twistedslu99er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 twistedslu99er
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

One of the things that i have thought that the twisted metal games have done well has been getting the sound track to fit the overall theme of the game. First i remember that "microwaved" song TM3, then Dracula by rob zombie TM4, painted black by rolling stones (opening to the game is the coolest thing ever) for TM Black. TM head on i havent got to play yet so cant comment on the the soundtrack.

So question to you is do you think the new TM should have a soundtrack like before and if so what song would best fit the mood of TM?

jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 jakek
Member since 2003 • 1473 Posts
personally i hated most of the music from 3&4. hearing it once was ok, but over and over and over made my ears bleed. i did appreciate the musical version of more human than human on the north pole level in three though. i loved the stones on Black, but i felt like they did a good job by just using it at the beginning and then the credits. personally id rather just have sweet music, not really songs by artists per se
twistedslu99er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 twistedslu99er
Id like to see something like for whom the bell tolls-metallica or something like korn-freak on a leash and create a bad ass opening movie for it. Or mabey do a like an EA game and have lots of music of that dark rob zombieish nu metal/metal style and have a playlist to avoid the same song playing over again like it did before. But it needs one killa opening song.
jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jakek
if it was going o be metallica, id rather have master of puppets, but thats just me. like i said, id much rather have instrumental music than actual songs with lyrics.
DMethot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 DMethot
Member since 2006 • 408 Posts

I think any of these would be a pretty good choice. Agree that they should be instrumental, so it's about the game, and not the song.

smashing pumpkins - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxM4EbN9lMY

coheed & cambria - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0H3RlaQVrM

deftones - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL4MGwlZuAc

incubus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilr31a79e9A

linkin park - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av0nzHe_hnc

MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MuddyMaestro
Member since 2009 • 10351 Posts
Wow, when you think about it, it is pretty hard to choose between licensed music or it having its own music composition. I think that, for the most part, Twisted Metal 4 hit the soundtrack right on the spot, and I really enjoyed Pitchshifter in TMIII though I wish there was more of their music since the later levels switch to Rob Zombie instrumentals. However, I also really liked the music composition in TM2, to the point where I have a few of the game's tracks on my MP3. If the game is going to have its own music composition, it has to be memorable, and maybe even epic. But the aspect of driving vehicles loans itself enough to racing games, which have licensed soundtrack the most of any genre besides rhythm games, so that it may be able to get away with a licensed soundtrack once again. But if it's a Black game, forget it.
deimonds2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deimonds2
Member since 2010 • 129 Posts
I realy liked the music of tm 2-menu music and others.......so i would like to see music like in Tm 2-not the same, but something like that-and definetly instrumental..........
twistedslu99er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 twistedslu99er
i know that people like the instumental but i beleive that to truely take the game to the next-gen level it needs a soundtrack with lyrics and all.......... also i wud think it wud be super cool to listen to linkin park/metallica/dethtones while play and definantly for the intro
jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jakek
except for they already did that with TM3 and 4 which are generally regarded as the worst in the series (mainly 3). People wouldnt be interested in buying TM because those bands are in it (especially the ones you listed). If you look at the games which are generally regarded as "the best" they have instrumental music, not lyrical songs, especially popular music songs. if you want to listen to songs while playing a TM game, just put the music on mute in the game, and make a playlist of your own songs
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MuddyMaestro
I might have said this already, but Twisted Metal may be close enough to a racer, which typically have licensed lyric-based soundtrack, to possibly be able to get away with it. It all depends on the theme of the game though; if it's going to be really story-based like Twisted Metal Black was, the soundtrack is in place more for setting the atmosphere of the game rather than adding entertainment value. But if it is just going to take itself lightly, and be a bit more cartoonish like TMHO, I think they could get away with licensed soundtrack. Just please, do not assign a single song to each environment, because looping of the songs occurs, and the number of songs is restricted to the number of environments.
jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jakek
yeah i agree with that. if it is story driven it doesnt need licensed songs, but if its not trying to be serious i guess it could be ok. personally id much rather have instrumental because chances are i wouldnt care too much for the soundtrack, especially if it repeats over and over
twistedslu99er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 twistedslu99er
Thats why i said the songs need to fit the theme of the game..... so it would flow with the story/game, then asked what songs you think would do that
jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jakek
but thats just it. i dont really think any licensed songs would fit very well with a story. they may fit with the style of game if its more cartoony. especially if its popular music, it really wont be very "deep" or meaningful toward the story or characters. instrumental music can do a much better job of making you feel a since of ugency or anger or fear
DMethot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DMethot
I disagree. I think Paint it Black was a perfect song to rep TM.
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MuddyMaestro

jakek has a point though, the instrumentals in TM2 really did a lot to set the mood for each specific level. After all, try playing the Antarctica level while listening to licensed soundtrack, or switching up the soundtrack and having a different track for each level. You wouldn't nearly have the fear effect the regular soundtrack puts in. The reason TMIII and TM4 could get away with licensed and generic soundtrack was mostly because, quite frankly, there wasn't much strategy involved, and it's just wild and crazy which Rob Zombie certainly is.

jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jakek
Paint it Black was great for the closing credits and video collaboration, I totally agree with that... but would I want to listen to Paint it Black while trying to play? Not at all. it ruins the effect music has. you are concentrating on killing people while not getting killed, and the music in the background just is kind of there. with lyrics and lyrical songs that have more of a meaning to them, you wouldnt have the full effect because you cant concentrate on it. instrumental music can make you feel something, without having to really pay attention to it. look at star wars movies. mainly episodes iv-vi. there is music going on through almost all of the film (i took a music in film class in college and we studied a lot about the effects of music) but in a way, you dont notice it very much. scenes that are climactic or have strong meaning to them are enhanced with background music, that you take for granted. it would not have been possible to make that same feeling present with lyrical songs.
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MuddyMaestro
So true, especially since you can't listen to the lyrics while you play it because of your concentration. It just gives a neutral feeling when it's just a random rock or metal track playing, often overpowered by the sound effects as well. I totally agree now, unless they want to make another neutral game like the non-Jaffe games, instrumental are the way to go.
DMethot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DMethot
Obviously you don't want to play the actual game with music that's licensed with lyrics. I meant a song to represent the game like Paint it Black did for TM:Black. As for the in game experience, you're right. No need for an actual song, the exciting car chase style music with the ominous feel to it is perfect for this kind of game. I would go nuts and honestly feel distracted if they had some big hit songs playing during each level. I just remember loving to play games like Tony Hawk when it first came out, but I literally couldn't take playing anymore because it meant having to listen to the same 5 songs over and over again. I think devs realize this nowadays, and it wont happen.
jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jakek
yeah totally. it completely depends on the game and the situation of the gameplay. tony hawk isnt really "serious" (as in you cant really lose... you just try again.. and there is not much of a "threat") lyrical songs are way more appropriate that instrumental. i actually prefer it in that situation (loved goldfinger in tony hawk 1). to me it all just depends on the situation you are using it in... as far as gameplay goes, i want instrumental, if they want to pick a song to match the overall theme, such as pain it black for TM:B, that can work too. but like i said this is all just my opinion
twistedslu99er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 twistedslu99er
So jakek if u had to pick a song to represent a new twisted metal like painted black did for TM:B, what wud it be?
jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jakek
hmmm thats a good question. i guess it depends on if its going to be a Black style game or a Head On type game. I'll have to think about my answer to both of those
jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jakek
so after some thoughts about this i've come up with some that fit into a black type game. i dont think any of these are quite as good as Paint it Black though. Thursday - Understanding in a Car Crash Pearl Jam - Do the Evolution Nine Inch Nails - The Wretched Johnny Cash - When the Man Comes Around Metallica - Sanitarium One that came close to making it would be metallica - Master Of Puppets... but the song is so freaking long that i dont think it would work... youd just get tired of it
twistedslu99er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 twistedslu99er
Another song I would think would be good for a TM:Black style song for an intro is Bon Jovi- Dead or Alive
Would put a link but its not letting me for some reason
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MuddyMaestro
I can ensure you of one thing though; if the next Twisted Metal were to have a licensed soundtrack, there will be absolutely no Rob Zombie, Pitchshifter, Cirrus, or any other band that did soundtrack for a Twisted Metal Jaffe didn't work on, since it insinuates the game wants to go back down the direction of the game. In a way it is a bit of a shame, since a lot of Rob Zombie fit the atmosphere of TMIII and TM4 perfectly, and in all of reality was one of the strong points of those games, but at the same time we hope that those game don't go back down those routes.
jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jakek
i have a feeling it wont have any of the music style of 3 or 4 which i find to be a blessing