EVE online clan leader calls for cyber bullying.. then retracts

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

at eve's annual fanfest a certain clan/guild leader happened to encourage cyber bullying.. he went so far to even name someone who was (or so he claimed) was socially unstable and that he should be bullied into suicide. CCp has launched a full investigatyion. it doesnt help that this clan is well known for having scammers, trolls and a variety of other scum and villany in its ranks.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/26/ccp-investigates-player-panel-that-encouraged-cyber-bullying/

as of this morning the guild leader had made an open apology.. but i feel that this punk should lose his guild/clan for this.. not like they were being very productive anyway by the sounds of things noted above:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/27/eve-online-cyber-bully-issues-formal-apology-for-crossing-the/

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Is the whole EVE community full of socially retarded juveniles? From what I read about what goes on in EVE, it may as well be called; /b/: The game.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Is the whole EVE community full of socially retarded juveniles? From what I read about what goes on in EVE, it may as well be called; /b/: The game.C_Rule
its full of conmen and people with the same psychological makeup as gangbangers

IntwoGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IntwoGames
Member since 2004 • 1243 Posts
The guy is a Goon. Their whole alliance is built around doing stupid stuff like this so no suprise he did.
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

I've been following this since it started at Fanfest. He will be stepping down from his CSM Chairman position, but I highly doubt he'll lose his account over this. And no, a large portion of the EVE population are not sociopaths.

ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts
i didn't know anyone actually played Eve. Nobody i know does...
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
From what I hear the entire game is based on backstabbing and aggressive unfair play. So obviously it's going to attract people who find these activities highly enjoyable and rewarding, I played the 14 day trial and my god there was blackmailing, insults, cons, destroying peoples businesses just for the fun of it and everything else. I even checked out a bunch of forums to make sure I didn't get the wrong impression but it was definitely the right one. I'm not saying everyone on the game is this way I saw people purely dedicated to helping newbies get into the game so yeah.
i didn't know anyone actually played Eve. Nobody i know does...ChikaraShref
I'm sure the people you know are normal though.
ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChikaraShref
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]From what I hear the entire game is based on backstabbing and aggressive unfair play. So obviously it's going to attract people who find these activities highly enjoyable and rewarding, I played the 14 day trial and my god there was blackmailing, insults, cons, destroying peoples businesses just for the fun of it and everything else. I even checked out a bunch of forums to make sure I didn't get the wrong impression but it was definitely the right one. I'm not saying everyone on the game is this way I saw people purely dedicated to helping newbies get into the game so yeah.

i sure as heck ain't normal :lol: so odds are, most of my friends aren't either :P
PC4lifeman2233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PC4lifeman2233
Member since 2012 • 479 Posts
He won't losing anything...lol....
PC4lifeman2233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PC4lifeman2233
[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="JohnF111"]From what I hear the entire game is based on backstabbing and aggressive unfair play. So obviously it's going to attract people who find these activities highly enjoyable and rewarding, I played the 14 day trial and my god there was blackmailing, insults, cons, destroying peoples businesses just for the fun of it and everything else. I even checked out a bunch of forums to make sure I didn't get the wrong impression but it was definitely the right one. I'm not saying everyone on the game is this way I saw people purely dedicated to helping newbies get into the game so yeah.

i sure as heck ain't normal :lol: so odds are, most of my friends aren't either :P

Your friends don't like paying to have a second job :P
ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChikaraShref
[QUOTE="PC4lifeman2233"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] I'm sure the people you know are normal though.

somethin like that. lol.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JohnF111
[QUOTE="PC4lifeman2233"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] I'm sure the people you know are normal though.

:lol: That's a great way to put it.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Bad jokes, thought crimes, mountains out of molehills etc.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Your friends don't like paying to have a second job :PPC4lifeman2233

Well, it does offer a unique sandbox. I've never played it, but I can see the appeal. How many other games let players scam others? It is one of the few games that let's players do bad things. There is a demand for that sort of thing. Some people really do want to play the criminal, but they obviously can't do that in real life without messing up other people's lives and going to jail or worse.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Is the whole EVE community full of socially retarded juveniles? From what I read about what goes on in EVE, it may as well be called; /b/: The game.C_Rule

I think EVE is overrun with something awful forum goers, which is like /b/ but older.

Ah yes, he's a goon, which is the corporation that all Something Awful forum goers are a part of.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts
I still don't understand how people get cyber bullied...can't you just turn any program off at any time? But that's a whole other issue... Sadly most PvP oriented sandbox MMO's have very aggressive players like this that take the game WAY to seriously. Due to the time requirements and competition they just forget it's a game and take everything personally.
RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

I guess WoW doesn't have the worst MMO community after all.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

RossRichard

WOW community is filled with everyone, that's like saying people are the worst community ever

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="PC4lifeman2233"] Your friends don't like paying to have a second job :PJames00715

Well, it does offer a unique sandbox. I've never played it, but I can see the appeal. How many other games let players scam others? It is one of the few games that let's players do bad things. There is a demand for that sort of thing. Some people really do want to play the criminal, but they obviously can't do that in real life without messing up other people's lives and going to jail or worse.

That is pretty much why the game is still alive..honestly..i can't think of any other MMO that gives it's players so much freedom. to be able to just go out there on a massive server and be any kind of player. The game takes itself seriously and i wish more MMO's did the same.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lawlessx

RossRichard
because one guild reps the entire Eve online community :roll:
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JohnF111
[QUOTE="James00715"]

[QUOTE="PC4lifeman2233"] Your friends don't like paying to have a second job :Plawlessx

That is pretty much why the game is still alive..honestly..i can't think of any other MMO that gives it's players so much freedom. to be able to just go out there on a massive server and be any kind of player. The game takes itself seriously and i wish more MMO's did the same.

That would be nice, a game that actually does have a sense of "another world" about it. In EVE i'm pretty sure you can basically create your own police force and hunt down these scammers and pirates, imagine that in WoW... It would add so many more dimensions to the game.
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts

I still love this story about how a noob to the game temporarily brought the entire group, Goon, down.

MarkusReese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MarkusReese
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Heyo, just was browsing about, this issue is quite the deal on the eve forums, checking who else was talking about it. Just who I am, long time eve player, since 2008. Same name/same pic in eve. Just a short bit of info, might check back here later, who knows? Anyways yeah eve and this incident. Well peeps are quite correct, he is a head of goonswarm in eve. A griefing, pirate corp known for being the jerks of eve online. It is their image, and how they play. Eve's open sandbox play means that there is the scamming, and all that stuff, but it isn't as big as people think, just high profile. The statements occured at an event called fanfest, a once a year convention/party that they hold in Iceland. During which, one event is something called the Alliance board presentations where they get different groups and attitudes from eve to talk their play. This is where the statements occured. Unfortunately it overshadowed the previous presenters. Alliances like eve university who's entire foundation is working and supporting new players in an open environment. This was followed by a rather unknown person who would take people in to learn wormhole mechanics, etc. After was a group called gentleman's agreement who are very effective pvper's and coalition members with goons. They however are respectable and roleplay up to their name as being "gentlemen" in pvp. This is where it gets pretty dirty. They reach the end of the panel. The event is an open licenced event and the goonswarm and friends had quite a few too many drinks. His presentation was about those that are upset when they are killed to put it lightly. One could be considered serious in nature. Panel ended with lots of drunken swearing and laughing, Q&A began, the player who made the statements thought it would be funny to tell other players to target the one in game. News says alot, but in eve, a large majority of the community is taking it seriously. While quite true, eve is a pvp game. Original mechanics promoted and lauded scamming to great extent, with those that fell prey to have earned it so to speak. Over past few years, the makers of eve new they needed to have the game more mainstream, can be seen in their new trailers the focus for a new style. Part of that was formation of the CSM, a player representative group that brings issues the player base has to CCP, the makers of eve. The corporation (clan leader) had just been re-elected to the chairman of this group. 2012 is supposed to be the year where the game really hits the main audience. Many expansions and developments have been to ensure a better pve experience and a better place for rookies. His actions (as seen here) really negates that efforts. This brings me here, just making the statement, might copy it to paste it to other forums, dunno. Eve's co-op community. Eve has very extreme ends of the player spectrum, the griefers, and those that want to just work with rookies. I myself used to do this alot until I got more involved in sovereignty wars. Griefing exists in all games, just in eve there is no respawn or match end. You get scammed, items gone. But that is part of eve being a sandbox, and with talking to anybody who knows the game, it is easily avoided. On that topic, players to meet is even easier. It has probably the best new player help system of any game for one on one interaction. Between players who answer questions in the open help, and a player volunteer group who represent the company, it is some of the best new support you get. Outside of the pvp, there is alot that gets done. Industry is quite common, mission running, exploration, an assortment of tasks. Not going to sugar coat it though. Without others and variety, it can get boring. Eve is social based. It is all about working with other players. But it is some of the best online interaction of any game. Is why I have played for four years. Oh, and that it's skill system allows for dramatic customization and variation. No need to make a new character every 4 months either, I have original character from when I started and not even close to maxing a portion of skills out, there is that much. Closing, or TL:DR if it be that way. The thread. He hasn't retracted it. He sent the player a whole ton of isk (the in game currency and it was alot even for me) but due to his position at CSM, the game company, the rest of CSM and the involved are in closed talks to determine what repercussions will happen. Statements expected later this week. As I said, eve can be a harsh universe for those that don't understand it's mechanics, but from a social aspect, it is excellent, just need to find the group of people that match you. It is not like other MMO's where you can random raid form. I have very good friends in eve, some of the nicest people you ever will meet in a game. Well, enough time here, don't prejudge on the news. o/
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to write that out. I didn't really enjoy EVE, but I do enjoy all the stories that come out of it.

oakeshott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 oakeshott
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

I'd like to second the sentiments of the experienced Eve player above. I've only been on there about three weeks, but after my two week trial I was enjoying it enough to sign up for 6 months (figuring the subscription was about the same price as buying one new boxed game; in fact, it cost me a lot less than the ME3 CE!). As a newbie, there are always around 1000-2000 people in the 'help' channel, and your questions do get answered.

Plus, if you pay attention to what the game interface actually tells you, its really pretty tough to accidentally wander into a part of the game world where you are going to get ganked with no questions asked. I've lost several ships so far due to n00bism, but none to pvp; all were pve encounters that I got into either because I didn't pay enough attention to what I was clicking on, or didn't have enough tactical nous and knowledge to avoid defeat. If you stay out of low security regions of space, ywhere there are no npc cops to protect you, you are mostly immune from griefing, even if you are just solo-ing like I currently am while I learn my way around.

It is also a very beautiful game to look at, with full character customisation and some gorgeous spaceship and station models. Plus it can offer some intense real-time combat as well if that's more your thing. It really does offer complete freedom to play the way you want. Trade, or don't; fight, or don't; mine, or don't. Be social, or not. Join a corporation, or not. All up to you. You can have goals, but just like in life, you set them yourself, or in co-operation with other players. There's a skills system, with levelling up, but it's based entirely on time, not on gaining xp through grinding. Some skills cost a lot of time and money to learn, so you have to decide what to prioritise; again, its up to you how you want to build your character. For beginners, the interface is a bit overwhelming and text-heavy at times (its not quite Championship Manager In Space, but it's definitely a game that will appeal to hard-core sim devotees and spreadsheet lovers for its complex trading system, it even has its own stock market for heaven's sakes). But you get used to it pretty quickly.

At the very least, if you like video games, I'd recommend you try the free two-week trial. Even if you don't continue, it'll give you a sense of what a unique game this is. Not quite like anything else I've ever played, and I've been playing video games since the late 1970s (ouch)!

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
I expect nothing less from the EVE community.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

I expect nothing less from the EVE community.ShadowsDemon

I kinda feel embarrassed for you. Can you really be that ignorant?

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
[QUOTE="MarkusReese"]Heyo, just was browsing about, this issue is quite the deal on the eve forums, checking who else was talking about it. Just who I am, long time eve player, since 2008. Same name/same pic in eve. Just a short bit of info, might check back here later, who knows? Anyways yeah eve and this incident. Well peeps are quite correct, he is a head of goonswarm in eve. A griefing, pirate corp known for being the jerks of eve online. It is their image, and how they play. Eve's open sandbox play means that there is the scamming, and all that stuff, but it isn't as big as people think, just high profile. The statements occured at an event called fanfest, a once a year convention/party that they hold in Iceland. During which, one event is something called the Alliance board presentations where they get different groups and attitudes from eve to talk their play. This is where the statements occured. Unfortunately it overshadowed the previous presenters. Alliances like eve university who's entire foundation is working and supporting new players in an open environment. This was followed by a rather unknown person who would take people in to learn wormhole mechanics, etc. After was a group called gentleman's agreement who are very effective pvper's and coalition members with goons. They however are respectable and roleplay up to their name as being "gentlemen" in pvp. This is where it gets pretty dirty. They reach the end of the panel. The event is an open licenced event and the goonswarm and friends had quite a few too many drinks. His presentation was about those that are upset when they are killed to put it lightly. One could be considered serious in nature. Panel ended with lots of drunken swearing and laughing, Q&A began, the player who made the statements thought it would be funny to tell other players to target the one in game. News says alot, but in eve, a large majority of the community is taking it seriously. While quite true, eve is a pvp game. Original mechanics promoted and lauded scamming to great extent, with those that fell prey to have earned it so to speak. Over past few years, the makers of eve new they needed to have the game more mainstream, can be seen in their new trailers the focus for a new style. Part of that was formation of the CSM, a player representative group that brings issues the player base has to CCP, the makers of eve. The corporation (clan leader) had just been re-elected to the chairman of this group. 2012 is supposed to be the year where the game really hits the main audience. Many expansions and developments have been to ensure a better pve experience and a better place for rookies. His actions (as seen here) really negates that efforts. This brings me here, just making the statement, might copy it to paste it to other forums, dunno. Eve's co-op community. Eve has very extreme ends of the player spectrum, the griefers, and those that want to just work with rookies. I myself used to do this alot until I got more involved in sovereignty wars. Griefing exists in all games, just in eve there is no respawn or match end. You get scammed, items gone. But that is part of eve being a sandbox, and with talking to anybody who knows the game, it is easily avoided. On that topic, players to meet is even easier. It has probably the best new player help system of any game for one on one interaction. Between players who answer questions in the open help, and a player volunteer group who represent the company, it is some of the best new support you get. Outside of the pvp, there is alot that gets done. Industry is quite common, mission running, exploration, an assortment of tasks. Not going to sugar coat it though. Without others and variety, it can get boring. Eve is social based. It is all about working with other players. But it is some of the best online interaction of any game. Is why I have played for four years. Oh, and that it's skill system allows for dramatic customization and variation. No need to make a new character every 4 months either, I have original character from when I started and not even close to maxing a portion of skills out, there is that much. Closing, or TL:DR if it be that way. The thread. He hasn't retracted it. He sent the player a whole ton of isk (the in game currency and it was alot even for me) but due to his position at CSM, the game company, the rest of CSM and the involved are in closed talks to determine what repercussions will happen. Statements expected later this week. As I said, eve can be a harsh universe for those that don't understand it's mechanics, but from a social aspect, it is excellent, just need to find the group of people that match you. It is not like other MMO's where you can random raid form. I have very good friends in eve, some of the nicest people you ever will meet in a game. Well, enough time here, don't prejudge on the news. o/

Good to hear what you had to say. Hope you stick around.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]I expect nothing less from the EVE community.Sheppard212

I kinda feel embarrassed for you. Can you really be that ignorant?

If you say so.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

From what I was reading, a lot of people are calling for this guy to resign as chairman of the player council (or whatever you call it), which is probably a good idea.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Meh. I still don't get how can cyberbullying be taken seriously.

Losing his role in the guild over it? That's too bad.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MythPro1

Meh. I still don't get how can cyberbullying be taken seriously.

Losing his role in the guild over it? That's too bad.

N30F3N1X
Well, because people really have committed suicide over being cyberbullied. It's a hot issue now. He's lucky if he doesn't lose his account. He will step down as CSM chair though.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Regarding EVEs community. This is what makes a sandbox mmo fascinating to read about and why I like a proper sandbox. Unfortunately they are always douchebags but the point is that I think it's cool that a sandbox allows this stuff. Instead of having programmed npc night elf being the enemy, it's about the players. The players and their actions is the "lore", two big guilds fighting it out not because they chose between two sides that were programmed to be enemies(alliance vs horde example), but because they, the players, are enemies. We need more of these kind of games.

As for the statement, quite douchebaggy, hope there will be some consequences for the guy.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lawlessx
While we are on the topic on Eve online does anyone want to try it for 1.70? i have a coupon that takes 75% off the sale price.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 N30F3N1X

Well, because people really have committed suicide over being cyberbullied. It's a hot issue now. He's lucky if he doesn't lose his account. He will step down as CSM chair though. MythPro1

Suicide? Really?

Well that's natural selection at its finest then.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

I would classify this guy as an MWK. (MWM if he uses a mic)

jhalter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jhalter1
Member since 2011 • 302 Posts

at eve's annual fanfest a certain clan/guild leader happened to encourage cyber bullying.. he went so far to even name someone who was (or so he claimed) was socially unstable and that he should be bullied into suicide. CCp has launched a full investigatyion. it doesnt help that this clan is well known for having scammers, trolls and a variety of other scum and villany in its ranks.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/26/ccp-investigates-player-panel-that-encouraged-cyber-bullying/

as of this morning the guild leader had made an open apology.. but i feel that this punk should lose his guild/clan for this.. not like they were being very productive anyway by the sounds of things noted above:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/27/eve-online-cyber-bully-issues-formal-apology-for-crossing-the/

ionusX
Lol, the Mittani is pretty much an overgrown baby. Anyone that has played EvE anytime in the past 5 years should know that anything that man says is absolutely worthless. Seriously, the guy is a retired lawyer who spends his time trolling people in a video game about internet spaceships. It was funny at first, but now the whole GOON alliance is just depressing. That whole alliance is a shadow of its former self.
PC4lifeman2233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PC4lifeman2233
[QUOTE="JohnF111"] That would be nice, a game that actually does have a sense of "another world" about it. In EVE i'm pretty sure you can basically create your own police force and hunt down these scammers and pirates, imagine that in WoW... It would add so many more dimensions to the game.

A F2P space sim is going to come out this summer: http://www.gamersfirst.com/taikodom/ It's just a dumbed down EVE.
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MythPro1

[QUOTE="MythPro1"]Well, because people really have committed suicide over being cyberbullied. It's a hot issue now. He's lucky if he doesn't lose his account. He will step down as CSM chair though. N30F3N1X

Suicide? Really?

Well that's natural selection at its finest then.

That's a bit of a rash, close-minded statement.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ShadowsDemon
While we are on the topic on Eve online does anyone want to try it for 1.70? i have a coupon that takes 75% off the sale price.lawlessx
You mean on Steam?
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lawlessx
[QUOTE="lawlessx"]While we are on the topic on Eve online does anyone want to try it for 1.70? i have a coupon that takes 75% off the sale price.ShadowsDemon
You mean on Steam?

yes
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 N30F3N1X

That's a bit of a rash, close-minded statement. MythPro1

Uh not really. I've been playing games on the net since I was 6 years old, starting with Starcraft. I've been in more vocal trashings than I care to remember and I never felt down because of them, let alone considering anything like suiciding. It just seems plain retarded to me.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MythPro1

[QUOTE="MythPro1"] That's a bit of a rash, close-minded statement. N30F3N1X

Uh not really. I've been playing games on the net since I was 6 years old, starting with Starcraft. I've been in more vocal trashings than I care to remember and I never felt down because of them, let alone considering anything like suiciding. It just seems plain retarded to me.

Because you being able to handle it means everyone else can. Cyberbullying is not simply trash talking over an internet game either. Have a little empathy at least.

When a well-known character in the game, who also represents CCP as a company because of his CSM chair position, declares publically that 1000s of players should harass another player to the point that he kills himself, that is something to be taken seriously.

MarkusReese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MarkusReese
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hello everybody, Just passing down an update on the situation. the CSM player representative council and CCP, the game producers released the following announcement earlier today. Note all times are GMT for eve online. Edit: Sorry for pasting format being such a mess, here is a link http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=28576 alliance panel at fanfest 2012: the conclusion reported by GM Salmon | 2012.03.28 22:44:10 | NEW | Comments As some of you might have heard, one of the Alliance leaders speaking at the Alliance Panel during EVE Fanfest 2012 breached our EULA/TOS with some ill-advised remarks about a fellow EVE player. It goes without saying that CCP deeply regrets this incident and will work towards reducing any possibility of this happening again in the future. CCP requested that all panel PowerPoint presentations and discussion topics be handed in beforehand for approval. Regrettably, the offending comments were made during an unscripted Q&A session after the main presentations. Following a thorough internal review CCP has decided to respond to this clear violation of our Terms of Service and wholly inappropriate use of the Alliance Panel. According to our existing policies, we have issued a 30 day ban from EVE Online to the panel speaker. The policy of CCP is not to publicly discuss warnings and bans on an individual basis. This situation is entirely unique because the panel was displayed via CCP's Fanfest video stream component, a platform analogous to our forums. As a result we have published this statement due to the special circumstances involved. However, our policy remains that we will not publicly discuss warnings and bans. The panelist has subsequently posted a public apology as well as a private apology to the victim of his attack. He has also resigned from his position as Chairman of CSM 6 and has forfeited his right to serve on CSM 7. As per our policies, this candidate may be eligible to run at a later date subject to candidacy review. The Council of Stellar Management is a democratically elected council that represents the players of EVE Online. Although council members may represent the players in any manner they choose, being a council member does not permit actions or playstyles that violate our policies. GM Salmon VP of Customer Relationship Management Now some people might think the punishment of the ban being only 30 days is lax. Many in eve are calling for a permanent ban. However the opinion of the player to whom the comments were directed would have to be taken into account. According to what others who have spoken to the player have reported, he didnt know what happened, wasn't concerned and wasn't bothered by what was said during the presentation, accepted apology and was fine with it. In that respect, under the EULA for eve, a permanent ban would be unable to be enforced. However, I have worked with many newer players in eve, I used to run a corp where most were people frustrated with griefing, but stayed in eve for how it plays. I do know players with whom would have taken the comments seriously. In those cases, even out of the spotlight permanent bans are enfored. In the end that is up to the victim. As for me, saw somebody hoping I don't leave eve. Never an intention, I love the game, love the players I hang with, I feel the issue was also dealt with the best it could fairly be. Take more than the entire goon alliance to drive me out.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Was terrible news and people lost their positions over this, as they should have - the reaction has been just. [QUOTE="C_Rule"]Is the whole EVE community full of socially retarded juveniles? From what I read about what goes on in EVE, it may as well be called; /b/: The game.

As cut-throat as a game comes. That's part of the charm.