Can I swap Playstation 3 hard drives?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts
Recently, my friend's old ''fat'' PS3 got the YLOD. Since he has no interest in repairing it, he wants buy a new one to replace it. In terms of transferring his data however, I was wondering if it would be possible to take the hard drive out of his busted PS3 and put it into a new one. In case it helps, I also have an old fat PS3 that's still in working order (though I now use my 250 GB Slim model). If need be, I could put his hard drive onto my PS3 and then use the transfer utility to transfer the data from his drive to his new PS3. Also, in terms of actually getting a new PS3. He was wondering if the GTA V bundle that just came out is a good deal, since one of his friends is offering him a barely used PS3 120 GB Slim for 100$ and he isn't much of a gamer ( just wants GTA V and maybe FIFA 14) Thanks for the help
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

#2 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

No, if you put it inot your ps3, your ps3 will format it to only play on your ps3. It will erase all his data too. But you can freely change 2 or more HDD's that are formated to your ps3 without erasing data.