This topic is locked from further discussion.

GNation00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GNation00
Member since 2013 • 31 Posts
I currently play Tera right now and as some of you know; Rift is going free2play. I was wondering what you opinions are on either of the games are and which one you would choose. Im looking to play an MMORPG seriously and don't feel like dishing out money mostly because I can barely afford things. So..How would you rate/what is your opinion on the (blank) on either or both of the games?: Graphics: ? Gameplay: ? Combat: ? PVP: ? PVE/Questing: ? And anything else you would like to add.......
Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

I tried Rift and liked Tera more.  I couldn't go back to the old style of combat.  And you've been making a lot of mmo threads lately.  Just try them out if they are free to play.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Rift all day long over Tera.

To be honest I'm just not a Tera fan though. :)

MikeFlavaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 MikeFlavaz
Member since 2011 • 188 Posts

I've played tons of mmos including Rift and Tera. Reached top level in both games.  And, I've played Rift recently since the big xpac. 

Rift

My conclusions and option of Rift is that it's overall, pretty fun.  It has a really cool but alittle daunting talent system where many unique builds are possible.  The graphics are very solid but nothing to write home about.  The Pve endgame is very similar to wow's. The pvp in Rift is in my opinion, not up to snub.  Not much world pvp. Only one pvp server, although that doesn't matter to me.  Questing is pretty bland in rift although the instant adventures are pretty cool.  The dungeons and bosses are standard, as in wow's.  And the Combat is just like wow's although it's alittle more lacking imo.  The movement and animations especially are not all that great. all and all though, Rift is a very sold mmo and in the top 5 of best mmos. Perhaps in the top 3.

Tera

Tera's Graphics are beautiful. Tera's enemies and Bams(Big ass monsters spread across the world) Are awesome looking. The dungeons are standard but fun. The bosses in the game have alot more movement to them and are much better than wow and rift.  The combat is action style, and it's overall very good. But there are some big drawbacks. For most classes, you cannot move and cast/attack simultaneously. You also cannot walk backwards which makes tanking a pain. There are also no strafe buttons, which affects pvp gameplay the most imo.  There's also some weird annoyances like invisible walls on clifs and some other places. Not a big deal but still, worth mentioning. the questing is just like rift, pretty dull.  The talent system is not that special in Tera. However, when you get higher level, abilities chain off of one another pretty fast and combat is still pretty damn good compared to wow and rift.  The endgame in Tera is mostly high lvl dungeons and world bosses/bams.  World pvp is really big in tera. And guilds can and do declare war on other guilds. There's also a political system in Tera, where players can run for vanguard of certain zones and are elected by other players. They can drasticaly change laws of the zone and raise vendor prices. Tera is very alive with people. Lots of players everywhere. 

Just to add another, Guild Wars 2 is a very good game. The endgame isn't terribly special at the moment but the combat in that game is the best out of any mmo by far, in my humble opinion.  it's a perfect mix of action combat with traditional tab targeting and aoe style combat.  The movement and gameplay is excellent. The graphics are as good as Tera. Tera and guild wars 2 have the best mmo graphics by a long long shot.  The way you spec in guild wars 2 is just about as interesting as rift. Weapons as well as skills have different abilities. You can swap weapons mid battle, and pair different weapons and weapon sets to create a unique playstyle.  The questing in guild wars 2 is the best questing in any mmo. No more quest text. Npc's in this game talk. 

Perhaps you've tried gw2 and didn't like it and that's why it's not your thread, however I had much more fun playing guild wars 2 and I believe it to be the far superior game in just about every respect compared to Rift and Tera. 

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts

I've played tons of mmos including Rift and Tera. Reached top level in both games.  And, I've played Rift recently since the big xpac. 

Rift

My conclusions and option of Rift is that it's overall, pretty fun.  It has a really cool but alittle daunting talent system where many unique builds are possible.  The graphics are very solid but nothing to write home about.  The Pve endgame is very similar to wow's. The pvp in Rift is in my opinion, not up to snub.  Not much world pvp. Only one pvp server, although that doesn't matter to me.  Questing is pretty bland in rift although the instant adventures are pretty cool.  The dungeons and bosses are standard, as in wow's.  And the Combat is just like wow's although it's alittle more lacking imo.  The movement and animations especially are not all that great. all and all though, Rift is a very sold mmo and in the top 5 of best mmos. Perhaps in the top 3.

Tera

Tera's Graphics are beautiful. Tera's enemies and Bams(Big ass monsters spread across the world) Are awesome looking. The dungeons are standard but fun. The bosses in the game have alot more movement to them and are much better than wow and rift.  The combat is action style, and it's overall very good. But there are some big drawbacks. For most classes, you cannot move and cast/attack simultaneously. You also cannot walk backwards which makes tanking a pain. There are also no strafe buttons, which affects pvp gameplay the most imo.  There's also some weird annoyances like invisible walls on clifs and some other places. Not a big deal but still, worth mentioning. the questing is just like rift, pretty dull.  The talent system is not that special in Tera. However, when you get higher level, abilities chain off of one another pretty fast and combat is still pretty damn good compared to wow and rift.  The endgame in Tera is mostly high lvl dungeons and world bosses/bams.  World pvp is really big in tera. And guilds can and do declare war on other guilds. There's also a political system in Tera, where players can run for vanguard of certain zones and are elected by other players. They can drasticaly change laws of the zone and raise vendor prices. Tera is very alive with people. Lots of players everywhere. 

Just to add another, Guild Wars 2 is a very good game. The endgame isn't terribly special at the moment but the combat in that game is the best out of any mmo by far, in my humble opinion.  it's a perfect mix of action combat with traditional tab targeting and aoe style combat.  The movement and gameplay is excellent. The graphics are as good as Tera. Tera and guild wars 2 have the best mmo graphics by a long long shot.  The way you spec in guild wars 2 is just about as interesting as rift. Weapons as well as skills have different abilities. You can swap weapons mid battle, and pair different weapons and weapon sets to create a unique playstyle.  The questing in guild wars 2 is the best questing in any mmo. No more quest text. Npc's in this game talk. 

Perhaps you've tried gw2 and didn't like it and that's why it's not your thread, however I had much more fun playing guild wars 2 and I believe it to be the far superior game in just about every respect compared to Rift and Tera. 

MikeFlavaz

k that sounds pretty cool. think ill have to try this tera

GNation00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GNation00
Member since 2013 • 31 Posts
Yeah. I currently play Tera right now and IMO its amazing! Just tried RIFT lite version and I have to say IMO the game is pretty dull.
-FrankY-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -FrankY-
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Once you start playing games with a more action based combat it's impossible to go back to the old tab/click targetting system. It's just boring... that's why currently I'm giving TERA and Neverwinter a try. Rift is dull as you said... but still there's a promo right now to get the full game for free, which sould give you some benefits once the game goes F2P, so I'm getting just in case I change my mind.
Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

Rift is much better than Tera. I dont like teras combat at all and the quests are some of the worst ive ever done.

-FrankY-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -FrankY-
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
The quests are the regular stuff. Rift's quests (so far) are also pretty generic stuff. Maybe a bit better but not that much different. However I''ll give you that the world is better thought of (e.g., I like the dual faction system).
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts
[QUOTE="GNation00"]I currently play Tera right now and as some of you know; Rift is going free2play. I was wondering what you opinions are on either of the games are and which one you would choose. Im looking to play an MMORPG seriously and don't feel like dishing out money mostly because I can barely afford things. So..How would you rate/what is your opinion on the (blank) on either or both of the games?: Graphics: ? Gameplay: ? Combat: ? PVP: ? PVE/Questing: ? And anything else you would like to add.......

go with rift. i played rift anf liked it but went back to wow because nothing can compete with wow even when it's watered down. go with wow.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts

Rift is much more vast than Tera. I played Rift for over a year. Lost interest in Tera right after hitting "endgame"

Tera has almost no endgame. The journey getting there is almost unsurpassed with the amazing graphics and beautiful scenery. However, aside from the gimmicky political system, I found it just a bore. Leveling a alt requries you to go to the same zones and do the same quests all over again. It gets quite grindy in later levels as well. Tera I felt had good PVP and mediocre PVE

Rift on the other hand has great PVE, and subpar PVP. The game does wonderful giving you the illusion of infinite choices when in reality there are only a few viable options for each class. The alternate advancement system is a nice touch. 

Overall I'd have to say neither, but Rift definitely did hold my attention longer. 

B00GIEL0VE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 B00GIEL0VE
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Eh, neither.

Rift was okay, but Tera was REALLY boring.  Seriously, everytime I logged into Tera, I was falling asleep while trying to gain experience.  And what was with the scantily clad child race?  Can we say creeeeppppyyyyyyyy.

PopeZaphod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PopeZaphod
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I played RIFT from around 1.4 through the xpac and f2p changes. It is a solid standard MMO with good raids, lovely graphics, and some fun dungeons. It caught my eye after the bloom fell off of WoW's rose for me. I ended up quitting after too much guild drama, though, and started playing TERA. I am really liking TERA. The action MMO playstyle is different than standard MMOing and I welcome the difference. I tried Neverwinter until I reached max level and got bored and disillusioned by the crap endgame there VERY quickly. TERA's graphics are lovely, although the female... attributes are very exaggerated. There are lovely cutscenes and some decent voice acting. I am currently Lv47 out of 60 in TERA and am looking forward to exploring endgame. I think it really boils down to your playstyle. If you want a solid, fun, classic-style MMO, go with RIFT. If you want something more action-oriented with some atypical races, go with TERA. Since they're both f2p you can easily try both and go with the one you like more.
Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

Rift all the way better then Tera,  only combat is better in TERA but, TERA as whole is crap in compare with RIFT, RIFT better graphics, better PVE , PVP ,Questin , Raids , Dungeons , Talent , Soul , Skill tree system build, Even crafting i like more in RIFT. Played Rift like 1500 hours, and 100 + - TERA,..