami
Member since 2004 • 1918 Posts
Umm ... if your taking about the same VGA (Video Graphics Array) as me, then you guys are quite mistaken. I have two identical monitors (22" 2ms, 1600:1 contrast:ratio) for my computer, one is set up through DVI and one is set up through VGA (because my video graphics card only supports that for now), and the VGA looks considerably worse in gaming, and general text etc. So ... maybe we are talking about different things.. please clarify for me!
Puiumami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Puiumami
Member since 2004 • 1918 Posts
Also my 50" living room tv was connected with vga to the comp, and then changed to DVI because dvi looked better, and less blurry.
toemayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 toemayo
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts
If you have a 720p/1080i tv and you use VGA hookup, do you set it to 720p or 1080i?
foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 foxy42
Also my 50" living room tv was connected with vga to the comp, and then changed to DVI because dvi looked better, and less blurry.Puiumami
Yeh, regarding both your posts, NOBODY (in their right mind) is suggesting that VGA (yes, Video Graphics Array, analog 16 pin) is better than DVI or HDMI. It is however, MUCH better than component 720p on a TV whose native res is not precisely 720 pixels down the vertical axis.
foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 foxy42
If you have a 720p/1080i tv and you use VGA hookup, do you set it to 720p or 1080i? toemayo
When you are connected via VGA, the options are slightly different, you can set a resolution for the xbox to use. If you have a tv whose native res is 1360/1366x768, then you set it to 1360x768 in the Xbox dashboard.
rykh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rykh
[QUOTE="Puiumami"]Umm ... if your taking about the same VGA (Video Graphics Array) as me, then you guys are quite mistaken. I have two identical monitors (22" 2ms, 1600:1 contrast:ratio) for my computer, one is set up through DVI and one is set up through VGA (because my video graphics card only supports that for now), and the VGA looks considerably worse in gaming, and general text etc. So ... maybe we are talking about different things.. please clarify for me!

DVI and VGA are quite different. DVI is digital and will look better. VGA is analog and is being compared to component in this case. VGA and component are actually very similar into how they break up color and image. If people honestly can notice a difference between the 2, their eyes are better than mine. Some stating noise interference in the VGA cables, doubtful in a 4 foot long cord, if this is the case paying $100 for Monster cables would be worth it, but it is not. The difference between VGA and component in fundamentally negligible.
foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 foxy42
[QUOTE="rykh"][QUOTE="Puiumami"]Umm ... if your taking about the same VGA (Video Graphics Array) as me, then you guys are quite mistaken. I have two identical monitors (22" 2ms, 1600:1 contrast:ratio) for my computer, one is set up through DVI and one is set up through VGA (because my video graphics card only supports that for now), and the VGA looks considerably worse in gaming, and general text etc. So ... maybe we are talking about different things.. please clarify for me!

DVI and VGA are quite different. DVI is digital and will look better. VGA is analog and is being compared to component in this case. VGA and component are actually very similar into how they break up color and image. If people honestly can notice a difference between the 2, their eyes are better than mine. Some stating noise interference in the VGA cables, doubtful in a 4 foot long cord, if this is the case paying $100 for Monster cables would be worth it, but it is not. The difference between VGA and component in fundamentally negligible.

The difference I'm talking about is huge. It's the native resolution factor. A blind person could see the difference between my TV on component 720p and VGA@1360x768. The xbox running at 720p on a 720p native TV probably is no different from vga 1360x768 running on a native 768p TV, do you see what I'm getting at?
rykh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rykh
[QUOTE="foxy42"][QUOTE="rykh"][QUOTE="Puiumami"]Umm ... if your taking about the same VGA (Video Graphics Array) as me, then you guys are quite mistaken. I have two identical monitors (22" 2ms, 1600:1 contrast:ratio) for my computer, one is set up through DVI and one is set up through VGA (because my video graphics card only supports that for now), and the VGA looks considerably worse in gaming, and general text etc. So ... maybe we are talking about different things.. please clarify for me!

The difference I'm talking about is huge. It's the native resolution factor. A blind person could see the difference between my TV on component 720p and VGA@1360x768. The xbox running at 720p on a 720p native TV probably is no different from vga 1360x768 running on a native 768p TV, do you see what I'm getting at?

I wasnt talking about fitting a particular resolution. I was talking about the data transfer. If you transfer a signal through component to a TV and through VGA to a TV with all else being equal the signals are very similar. In your case your comparing TV resolutions to a source, not a source to a source.
eddy5791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 eddy5791
Member since 2004 • 986 Posts
Are there any brands that react well with VGA cables? I'm mainly referring to Samsung and Panasonic. I'm still pretty far away from getting my HDTV in May, and hopefully no drastic technological change occurs in which i have to do research all over again. oh and a couple of other things; if your HD were to have a vertical axis of 720p would it b necessary to buy a VGA or would components do fine? Secondly, Foxy if it isn't too much trouble, can you post some pics of your TV set-up and possibly some comparisons between vga and component?
eddy5791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 eddy5791
Member since 2004 • 986 Posts
Another quick question. If an HDTV comes built-in with an HDMI input, would it be better just to use an HDMI cable or the VGA?
Xraven33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Xraven33
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts
i have a 52" sony lcd with native 1080p....and component is much better then VGA on my tv
RabbidDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#48 RabbidDawg
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
Ive got a 32 inch Samsung LCD HDTV that has VGA and Component, and I use component over VGA. The VGA cable does seem to fx some anti-aliasing issues and have deeper colors, and some textures look smoother but the text and small details are REALLY pixelated, and it doesnt appear to have the clarity and brightness that component has.

VGA just has a dull, "cloudy" look to it.
foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 foxy42

[QUOTE="foxy42"][QUOTE="rykh"][QUOTE="Puiumami"]Umm ... if your taking about the same VGA (Video Graphics Array) as me, then you guys are quite mistaken. I have two identical monitors (22" 2ms, 1600:1 contrast:ratio) for my computer, one is set up through DVI and one is set up through VGA (because my video graphics card only supports that for now), and the VGA looks considerably worse in gaming, and general text etc. So ... maybe we are talking about different things.. please clarify for me!rykh

I wasnt talking about fitting a particular resolution. I was talking about the data transfer. If you transfer a signal through component to a TV and through VGA to a TV with all else being equal the signals are very similar. In your case your comparing TV resolutions to a source, not a source to a source.

I am talking about resolution adjustment (scaling) in this topic, that's the whole point, I see what you're saying though. But the signals aren't that similar in architecture. VGA is 5 channels, component is 4. VGA has double the bandwidth of component, and is scalable in frequency too, not that that particularly plays a role in the actual image quality.

foxy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 foxy42
Ive got a 32 inch Samsung LCD HDTV that has VGA and Component, and I use component over VGA. The VGA cable does seem to fx some anti-aliasing issues and have deeper colors, and some textures look smoother but the text and small details are REALLY pixelated, and it doesnt appear to have the clarity and brightness that component has.

VGA just has a dull, "cloudy" look to it.
RabbidDawg
I'm very surprised to hear you say that. I get terrible pixellation on component and on vga text is pin sharp (almost like it's vectored). Will post photos tomorrow evening (greek time).