DMethot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 DMethot
Member since 2006 • 408 Posts

Though the game's announcement is likely put off even further than we hoped, should it include an adventure mode? For example, should the game have missions on foot with certain characters such as GTA, then have the death-match style as a finale for the mission. Should the game stay to it's true form and simply be a car combat game. 

I think the PS3 is certainly the system to work in new aspects to the franchise, but I would be afraid it would take away from the game.

What does everyone else think? 

deimonds2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deimonds2
Member since 2010 • 129 Posts
No.....For me that wouldn't actualy be twisted metal anymore......
DMethot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DMethot
I agree, but these days games can't be a one trick pony anymore or else the ratings and sales suffer. Look at the Tony Hawk franchise. When it first came out, the games were amazing, but people felt the devs were putting out the same game with new levels with nothing else new. Ratings and sales dropped and the franchise is tanking.
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MuddyMaestro
Member since 2009 • 10351 Posts
This is interesting, because in the cancelled Harbor City game, it wea planned that there would be a free-roaming city, though we were never given details if battles would wage when travelling to different locales, and what exactly would happen. There were also supposed to be on-foot missions that you could take on as Sweet Tooth, as you could play through part of in the Bonus Content in TM:HOETE. IN a way, it's almost expected now to have a sort of interactive "Adventure Mode" in a lot of games, but I'm not sure if the free-roaming city was ever such a good idea, it might be fun for the first bit, but after the novelty has worn off I think it might just get a bit annoying to travel the distances.
jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 jakek
Member since 2003 • 1473 Posts
how the control worked for sweet tooth in Harbor City wasn't very good, so they would definitely have to improve that for me to like it. it could be cool to have an adventure mode where you can do things to get upgrades for your car by doing side quests or something. if there is really no point to having the adventure mode, then id rather not have it... just keep the car combat and make it awesome
darthcobain17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 646

User Lists: 1

#6 darthcobain17
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts

I think it would be cool to add a mode like that! But just as you said, only if it doesn't take away from the rest of the game. These days games have to offer more and more lest they suffer bad reviews, etc. like you said. Additional game modes are a good way to give a game more staying power and replayability.

I have always been a little more sensitive to games with lots of options in terms of game modes because I'm an only child. I never had that other person who was always around that I could play games with, so for games like Twisted Metal that are so amazing as multiplayers, it would be nice to have another game mode available that better suits just one player. The extra game mode wouldn't be a deal breaker for me in terms of Twisted Metal as this franchise is one of the best ever, but it would be a nice little addition.

MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MuddyMaestro
Member since 2009 • 10351 Posts

I have never been totally crazy about upgrades, perks, or anything along those lines in online matches, since it makes it so difficult for newcomers to the game to join in. Upgrades in the adventure mode would be neat, but online, I'd prefer if you couldn't use those characters. I am an only child too, and back when the marvelous invention of extra gates for four controllers came about, I didn't use it much, and when I did, rarely for Twisted Metal 4. I have had some fond times playing Twisted Metal games with friends in the past, though it's harder to convince them to play older games like that with technology two generations later out now.But now with onlin, multiplayer is a much bigger part of games, and Twisted Metal could easily offer many different gameplay modes, and inventive ones at that.

darthcobain17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darthcobain17
Yeah, the online feature on most games now certainly open a world of possibilities, but I find I still like to play mostly with friends, in person. Although I just started NHL 2K10 for the Wii so I think I might get involved in some online tournaments, maybe that will jump start my online play a bit more. Keeping the online modes simple and adding various game modes for single & multiplayer modes is definitely the way to go I feel.
victormgs777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#9 victormgs777
Member since 2007 • 228 Posts
It should have an adventure mode where u can drive around a city driving to events and at the same time causing destruction along the way. Like in the Need For Speed games.
darthcobain17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darthcobain17
That would be a good idea, kind of like a free roam thing. That way you could relax and take a tour instead or worrying about somebody trying to blow you up constantly!
jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jakek
yeah that could be cool. dont take offense to this, but what would the point of that be? if it is just you going from battlefield to battlefield without serving much of a purpose then id rather just not have it. it would be kind of nice for a change of pace though
darthcobain17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darthcobain17
It would be nice for a change of pace for sure, but not to be the backbone of the game for sure. Maybe the free roam type of thing as you're going from challenge to challenge could be where you like, maybe purchase upgrades for vehicles or find unlockable content? I agree with not changing drastically the basics of what has made this franchise so successful, but a little extra something to spice it up would be a nice addition. We'll see! Hopefully . . .
DMethot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DMethot
I wasn't thinking along the lines of GTA but more of like the character starts off in the mental institution and you break out, and that's a level in itself. Or having a warhawk chase scene level on the rooftops of New York leading up to the Boss fight. Little things that add substance to the game opposed to you kill 6 to 8 cars in a level, next level loads, you kill 6 to 8 characters in a new level, etc. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that formula or the series would be dead, I was just thinking of the kinds of things that could be added.
jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jakek
yeah that may be ok as long as they would make the controls work out ok. id hate for them to add something like that and not have it working very well so everyone just hates playing through the story mode becuase you have to do those levels
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#16 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

God no. It's a car combat game, not a GTA rip off.

Adding in that kind of thing would kill the gameplay. And it just wouldn't work within TM, either. They stry has always been about calypso running the car combat competition.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#17 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I wasn't thinking along the lines of GTA but more of like the character starts off in the mental institution and you break out, and that's a level in itself. Or having a warhawk chase scene level on the rooftops of New York leading up to the Boss fight. Little things that add substance to the game opposed to you kill 6 to 8 cars in a level, next level loads, you kill 6 to 8 characters in a new level, etc. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that formula or the series would be dead, I was just thinking of the kinds of things that could be added.DMethot
That kind of thing could be REALLY cool.

It could work, but it seems that most of the cahnges they're making to the game are in multiplayer.

icecoldmarty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 icecoldmarty
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

If there was then kinda keep it good in every sense of the word.

You could have good story but bad gameplay it wouldn't make you look good.

DMethot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DMethot
The good news is it seems like these little things will be added. Jaffe keeps mentioning that the reason why there are only three playable characters in SP is because they have these tailored stories that are unique to that character. It will be interesting to hear the details, but so far, it looks like they will deviate from the original formula a bit.
darthcobain17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darthcobain17
Interesting news! I'll be curious to see just what this game looks like when it comes out.