PS+ not required for Cross Game chat (why are we paying for XBLGold again?)

• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 game_masta14
Member since 2005 • 3251 Posts

http://www.gamechup.com/ps4-playstation-plus-details-cross-game-chat-doesnt-require-the-service/

We have some new details on PS Plus for the PS4. It will be required to play online but not for free-to-play games or MMOs. One subscription will grant access to all accounts on that system.

Cross game chat and other media functions wont require the subscription. This includes services like Netflix.

Games will be added and removed just like the current subscription on PS3 and you will be getting one new PS4 game every month. Its not clear whether it would be a PS Plus edition like DriveClub which has altered content.

The subscription isnt required for automatic updates. It will cost $50 or $5 per month. Its something you pay for PS Plus already on PS3 so it really isnt a surprise.

The PS4 will be released sometime later this year and according to some retailer listings in Europe, it could be out on November 13.

SO now that the reason most lems on here use to justify paying for LIVE Gold is being made free on PS4, is there a reason now to pay for LIVE Gold? Sure you have to pay for PS+ to play online but it's cheaper and with the value it brings (including free* games and discounts) it's hard to not see the value it brings to the table.

*The free games are playable so long as your PS+ remains active and they remain in your download list forever whether or not you have PS+

Avatar image for CallOfDutyRulez
CallOfDutyRulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CallOfDutyRulez
Member since 2013 • 1602 Posts

Would American patriotism be a good answer?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
By gamers for gamers, the Sony way and it's part of the Live, Learn and Love culture.
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
XBLG gets free games and discounts too. They seem nearly the same now. Except PSN is cheaper and is connected to the better console (PS4)
game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 game_masta14
Member since 2005 • 3251 Posts

XBLG gets free games...Badosh
Yeah about that, I've heard that it's only until the release of the Xbox One80 then that promo ends.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Badosh
[QUOTE="Badosh"]XBLG gets free games and discounts too.game_masta14
Yeah about that, I've heard that it's only until the release of the Xbox One80 then that promo ends.

For now, I'm sure if they get more subs because of it, they'll continue it. Either way, you keep the games forever, and discounts will continue.
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

MMO's were always separate to XBLG and i'd imagine F2P games will also be. Cross game chat for free is awesome though. Wonder if MS will follow suit now that Skype is integrated into the X1.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
You don't need gold for cross game chat :|. Unless this is party chat, this news means jack shit.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

In other news, PSN players are only paying for multiplayer. Justified.

Oh by the way, you can cross game chat with Xbox Live Silver. 

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Badosh
You don't need gold for cross game chat :|. Unless this is party chat, this news means jack shit.rjdofu
This too, lol.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50584 Posts

XBLG gets free games and discounts too. They seem nearly the same now. Except PSN is cheaper and is connected to the better console (PS4)Badosh
Except you don't get any "free" games after x1 launches

I'd rather them have cross game chat with PS+ and have online play free, damnit.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts
:lol: Lemmings like paying for M$ to own their butts they'll always find a way to justify paying for XBL even when there are no reasons to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

:lol: Lemmings like paying for M$ to own their butts they'll always find a way to justify paying for XBL even when there are no reasons to.I_can_haz
But now cows have to pay for the exact same thing that free last gen. :?

Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
XBLG gets free games and discounts too. They seem nearly the same now. Except PSN is cheaper and is connected to the better console (PS4)Badosh
they just started copying PSN; and i wouldn't call offering Halo 3 and AC2 nearly the same as what PSN has offered...lol
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

[QUOTE="I_can_haz"]:lol: Lemmings like paying for M$ to own their butts they'll always find a way to justify paying for XBL even when there are no reasons to.PonchoTaco

ughh some games don't require a subcription, planetside 2, dcu, warframe and i'm sure other f2p games will follow. Whats your next excuse
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 I_can_haz

[QUOTE="I_can_haz"]:lol: Lemmings like paying for M$ to own their butts they'll always find a way to justify paying for XBL even when there are no reasons to.PonchoTaco

Thanks to lemmings. If XBL wasn't such a success with dumb lems Sony wouldn't have had a need to copy M$ in that regard. Anyways, PS+ is still a much better deal than XBL which is why I'm an annual subscriber for it on PS3 even without the need to have it to play online :cool:.
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 I_can_haz
[QUOTE="PonchoTaco"]

[QUOTE="I_can_haz"]:lol: Lemmings like paying for M$ to own their butts they'll always find a way to justify paying for XBL even when there are no reasons to.Chris_Williams

ughh some games don't require a subcription, planetside 2, dcu, warframe and i'm sure other f2p games will follow. Whats your next excuse

He has none :lol:
Avatar image for ShoulderOfOrion
ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ShoulderOfOrion
Member since 2013 • 3379 Posts
We've gone from "I would never support a company locking out a portion of the game I paid for" to "we don't have to pay for PSN+ to play free to play games online or use voice chat."
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts
This is next generation shit right here!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
[QUOTE="PonchoTaco"]

[QUOTE="I_can_haz"]:lol: Lemmings like paying for M$ to own their butts they'll always find a way to justify paying for XBL even when there are no reasons to.Chris_Williams

All are sub par games. Only hold interest for about an hour or two.
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 I_can_haz
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="PonchoTaco"]But now cows have to pay for the exact same thing that free last gen. :?PonchoTaco

:lol: PS2 is subpar? Wow......just wow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
[QUOTE="I_can_haz"][QUOTE="PonchoTaco"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] ughh some games don't require a subcription, planetside 2, dcu, warframe and i'm sure other f2p games will follow. Whats your next excuse

I've had the game downloaded since it was released. Only played for about an hour and it was meh.
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 I_can_haz
[QUOTE="PonchoTaco"][QUOTE="I_can_haz"][QUOTE="PonchoTaco"] All are sub par games. Only hold interest for about an hour or two.

I've had the game downloaded since it was released. Only played for about an hour and it was meh.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Giving out AC2 for free ( XBLA ) is the same as giving out Uncharted 3, LBP Karting and Dues Ex?? you forget that PS+ gives more than 4 games sometimes a week and in a month more than 9 or 10 so they are not nearly similar but very far off.

PS+ also is one service acorss 3 systems ( PS3, PSVita and PS4 ) not to mention $10 cheaper which you noted.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chris_Williams
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="PonchoTaco"]But now cows have to pay for the exact same thing that free last gen. :?PonchoTaco

sorry you have the attention span of a goldfish but that isn't sony's problem, what i'm just trying to say is you get more bang for your buck. Plus if you own a ps3, vita and get a ps4 and you have ps+ you will have different games to play every week and if you don't feel like paying for it you still have access to multiplayer games FOR FREE something microsoft is never going to do since they always run a closed network.
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Badosh
Giving out AC2 for free ( XBLA ) is the same as giving out Uncharted 3, LBP Karting and Dues Ex??finalstar2007
Sure, they are all games I don't give a shit about.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Xbox Live wouldn't be so bad if they gave silver members a bone. They try to make Gold seem like it offers more by locking so many features out of the silver membership, but it doesn't come off as 'wow Gold offers me a lot', it comes off as 'wow, MS wants me to pay to use my own Netflix?' 'I cant even use the internet explorer app without a gold membership?'
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
You have to pay to play multiplayer on PSN :lol: Stop the DC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="PonchoTaco"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] ughh some games don't require a subcription, planetside 2, dcu, warframe and i'm sure other f2p games will follow. Whats your next excuse

sorry you have the attention span of a goldfish but that isn't sony's problem, what i'm just trying to say is you get more bang for your buck. Plus if you own a ps3, vita and get a ps4 and you have ps+ you will have different games to play every week and if you don't feel like paying for it you still have access to multiplayer games FOR FREE something microsoft is never going to do since they always run a closed network.

Eh, I've been doing that since forever with my PC. Consolites are just getting this? Good to hear.
rell84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rell84
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

ps4 day motherfvcking 1 ps plus >>>>> xbl gold FACT 

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chris_Williams
[QUOTE="PonchoTaco"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="PonchoTaco"] All are sub par games. Only hold interest for about an hour or two.

Eh, I've been doing that since forever with my PC. Consolites are just getting this? Good to hear.

i do it on my pc all the time too but i'm not a fanboy when I see a service thats way better in value then the other (psn + versus xbox live)
Suitcaseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Suitcaseman
Member since 2013 • 43 Posts
XBL has tons more stuff than PSN and tons more features. The only thing that make sense here that is being said is that you can rent free games from PSN+, but atm, the XBL has a similar thing. Except you keep the games instead of rent them. It seems people are just trying to justify the price, the same things people said PSN was better than Xboxlive on the PS3, is the same reasons that they think its worth paying for all of a sudden?
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

In other news, PSN players are only paying for multiplayer. Justified.

Oh by the way, you can cross game chat with Xbox Live Silver. 

PonchoTaco
/thread
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chris_Williams
[QUOTE="Suitcaseman"]XBL has tons more stuff than PSN and tons more features. The only thing that make sense here that is being said is that you can rent free games from PSN+, but atm, the XBL has a similar thing. Except you keep the games instead of rent them. It seems people are just trying to justify the price, the same things people said PSN was better than Xboxlive on the PS3, is the same reasons that they think its worth paying for all of a sudden?

and what are these tons more stuff that xbox live has?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

[QUOTE="PonchoTaco"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] sorry you have the attention span of a goldfish but that isn't sony's problem, what i'm just trying to say is you get more bang for your buck. Plus if you own a ps3, vita and get a ps4 and you have ps+ you will have different games to play every week and if you don't feel like paying for it you still have access to multiplayer games FOR FREE something microsoft is never going to do since they always run a closed network. Chris_Williams

i do it on my pc all the time too but i'm not a fanboy when I see a service thats way better in value then the other (psn + versus xbox live)

I'm no fan boy either. I just don't see any justification for buying a $60 game and not having the whole game unlocked from the get-go.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="Suitcaseman"]XBL has tons more stuff than PSN and tons more features. The only thing that make sense here that is being said is that you can rent free games from PSN+, but atm, the XBL has a similar thing. Except you keep the games instead of rent them. It seems people are just trying to justify the price, the same things people said PSN was better than Xboxlive on the PS3, is the same reasons that they think its worth paying for all of a sudden?

Play one. Then play the other. Live is vastly superior. It is an objective fact. Xbox Live is worse for price gauging you though, as without a membership fee you get jack squat. 90% of the console's functionality is dead to you. Single player games. That's about it.
TheDidact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheDidact
Member since 2012 • 3986 Posts

But they're still paying for the free games they've been paying for this gen with PS+
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 I_can_haz

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="Suitcaseman"]XBL has tons more stuff than PSN and tons more features. The only thing that make sense here that is being said is that you can rent free games from PSN+, but atm, the XBL has a similar thing. Except you keep the games instead of rent them. It seems people are just trying to justify the price, the same things people said PSN was better than Xboxlive on the PS3, is the same reasons that they think its worth paying for all of a sudden?Ninja-Hippo

Play one. Then play the other. Live is vastly superior. It is an objective fact. Xbox Live is worse for price gauging you though, as without a membership fee you get jack squat. 90% of the console's functionality is dead to you. Single player games. That's about it.

>Says it's an objective fact

>Fails to list reasons why it's an objective fact.

Story of SW.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chris_Williams
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="Suitcaseman"]XBL has tons more stuff than PSN and tons more features. The only thing that make sense here that is being said is that you can rent free games from PSN+, but atm, the XBL has a similar thing. Except you keep the games instead of rent them. It seems people are just trying to justify the price, the same things people said PSN was better than Xboxlive on the PS3, is the same reasons that they think its worth paying for all of a sudden?

great opinion there buddy
legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 legalize82
Member since 2013 • 2293 Posts
By gamers for gamers, the Sony way and it's part of the Live, Learn and Love culture. Heil68
this...
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] and what are these tons more stuff that xbox live has? Chris_Williams

Its not an opinion, its fact. I'm not surprised you're confused though, as someone who never plays on the Xbox.

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 legalize82
so wrongggggg.... psn+ u get 8 a month and not 8 year old games
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ninja-Hippo

Story of SW.

I_can_haz
The entire point that the very short post was making is that one is an all-round better experience than the other which requires that a person sit down and spend time with it rather than just listing features side by side.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] Play one. Then play the other. Live is vastly superior. It is an objective fact. Xbox Live is worse for price gauging you though, as without a membership fee you get jack squat. 90% of the console's functionality is dead to you. Single player games. That's about it. RR360DD

Its not an opinion, its fact. I'm not surprised you're confused though, as someone who never plays on the Xbox.

i have a 360 and had live when I got a trial for it, after it ended i went back to playing multiplayer games on my ps3, obviously must not have been that special if I didn't see what the hell people were paying for.
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 I_can_haz
[QUOTE="I_can_haz"]

Story of SW.

Ninja-Hippo
The entire point that the very short post was making is that one is an all-round better experience than the other which requires that a person sit down and spend time with it rather than just listing features side by side.

What you're describing sounds like an opinion not an objective fact. If you say something is an objective fact you should be able to list reasons why it is.
rell84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rell84
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

the reaching is very strong coming from xbox stans funny lems wanted online to drop free so they could have bragging rights but nope all they hear is how ps4 will have cross game chat without having ps plus d@mn :lol:

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5946 Posts
Xbox live on Xbox One has dedicated servers, end of discussion. Come back when PSN has grown up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

the reaching is very strong coming from xbox stans funny lems wanted online to drop free so they could have bragging rights but nope all they hear is how ps4 will have cross game chat without having ps plus d@mn :lol:

rell84
You don't have to have gold to cross-game chat.
Suitcaseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Suitcaseman
Member since 2013 • 43 Posts
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="Suitcaseman"]XBL has tons more stuff than PSN and tons more features. The only thing that make sense here that is being said is that you can rent free games from PSN+, but atm, the XBL has a similar thing. Except you keep the games instead of rent them. It seems people are just trying to justify the price, the same things people said PSN was better than Xboxlive on the PS3, is the same reasons that they think its worth paying for all of a sudden?

Features, deals, store, music, movies, ordering, contests, Gamerpoints can be redeemed for prices, speed, upload speed, download speed, atm web surfing speed, more games this gen for download, includes arcade, includes indies, includes GOD, More connectivity options with outside devices, Office is coming etc.
legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 legalize82
[QUOTE="I_can_haz"]

Story of SW.

Ninja-Hippo

the entire point is that u dont have a clue... psn+ >>>>>>>> xbox live dont try to twist it