This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Before texture update

After update

RAGE 1.2 Patch Release Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
This RAGE patch adds some new features and addresses various compatibility and performance issues.

New Functionality
------------------------
Texture Detail: Enabling Texture Detail will improve up-close texture quality by performing upsampling with adaptive sharpening. This does not update or increase the resolution of the base textures included with the game but improves the perceived resolution and crispness of textures. This is an intensive operation and is only recommended if you have a quad-core CPU or higher. Please disable this feature if you encounter poor performance, stability issues or are given a notification that the game has run out of memory after loading a map. The Texture Detail option can be found in the Settings -> Video Menu.

Transcode Benchmark: A new benchmark has been added that determines how quickly texture data can be translated from the compressed format on your hard drive to a format that can be used by your video card. The higher your score, the faster your PC is able to make higher detail texture data available. This is not a traditional benchmark that runs through a scene of the game and returns a min/max/average framerate based on hardware and video settings. Other than the GPU Transcode option, the score will not be affected by changing any video settings. The Transcode Benchmark option can be found in the Settings -> Video Menu.

Error Messaging: If you attempt to apply video settings on a system that is not capable of handling them, an error may come up stating that your system ran out of memory. You will be allowed to continue, however, it is recommended that you either reduce your video settings until this message no longer occurs or you will be asked to restart the game with lower video settings. If you ignore this error and continue playing without altering your settings you will likely encounter texture corruption and/or system instability.

Automatic Video Settings Fallbacks: When an advanced video setting fails to apply, the setting may be set back to a safe default. Anti-aliasing will fall back to NONE if the allocation of a multi-sampled FBO fails. Texture Cache will fall back to SMALL when the allocation of a large texture cache fails. Texture Detail will fall back to OFF when large page table allocations fail. On failure, these settings will automatically fall back to safe values without the need for user input.

Patch Changes / Fixes
-----------------------------
- Fixed crash from potentially having stale transcode jobs in flight when switching between texture cache sizes.
- Fixed crash from using SIMD optimized memcpy with a PBO pointer that is not 16-byte aligned.
- Fixed GPU transcode option always turning off when restarting the game.
- Fixed progression in Dead City where player could not advance through sliding door en route to the defibrillator upgrade.
- Fixed CPU feature detection.
- Fixed issues with launching MP by using double quotes around path name.
- Fixed lack of texture detail on parts of the screen at high resolutions due to limited feedback analysis buffer.
- Fixed thread stack space usage and freed up 700 MB of virtual address space.
- Re-enabled UBOs.
- Adjustments to default VDM values for balance.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
it's abit late don't ya think?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
it's abit late don't ya think?lawlessx
For an 8 hour singleplayer fps, damn right it's late
Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]it's abit late don't ya think?wis3boi

8 hours!?

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="lawlessx"]it's abit late don't ya think?wis3boi

*cough* 12 hours *cough* and that's rushing, but still trying to complete some of its "extras".
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#6 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
I got RAGE for Xmas, but have been hooked on Skyrim, so that's great news for me. I'll probably get to it in a week or so, I'm about done with all the stuff I want to complete in Skyrim.
VeryBumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VeryBumpy
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts

The visual improvments are pretty much a joke and the cvars are still locked out.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts
it's abit late don't ya think?lawlessx
It definitely is a little too late. Not to mention, it's not improved enough for it to have been this long of a wait. Oh well, I guess I'll continue the game I never did finish it.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

finally, but where is the 64bit exe and mod tools? they should have been at launch...

Kolossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kolossi
Member since 2007 • 789 Posts

Oh good, gives me an excuse to restart RAGE on Nightmare difficulty.

retrogamer1971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 retrogamer1971
Member since 2011 • 111 Posts

Will definately give RAGE another playthru based on this news. It was already beautiful so this is icing on the cake. :)

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

I played it a bit on my old PC and found it a decent game not worth the hate that it got. Hearing about this new patch, I think I'll redownload it tonight on my new PC. Can't wait to actually finish the game this time.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Cool. Might give it a try again with this update. Thanks for the heads up.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
I still play the multiplayer from time to time and it sort of fills the Twisted Metal void I've had in my gaming.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Played it yesterday after the patch and it doesn't look much better TBH. The textures are still awful and its only to give the illusion of looking better at a distance, they said they still look bad up close. Also I agree that it's too late. It's like Crysis 2 when everyone played it forst and when the improvements came no one cared

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

The PC version should have been like this on release instead of kicking it to one side while they focussed on the console development so they could copy paste everything over to PC when they where done.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Hopefully they learned their lesson and will be doing doom4 properly (probably not though).

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11784 Posts

Well now, I will get RAGE on the next STEAM sale. I was hoping for patches to improve the game. I haven't played it yet, I was busy with other games. (now come on Batman DX11)

So late or not, better than never as it benefits me, and I know I am not the only one who has waited to get it.

BTW there is an obvious improvement between those 2 screenshots. Nice work, could of been done before launch, but nice work, especially if it really does fix performance issues at the same time.

lceberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lceberg
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Well now, I will get RAGE on the next STEAM sale. I was hoping for patches to improve the game. I haven't played it yet, I was busy with other games. (now come on Batman DX11)

So late or not, better than never as it benefits me, and I know I am not the only one who has waited to get it.

BTW there is an obvious improvement between those 2 screenshots. Nice work, could of been done before launch, but nice work, especially if it really does fix performance issues at the same time.

Lach0121
Agree.
CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

Played today,Still looks crap,The textures looks like a low res picture with its resolution upped,And just looks "pixellated"

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I don't think I've gotten that patch yet. I bought the game in a preorder discount deal and still haven't played it because I was waiting on their HQ texture patch. Guess this will have to do.
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

Not really impressed, textures are popping up as i approach them.

I just wish this game was fully moddable. We would have nice textures a long time ago.

BUT. I still like the game...

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
I don't think I've gotten that patch yet. I bought the game in a preorder discount deal and still haven't played it because I was waiting on their HQ texture patch. Guess this will have to do.guynamedbilly
There won't be any, some people just jumped to conclusions, they will not actually release 120 gigs worth of textures (or w/e the speculated number was).
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I am dissapoint, games still doesnt work for me, tried everything, but it runs on my laptop with crappy laptop drivers....go figure.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]I don't think I've gotten that patch yet. I bought the game in a preorder discount deal and still haven't played it because I was waiting on their HQ texture patch. Guess this will have to do.DanielDust
There won't be any, some people just jumped to conclusions, they will not actually release 120 gigs worth of textures (or w/e the speculated number was).

Don't see how this tech has a future when so much space needs to be used for decent looking textures.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I just wish this game was fully moddable. We would have nice textures a long time ago.

robertlie

The texture system doesn't work like that. Even with it fully modable, you can't just add new textures to the game world.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]I don't think I've gotten that patch yet. I bought the game in a preorder discount deal and still haven't played it because I was waiting on their HQ texture patch. Guess this will have to do.DanielDust

So pretty much what we have today is whats final? I was waiting for that huge texture update to make the game look REALLY good, but if it isn't coming then that is kind of disappointing.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Well, there is more detail now. It's a clever trick that works well enough. However the game doesn't look as clean as before, the textures have a very fine grainy look. Some people may be bothered, I think it adds a bit more weight, so to speak.

I wish people would focus on the large picture instead of individual textures. The game looks mindblowing - as long as you don't stare at a door from an inch away. It's ahead of its time.

robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

[QUOTE="robertlie"]

Wasdie

The texture system doesn't work like that. Even with it fully modable, you can't just add new textures to the game world.

Ok, i admit ignorance when it comes to the specifics concerning modding. It's just that those texture mods we all know from other titles comes to mind.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#30 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Don't feel like installing that 20+ GB just to play it through again with better texture.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Well, there is more detail now. It's a clever trick that works well enough. However the game doesn't look as clean as before, the textures have a very fine grainy look. Some people may be bothered, I think it adds a bit more weight, so to speak.

I wish people would focus on the large picture instead of individual textures. The game looks mindblowing - as long as you don't stare at a door from an inch away. It's ahead of its time.

Baranga

"As long as you don't stop to look, it looks pretty good"

What? It's not a racing game, you're going to get face to face with textures while playing.

fivex84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 fivex84
Member since 2006 • 1216 Posts

Not to late for me. *Waits for a Steam sale.*

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

topgunmv

"As long as you don't stop to look, it looks pretty good"

What? It's not a racing game, you're going to get face to face with textures while playing.

As long as you don't nitpick individual textures but take in the scene as a whole it's amazing.

Also there is plenty of racing and it's also a fast paced id shooter, so no time to stop and stare at a single texture unless you force yourself to:P