360 Controller Drifts Left

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

perry933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 perry933
Member since 2007 • 621 Posts

Anyone else's controller just kinda drift left?

Not sure if it is because I play alot of FPS but when I leave my controller alone my character will start to turn left slowly.

It is a pain when I am sniping, but if I push the toggle hard to the right it will correct it.

Ohh and it is the left toggle stick and no I don't play nascar games!!!! lol

IAmDazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 IAmDazzle
Member since 2007 • 600 Posts
So which stick is it?! You made references to both. They may just be gunky and stuck. Make sure that when you start the game or console you aren't pushing on them in any way.
perry933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 perry933
Member since 2007 • 621 Posts

It's the left toggle stick, like I said in the post lol.

I said I push it to the right to correct it.

It is like it has gotten worn down and doesn't center completely all the time.

ag1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 ag1002
Member since 2004 • 13499 Posts
I had that same problem, it drifted to the left. It just got worse so I had to buy a new controller.
AboboSVT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AboboSVT
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

Just dealt with the exact same problem..also the left stick. Started happening 2 weeks after i got my system so the controller was basically new. I called microsoft and since my system was still under waranty they told me to send it in and they'd ship me a new one. Only down side was i had to pay all the shipping costs.

Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts
What a coincidence... I am having this problem right now.
LethalBurst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LethalBurst
Member since 2003 • 145 Posts
Same exact issue, and my controller is only 1 1/2 months old.
Tom_Brady860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tom_Brady860
Member since 2007 • 961 Posts

my controller does that but its also like a year old......

i guess they do it, after they get old and worn out

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

On a PC, you can fix it using a recalibration program.

But Xbox 360's don't let you do that, as far as I know.

pezboy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pezboy7
Member since 2003 • 160 Posts
before you turn on the controller push wichever stick is messed up in the opposite direction that it drifts a bit. then turn the controller on. Sometimes it works. If that doesn't work then.. I guess you need a new one.
b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts

My controller from my launch system drifted to one side. It didn't always do it and if I'd flick the stick, it would stop. I ended up just buying a new one. I'd gotten a lot of use out of that original one. My new one doesn't drift.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts
nope, my original xbox controllers work just fine still too.
allnamestaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 allnamestaken
Member since 2003 • 6618 Posts
Yeah mine does it too. It seems like when you wear teh stick in a bit, it's neutral position changes a bit to the left. Resulting in a slow walking movement to the left in alot of games.
darkserpent213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darkserpent213
Member since 2003 • 1195 Posts
I've noticed mine does this as well. It goes away if I just go in the other direction, but it does get annoying when it happends.
MattRushmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MattRushmore
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts
Mine doesn't drift but it sure got real loose and sloppy after about 100 hours of COD4. I thought I was just overusing it or pushing too hard so, (don't take this wrong) I am glad to hear it's not just me with a faulty left stick.
paul52181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 paul52181
Member since 2004 • 1051 Posts
I remember I used to have this problem with the old N64 controllers as well as PS1, maybe even the original XBOX. If you're moving the control sticks around while you turn on the console, it can get stuck in what's called the "neutral position" and it will cause the character to move without you doing anything. Not sure if that is the case here, but don't fiddle with your stick until the console has fully booted!!
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheGreatGuero
Member since 2004 • 651 Posts
I just made a post like this a few days ago. The same exact thing has been happening to me, and my controller is only a few months old. It's pretty annoying. I'm surprised so many people are having this problem.
Avatar image for patsfan4liferjn
patsfan4liferjn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 patsfan4liferjn
Member since 2007 • 1253 Posts
this happened w/ my ps2 controller. it was because the analog stick got stuck so it was a little left when it should be straight.
Starbound571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Starbound571
Member since 2007 • 374 Posts
this happened w/ my ps2 controller. it was because the analog stick got stuck so it was a little left when it should be straight.patsfan4liferjn
Same here, and I started noticing this with my wireless 360 controller very recently, except it was stick drifting off to the right, on the right stick. I think it's just the nature of analog controllers after a while, once they're broken in for a while you need either calibration programs to correct them, rotate the sticks clockwise/counter-clockwise a few times before playing, or just simply get a new one. I can't count how many PS2 controllers I went through for this, but I still love my PS2 anyway.
GEARSofWAR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GEARSofWAR360
Member since 2006 • 1405 Posts
yea mine does sometimes
zeriva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 zeriva
Member since 2007 • 4531 Posts
[QUOTE="patsfan4liferjn"]this happened w/ my ps2 controller. it was because the analog stick got stuck so it was a little left when it should be straight.Starbound571
Same here, and I started noticing this with my wireless 360 controller very recently, except it was stick drifting off to the right, on the right stick. I think it's just the nature of analog controllers after a while, once they're broken in for a while you need either calibration programs to correct them, rotate the sticks clockwise/counter-clockwise a few times before playing, or just simply get a new one. I can't count how many PS2 controllers I went through for this, but I still love my PS2 anyway.

Agreed, this happened to my PS2 controller but I didn't know what went wrong with it. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I don't think it's doing it anymore, but this has never happened with my 360 controller and I've had it for like two years.
Nocturnal15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nocturnal15
Member since 2006 • 1476 Posts
all my controllers work fine O_o. I had one controller that i used ALOT and after a year the left analog stick was very loose. but that usually tends to happen with all controllers after extended use.
jchatland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jchatland
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
OK, now that everyone had stated that they have the problem and annouced the various lengths of time we have had our controllers, how can we fix the problem? Take it apart, clean the contacts?
F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts

time for a new wired controller bro... try amazon.

Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
[QUOTE="perry933"]

Anyone else's controller just kinda drift left?

Not sure if it is because I play alot of FPS but when I leave my controller alone my character will start to turn left slowly.

It is a pain when I am sniping, but if I push the toggle hard to the right it will correct it.

Ohh and it is the left toggle stick and no I don't play nascar games!!!! lol

it does that on mine because i play games so much
Patrickbrown56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 Patrickbrown56
Member since 2010 • 892 Posts

Its a common problem that happens with 360 controllers. The only real solution is to buy a new controller. That or just deal with it. Your choice in the end.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

yea these controllers just suck..

i have 2 original pads and they both do it... and they under a year old....

anyone wanna buy an xbox...lol

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
I have never had that problem with my controller.
Spire88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Spire88
Member since 2006 • 4502 Posts
it happens to me in black ops and dead space 2, but moving to the right fixes it.
eplanettravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 eplanettravel
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
no its the right toggle stick you have~! buy deals everyday , hot deals shopping, discount online store, atlanta Shopping, atlanta shopping online, atlanta voucher, collective buying, Collective Buying, shopping atlanta, cheapest travel package, cheapest travel packages
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115433 Posts
mines does this all the time edit: just realized this topic is three years old
undeadgoon
I suggest that you read the ToU =) Bumping a topic this old is considered disruptive posting. It's best to make a new topic about this type of discussion rather than to post in one that has been inactive for several years. Just giving you a heads up. =)
TmanDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TmanDeath
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I have six Xbox 360 wireless controllers. Five of them drift to the left on the left thumb stick only. I thought they were getting stepped on so I bought a new one and took mad care of it and after three mounts it too started drifting to the left.
Avatar image for hacker_zerocool
hacker_zerocool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hacker_zerocool
When I have similar issues, one of the following tends to correct it: 1.) pull the stick fully in the opposite direction (if it walks left pull the stick to the right) and then let go, letting the stick sit where it wants to 2.) follow step one before turning on your console since your sticks current position will be considered (0,0) when the system boots up 3.) while slowly rotating the stick, use a thin cloth to clean around the base of the stick If none of these ideas work, then I guess you're left with messing around inside the controller or buying a new one.
Avatar image for deactivated-60156c31f349f
deactivated-60156c31f349f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-60156c31f349f
Member since 2005 • 2836 Posts

Mine does this too, pretty annoying

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

yea might want to get a new controller....it only gets worse

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

mines does this all the time edit: just realized this topic is three years old [QUOTE="undeadgoon"]2ndWonder
I suggest that you read the ToU =) Bumping a topic this old is considered disruptive posting. It's best to make a new topic about this type of discussion rather than to post in one that has been inactive for several years. Just giving you a heads up. =)

do i look bothered.... oops

bobdood99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bobdood99
Member since 2007 • 1862 Posts
When I had my original Xbox 360 I noticed it, but it wasn't enough to bother me. Now that I have a a different Xbox with a brand new controller, it does the same thing.
HadronVulture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HadronVulture
Member since 2012 • 198 Posts
Fortunately for me I have yet to have this problem with my Xbox 360 controller.
Eternal-Entity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#40 Eternal-Entity
Member since 2008 • 1371 Posts

It happens to some controllers naturally. My controllers have never done that, but that is because I consciously make sure not to make any agressive movements on my left stick or any other button. I like calmly pressing buttons. My little brother on the other hand has the same problem, but that is because he is very aggressive on the left stick and A button.

mwilt910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mwilt910
This is the second controller this has happened to me. I don't play that often so it is not a matter of the controller being worn down. It is the left toggle stick and it drifts downward. The first one it happened on was one of those light up controllers, and now it is happening on my white wired controller. It is hard to select things from menus and difficult when sneaking or sniping. The problem has presented itself in numerous games including CoD, Oblivion and Ghost Recon among others. I can't afford to just go out and buy another controller, there needs to be a way to fix this problem please help. thx
UKnowWhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 UKnowWhat
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I have quite a few like that and I've fixed some by replacing the joystick potentialmeter ALPS RKJSP1224 (left & right joystick use the same part). The spec for this part is typical 2 Mil Operations on directional movement and 1 Mil Operations on down click so you can see that it's natural the part will be off center after playing it for a while. You will need to know how to solder to work on it. The right stick is easy to replace but the left stick, you have to desolder the left trigger pot first before you can replace the joystick. Look on internet on how to open up the controller if you incline to replace the pot yourself. It's not expensive and easy to do. Just don't buy the Chinese part. I bought some and they don't match the ALPS value in directional movement and they are inferior in term of quality so it might not work if you replace the orginal ALPS part with the Chinese part.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
yea i get the same problem my original controller that came with the system is completely unusable now thanks to the sticks both leading left my 2nd controller has a slight lean to the left on the left stick now too
UKnowWhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 UKnowWhat

During intensive battle action, it's easy to do 10 movements per sec or more on the stick so with 2Mil ops life time typical, the stick probably would last 55.5 hours of intensive actions. 55 hours isn't a very long time. Obviously the guy designed the controller is a good practitioner of Dance Central and he boasts his design can last a life time and the idiots of MS believed him. Heh!

UKnowWhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 UKnowWhat

Since I fixed quite a few controllers for people within my immediate circle, I want to pass some precautions to you guys. Be careful about the desoldering/soldering the part. The trace is probably 6-8mils wide so if the hot solder tip is applied on the pad, you risk a chance to damage the pad & the trace. It's very hard to see whether the trace is damage or not because they have green solder mask on top of the trace and it's really frustrated to find out you have a different problem after putting everything back together. So the rule of the the thumb is don't apply the solder tip to the pad but only to the pin and remove the heat quick once the solder is melted. Practice makes perfect. Or buy 4-5 controllers during your time with the greedy M$.

VaporPigPoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 VaporPigPoop
I have the same problem, but only of Modern Warfare 2, and Bioshock 2. I havn't had the problem with any other game, for some strange reason.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
my right stick does this sometimes, not that big a deal.
yo2k2102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 yo2k2102
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

i just buy this controller too, jutst few hours of gameplay that analog stick just drift away to lefttt.........hupppphh

Skinon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Skinon
Member since 2009 • 128 Posts
Yep i just noticed this aswell, while playing borderlands 2... I canget it to do it whenever i want but you can stop it by tweaking the stick a little bit when it starts... Might be time to get a new controller anyway, i want one with the new d-pads...
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#50 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I have the same issue and have had that issue since I got it new. I heard it was common and the controller just needed to be worn in.. wrong, still does it.