Poll: Americans Want Free Stuff, Paid for by Others

This topic is locked from further discussion.

weedfacekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 weedfacekilla
Member since 2009 • 435 Posts

Says Politico: The American public overwhelmingly favors raising taxes on the rich as a way to pay down the deficit, while opposing a hike in the Medicare eligibility age or eliminating tax deductions, according to a poll released Wednesday.

For Medicare and Social Security to remain solvent, the U.S. government would have to invest over $220 trillion right now, and get a roughly five percent rate of return. Medicare alone accounts for easily 80% of that. And the American public wont tolerate even a two-year extension of the retirement age.

Meanwhile, they think successful people owe them money. Someone who earns, say, $300K per year does so not because of political connections or cronyism. Those people earn in the millions. The $300K guy is the person who worked his tail off over many years of serving the public in some valuable way. And complete strangers think they have the right to a portion of his life. Of five days of this guys labor, these people feel entitled to at least two of them. A total stranger to them. He owes them at least 40% of his life.

(Incidentally, add up the sales taxes people pay every day, plus the extra-high taxes for parking and hotels, plus state income taxes, plus property taxes, plus gas taxes, plus all the taxes you see listed on your cable bill, and on and on, and your tax payment winds up a lot higher than whatever federal income tax rate happens to hit you.)

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
The money that would be given to the government through tax hikes on the wealthy could run the federal government for a total of 8 days. What we really need is decreased spending, not more taxes.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Why is it that right-wing posters always defende the "hard working rich" but always decry the "hard working poor" as lazy, selfish and far more interested in other people's money?

Someone please enlighten me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
People are dumb. (I would also like free stuff) Time for a math assessment for voting rights?
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

You and everyone else who cries "wealth redistribution" clearly doesnt understand the issue at hand and is just shouting the conservative battle cry. This has nothing to do with taking from the rich to give to the poor (although some democrats like Obama painted that narrative). This is about Bush creating a very large and TEMPORARY tax break to help stimulate the economy. The tax break was made temporary because it was too big to be sustained. We cant afford it long term.

But some are trying to make it permanent by painting this as a tax increase. NO. Let the TEMPORARY tax breaks expire like they were meant to. Feel free to make new tax breaks that we can afford but the Bush tax cuts were made temporary for a reason.

weedfacekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 weedfacekilla

Why is it that right-wing posters always defende the "hard working rich" but always decry the "hard working poor" as lazy, selfish and far more interested in other people's money?

Someone please enlighten me.

jimkabrhel
because it's usually the poor that overwhelmingly votes to take someone else's money for their own benefit, look I'm not defending all the rich people, those that got rich by building a legit business i respect, that doesn't mean i support the rich that got rich by passing certain regulations to beat out competitors or basically used crony capitalism.

You and everyone else who cries "wealth redistribution" clearly doesnt understand the issue at hand and is just shouting the conservative battle cry. This has nothing to do with taking from the rich to give to the poor (although some democrats like Obama painted that narrative). This is about Bush creating a very large and TEMPORARY tax break to help stimulate the economy. The tax break was made temporary because it was too big to be sustained. We cant afford it long term.

But some are trying to make it permanent by painting this as a tax increase. NO. Let the TEMPORARY tax breaks expire like they were meant to. Feel free to make new tax breaks that we can afford but the Bush tax cuts were made temporary for a reason.

Diablo-B
so, raising taxes is healthy for the economy?
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Says Politico: The American public overwhelmingly favors raising taxes on the rich as a way to pay down the deficit, while opposing a hike in the Medicare eligibility age or eliminating tax deductions, according to a poll released Wednesday.

For Medicare and Social Security to remain solvent, the U.S. government would have to invest over $220 trillion right now, and get a roughly five percent rate of return. Medicare alone accounts for easily 80% of that. And the American public wont tolerate even a two-year extension of the retirement age.

Meanwhile, they think successful people owe them money. Someone who earns, say, $300K per year does so not because of political connections or cronyism. Those people earn in the millions. The $300K guy is the person who worked his tail off over many years of serving the public in some valuable way. And complete strangers think they have the right to a portion of his life. Of five days of this guys labor, these people feel entitled to at least two of them. A total stranger to them. He owes them at least 40% of his life.

(Incidentally, add up the sales taxes people pay every day, plus the extra-high taxes for parking and hotels, plus state income taxes, plus property taxes, plus gas taxes, plus all the taxes you see listed on your cable bill, and on and on, and your tax payment winds up a lot higher than whatever federal income tax rate happens to hit you.)

weedfacekilla

In my opinion, people like you are monsters, in your perfect world defective children would be left in the woods to die spartan fashion to avoid them be a 'burden' to you.

weedfacekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 weedfacekilla

i think a better option would be to cut wasteful military spending rather than cut people's benefits although we need less spending overall

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

How does wanting to raise taxes on wealthy to pay down the deficity=thinking rich people own them money?

It is simply recognized that the wealthy will be less economically impacted by increased taxes.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to maintain entitlements. People have to make ends meet and entitlements help them do just that.

That being said, we do need to fiscally restructure entitlements.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts
In my opinion, people like you are monsters, in your perfect world defective children would be left in the woods to die spartan fashion to avoid them be a 'burden' to you.tenaka2
Fiscal conservatism is not equal to eugenics.
weedfacekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 weedfacekilla

[QUOTE="weedfacekilla"]

tenaka2

In my opinion, people like you are monsters, in your perfect world defective children would be left in the woods to die spartan fashion to avoid them be a 'burden' to you.

In my opinion, people like you who think they're benevolent because they take people's money at gun point clearly don't understand charity, point me to a time in American history where there were kids starving because we didn't have wealth redistribution, what you mention (defective children) is a very small portion of the population that CHARITY could take care of them. the monsters are people like you who think the world owes them something
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="weedfacekilla"]

weedfacekilla

In my opinion, people like you who think they're benevolent because they take people's money at gun point clearly don't understand charity, point me to a time in American history where there were kids starving because we didn't have wealth redistribution, what you mention (defective children) is a very small portion of the population that CHARITY could take care of them. the monsters are people like you who think the world owes them something

If charity alone could address all the need out there, there would be no reason for entitlements/welfare/etc. Charity can help, but the funds of charities are hardly robust or stable enough to shoulder the immense burden that the government takes upon itself.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mingmao3046

[QUOTE="weedfacekilla"]

tenaka2

Yea they sure are greedy for wanting to let people keep the money they earn, meanwhile the democrats are so benign and generous because they want to take as much of your money as possible
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"] Fiscal conservatism is not equal to eugenics.

This..no one is saying remove safety nets for the people...what I'm saying is to remove people that won't help themselves from the safety nets.....there needs to be serious restructuring of all entitlements....even if we tax "the Rich" at a 90% rate....it's not enough to keep the country going as is.....
weedfacekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 weedfacekilla

[QUOTE="weedfacekilla"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

GreySeal9

If charity alone could address all the need out there, there would be no reason for entitlements/welfare/etc. Charity can help, but the funds of charities are hardly robust or stable enough to shoulder the immense burden that the government takes upon itself.

Again, point me to a time in American history where this is true.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
who gets to define what spending is wasteful?
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Diablo-B

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]

weedfacekilla

so, raising taxes is healthy for the economy?

Personally I think its dumb that debt reduction is taking precedent over job creation and ending the war (how the hell do you fight wars and think you can balance the budget, wars are the most expensive thing you can do). But this has little to do with wealth redistribution. Republicans have for 4 years been trying to make the Bush tax cut permanenteven though they make up over 40% of the deficit. The day Bush signed those tax cuts was the day Clinton's budget SURPLUS disappeared. We cant afford to make these cut permanent. What sense does it make to cut funding to programs we used to be able to afford under Clinton just to keep temporary cuts that was one of the many causes for the deficit in the first place (along with the wars).

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]In my opinion, people like you are monsters, in your perfect world defective children would be left in the woods to die spartan fashion to avoid them be a 'burden' to you.jim_shorts

Its the end result.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="weedfacekilla"] In my opinion, people like you who think they're benevolent because they take people's money at gun point clearly don't understand charity, point me to a time in American history where there were kids starving because we didn't have wealth redistribution, what you mention (defective children) is a very small portion of the population that CHARITY could take care of them. the monsters are people like you who think the world owes them somethingweedfacekilla

Pretty much any time in U.S. history prior to FDR.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="weedfacekilla"] In my opinion, people like you who think they're benevolent because they take people's money at gun point clearly don't understand charity, point me to a time in American history where there were kids starving because we didn't have wealth redistribution, what you mention (defective children) is a very small portion of the population that CHARITY could take care of them. the monsters are people like you who think the world owes them somethingweedfacekilla

You do realize that entitlements/safety nets were a result of a period of history in which people were starving, right?

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts

weedfacekilla
Amen to this. Parking my two private jets is expensive. Thankfully my place offers a park-two-jets-get-the-third-spot-free deal.
weedfacekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 weedfacekilla

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]In my opinion, people like you are monsters, in your perfect world defective children would be left in the woods to die spartan fashion to avoid them be a 'burden' to you.tenaka2

Its the end result.

point me to a time in American history where there were poor kids starving because we didn't have wealth redistribution.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="weedfacekilla"]

weedfacekilla

Sorry, you are not a charitable person, you are simply greedy. Where would this charity come from if everyone thought like you?

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]In my opinion, people like you are monsters, in your perfect world defective children would be left in the woods to die spartan fashion to avoid them be a 'burden' to you.tenaka2

Its the end result.

Well there goes your credibility.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mingmao3046

tenaka2

Sorry, you are not a charitable person, you are simply greedy. Where would this charity come from if everyone thought like you?

Greedy for wanting to keep the money you've earned? lmao
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Diablo-B
[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"] Fiscal conservatism is not equal to eugenics.weedfacekilla

Its the end result.

point me to a time in American history where there were poor kids starving because we didn't have wealth redistribution.

The great depression. You're welcome
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
If anything we should lower the medicare eligibility age.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

tumblr_m72dr9F9x21r2am86o1_1280.jpg

just gonna leave this here

weedfacekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 weedfacekilla

tenaka2

t_XUUf.jpg

i guess it makes me greedy to want to keep the money I've earned

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"] Fiscal conservatism is not equal to eugenics.weedfacekilla

Its the end result.

1930s.. obviously oblivious to the great depression.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Diablo-B
[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="weedfacekilla"] In my opinion, people like you who think they're benevolent because they take people's money at gun point clearly don't understand charity, point me to a time in American history where there were kids starving because we didn't have wealth redistribution, what you mention (defective children) is a very small portion of the population that CHARITY could take care of them. the monsters are people like you who think the world owes them somethingmingmao3046

Greedy for wanting to keep the money you've earned? lmao

So allowing temporary tax cuts, that were too big to be afforded permanently, to finally expire is wealth redistribution? I think not.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

t_XUUf.jpg

I would guess you are more of an idealist rather then an actual earner.

weedfacekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 weedfacekilla

Its the end result.

Diablo-B

obviously oblivious to what caused and prolonged the great depression, oh that's right, the Federal Reserve printing money throughout the 20's, bubble burst close to the 30's and hoover and FDR prolonged it..... guess why you never heard of the great depression of 1920... it goes against all conventional wisdom of government intervention in the economy.

thanks just needed a reason to post that link. sucka

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Diablo-B

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

t_XUUf.jpg

Curious. Would you suggest that social security and medicare be ended and massive federal tax cuts be implemented instead?
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tenaka2

Wanting to live in a society while not contribute to it simply make you a paracite.

Weedkiller, as you wish to add nothing to your society, perhaps you should leave it, find a forest, grow some crops, pick them and hudle around your camp fire at night hugging your carrots and potatoes while crying 'mine' into the night.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Diablo-B

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"][QUOTE="weedfacekilla"] point me to a time in American history where there were poor kids starving because we didn't have wealth redistribution.weedfacekilla

obviously oblivious to what caused and prolonged the great depression, oh that's right, the Federal Reserve printing money throughout the 20's, bubble burst close to the 30's and hoover and FDR prolonged it..... guess why you never heard of the great depression of 1920... it goes against all conventional wisdom of government intervention in the economy.

Should we over tax the rich to give free hand out to the poor? NO. Is anyone trying to do that? NO. Can someone please explain to me how letting TEMPORARY tax cuts expire (like they were designed to) is wealth redistribution?

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

When the Bush tax cuts were signed into law, spending and government waste should have been cut or eliminated. When the wars began, taxes should have been increased to cover the costs of the wars.

This country wants the cake and eat it too. Seriously, you can't have more spending and less taxes while expecting a surplus. As for the Bush Tax Cuts, I support repealing it as well as decreased spending so that we can cover the deficit. That and eliminate tax loopholes, especially for businesses. No, I'm not advocating the destruction of capitalism or business but rather that no businesses, regardless of its size or "importance" should benefit from government aid.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#38 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
what's wrong with wanting free Pez?
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Is anyone shocked?

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

what's wrong with wanting free Pez?Allicrombie

If I were president, I would give every single American free Pez.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tenaka2

[QUOTE="weedfacekilla"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

Diablo-B

t_XUUf.jpg

Curious. Would you suggest that social security and medicare be ended and massive federal tax cuts be implemented instead?

I like people like the op 'I love street lights, but why should 'I' pay for them, priceless.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
what's wrong with wanting free Pez?Allicrombie
First Pez...then it's a Pez dispenser....then we're paying for your Diabetes meds....think we're made of money?...
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Are those people that constantly defend the rich and oppose raising taxes on them really that rich :P
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Diablo-B

[QUOTE="weedfacekilla"]

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]

Diablo-B

Should we over tax the rich to give free hand out to the poor? NO. Is anyone trying to do that? NO. Can someone please explain to me how letting TEMPORARY tax cuts expire (like they were designed to) is wealth redistribution?

Im still waiting for someone to answer this question. How is letting tax cuts with an experation date finally expire wealth redistribution?

waiting

Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kamekazi_69
Member since 2006 • 4704 Posts

Everyones greedy. Look at black friday and those people who fought and punched eachother for an eight dollar toaster at Wal-Mart. Decrease taxes, and decrease spending, cut regulation, and bring back more manufactoring. No one should be denounced for wanting to keep the money they earned if they are already paying taxes.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

who gets to define what spending is wasteful?comp_atkins

random nuts on a forum do, silly...

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Diablo-B
wis3boi
I just realized, Ariel Rebel is in your sig. [High Five]
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

GreySeal9

More like the immense burden the government forces upon productive citizens who have decent jobs.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"] Diablo-B
I just realized, Ariel Rebel is in your sig. [High Five]

<3

GazaAli