Minnesota man charged with murder for killing two teens during alleged burglary

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

LITTLE FALLS, MINN. - Insisting the case crosses the line from self-defense to a cold-blooded double execution, Morrison County authorities filed second-degree murder charges Monday against a 64-year-old man who killed two teenage cousins after they'd broken into his home on Thanksgiving.

This woodsy central Minnesota town of 8,000 was jolted as the gruesome details spilled out in a criminal complaint, alleging Byron David Smith put a handgun under the chin of wounded and gasping 18-year-old Haile Kifer for what he told police was a "good clean finishing shot."

Smith, who according to a friend and a relative had endured previous break-ins, sat shackled in an orange jail jumpsuit as County Attorney Brian Middendorf accused him of "cold-blooded murder of two teenagers under circumstances that are appalling and far beyond any self-defense claim."

Sheriff Michel Wetzel said Monday that he believes the teenagers were committing a burglary but said Smith's reaction went beyond legal protections of Minnesota law that allows crime victims to use reasonable force to protect themselves and their property during a felony.

"We understand and respect that right exists, but what happened in this case went further," Wetzel said. "The law doesn't permit you to execute somebody when there's no possible way the crime can continue."

And the law requires people to notify police, said Wetzel, who learned about the shooting from a neighbor the next day. The sheriff said the reason Smith gave for never calling police was "it was Thanksgiving and he didn't want to bother us on a holiday."

Hamline University School of Law professor Joseph Olson, who has studied self-defense laws, noted that the number of Smith's shots will make it difficult for him to claim self-defense in court.

"I think the first shot is justified," Olson said. "After the person is no longer a threat because they're seriously wounded, the application of self-defense is over."

High bail set

Judge Douglas P. Anderson set bail at $2 million or $1 million with conditions that Smith, a retired U.S. State Department employee, surrender his passport and firearms and not leave the state. Prosecutors cited Smith's years of international travel to Moscow, Bangkok and Beijing among the reasons for the high bail.

Smith's attorney, Gregory Larson, did not immediately contest the bail and a jail worker said Smith informed the staff he doesn't plan to post bail.

About a dozen friends and relatives of the victims attended Smith's 10-minute hearing, including 16-year-old Serina Poppen, who wore a brown Little Falls Auto and Transmission sweatshirt. Nicholas Brady, 17, the first shooting victim, lent her the sweatshirt a month ago when she was cold and the two had dated in recent months.

"No amount of bail is fair and no amount will bring them back," Poppen said. "He took it way too far. He could have just showed them his gun and told them to sit still until he called police."

Tessa Ruth, Brady's aunt, also was at the hearing and acknowledged outside the court room that "it wasn't right to be in the house and, yes, he has a right to defend himself, but not to execute them like that."

John Lange, who describes himself as Smith's best friend, was in the courtroom and visited Smith in jail.

"Byron is holding up just fine, but he shouldn't be in there, " Lange said. "You have the right to defend your home, and he's been through hell."

Lange said Smith's house has been broken into six times, although authorities says they have only one report of a break-in, in October.

"They tortured him and targeted him, and it's not good," Lange said. "If you've been broken into one time, that would be enough. But it's terrible."

Smith's brother, Bruce Smith, said about $10,000 worth of guns, electronic gear and cash were stolen in October.

Wetzel, the sheriff, declined to discuss what was taken in the October theft and said they have no suspects. He also declined to say whether the teens knew Smith, insisting the investigation is ongoing.

'I want him dead'

According to the complaint, Smith told police that he heard someone breaking into his house at noon on Thanksgiving. He showed police the window he says Brady and his cousin, Kifer, used to enter his house, which he said had been broken into several times before. Lange, his friend, said he kept his valuables downstairs.

Smith told police he armed himself with a rifle and a handgun and waited downstairs until he saw the first person's feet, then legs, then hips.

He said he fired and the first victim, Brady, tumbled down the stairs. While Brady looked up at him, he shot him in the face, according to the complaint.

"I want him dead," he told investigators.

He put Brady's body on a tarp and dragged him into his basement workshop and sat back down inhis chair.

Several minutes later, he heard more footsteps and saw Kifer coming down the stairs. He waited until he saw her hips, then fired. She also fell down the stairs, but then his rifle jammed and Kifer laughed.

That angered Smith. "If you're trying to shoot someone and they laugh at you, you go again," he told police.

He then pulled out the .22-caliber, nine-shot revolver that he was wearing, and fired "more shots than I needed to." He dragged Kifer into the workshop, placed her next to Brady and noticed she was still gasping for air.

"Smith stated at this point he placed the handgun under the woman's chin and shot her ... up into the cranium ... a good clean finishing shot."

He told police neither of the teens were armed but he feared they might have had a weapon.

He asked a neighbor the next morning if he knew any lawyers, and that neighbor apparently called police.

Larson, Smith's lawyer, declined to discuss the case as he left the hearing, saying he needed more time to respond to the county attorney's accusations.

Middendorf, the county attorney, asked community members "not to rush to judgment. This is a terrible tragedy for the whole community," he said. "And Mr. Smith is entitled to a fair process.

Link

Damn that's messed up. Do you agree with the charge or not?

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts
Might want to change that title, pretty sure the state didn't kill them.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
I didn't do it!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

I didn't do it!KiIIyou
HERP DERP

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KiIIyou

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]I didn't do it!Aljosa23

HERP DERP

soop doop
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]I didn't do it!Aljosa23

HERP DERP

Oh man
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Agree with the charge. Whole story just bums me out.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KiIIyou
Now change man to boy. :3
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Yep, this goes cleanly under murder, as pathetic as those teens were.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Damn that's messed up.

Aljosa23

What is? that he is being charged for murder, or what he did to deserve that charge?

Do you agree with the charge or not?

Aljosa23

I do. he didn't have to shoot them. he could have just called the cops and not wait there to shoot them as they came down the stairs.

but I'm curious as to whether you think the charge is deserving or not.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
I see they're trying to make these 2 thug druggies(probably meth addicts)look innocent,they deserved it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Damn that's messed up.

SirWander

What is? that he is being charged for murder, or what he did to deserve that charge?

What he did to deserve that charge.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

I do. he didn't have to shoot them. he could have just called the cops and not wait there to shoot them as they came down the stairs.

SirWander

He's not in trouble for shooting them. He's in trouble for executing them after they had already been incapacitated.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

He's not in trouble for shooting them. He's in trouble for executing them after they had already been incapacitated.

Oleg_Huzwog

I'm aware of that; I was merely speculating on an option that would have avoided any bloodshed.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#16 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Im all for defending your home, family, and yourself. If you need to shoot to kill, then by all means.

But, according to this, the man did over do it. I couldn't bring myself to execute someone like that if they havent harmed me or my family physically.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

SirWander

I'm aware of that; I was merely speculating on an option that would have avoided any bloodshed.

Meh. They deserved to be shot. They just didn't deserve the extra step he took.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Up until the "good clean finishing shot" I would have done the same thing.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

A tale of three idiots. I don't feel bad about what happened to any of them. If you break into somebody's house, you might just suffer severe consequences, and nobody should feel bad for you unless you're tortured like in Resevoir Dogs or something. And if you're enough of an idiot/lunatic that you decide to use inappropriate force, you also deserve the murder charge that's coming to you.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Yeah that sounds a lot less like self defense and a lot more like an execution style killing. Judging by his choice of words and the situation described he was no longer in danger so yeah it's murder.
chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts

If he wanted to get away with it he could have been a bit more subtle and less sloppy.

Did he go over board? Yes, but I think it's something more than a botched home invasion. I'm willing to speculate he's killed before tbh...

krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
Lock him up. He definitely went too far.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I'm willing to speculate he's killed before tbh...chilly-chill
At the very least he is a hunter. Especially considering how he set up an ambush, rather than confront them upstairs.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
Wow at first I thought it was silly that a man was being charged for defending himself in his home, but this is far past self defense. HOnestly he sat there waiting to shoot the kids this was murder not defense xD
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

They got what they deserved.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

They got what they deserved.

junglist101

Seriously? Getting executed? I couldn't really defend them if they just got their hips blown off, but seriously, he went up to them and killed them afterwards. That's kinda taking it too far. But still, the other chick was stupid, she heard the guy shoot a rifle, and she didn't surrender to him. But in hindsight, she probably would have just had her brains blown out anyways.

applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

This whole story's fvcked.

If you want to defend your home, that's all well and good and I'm not gonna complain, but jesus christ was an execution really necessary? The words he chose when talking to the cops make him sound like a psychopath.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

So the girl did not hear the gunshots? She still proceeded to walk down to the cellar and get shot? Er.... She laughed at him after being shot!? Either thats lies or they were high on drugs. Im willing to bet he's lying for some reason.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Unfortunate, but I feel little sympathy for the teens. That's the risk and potential cost of breaking into someone's home. The guy should go to jail though, as he's obviously using the law as an excuse to exact revenge from his frustration with his past experience with thieves. And who the hell laughs after being shot?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
well, the finishing shot under the chin and not reporting it seem to be the majority of what's wrong here, and i think he deserves to be charged, if it were simply a matter of firing more shots then he had to maybe he could have argued that he was using a .22 but that wouldn't excuse an execution anyhow, he seemed pretty keen on talking about this greater than a decent lawyer would want their client to, at this point he's going to need a pretty good friggin lawyer and probably someone he couldn't afford, his best chance is if FoxNews and right wing media will make him out to be some kind of martyr and organize a fund for his bail and a high profile lawyer
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

As a HUGE supporter of the right to defend ones home, this is just too much.

If he had even killed them with the first shots I wouldn't necessariy support a murder charge, but the fact that he went up and specifically went for a killing shot AFTER already having incapacitated them is well beyond self-defense.

Teens were dumb though...

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"]Wow at first I thought it was silly that a man was being charged for defending himself in his home, but this is far past self defense. HOnestly he sat there waiting to shoot the kids this was murder not defense xDthegerg
What makes it criminal is that he shot after he had already eliminated the threat, not the fact he waited.

From the ease of his executions I would dare say he was neve rin a threat at all. I agree with Chilly as well, for some reason it sounds like there is a bit more than a home invasion going on here, you don't just leave dead bodies in your basement because you don't want to bother the police
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

He deserves to be in prison although I'm not sympathetic to the teens either.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Anyone that executes a person after they've been shot 'more times than necessary' is clearly a psycopath. And the way he describes his actions.. it sickens me.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I have no sympathy for the teens as it was found that they have been tied to other burgleries by stolen prescription pills found in their pockets. They were also accused of a previous break-in back in August. Residents will no longer have to fear from break-ins from this pair anymore and will probably solve other break-ins.

Still, that doesn't absolve the man from the way he killed them. If they had died from the first or second shot, that would be one thing, but he went beyond that.

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

He should be charged with murder. No way would I defend the teens, but, at least the way the article describes it, what he did was sickening and disturbing and way beyond self defense.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

Jesus christ that's demented. I understand defending your home. But shooting an incapacitated person as revenge for them breaking into your home is just sick, and then casually storing the people in his basement and not bothering to tell the police makes this guy seem like a homicidal sociopath. I don't think he should ever be released back into society.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Ouch.

Here in Florida and Texas just aim for the head, just be a little subtle and this wouldn't of even been a big issue.

Castle law FTW.

Legatus_Victix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Legatus_Victix
Member since 2012 • 144 Posts

DANG thats some Agent 47 stuff right there. Except Agent 47 wouldn't mess up or be caught. Fission Mailed.

Legatus_Victix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Legatus_Victix
Member since 2012 • 144 Posts

Ouch.

Here in Florida and Texas just aim for the head, just be a little subtle and this wouldn't of even been a big issue.

Castle law FTW.

Fightingfan

BTW, Castle Law doesn't give you the right to necessarily kill somebody. They have to be threatening you with bodily harm, be armed, or be doing something that gives you reason to believe you are in danger. Shooting and killing someone without first establishing one of those prerequisites is murder. Also they can't be shot in the back and you're required to first try and scare them off without force. Stupid, I know, but theres plenty of misconceptions about the Castle Law and to what extent it protects you. Also it varies state to state but this is the way it is at the time I was in the Daytona Beach, FL police academy in 2011.

CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CKYguy25
Member since 2012 • 2087 Posts

I didn't do it!KiIIyou

you sure about that? :P

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
Self-defense covers you up until the point you're no longer in any real danger. It doesn't entitle you to shoot people, even burglars, after the threat is passed.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

Ouch.

Castle law FTW.

Legatus_Victix

BTW, Castle Law doesn't give you the right to necessarily kill somebody. They have to be threatening you with bodily harm, be armed, or be doing something that gives you reason to believe you are in danger. Shooting and killing someone without first establishing one of those prerequisites is murder. Also they can't be shot in the back and you're required to first try and scare them off without force. Stupid, I know, but theres plenty of misconceptions about the Castle Law and to what extent it protects you. Also it varies state to state but this is the way it is at the time I was in the Daytona Beach, FL police academy in 2011.

When you're in my home I can instantly claim you tried to harm my children and wife, which gives me the right to instantly kill you.

While you're right 'technically' that's not how the real world works.

Pretty much if you can shoot someone for breaking into your house; realistically you're not gonna get an repercussions not couting rare instances like in the OP.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Shooting them after incapacitation, eh?

That is definitely against the rules, which is why he lost the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

When you're in my home I can instantly claim you tried to harm my children and wife, which gives me the right to instantly kill you.

While you're right 'technically' that's not how the real world works.

Pretty much if you can shoot someone for breaking into your house; realistically you're not gonna get an repercussions not couting rare instances like in the OP.

Fightingfan

You can claim whatever you want, just be prepared to prove it in a court of law.