The future of consoles?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

What could be the future of consoles?

Motion controls? No consoles at all? Smartphones and Tablets taking over? OUYA?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

You have a similar thread from 2 hours ago. If nobody was interested the first time, move on.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ricardomz

You have a similar thread from 2 hours ago. If nobody was interested the first time, move on.

lundy86_4

I'm stubborn...

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

Umm well the WiiU is proof there are future consoles... Whats the point of this thread?

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ricardomz

Umm well the WiiU is proof there are future consoles... Whats the point of this thread?

RyanShazam

I'm not saying one year from now future. I'm saying 10 or 20 years from now...

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Ricardomz

I'm stubborn...

I love the persistence, keep it up!
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ricardomz

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

senses_fail_06

I'm stubborn...

I love the persistence, keep it up!

Thanks bro, I'll keep you updated.

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

Ricardomz

10 to 20 years from now we will all be floating in tubes with bio liquid, wires hooked right into our heads. No need for consoles anymore.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ricardomz

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

Randoggy

10 to 20 years from now we will all be floating in tubes with bio liquid, wires hooked right into our heads. No need for consoles anymore.

Damn, is this trolling day? Bunch of jerks.

See ya old pervs.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

Ricardomz

We will all be dead...

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

That is impossible to predict, if you think how fast technology is progressing. Looking back at the last 20 years we have come an incredibly long way, most of the stuff I couldn't have come up with.

I seriously doubt the console as we know now will still exist then.

20 years ago a few people who could be bothered was using:

early-cell-phone.jpg

I doubt anyone would have predicted how powerful and important mobiles have become.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22676 Posts

[QUOTE="Randoggy"][QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Ricardomz

Damn, is this trolling day? Bunch of jerks.

See ya old pervs.

Part of me actually thinks there is truth to what he said... i mean it makes logical sense that humans will eventually sacrifice humanity for longevity.... just hard to predict to what extent....
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

The future of consoles?. I don't think there is one, not long term at least.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Future of consoles determines on the impact of Half Life 3 whether it completely destroys console gaming or leaves some remaining so that companies live in fear.

I just want Half Life 3 already lol.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Ricardomz

Reading this and your other posts it seems you really want people to predict the future of consoles. Sure, I'll play this game. But even though I think this goes without saying, I want to make clear two givens:

1. I don't know the future, nor do I claim to have the predictive capability of Michael Pachter (may peace be upon him).
  2. What you're asking people to do is put their nonsense fantasy up there, so it can then be criticised by other members of system wars because it conflicts with their nonsense fantasy. *sigh*

Here's what I think. 10-20 years, that's too big a range to guess as hardware will be way different in 20yrs than 10yrs. That's a "gen-and-a-half" gap alone. Anyway, generically:

• Starting with Wii U & PS360's successors - even that won't be the last 'gen'. Some people think Gaikai/OnLive will end gens - it won't. Though it is true, consumer internet access bandwidth is changing, it's only getting more accessible, faster, and cheaper. Deployment of cloud computing server software is enjoying the same changes. It can't end gens. Internet outages happen. People who don't want to pay for the internet, or just pay for it as part of their cellphone plan happen. Playing on a laptop on the bus and not having mobile internet there also happens. Mobile internet would have to be incredibly cheap for me to pay for it. People will both want and need to play offline - more gens.
  • That doesn't mean that in the future, you won't find yourself subscribing to a cloud computing gaming service for a month to enjoy some of their exclusives, or to play a couple of 5hr movie games you've had your eye on but don't want to pay retail for. Maybe there is a graphics king which renders better on their hardware than your own.
  • As long as cellphone games keep selling as well as they do, there will be a massive push among some graphic-phillic developers to push cell hardware to the limits. Cellphone makers love the excuse to make new cellphones, semiconductor fabrication facilities love to fabricate newer faster semiconductors and sell them. I think it is given that battery technology is devloping over time to give greater total capacity, and capacity per unit weight, microprocessors are getting more capable whilst using less power, it's a given tech is improving. This tech will eventually get so capable that you can cheaply make hardware equivalent to today's top end PC hardware, but for a mobile device, this could take at least a decade. It only makes sense that eventually this technology might be used in a kind of reversed Wii U, majority of the power in the gamepad, and it is portable. The base station is for TV Output, maybe some auxillary processing and connecting traditional controllers, whatever. It could be powerful enough that it could target my demographic (no need nor want to game away from home), but you discover it is incredibly convenient in a power cut.
  • I think eventually you might see a cellphone with an accessory of VR glasses. Touch screen on the cellphone is the controller. Yes it would look embarrassing on the bus, at least at first. Perhaps one day they'll have a discreet design as though you're wearing sunglasses.
  • At think at some point in the next few gens an expensive graphics beast console will be released, again - at a premium price, by this I mean essentially it's selling feature is not Kinect/Tablet Controller/Blu Ray it is 'graphics'. I think if that's a manufacturer's machine's cleverest innovation, that such a machine is likely to fail. Nevertheless, anything is on at the right price - if it's cutting edge but inexpensive and traditional - there is a big market for that, no doubt, I admit a games console doesn't have to be novel.
  • I think there will always be significant demand for traditional games. Press A to jump.
  • This is a wild one, but I think we will see a rise in deep-plot centric games, but aimed at the female demographic. "According to" a "study conducted by the Entertainment Software Association in 2010, 40% of the game playing population is female, and women 18 or older now comprise 33% of all gamers." (Wikipedia). Though many girls that play games are like my girlfriend & don't miss not having these games, I've heard from many that do. Not My Horse and Me, something proper.
  • Better hardcore motion control games.
  • I think more publishers will try to nickel-and-dime us especially with pay-to-win games.

That's it, that's all I can really think of. Please abuse me my body is ready.

platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

kinect 2.0 is the future.

can't wait for it...

Wiiyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wiiyou
Member since 2012 • 650 Posts

I think Sony will stop make consoles and go 100% Gakai gaming

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

psymon100

Reading this and your other posts it seems you really want people to predict the future of consoles. Sure, I'll play this game. But even though I think this goes without saying, I want to make clear two givens:

1. I don't know the future, nor do I claim to have the predictive capability of Michael Pachter (may peace be upon him).
  2. What you're asking people to do is put their nonsense fantasy up there, so it can then be criticised by other members of system wars because it conflicts with their nonsense fantasy. *sigh*

Here's what I think. 10-20 years, that's too big a range to guess as hardware will be way different in 20yrs than 10yrs. That's a "gen-and-a-half" gap alone. Anyway, generically:

• Starting with Wii U & PS360's successors - even that won't be the last 'gen'. Some people think Gaikai/OnLive will end gens - it won't. Though it is true, consumer internet access bandwidth is changing, it's only getting more accessible, faster, and cheaper. Deployment of cloud computing server software is enjoying the same changes. It can't end gens. Internet outages happen. People who don't want to pay for the internet, or just pay for it as part of their cellphone plan happen. Playing on a laptop on the bus and not having mobile internet there also happens. Mobile internet would have to be incredibly cheap for me to pay for it. People will both want and need to play offline - more gens.
  • That doesn't mean that in the future, you won't find yourself subscribing to a cloud computing gaming service for a month to enjoy some of their exclusives, or to play a couple of 5hr movie games you've had your eye on but don't want to pay retail for. Maybe there is a graphics king which renders better on their hardware than your own.
  • As long as cellphone games keep selling as well as they do, there will be a massive push among some graphic-phillic developers to push cell hardware to the limits. Cellphone makers love the excuse to make new cellphones, semiconductor fabrication facilities love to fabricate newer faster semiconductors and sell them. I think it is given that battery technology is devloping over time to give greater total capacity, and capacity per unit weight, microprocessors are getting more capable whilst using less power, it's a given tech is improving. This tech will eventually get so capable that you can cheaply make hardware equivalent to today's top end PC hardware, but for a mobile device, this could take at least a decade. It only makes sense that eventually this technology might be used in a kind of reversed Wii U, majority of the power in the gamepad, and it is portable. The base station is for TV Output, maybe some auxillary processing and connecting traditional controllers, whatever. It could be powerful enough that it could target my demographic (no need nor want to game away from home), but you discover it is incredibly convenient in a power cut.
  • I think eventually you might see a cellphone with an accessory of VR glasses. Touch screen on the cellphone is the controller. Yes it would look embarrassing on the bus, at least at first. Perhaps one day they'll have a discreet design as though you're wearing sunglasses.
  • At think at some point in the next few gens an expensive graphics beast console will be released, again - at a premium price, by this I mean essentially it's selling feature is not Kinect/Tablet Controller/Blu Ray it is 'graphics'. I think if that's a manufacturer's machine's cleverest innovation, that such a machine is likely to fail. Nevertheless, anything is on at the right price - if it's cutting edge but inexpensive and traditional - there is a big market for that, no doubt, I admit a games console doesn't have to be novel.
  • I think there will always be significant demand for traditional games. Press A to jump.
  • This is a wild one, but I think we will see a rise in deep-plot centric games, but aimed at the female demographic. "According to" a "study conducted by the Entertainment Software Association in 2010, 40% of the game playing population is female, and women 18 or older now comprise 33% of all gamers." (Wikipedia). Though many girls that play games are like my girlfriend & don't miss not having these games, I've heard from many that do. Not My Horse and Me, something proper.
  • I think more publishers will try to nickel-and-dime us especially with pay-to-win games.

That was a fantastic read... kudos. The future is gonna be a cluster fu** of a mess eh?
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 psymon100

Well sir, I don't know if you're being serious or not. If you were, thanks, if not, thanks for sucking me in.

Yeah essentially it is unpredictable but I suspect a few things could happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Kevin-Butler-Move-Future.jpg

Hello, this is Kevin Butler coming to you from the future.

I gotta tell ya, the future's pretty amazing. We got flying cars, blenders that can blend just about anything, robots that do everything for you, and even jetpacks. Oh, and gaming? Well..gaming's absolutely fantastic in the future.

Sony is on the verge of bankrupcy, Nintendo has turned from being a gaming giant to your local laundromat (The famous Nintendo Wii-Wash), but Microsoft is holding up really well. Kinect 2.0 is a resounding success, the future is all about casual online games, gimmicks, oh and pc players. Kinect 2.0 is now home to yearly Angry Birds sequels (with monthly DLC), Kinect Sports series, Kinect Fun (collection of hit classics such as Kinect Dodgeball and Kinect Foursquare), and let's not forget Farmville.

Those "hardcore" gamers always thought gaming couldn't survive without their "Metal Gear Solid's" and their "Halo's", boy were they wrong! But that's not to say they're completely gone, they still exist on PC! We futurenauts love to call the PC a person's local graveyard gaming device, any old franchise that has nothing to lose goes to PC to get pirated away by no-good humpback PC pirates. Outside of PC, those old and "hardcore" franchises are left cold and dead in the "please-buy-me-only $10" section of super markets and convenience stores, and nobody gives a hoot.

Wait, you asked about consoles? What happened to consoles? Well, consoles are like black-and-white TV's now. They're all relics of the past, now we've got no-controller, cloud-based (no need to get up and walk to the store) gaming! Who doesn't like that? Yep, the internet is the future, sure we don't own our games, but WHO CARES? Nah, we're just livin' in the moment. Drinking whiskey, having sex with STD-riddled prostitutes, and getting high out of our minds. LIVE IN THE MOMENT BABY.

Now excuse me, I've got a future to get back to. Herpes 'n Call of Duty galore!

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheEroica  Moderator

Well sir, I don't know if you're being serious or not. If you were, thanks, if not, thanks for sucking me in.

Yeah essentially it is unpredictable but I suspect a few things could happen.

psymon100
I was being serious... interesting to hear someone else take on the future of gaming. I usually only listen to my own ;) it does seem as though things are becoming so complex in gaming.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Consoles as we know them likely have little future left. I'm thinking this upcoming gen is it.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
I imagine consoles will be around tell virtual reality becomes possible. I like a tv show called Caprica, vr was a big part of that show and had a unique style about it.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 psymon100

I was being serious... interesting to hear someone else take on the future of gaming. I usually only listen to my own ;) it does seem as though things are becoming so complex in gaming.TheEroica
Well thank you very much, apologies if I seemed stiff just sometimes I can't tell if people are being genuine.

With gaming being the billions of dollars industry that it is, it could go in so many directions, so yeah if you like the word messy, it suits :) Really it's all about chasing that dollar.

I can see Cloud Gaming becoming quite large, and your average person relying on 2-3 sources for their games. Might be a retail shop for their big releases that they see playing over and over like Battlefield; a Cloud gaming service for those shorter games, or games which exceed your minimum system requirements, or games that are exclusive to that provider; and lastly a place for buying smaller, cheaper, digitally consumed casual games, Xbox Live, Steam, PSN, etc.

I didn't mention this, but I also don't see the death of retail. Human beings, many of them, they like to shop. The mall is a place to congregate. Retailers shops are a viable place to sell games.

Do you have any ideas for the future of gaming man?

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
what the ps3/360 are right now...but more powerful.. that is all
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

It'll merge with tablet gaming, and you'll have a portable device that plugs into the tv which allows you to play all your apps on your tv, and peripherals will be developed for them like with the iPad/tablets of today.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
Sorry, my delorean is out of gas.
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheWalkingGhost

Consoles as we know them likely have little future left. I'm thinking this upcoming gen is it.

sandbox3d
Mhm...Yeah...Yes sir...You betcha! Gimme a break, people have been predicting the end of consoles for as long as gaming has been around. People need to STFU and just let whatever happens, happen and stop trying to predict it.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

TheWalkingGhost

Mhm...Yeah...Yes sir...You betcha! Gimme a break, people have been predicting the end of consoles for as long as gaming has been around. People need to STFU and just let whatever happens, happen and stop trying to predict it.

Chill man, I'm just responding to a topic.

And do you really think we'll be going out and buying Sony, MS, or Nintendo branded boxes and physical media in 2021? I doubt it. There is a huge push towards entertainment integration and cloud services right now. You may be seeing a small cloud receiver take the place of consoles. Hell, it could be integrated into your tv.

One thing is certain, if these companies can reach wider audiences while cutting out shipping and manufacturing they will jump at it in a heartbeat. The current model is archaic and nothing remains the same forever.

Edit: And to add to that, Nintendo is the only company that really banks off their hardware from the start. Sony and MS pull in the money off games and accessories to offset the cost they eat on hardware up front. These guys aren't eager to go into the red every time a new gen roles around, but its always been a necessity. Eventually that necessity will cease to exist.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheWalkingGhost

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

sandbox3d

And do you really think we'll be going out and buying Sony, MS, or Nintendo branded boxes and physical media in 2021? I doubt it. There is a huge push towards entertainment integration and cloud services right now. You may be seeing a small cloud receiver take the place of consoles. Hell, it could be integrated into your tv.

One thing is certain, if these companies can reach wider audiences while cutting out shipping and manufacturing they will jump at it in a heartbeat. The current model is archaic and nothing remains the same forever.

So am I and I am not mad. And since when do consoles have to be physical media? They are not one in the same. I can download Madden 13 and Borderlands 2 from PSN right now. I can see consoles doing more digital downloading like Sony is doing now. However, cloud gaming is farther than 10 years away from being reality. Look at OnlIve who was just sold to another company. Do you really think people will back something that require a constant internet connection to play? I mean like Onlive not Steam. Something you play off a server and is dependent on your internet speed. Doubtful. More so since you don't really own it, and if Onlive removes it from their servers you lose the game...No matter if you paid full price. Don't forget bandwidth caps as well. Digital Downloading yes, Cloud not as easy to predict. And consoles are not reliant on physical media.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"] Mhm...Yeah...Yes sir...You betcha! Gimme a break, people have been predicting the end of consoles for as long as gaming has been around. People need to STFU and just let whatever happens, happen and stop trying to predict it.TheWalkingGhost

So am I and I am not mad. And since when do consoles have to be physical media? They are not one in the same. I can download Madden 13 and Borderlands 2 from PSN right now. I can see consoles doing more digital downloading like Sony is doing now. However, cloud gaming is farther than 10 years away from being reality. Look at OnlIve who was just sold to another company. Do you really think people will back something that require a constant internet connection to play? I mean like Onlive not Steam. Something you play off a server and is dependent on your internet speed. Doubtful. More so since you don't really own it, and if Onlive removes it from their servers you lose the game...No matter if you paid full price. Don't forget bandwidth caps as well. Digital Downloading yes, Cloud not as easy to predict. And consoles are not reliant on physical media.

"Consoles as we know them likely have little future left."

So it seems we've come full circle.

Even so, cloud is very much a reality. Onlive failed, but it was the first major go with gaming. Cloud is everywhere now. Even the Autodesk products I use have gone to the cloud.

This upcoming gen? No. It may be implemented, but not full on. The gen after that? I really don't see why not.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

future of consoles will be a machine that is half the cost of a Pc, but will be able to play all the latest games for 10 years with no upgrades.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheWalkingGhost

sandbox3d

Even so, cloud is very much a reality. Onlive failed, but it was the first major go with gaming. Cloud is everywhere now. Even the Autodesk products I use have gone to the cloud.

This upcoming gen? No. It may be implemented, but not full on. The gen after that? I really don't see why not.

My comment was that you can't predict that. Cloud is there, but Onlive failed and there are many obstacles preventing it from becoming the main source of gaming. I think autodesk cloud services isn't what I was talking about. I meant playing the games on the servers, Autodesks offerings from what I have seen is more Cloud based things within the product, but you don't use the actual product on the Cloud. Maybe I missed something, I used to use AUTOCad a lot when getting my degree. BTW, both the 360 and PS3 have cloud game saves. Still, I was talking about playing the games on it. The upcoming gen will be more DD based, even the Wii U is doing that. A full cloud based system maybe farther down the road then that. You still got other issues I pointed out. Would you play your games on the cloud with a 250gig bandwidth cap?
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]I was being serious... interesting to hear someone else take on the future of gaming. I usually only listen to my own ;) it does seem as though things are becoming so complex in gaming.psymon100

Well thank you very much, apologies if I seemed stiff just sometimes I can't tell if people are being genuine.

With gaming being the billions of dollars industry that it is, it could go in so many directions, so yeah if you like the word messy, it suits :) Really it's all about chasing that dollar.

I can see Cloud Gaming becoming quite large, and your average person relying on 2-3 sources for their games. Might be a retail shop for their big releases that they see playing over and over like Battlefield; a Cloud gaming service for those shorter games, or games which exceed your minimum system requirements, or games that are exclusive to that provider; and lastly a place for buying smaller, cheaper, digitally consumed casual games, Xbox Live, Steam, PSN, etc.

I didn't mention this, but I also don't see the death of retail. Human beings, many of them, they like to shop. The mall is a place to congregate. Retailers shops are a viable place to sell games.

Do you have any ideas for the future of gaming man?

Im not sure ive ever really stopped to think about it all that deeply, but id think that digital distribution will play a roll... for the most part i think what you wrote seems very logical. My wish is that gaming doesnt get choked out with bad business and attacks against the fans that support the industry. Ie gouging. I may be in the minority when i say this and maybe it doesnt apply the same but i fully support file sharing in music. Reason being it allows those who love music to control what we listen too rather than have the suits force a highly controlled genre down our throats... the way the music industry stands right now there can be no dominant genre and i like that... it gives us strength... my fear is that the gaming i grew up with is lost and originality and taking brave chances have been suffocated by chasing the buck of one or two popular games. I guess i dont really offer a "what will happen" as much as a "what im afraid will happen." Its gonna be roller coaster of change though thats for sure. Technology is out of control evolving right now.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

The future of consoles is a mobile phone that plays games.

Avatar image for todd2r_Partdeux
todd2r_Partdeux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 todd2r_Partdeux
Member since 2012 • 762 Posts
It's really quite simple. It will be downloadable, cloud gaming, tablet controllers. Set top boxes are gone, gamestops are gone, Nintendo and Sony will be gone. MS might be around but who knows. Apple more than likely will be the number one game company.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 p4s2p0
While tv's could come with gaming hardware. I don't see it happening for a long time. They don't even have dvd or blue ray standard on them yet. Cloud gaming is even further away with high speed internet lacking in a high percentage of the world yet.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 p4s2p0
It's really quite simple. It will be downloadable, cloud gaming, tablet controllers. Set top boxes are gone, gamestops are gone, Nintendo and Sony will be gone. MS might be around but who knows. Apple more than likely will be the number one game company. todd2r_Partdeux
Considering apple gaming is rather limited I don't see why they would still be around and the rest gone.
EzcapeTheFate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EzcapeTheFate
Member since 2010 • 1063 Posts
There will just be a chip that is inserted into your frontal lobes and you can close your eyes and make your own games.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 p4s2p0

sandbox3d

Cloud could work for gaming someday but tell it can be used in all the regions gaming is in, I don't see it happening for a while. Or in my case on portable I'd have to have high speed/no dl limit net everywhere and that ain't happening for a long time especially with how phone phone carriers are handling it so far.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Subscription-based cloud gaming services that you can run directly on TVs, tablets, phones, PCs, etc., without the need of buying the hardware.

spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 spiderluck
Member since 2012 • 2405 Posts

I think there will be no consoles...just controllers...The controller will in effect be the console..It will have it's own screen..able to stream or download or play physical media that come on matchbook sized cartridges..It will wirelessly play on your TV or your computer monitor..It will have phone functions..web browsing..voice activated and automatic translation of voice into text of any language..It will be about the same size as an I phone but about an inch thick with triggers on the back that recess in when not in use and sticks on the front that pop out about 1/2 an inch when play activated. All other buttons will be touch screen sensitive plus voice enabled

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 psymon100

There will just be a chip that is inserted into your frontal lobes and you can close your eyes and make your own games.EzcapeTheFate
You disappoint me sir. The occipital lobe (for sight) is located at the posterior of the skull, not the anterior (front). Inserting a chip into the frontal lobes won't yield the result you're after. How very unscientific of you sir.

Cool sig :)

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheWalkingGhost

Subscription-based cloud gaming services that you can run directly on TVs, tablets, phones, PCs, etc., without the need of buying the hardware.

RyuRanVII
RIP gaming if that becomes the dominate way of gaming. I would choose steam any day over that.
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheWalkingGhost
[QUOTE="p4s2p0"]While tv's could come with gaming hardware. I don't see it happening for a long time. They don't even have dvd or blue ray standard on them yet. Cloud gaming is even further away with high speed internet lacking in a high percentage of the world yet.

And bandwidth caps. Todd2r was way off. I am pretty sure Apple is just going to kill Nintendo, the most successful and longest lasting console maker. Consoles will morph more into multimedia devices, it makes more sense to buy a console than a new TV.
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Xbox is slowly merging with Windows. The future is mobility, not giantic outdated stand-still devices. This applies to tower PCs are well. The future is all-in-one hybrid tablets.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

psymon100

Wow... how can you always make awesome posts like this?

Me personally, for future (not necessarily next gen, can be much further than that)

-I think internet will be the must have in future consoles, every games will be developed with multiplayer on mind. Cloud gaming will be fully functional within the next 10 years, in most developed countries in the world. Subscription based consoles/games will happen as well.

-F2P will rise up while there'll be less focus on full-retail games.

-Consoles size will keep getting smaller and smaller until it reach a perfect size & weight, not too small but not too big.

-New control scheme will be developed, even further than motion control. Idk, brain control? Lol yeah maybe in the far far future when brain implant is common.

-10 inches Tablet + laptop will merge. Most tablet will be around 6-7 inches aka. very good size for gaming.

All laptop are capable of using eGPU with thunderbolt (or better), to desktop size is not necessary at that point.

-More games targeting different gender/sexuality. New game genres (mixing of different genres).

-Mobile gaming will boom, when tactile touch screen technology is possible. Plus the hologram technology & TV glass technology, will be possible to experience great graphics/resolution with decent control.

-PC gaming will of course be growing nonstop, and maybe we can finally play Halflife 3 one day.

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Xbox is slowly merging with Windows. The future is mobility, not giantic outdated stand-still devices. This applies to tower PCs are well. The future is all-in-one hybrid tablets.

Mr_BillGates

AMD and Nvidia are selling tens of millions of stand-alone gaming-performance video cards every quarter. They sell at a faster rate than all three consoles combined (though people can buy more than one for a single computer).

I don't think the gaming PC is going away because the audience is much more invested in gaming overall which shows in the amount of game support it gets which dwarfs any other system, and the e-sport presence is just so dominant in the PCs favor worldwide.

When it comes to console audience then yah, sure since the market is pretty much determined by advertising, and tablets are the cool thing to have especially when it comes to gaming. The gamers playing CoD, Uncharted, Gears, etc are also playing Angry Birds, and Fruit Ninja.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 psymon100

Wow... how can you always make awesome posts like this?rjdofu
From you sir that is truly complimentary. Thank you.

EDIT: Ah I see you edited your post with your predictions. I do like the brain control one. I think eventually we will reach a level of transhumanism where we can control games with our thoughts, or at least access a thesaurus when you're giving an impromptu speech!

Your one about desktops not being relevant is quite fascinating indeed. I see exactly what you're talking about, where laptops/tablets become consistently intermerged, and over time of course more powerful, to the extent where a low end laptop is well and truly monstrous. So you might as well forgo the desktop and just use some sort of all-in-one docking stationat the place you'd normally have a desktop. It's a pretty good theory. Obviously things like EyeFinity could well be supported on say, 1-laptop and 5 other displays, hell 1&8 others displays for a 3x3 array - at a point in the future where desktops are not relevant. By this time they would be very feature rich.

All in all I think your predictions are pretty solid. But half-life 3? :D

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]Wow... how can you always make awesome posts like this?psymon100

From you sir that is truly complimentary. Thank you.

Yeah i think there must be a balance between idiots and decent posters :). We have way too many troll thesedays lol.