Blizzard's Rob Pardo: Titan team is 100 people strong

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ravenshout
Member since 2012 • 1265 Posts

In a recent interview, Rob Pardo was asked about the Titan MMO project.

He didn't provide any juicy details but he did say that the team was 100 people strong now and that you shouldn't expect anything info from them soon.

As for me, I think a 100-people team is a bit too small for an MMO. A WoW expansion project has over 150 people, whereas The Old Republic had large number of developers behind it. Now, I have no info whatsoever regarding Guild Wars 2's number of developers, but I am pretty there were many of them, more than a hundred.

Personally, I think part of the problem is that Blizzard is just too picky when it comes to recruiting people.

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

Part of what problem exactly?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
You just mentioned SWTOR.. and a large team.. and look how that game turned out. It basically has no endgame, barren worlds.. so on.. with a record-setting budget. I haven't liked Blizzard lately, but I commend them for vanilla WoW + TBC. I think they know what they're doing with 100 people; let's hope.. It isn't uncharacteristic for dev teams to grow over the course of the development cycle. That number could end up to be 150 or even 200. Right now, their priority is World of Warcraft.
Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ravenshout

You just mentioned SWTOR.. and a large team.. and look how that game turned out. It basically has no endgame, barren worlds.. so on.. with a record-setting budget. I haven't liked Blizzard lately, but I commend them for vanilla WoW + TBC. I think they know what they're doing with 100 people; let's hope.. It isn't uncharacteristic for dev teams to grow over the course of the development cycle. That number could end up to be 150 or even 200. Right now, their priority is World of Warcraft.Elann2008
Many of the original WoW devs are in Titan, and have been doing something with it since 2007-2008 if I am not mistaken.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
1 talented programmer can overshadow dozens of code monkeys.
Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ravenshout

1 talented programmer can overshadow dozens of code monkeys. Zubinen
How do you know that they are talented?

Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ravenshout

timma25

The problem of having such a small development team after all these years.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="Zubinen"]1 talented programmer can overshadow dozens of code monkeys. Ravenshout

How do you know that they are talented?

How do you know that they are not? Not to mention there are pros to having a smaller group. Does this mean the smaller group will do well? not necessarily, but it could.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="timma25"]

Ravenshout

That's not necessarily a problem. If a company as big as blizzard has a relatively small team working on something, it's because they choose to have a small team. It's not a problem. And the size of a dev team doesn't correlate directly to the quality of the game. If Blizzard is working on something, and it turns out great, team size doesn't matter. If it turns out crappy, having more people working on it wouldn't have made a difference.

Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ravenshout

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

[QUOTE="timma25"]

the_bi99man

That's not necessarily a problem. If a company as big as blizzard has a relatively small team working on something, it's because they choose to have a small team. It's not a problem. And the size of a dev team doesn't correlate directly to the quality of the game. If Blizzard is working on something, and it turns out great, team size doesn't matter. If it turns out crappy, having more people working on it wouldn't have made a difference.

According to your logic then, a single person can create a great game.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"] The problem of having such a small development team after all these years.

Ravenshout

That's not impossible. Unlikely, perhaps. But not impossible. Braid and Minecraft were both originally developed by a single person. And 100 people... That's more than enough to make an amazing, AAA, high budget game. If they're good, and have enough time.

Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ravenshout

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

That's not impossible. Unlikely, perhaps. But not impossible. Braid and Minecraft were both originally developed by a single person. And 100 people... That's more than enough to make an amazing, AAA, high budget game. If they're good, and have enough time.

They have been recruiting people who are NOT associated with traditional MMOs like the people behind RAGE, BRINK, HALO, etc., as well as having former WoW developers at the core.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
1 talented programmer can overshadow dozens of code monkeys. Zubinen
except it would take an eternity for a release
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"] According to your logic then, a single person can create a great game.

Ravenshout

They have been recruiting people who are NOT associated with traditional MMOs like the people behind RAGE, BRINK, HALO, etc., as well as having former WoW developers at the core.

Kay... sounds like a solid group. Are you still trying to say that 100 people isn't enough to make a quality game?

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Or maybe the current team is 150 and it might grow in a year or so once active development on new WoW content starts to die down?
fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

Doesn't seem small to me. Let's remember that Blizzard is still working on Starcraft 2 and they just released Diablo 3 and Mists of Pandaria. Titan is probably at least 5 years away especially since WoW is still making decent money for Blizzard. They're not going to release a new MMO to compete with WoW as long as it's making money for them, no need to compete with themselves.

spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts

[QUOTE="timma25"]

Ravenshout

I don't think you have ever worked in a project yourself. It's so much easier to coordinate and get everything to fit together with a slightly smaller group, getting better end results. Bigger isn't always better.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

He didn't provide any juicy details but he did say that the team was 100 people strong now and that you shouldn't expect anything info from them soon.

As for me, I think a 100-people team is a bit too small for an MMO. A WoW expansion project has over 150 people, whereas The Old Republic had large number of developers behind it. Now, I have no info whatsoever regarding Guild Wars 2's number of developers, but I am pretty there were many of them, more than a hundred.

Personally, I think part of the problem is that Blizzard is just too picky when it comes to recruiting people.

Ravenshout

Size of development team=!High quality product.

100 talented programmers with a good engine can outshine 300 code monkeys with a buggy and unfinished engine.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

The reason its taking so long is because WoW is still getting expansions and blizzard is not bothering to hire extra people, they will solely migrate MOP's staff across to titan unless there's another xpac in the works.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

Ravenshout

I dont think you can be too picky when you recruit people. Blizzard has grossed record profits, made well-receives games, and more, for over a decade now.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
I think part of the problem is that Blizzard is just too picky when it comes to recruiting people.Ravenshout
If you think Blizzard has such a problem then you should know about this minuscule company that takes itself up on extremely big taks, tasks they don't have nearly enough manpower for, that company is called Valve, you might have heard about them, probably.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

I'd be more scared to know Kalgan is on it than knowing the size of the team is too small.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Who gives a **** about some casual MMO trash. I want to hear about StarCraft II.
Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ravenshout

Who gives a **** about some casual MMO trash. I want to hear about StarCraft II.SKaREO
There's nothing new to hear from the Starcraft 2 development team now. You and I know what we will get in the expansion: A zerg-centric campaign and new multiplayer tweaks here and there.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]Who gives a **** about some casual MMO trash. I want to hear about StarCraft II.Ravenshout

There's nothing new to hear from the Starcraft 2 development team now. You and I know what we will get in the expansion: A zerg-centric campaign and new multiplayer tweaks here and there.

Lol, we haven't seen the game yet even and you call it casual MMO trash? Troll much?
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]Who gives a **** about some casual MMO trash. I want to hear about StarCraft II.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Lol, we haven't seen the game yet even and you call it casual MMO trash? Troll much?

Ignore Skareo, he will disappear when no one responds to him..
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"] The problem of having such a small development team after all these years.

Ravenshout

... They have.. Please see Minecraft, Terraria and FTL.. Games developed by either one or two people that players literally have sunk countless hours in, out numbering the play time of many games with large professional dev groups backing them..